• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me I'm more pissed about the quiet Trump voter or the third party or write in voter who assumed Trump would lose but didn't want to vote Hillary so they felt they'd have a clear conscious. I'm just going to be quiet about it and not confront them but just listen and see what they have to say for themselves.

By being super vindictive as their world continues to go to shit under Trump.

Not really, I just don't really talk to them about it. I live in a conservative leaning area sadly.

Not much to deal with, more upset with Dems than Republicans, and it's not like I expect much from people in Louisiana anyway.

SGRX

Going to ignore coworkers gloating and skip Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. Less gifts to buy at least!

The Lamp

My gf voted for Trump, and I still love her for whatever choice she has politically. I'm glad she exercised her right as an American citizen. Gonna marry this girl one day.

Must be nice to look forward to marrying your significant other.

I don't know if gay marriage will last with a completely red government and new SC Justice.

By realizing half of the country did too and people have different priorities and opinions.

Not going to agree with you often, but this is the correct answer.

No one stole this election guys, we fucked ourselves. Our generation needs to own up to the failure we are and act accordingly.

Last night I realized better than I ever have that everything everyone has ever said about middle America has been right, and if you don't empower them someone else will.

Poorly. Pissed as fuck and calling them a bunch of damn idiots.
One of my best friends voted Trump, and spent an hour or more last night telling her how completely and utterly disappointed in her I was. Almost wanted to tell her to go fuck herself. Have no urge to talk to her at all. Anger and resentment for me towards anyone who voted for this guy has really set in on my end.
And she's gonna go on with her life like nothing happened

alternade

I called out of work because it will be a shitshow and I can seriously see myself going off on someone.

All I can say as a gay black man, is that this just reinforces what I thought. That white people don't give a fuck about me.

I'm not. I don't believe I know a single person who voted for Trump (though I guess it's possible some just didn't want to admit it publicly). Aside from people I know, I have no time or fucks to give to them if they voted for Trump. I have no interest in anything they have to say. They voted for someone who is going to make things even worse for minorities like myself.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Bite my tongue and know that in a year or so they're going to be looking down the barrel of approval ratings that'd make Dubya say goddamn.

The honeymoon period's gonna wear off real quick once people actually have to drink down that our president, our nation's face to the world, is going to be popularly regarded as a trainwreck at speaking, diplomacy, empathy, graciousness, professionalism, you name it. It's one thing to display those things when you're running against a candidate your party has been furiously stroking a hate boner against for 20-odd years, it's quite another when that context is gone and he's just out there with his ass flapping in the wind.

The Republicans played themselves hard with a Trump presidency. If Hillary won, they could have had another four years of unchecked "everything's terrible" smokescreen-laying no matter how well she was actually performing, and cashed in big on it in 2018 and 2020 with some candidates that weren't so polarizing and objectively vile as Trump. Now that they've embraced the presidency of, jeez, just the worst candidate possible and an all-around terrible human being, they'll be lucky if their party's not seen as radioactive for years to come.

Squalor

They are awful, racist, and sexist people. I will continue to avoid them. Trump is going to ruin this country, and these idiots are still going to blame minorities.
My gf voted for Trump, and I still love her for whatever choice she has politically. I'm glad she exercised her right as an American citizen. Gonna marry this girl one day.
Her self-hate is strong.

diunxx

Just called one an ignorant asshole and the girl that sits next to me was saying that white men keep fucking shit up for everyone else.

FeD.nL

Me I'm more pissed about the quiet Trump voter or the third party or write in voter who assumed Trump would lose but didn't want to vote Hillary so they felt they'd have a clear conscious. I'm just going to be quiet about it and not confront them but just listen and see what they have to say for themselves.

Perhaps this is me being oblivious since we have a multi-party system where I live.

But why would you be pissed on people that neither voted for Trump nor Clinton. I can completely get that someone doesn't have strong feelings for either candidate. Why should they be forced to vote on a candidate they don't approve of just to make sure another candidate doesn't get the office. Like how is that democracy?

Basically why is your system so fucked up?

Jetman

And she's gonna go on with her life like nothing happened

Without me in it. One less stupid, dumb ass in my life.
I could just pretend to be nice, but in the back of my head, I'm just going to judge her and every Trump voter for what they are. Might as well be honest about it.

Go on with my life because he can't actually do much in St the first sight of any freedom being taken away from people there will be major protest so just a waiting game.

Thankfully I've never met a Trump supporter in person and will probably not meet one anytime soon.

If I met one I would ask them what they hope Trump will do and then I would explain to them what he will actually do and how it hurting them.
Shits not that complicated. Even the densest idots will understand that they voted against their own self interest if you explain it well.

More respect for Trump voters being honest than people who didn't vote for him reducing bigotry, ignorance and extreme gullibility to "different opinions."

It really is the middle you have to watch out for

Pepboy

Bite my tongue and know that in a year or so they're going to be looking down the barrel of approval ratings that'd make Dubya say goddamn.

The honeymoon period's gonna wear off real quick once people actually have to drink down that our president, our nation's face to the world, is going to be popularly regarded as a trainwreck at speaking, diplomacy, empathy, graciousness, professionalism, you name it. It's one thing to display those things when you're running against a candidate your party has been furiously stroking a hate boner against for 20-odd years, it's quite another when that context is gone and he's just out there with his ass flapping in the wind.

We'll see, but I think he's somewhat energizing to his base. He knows how to be charismatic to certain groups. If he gets in a major war, probably his approvals drop. But if he simply acts unpresidential but retains that pro-American flavor (e.g. calling other state leaders idiots), I think only the educated (who already dislike him) will react.

Of course there's also pending lawsuits and if he starts straying from his populist speaking points, it might collapse.

Squalor

More respect for Trump voters being honest than people who didn't vote for him reducing bigotry, ignorance and extreme gullibility to "different opinions."

It really is the middle you have to watch out for
The moderate white people on NeoGAF are showing their true colors.

"Progressiveness" and "liberalism" are intolerant of the intolerant, so we're to blame.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
You sat in your echo chambers and laughed when people (like me) warned you about the possibilities of a Trump presidency.

"Reality has a liberal bias."

"The Demographics are against him."

What you failed to realize is that reality is not what you believe it is. By isolating yourself in echo chambers like GAF, you are not in touch with the average American at all.

NeoGAF is a great forum for a lot of things, but it is so politically one sided that it is impossible for it not to have turned into an echo chamber. I fully believe Evilore doesn't want it to be one, but you cannot ban every conservative poster and hope to keep discourse from being one sided.

Middle America does not trust politicians or the media. They voted for someone who was reviled by the media and not are real politician.

May Odin help us all.

BlitzKeeg

Same here. When it all goes to hell they'll no longer have a black president to blame. Instead it will be their own mistake and people will realize just what they've done.

Thabass

No difference. It's their right to vote for whomever they choose. I don't have to like or agree with their decision. But it's there's.

Friends and co-workers can disagree, even on major things and still get along.

Squalor

Quite. They certainly didn't have any problems blaming Bush's mess on Obama.
When Trump's policies obviously screw over the lower- and middle-class white people who voted for him, he will say it's Obama's fault. They will believe him.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
They won't, though. They won't.

When everything goes to hell they're not going to blame themselves. The Republicans will roll out a new story about which non-white group is poisoning America next.

In fact, I expect the first contestant will be: undocumented immigrants again. Trump won't build the wall, likely won't start the horror of mass deportation, so they will remain a whipping boy for furious whites to blame everything on.

Also black people will continue to remain No Angels, so there's that.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
"Racism and sexism: They're just opinions, man."

"Middle America" is just even more racist and sexist than we already knew it was.

They don't see their beliefs as being racist or sexist. They reject your labels and shaming, hell it probably emboldens them.

Expecting white people to vote for your politics while blanket shaming them is one of the reasons Hillary lost.

The spite vote was a real thing.

I said this months ago and was laughed at. Until the DNC drops the regressive left they are going to have a hard time convincing moderates to vote for Democrat candidates.

I am sorry everyone, I did my part, but my vote was in Texas. So it didn't matter.

shandy706

Shrug and move on with my life? They're just people, some of them misguided, some of them stupid/idiots/ignorant....but that's not unusual.

I brush it off like I always do. We get another chance to vote in 4 years. I didn't vote for trump, but knew he'd win my state despite my voting otherwise.

Oh well, I keep on trucking. I'm the kind of person that can suck anything up and move on though.

takriel

I called out of work because it will be a shitshow and I can seriously see myself going off on someone.

All I can say as a gay black man, is that this just reinforces what I thought. That white people don't give a fuck about me.

a bit more than 50% of white people. the other 40+% love you, man. stay strong.

Beefy

I'm not American. But like how some posters are saying people should respect Trump supporters views.

This is the same Trump that:

Openly mocked a autistic person.
Is racist
Has many abuse cases against him
Is openly sexist
Doesn't give a shit about LGBT
Etc etc

I am sorry but I couldn't respect a person that voted for that.

CHC

I'm more upset with people like my father-in-law.... Filipino immigrant who is a high-earning doctor in PA. Didn't get off his ass to vote for Hillary probably because he was watching a stupid basketball game or eating.

I mean, I love the guy but I explicitly blame the results of this election on people like him.

Gonna go about things as usual. Everyone has different reasons for voting why they did. I don't mind talking about it. But we'll see how he does. I'll ask then

Edit: Even as a Hillary supporter I do feel the need to say that gaf could learn a thing or two as a whole. I never really saw any productive conversations here as to why people voted for who they voted for. Just anger, which granted a lot of it was justified, but still.

iavi

I'll let you know when I have to talk to my boss today.

Same. My office was trump as well.

As a minority reliant on health coverage from the ACA, I'm deeply disturbed by all this, but the best we can do is lie low for the next two years, gather up regroup and actually come out in the midterms.

I'm not losing my job over this. No point in flaming out with the DNC

blackflag

Its just knowing people are looking at me thinking I'm a racist that voted for Trump. I didn't but I fit the profile.

Ashamed of my country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom