• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majik13

I personally, or immediately dont know any Trump supporters. I likely have some family back East that supported him, but I don't really ever interact with them. So I guess I am good on the front.

No one's saying anything about tolerating racism. But teaching people to fight bigotry doesn't address the big underlying problem, which is that this rural white america is poor, and feeling like their economic futures are hopeless. Teaching your children and students to face down bigots and tell them in their faces that they're wrong isn't going to put better food on their table or get them better jobs.

Trump gave them that promise and that's why they voted for him. Fix or at least try to fix those underlying foundational issues and the racism will be much easier to eliminate.

Rural white America believed a man who literally lied to them instead of anything else and fucked millions of people over in the process.

I'm sorry. They no longer have my sympathy. When the rust belt gets worse and they continue to get sweet lies instead of teaching reality that their Savior never have a shot about them in the first place, I won't pity them.

What is amazing to me is all this concern coming from Trump supporters that we need to be nice to them while they have offered nothing to people who are openly distraught about their future as minorities/gay citizens in this country.

"Divide won't get us anywhere!" It's like history rewriting itself in real-time. Trump voters supported hate and divide at every turn and we're just supposed to shrug it off and "be polite"? Nah, son.

Kinda crazy how many posters are saying people should respect peoples views. When you now have Trump as President.

The thread is asking "How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump," and so I answered how I am dealing with it. Getting up, going about my life, and being respectful to people. I might not agree with their views or respect their views, but I can still be respectful to a person even if they're not respectful to me or to other people who I respect. I'm not telling you how to live your life, I'm telling you how I live mine.

This is what works for me, maybe it doesn't work for you, that's your prerogative. It doesn't make me crazy.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Y'all just gonna ignore the increase in hate crimes after brexit huh? Luke that didn't happen. Like emboldening those that hate us doesn't do that?

Please.
Exactly, we literally have a near perfect example of what happened and not only that, some of the places here are WORSE than the mentalities in Brexit, holy shit fuck people saying "Just wait and see, just tolerate it." Fuck that. I got called a fucking nigger last night and people are saying we should tolerate this shit with open arms. :mad:

Talking to them. Got a bunch at work. They're very nice people on the surface so we just exchanged perspectives over coffee.

They just want change and *really* didn't like Clinton despite Trump not being ideal due to his rhetoric.
I have talked to them and at least for me not a single one has been able to empathize with me over the bad parts of a Trump presidency. Not a single one has reached out and supported me and said they were sorry if my right to marry goes away or if legal discrimination starts happening to me country-wide. Because they voted in an administration that would do both of those things gleefully.

It's very, very hard to look at them in a good light right now because all of the ones I know don't give a shit about me as a human being, and that's what some people in this thread are failing to grasp.

Squalor

No one is saying "everyone" is racist or sexist.

But it's crazy how every time a person of color points to racism or a woman points to sexism, straight, white, moderate men seem to always say "Nah, it's not that bad."

"People who voted for Trump."
You mean nearly half of the voters in America??

Stop marginalizing these people. This is how the Dems lost in the first place... by ignoring a growing population of people who want their voice to be heard. It started with the Bernie movement and has reverberated across America. The actions of the DNC forced Bernie out and are now paying the price for it. It will take a Tea Party-like movement from the left to reverse course.

Crossing Eden

What is amazing to me is all this concern coming from Trump supporters that we need to be nice to them while they have offered nothing to people who are openly distraught about their future as minorities/gay citizens in this country.
This too. They literally have NO solutions whatsoever besides "tolerate our intolerance, tolerate our stupidity, tolerate our backwards views."

No one is saying "everyone" is racist or sexist.

But it's crazy how every time a person of color points to racism or a woman points to sexism, straight, white, moderate men seem to always say "Nah, it's not that bad."
It's almost like they can't relate or something.

Incarmine

Banned
Rural white America believed a man who literally lied to them instead of anything else and fucked millions of people over in the process.

I'm sorry. They no longer have my sympathy. When the rust belt gets worse and they continue to get sweet lies instead of teaching reality that their Savior never have a shot about them in the first place, I won't pity them.

This rural white America learned today that their vote counts. It's most certainly going to return in following election years. And also most certainly will not be going away anytime before you or I die of old age, and needs to be addressed and not swept under the rug.

Realeza

Banned
Take a look around you. Chances are all these people next to you voted for Trump. It's concerning.

Luckily I live in a blue state where the majority of people in my county voted for Clinton, but still.

marrec

Banned
It's the day after election of someone who, by action and deed, is a bigot. I ain't going to tell minorities how to feel or to calm down or any stupid shit. Nobody needs to be on a high horse this morning dictating what the next step in our grand plan is.

We just gotta get to work.

Exactly, we literally have a near perfect example of what happened and not only that, some of the places here are WORSE than the mentalities in Brexit, holy shit fuck people saying "Just wait and see, just tolerate it." Fuck that. I got called a fucking nigger last night and people are saying we should tolerate this shit with open arms. :mad:
I ain't going outside today. The old angry white people who were stumping for that sock puppet have some hateful shit to say I'm sure. I regret putting pride stickers on my car now to be honest.

If I find out someone I know is a Trump voter, they are dead to me. I will engage with them the bare minimum possible and will not lift a finger to help them should they need it.

And no, this is not a sarcastic post. I'm deadly serious. If they're so intent on prioritizing other stuff over the well-being of people who aren't like them, fuck them. No time for that shit.

Irnbru

Of course not all of them are racist scum. They did however help put somebody in office that is giving racist bigots a voice, and it's really scary.

They made their bed with a man who in his first speech said my people were rapists, crminals, drug lords. It's the moral equivalent of "I'm not rascist but". No, you don't get a free pass.

This rural white America learned today that their vote counts. It's most certainly going to return in following election years. And also most certainly will not be going away anytime before you or I die of old age, and needs to be addressed and not swept under the rug.
It was addressed. The Dems said "your old jobs aren't coming back, but we will do everything we can try make sure you aren't left behind" and Trump lied to them and said he'd Dave their jobs and bring them back.

They believed a lie that trip minutes of Google searching would have shown to be wrong.

They made their own bed. Now they can lie it alone.

PopeReal

Also, are Trump supporters lecturing each other to be nice to minorities? To be tolerant of the gay community? To understand why people might want things like equal rights? To stop calling for the death or imprisonment of others?

Honestly, I haven't seen it.

Crossing Eden

I ain't going outside today. The old angry white people who were stumping for that sock puppet have some hateful shit to say I'm sure. I regret putting pride stickers on my car now to be honest.
Never regret being LBGT, or a POC, you were born that way, you have to live with it, revel in it, and take pride in who you are. Anyone who disagrees with the way you were born can fuck right off.

Also, are Trump supporters lecturing each other to be nice to minorities? To be tolerant of the gay community? To understand why people might want things like equal rights? To stop calling for the death or imprisonment of others?

Exactly, why is this "Be tolerant of others" shit directed solely towards the people who are tired of being treated like shit because of the way they're born? Those people ITT have no self awareness whatsoever yet are baffled by how we feel.

No, they're bragging about the fact that their warped worldview has been validated. It's all a big fucking joke to these people.

I'll just say to them, "Well, the Republicans control pretty much everything now, hopefully we can finally get rid of Social Security and Medicare to fix the budget." Then watch the look of horror on the old people's faces that voted for him.

Sydle

I don't know any Trump supporters and I live in Texas.

I can totally play the long game., so if I do meet any I will watch as they become increasingly frustrated over the next 4 years as their situation doesn't improve in any meaningful way, and when I see any one of them at their lowest, I'm going to remind them what they did and tell them they deserve nothing more.

Never regret being LBGT, or a POC, you were born that way, you have to live with it, revel in it, and take pride in who you are. Anyone who disagrees with the way you were born can fuck right off.
I know. I just need a day to recoup and recompose. Give my kid a hug when he wakes up.

This is just fucking brutal. Everybody gets a healthy dose of side eye from now on.

I knew it was bad here but I didn't think this meant people didn't give a shit about us.

It was addressed. The Dems said "your old jobs aren't coming back, but we will do everything we can try make sure you aren't left behind" and Trump lied to them and said he'd Dave their jobs and bring them back.

They believed a lie that trip minutes of Google searching would have shown to be wrong.

They made their own bed. Now they can lie it alone.
But maybe they weren't approached and talked to enough. Chill out.

Some people are suggesting the Dem's path forward is to lie and appeal to the racists.

If that's the way forward then I want out, I can't be a part of that shit. I'll brace the Scandinavian winters before I'm part of a country where both major parties pander to bigotry.

kaioshade

My GF's parents are Trump supporters. They have done some very nice things for me, but knowing that they think racism is ok, and electing a man who would love nothing more than to see me erased, made me cut them from my life. Shame, they werent entirely bad people.

Did Trump piss in your cereal this morning? He isn't even president yet, give him a chance. if it doesn't work out we vote someone else in 4 years from now. I wasn't a fan of Obama and I had to deal with him for 8 years and Obama care fucked me.

Some people are suggesting the Dem's path forward is to lie and appeal to the racists.

If that's the way forward then I want out, I can't be a part of that shit. I'll brace the Scandinavian winters before I'm part of a country where both major parties pander to bigotry.
At this point Scandinavia is the only place that won't be utterly destroyed by Trump's dangerous lack of collimate change awareness anyway.

Anybody gonna address how they literally voted for a guy who doesn't believe climate change is real? How they are LITERALLY dooming us all because of that?

Crossing Eden

I know. I just need a day to recoup and recompose. Give my kid a hug when he wakes up.

This is just fucking brutal. Everybody gets a healthy dose of side eye from now on.

I knew it was bad here but I didn't think this meant people didn't give a shit about us.
This is the first day my mother said to me today:

Sad we still live in a country where bigotry, sexism, assault of women and immigrants, racism, mocking of the disabled and women is acceptable behavior....but the one thing I am proud of is, as your mother, I worked very hard to teach you to be the best person you could be which is kind, honest, loving, and respectful of people and their feelings. You both make me proud every day bc you both are the exact opposite of what Trump is. Do not be upset he won...he will reek what he sow. We have always struggled and made a way. Everyone who voted for him will regret it bc they are the people who do not understand the rich does not care about us. This is just temporary. They will impeach him within a year.... Have a great day with a smile!! ��
And it brings me to tears because I can't imagine how fearful she is for me or my sister. Or our future kids. And the rest of our family that has to grow up in this world like this.

My next door neighbor who happens to be my father in law voted for Trump (he's white, and I'm black). I won't lie, I'm highly disappointed in him but all I can do at this moment is shrug it off and hope for the best. As painful as all this is, I wouldn't want this to cause a rift between us.

All the Trump voteres I know just try to be nice to everyone, regardless of race, sexuality, gender, etc. That doesn't mean they won't feel uncomfortable around people differently than them, but they're not bigots, just sheltered.
From talking to a few of them, most of them voted for Trump because their health premiums and taxes are going way up. Yeah, it's selfish, but that's what a lot of working class America cares about.

A quote from one of my friends that voted Trump:
"I am a white, straight, confessional Christian, politically conservative male. A significant portion of the country thinks I'm happy today. I am not."

My GF's parents are Trump supporters. They have done some very nice things for me, but knowing that they think racism is ok, and electing a man who would love nothing more than to see me erased, made me cut them from my life. Shame, they werent entirely bad people.

Let's all be super clear on this: anyone who is actively racist or misogynist is NOT a good person. They may know how to hide their proclivities in public. They may know how to be polite. They may have good table manners. But at their core they are bad and wrong people and you are not required to associate with them or "see their point of view."

Sydle

No, the DNC needs to get back in touch with blue collar workers about their economic situation and talk on their level. That's who they lost last night in WI, MI, PA, and NC. Obviously that demographic wasn't able to grasp the idea of her offering jobs retraining to get them back in the market and creating new jobs. They were more in favor of getting back their old jobs even if deep down they know it's not really going to happen.

At this point Scandinavia is the only place that won't be utterly destroyed by Trump's dangerous lack of collimate change awareness anyway.

Anybody gonna address how they literally voted for a guy who doesn't believe climate change is real? How they are LITERALLY dooming us all because of that?
They see being taxed a few cents more as being a more pressing issue than the future of the entire Earth or don't even believe in it at all. We're fucked.

Squalor

All the Trump voteres I know just try to be nice to everyone, regardless of race, sexuality, gender, etc. That doesn't mean they won't feel uncomfortable around people differently than them, but they're not bigots, just sheltered.
From talking to a few of them, most of them voted for Trump because their health premiums and taxes are going way up. Yeah, it's selfish, but that's what a lot of working class America cares about.
Boy are they in for a shock when Trump has no health care plan at all.

It got Trump into the White House.

Trump supporters don't get to flaunt their racism and misogyny at a rally on Monday and then show up on Wednesday and complain about hate and divide.
Yup yup
No, the DNC needs to get back in touch with blue collar workers about their economic situation and talk on their level. That's who they lost last night in WI, MI, PA, and NC. Obviously that demographic wasn't able to grasp the idea of her offering jobs retraining to get them back in the market and creating new jobs. They were more in favor of getting back their old jobs even if deep down they know it's not really going to happen.
Okay so how do we do that without lying to them or waiting for them to all die off?

So basically we need to feed their delusion or nothing?

That's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom