• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamPA

Banned
By actually talking to them and asking them the reasons why they voted the way they did. This happened because we shot down discussion and vilified people, so everyone who supported Trump just shut themselves up and we didn't even know it.

Calling everyone a racist right off the bat sure didn't help. I don't expect the discourse to change on this forum either. This is a very intolerant place.

This forum just can't comprehend that more taxes and regulation did not help the average working American.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm pretending they don't exist. I actually unfollowed and blocked a few people on Twitter who were making pro-Trump tweets.

thefro

Told my co-workers who were pushing him hard congrats, and that I hope he does a good job.

I'm going to take the high road until we see what actually happens in 2017.

My dad half-jokingly called my mom "a traitor" because she voted Hillary. He was one of those people justifying voting for Trump because he was "voting against Hillary, not for Trump", even though he thinks Trump is a joke.

When he asked, I just said I voted for the right candidate; I live at home and don't want to deal with any of his nonsense all day.

LosDaddie

Banned
You sat in your echo chambers and laughed when people (like me) warned you about the possibilities of a Trump presidency.

"Reality has a liberal bias."

"The Demographics are against him."

What you failed to realize is that reality is not what you believe it is. By isolating yourself in echo chambers like GAF, you are not in touch with the average American at all.

NeoGAF is a great forum for a lot of things, but it is so politically one sided that it is impossible for it not to have turned into an echo chamber. I fully believe Evilore doesn't want it to be one, but you cannot ban every conservative poster and hope to keep discourse from being one sided.

Middle America does not trust politicians or the media. They voted for someone who was reviled by the media and not are real politician.

May Odin help us all.

Great post 👍🏾

I'd also add that demonizing Bernie supporters, calling them BernieBros & such, because they weren't in love with Clinton did the Dems no favors. Dems need a large coalition of voters. Not ideologically pure ones.

Perfect can't be the enemy of good.

My dad half-jokingly called my mom "a traitor" because she voted Hillary. He was one of those people justifying voting for Trump because he was "voting against Hillary, not for Trump", even though he thinks Trump is a joke.

When he asked, I just said I voted for the right candidate; I live at home and don't want to deal with any of his nonsense all day.

You made the right move. Play the game until you find your own place.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Telling them all to fuck off. As well as the idiots who voted 3rd party or didn't vote at all.

legbone

I live in Arkansas. Gonna go to work just like any other day. People have been voting against their interests in this state for years. Bible belt, whaddya goin to do?

Iksenpets

Banned
Right now, I feel like half the country has done something unforgivable. I know that's a really bad place to be in, and prevents any healing from this disaster. I feel guilty for feeling this way, and hopefully with time I'll be able to move on, but right now I have nothing but anger and scorn.

I get it. People were suffering, felt ignored, but we're all judged by how we respond to adversity, and anyone who responds to their plight by lashing out at everyone else through a campaign like this deserves all the suffering the Trump years are going to bring. And all of us are going to be stuck suffering it with them.

breakfuss

Calling everyone a racist right off the bat sure didn't help. I don't expect the discourse to change on this forum either. This is a very intolerant place.

This forum just can't comprehend that more taxes and regulation did not help the average working American.

Fair enough. And we can discuss THOSE things. I don't think anyone is evil because they want lower taxes or don't believe in universal healthcare. Hell even the climate change deniers don't get to me. It's their opinion. But again, this is a man who spent years disparaging our sitting president because his father was Kenyan. Likened Mexicans to thugs and criminals. Conflates the Muslim diaspora with ISIS. LOL it's almost comical to think people are capable of overlooking that kind of thing. Sigh. My hope is that the few people I know who voted Trump voted that way *despite* the awful rhetoric and not because of it. That's just what I'll have to tell myself for the time being because otherwise I don't know that I can deal with them. Didn't know I'd be this in my feelings about it but here we are. Gonna be an interesting day.

You sat in your echo chambers and laughed when people (like me) warned you about the possibilities of a Trump presidency.

"Reality has a liberal bias."

"The Demographics are against him."

What you failed to realize is that reality is not what you believe it is. By isolating yourself in echo chambers like GAF, you are not in touch with the average American at all.

NeoGAF is a great forum for a lot of things, but it is so politically one sided that it is impossible for it not to have turned into an echo chamber. I fully believe Evilore doesn't want it to be one, but you cannot ban every conservative poster and hope to keep discourse from being one sided.

Middle America does not trust politicians or the media. They voted for someone who was reviled by the media and not are real politician.

May Odin help us all.

None of this surprised minorities, we just hoped enough people would cancel out what we know Middle America to be.

pj

Banned
We should shame them into the shadows so they only express their opinions on election day and ruin the country.

That'll work, right?

breakfuss

We should shame them into the shadows so they only express their opinions on election day and ruin the country.

That'll work, right?

Yes, some opinions are fucking shameful. Why are we so afraid to call it what it is? I'm so disillusioned with it all. Starting to see why so many simply don't care.

Crossing Eden

That'll work, right?
Yes, we are absolutely not tolerating, legitimizing, or accepting their views, full stop. I don't give a fuck if it hurts their feelings. The EC is what fucked everything up in the first place. The popular vote made the right choice. So fucking fuck trump supporters, fuck the alt-right, fuck the closet trump supporters, fuck 3rd party, and fuck the white moderate.

Squalor

They don't see their beliefs as being racist or sexist. They reject your labels and shaming, hell it probably emboldens them.

Expecting white people to vote for your politics while blanket shaming them is one of the reasons Hillary lost.

The spite vote was a real thing.
I'll call a spade a spade and a racist a racist. I couldn't care less if it lacks the awareness and cognizance to know what it is.

Actively trying to understand their rationale in a fair way. I'm of the opinion that intentionally trying to construe their rationale prior to this election is what led to where we are today.

But that's also my mentality. When something goes wrong, I look to see how I can change to get a different outcome next time.

Consider treating people how you would like to be treated....in all circumstances.

Yep.

Beartruck

If they think he'll bring prosperity back to the rust belt, I'll politely remind them the dow global market crashed 700 points overnight, and then tell them I hope they feel they made the right decision 4 years from now.

Crossing Eden

Consider treating people how you would like to be treated....in all circumstances.
When they're actively voting against my rights, then they absolutely are showing me how they'd like to be treated. I don't have the luxury of wondering, "Well maybe it won't be that bad."

SaganIsGOAT

With an open heart even though it's breaking at the moment. I can't hate anyone for this, all I can do is be the best person I can be to everyone at this point, even though it hurts. Compassion is my personal work going forward.

Squalor

"Hey, gay people and people of color, just treat those bigots over there who actively hate everything about you with the same respect you would like to receive!"

Fuck off, NeoGAF.

"Hey, gay people and people of color, just treat those bigot over there who actively hate everything about you with the same respect you would like to receive!"

Fuck off, NeoGAF.

Hey hey, no need to be disrespectful of opinions that don't align with your own! So what if they think you're sub-human filth? That's just their opinion bruh.

alternade

Just had 2 coworkers text me to gloat that the bitch was taken down. I don't think I'm gonna make it through this week without getting fired.

I finally unfollowed a long-time friend on FB after he shared a Russia Times link, of all things, about Putin congratulating Trump on the election. And this wasn't a ironic "you see, Russia's in bed with Trump, guys!" kind of thing, he constantly and unabashedly posts RT thinking it's an unbiased source. I guess this was the last straw.

Though I will always admire him to some degree for pulling himself out of an untenable living situation and forming what appears to be a very successful career at such a young age *while* dealing with severe depression and other personal issues, the truth is that I've steadily been losing respect for him for a good amount of time now (for multiple reasons, not just the election) and it just hurts, because out of all my friends, I think I related with him the most.

He'll probably remain my friend for the sake of group functions, but once I move away for the sake of my career (English major jobs in my area blow if you don't want to market or manage, and I don't see that changing, especially now), I don't plan to keep in touch with him.

Crossing Eden

"Hey, gay people, women, and people of color, just treat those bigots over there who actively hate everything about you with the same respect you would like to receive!"

Fuck off, NeoGAF.
Exactly, we literally had a thread about this shit, I'm so tired of this backwards ass "You should be nice to bigots" rhetoric. NO, i'm not gonna be nice to bigots, ever.

pj

Banned
Yes, we are absolutely not tolerating, legitimizing, or accepting their views, full stop. I don't give a fuck if it hurts their feelings. The EC is what fucked everything up in the first place. The popular vote made the right choice. So fucking fuck trump supporters, fuck the alt-right, fuck the closet trump supporters, fuck 3rd party, and fuck the white moderate.

IDK maybe try a different approach if the one you're using resulted in donald fucking trump getting elected?

You can't pretend those people don't exist and if you don't work with them, YOU are the one who's going to be cut out from the process, not them. They are going to control the entire fucking government starting next year.

The EC being terrible is an entirely separate issue. He won legitimately with the system we have in place.

marrec

Banned
I gotta work along side people who voted for Trump, low information voters who sweep aside accusations of racism, sexism, and bigotry because he is a "change agent".

I have to treat them with the same respect I treated them before, I knew they were misinformed and possibly bigoted, but I still have to work beside them and get shit done at my company with their help.

Oh my it's almost an allegory.

I've been saying all year that Trump voters aren't necessarily racist or bigoted or sexist and I obviously still believe that this morning.

I'm thinking of taking a martial arts class. I just want to beat a lot of people up, I'm white so it's cool.

More respect for Trump voters being honest than people who didn't vote for him reducing bigotry, ignorance and extreme gullibility to "different opinions."

It really is the middle you have to watch out for
I agree with this tho

In the next election, Dems need to make sure they factor in the racist vote and not offend those who want to strip rights from other human beings.

More respect for Trump voters being honest than people who didn't vote for him reducing bigotry, ignorance and extreme gullibility to "different opinions."

It really is the middle you have to watch out for

Of course that's true. Elections aren't decided by the extreme sides. They're decided by the moderates. At the end of the day, a viable candidate has to sway segment. There are far more moderates.

Squalor

Exactly, we literally had a thread about this shit, I'm so tired of this backwards ass "You should be nice to bigots" rhetoric. NO, i'm not gonna be nice to bigots, ever.
I thought about throwing "women" in there, too, but seeing as how Trump got 66% of college-educated white women, they threw themselves on the pyre.

God, all these white people acting like "get over it" without realizing how thks affects minorities for decades.

It's amazing hearing all of this.

In that other thread we were made fun of for comparing it to the Brexit vote but "get over it" and "we got our country back" are word for word things I heard repeatedly in the UK. We also had a large uptick in hate crime too. So enjoy that!

Foffy

Banned

And an orange clown promising jobs with a lifespan of a half-decade at best is going to help?

The biggest problem here was the one both the left and the right fail to admit is in chaos: jobs.

The demand for jobs the way we do is precisely we've engaged in self-sabotage, because what we want is not what we're ever, ever going to get anymore.

And no motherfucker has been clear and straight with the people that this is so, so instead we'll parrot lies and act surprised when Trump fails here, too.

People may be saying no to globalization, but these same people do not realize automation is the greatest tool of Capitalism. Not human capital, which we say needs to labor within it.

Until that is admitted, everything anyone can propose will be botched.

We must admit we need a landscape of empathy to care for people in a jobless future, however far that reality will reach for people.

My dad was for trump, tried to rub it in my mom's face. I told him to F off and he left mad.

I live in California so I can't really say I know trump supporters but they are here. Do I associate with them? Nope

My dad and I are really different people. He's an a hole so I'm not surprised he was for trump.

Crossing Eden

IDK maybe try a different approach if the one you're using resulted in donald fucking trump getting elected?

You can't pretend those people don't exist and if you don't work with them, YOU are the one who's going to be cut out from the process, not them. They are going to control the entire fucking government starting next year.

The EC being terrible is an entirely separate issue. He won legitimately with the system we have in place.
I'm not working with them at all, they consider me subhuman due to the color of my skin. I don't give a fuck at this point if I alienate a nation of bigots, sexists, and xenophobes. They alienate me on a daily basis, and news flash, it's not my job to try and respect people who consider me less, or try to educate them, they won't listen. They'll never listen.

Jetman

Been putting coworker's on the spot at work to explain Trump Healthcare, giving South Korea nukes, etc. And then berating them when they can't explain any of Trumps policies to me.
That's keeping a lot of them away from me seeing as most can't.

I live in Seattle (pretty damn blue) haven't met anyone that outright admitted they are a trump supporter yet. Plenty have had shown discontent with Hillary, but it's going to be interesting to see how many trump supporters suddenly pop up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom