• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Those who have read the Highschool of the Dead manga can confirm that there is a character with your name and which resembles you a lot, be it in his appearance or his passions.

It's a detail from Shouji Satou, who didn't tell me! Maybe you know already, but at the origin of HotD there is a story by Daisuke Satou, someone I know well and who asked me for advice for a manga adaptation. I didn't think I was suited to draw zombies and so I advised him to talk with Shouji Satou, who I thought was very good. Looks like it made Satou so happy that he decided to inset me in the manga without telling me (laughs).

I was reading a translation of this interview to Kouta Hirano and I thought that question was fun.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 149

Im soooo so happy that Mikan didn't just fall head over heels because of the confession

And Oka's smile is so precious
Jtqj3GI.png

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch470

Carol is really enjoying this.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch149

That was nice. For once they honestly smiled.

S Watari-san to M Mura-kun ch4

If anything, his fortitude is to be commended.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch847

Huh, I wonder who was it that Lola was supposed to marry.

My Hero Academia ch117

The Naruto parallels are getting crazy blatant here.

Shokugeki no Soma ch193

Quite a convenient way to rush things, but then again this arc has been a disappointment.

I'd argue it's only expanding them!

(NSFW) Orc girls love handsome guys by Odd

Seems like it's the author's first h-doujinshi. Still, the art is pretty good, and orc girls are love~

Thanks for posting this lol

Muscular orc women yas~~~

I will say though I wished the orc women were a bit more brutish in attitude, closer to the male counterparts in the background. Glad I read this though because it makes me want to write a story about a trio of strong orc sisters or something

Deadly

One Piece
Things are rather grim but it seems it's about to turn around. The counter attack is rather hyyypee.

MHA
This was going to happen eventually. What's more interesting is what will happen afterwards.

Shokugeki no Soma
Seems like we're reaching the end of this arc. 4v4 match? Sounds cool. Can't wait to finally get the truth bombs.

Arabesque

Shokugeki, no specific chapter, but just thoughts on the Azami/Central stuff

Man, this entire Azami stuff had been so mishandled, I don't know what to say.

It felt that at first, the introduction was very well done. Azami entered into the story with a bang, and the set up of showing the Elite 10 (in particular Tsukasa) as being an upper classmen who are the top of the school and everyone wants to aim for their spot was a great way to introduce them before shifting the focus to them being major antagonists of the series, following the central villain of the manga.

And as much as it had been a slog, the idea of giving the series a big bad wasn't a terrible one. It would have helped a lot with focusing on a major conflict rather than the manga jumping from one event to the next, which might have gotten old real quick.

But 60 chapters in, it all feels like Tsukuda is just introducing plot lines and then dropping them once he feels like he isn't liking where they are going or the audience is just not receptive to them.

We seen the story fast skip to the end of the Research Society battle for survival, and now we see the same thing happen with all the rallying cry Erina gave everyone to "follow her" being thrown away because no, now we are done with the exam, Erina failed to get everyone to be second years by following her, it's just a straight up team battle now. It just hurts the story, because nothing ever goes through to its climax like it used to in the previous exams or tournaments that we had seen.

It's even worse since seeing who are the 4 first years that are going to be probably end up on the E10, it's literally just the top 4 from the polls readers voted on for "Who do you want to see be the first seat/part of the Elite 10?". Soma, Erina, Aldini and Megumi. Even if I am a fan of them, it feel cynical when the story has set up more interesting choices for the seats or matches than the 4 the fans wanted.

I guess I miss the good mood Food Wars used to give back when it was Iron Chef meets Battle Royal rather than it trying to be dark and serious. There are still moments when it gets back to that, but it is all undercut by Azami's plot finding its way in everything.

cntr

Banned
My Hero Academia ch117

The Naruto parallels are getting crazy blatant here.
Yeah I guess this is a more direct reference, but I'm pretty meh on Naruto comparisons in general since most of them are stupid and it makes people say stupid things. And speaking of...
Boku no Hero Academia - 117

Are they seriously going to pull a Sasuke? Oh my god please no...
Bakugou literally refused to pull a Sasuke two arcs ago, so no.

Bakugou's in an interesting position, he can either realize that strength isn't everything, or refuse to accept it and go down the route to becoming Endeavor 2.0. Or somewhere in between. Next chapter's gonna be interesting.

Arabesque

Boku no Hero Academia - 117

Are they seriously going to pull a Sasuke? Oh my god please no...

I feel this is way worse? I mean, Sasuke went down this route because he just met up with the guy who killed his parents and entire clan, and was frustrated with how weak he still was.

Bakugo is just pissed off because the guy he used to bully grown up to be a better and more respected person than himself. Unless he can make Deku feel small, Bakugo can't feel like he's the best.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zweizer lies. There were no handsome guys. Betrayed, but ultimately it's my fault for trusting a degenerate.

Haly

Fuck certain points of view.

From a certain point of view Hitler was a hero.

What do you have to say to that, huh!?

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah I guess this is a more direct reference, but I'm pretty meh on Naruto comparisons in general since most of them are stupid and it makes people say stupid things. And speaking of...
Bakugou literally refused to pull a Sasuke two arcs ago, so no.

Bakugou's in an interesting position, he can either realize that strength isn't everything, or refuse to accept it and go down the route to becoming Endeavor 2.0. Or somewhere in between. Next chapter's gonna be interesting.
This is a more logical assumption.
I feel like the mangaka is trolling readers when he does something similar to naruto just to switch it up. I like that.

Shokugeki, no specific chapter, but just thoughts on the Azami/Central stuff

Man, this entire Azami stuff had been so mishandled, I don't know what to say.

It felt that at first, the introduction was very well done. Azami entered into the story with a bang, and the set up of showing the Elite 10 (in particular Tsukasa) as being an upper classmen who are the top of the school and everyone wants to aim for their spot was a great way to introduce them before shifting the focus to them being major antagonists of the series, following the central villain of the manga.

And as much as it had been a slog, the idea of giving the series a big bad wasn't a terrible one. It would have helped a lot with focusing on a major conflict rather than the manga jumping from one event to the next, which might have gotten old real quick.

But 60 chapters in, it all feels like Tsukuda is just introducing plot lines and then dropping them once he feels like he isn't liking where they are going or the audience is just not receptive to them.

We seen the story fast skip to the end of the Research Society battle for survival, and now we see the same thing happen with all the rallying cry Erina gave everyone to "follow her" being thrown away because no, now we are done with the exam, Erina failed to get everyone to be second years by following her, it's just a straight up team battle now. It just hurts the story, because nothing ever goes through to its climax like it used to in the previous exams or tournaments that we had seen.

It's even worse since seeing who are the 4 first years that are going to be probably end up on the E10, it's literally just the top 4 from the polls readers voted on for "Who do you want to see be the first seat/part of the Elite 10?". Soma, Erina, Aldini and Megumi. Even if I am a fan of them, it feel cynical when the story has set up more interesting choices for the seats or matches than the 4 the fans wanted.

I guess I miss the good mood Food Wars used to give back when it was Iron Chef meets Battle Royal rather than it trying to be dark and serious. There are still moments when it gets back to that, but it is all undercut by Azami's plot finding its way in everything.

How can you be against it if it enabled a soma taku e10 seats.

Only failed potential was again not showing the prince of smoke cooking battle...

upandaway

One Piece

Looks like we've hit rock bottom and are starting to climb up (or just fall deeper again). I was somewhat confused because I thought it was Lola who was married to Bege, didn't notice it was actually her sister.

Really curious who Lola's marriage was supposed to be to, if it was so important that it could have made Big Mom pirate king.

My Hero Academia

Looks like failing the test was the straw that broke Bakugo. I do think he can keep the secret but he definitely needs a wake up call.

Didn't read Naruto so I don't know the context for the comparisons, but Bakugo's 100% not going to defect from the good guys. I don't think he'll become an Endeavor either. Endeavor is basically a failure in the manga, an example of what not to be, making Bakugo grow up to a similar conclusion would be flying in the face of everything the manga stands for.

One Piece

Looks like we've hit rock bottom and are starting to climb up (or just fall deeper again). I was somewhat confused because I thought it was Lola who was married to Bege, didn't notice it was actually her sister.

Really curious who Lola's marriage was supposed to be to, if it was so important that it could have made Big Mom pirate king.

My Hero Academia

Looks like failing the test was the straw that broke Bakugo. I do think he can keep the secret but he definitely needs a wake up call.

Didn't read Naruto so I don't know the context for the comparisons, but Bakugo's 100% not going to defect from the good guys. I don't think he'll become an Endeavor either. Endeavor is basically a failure in the manga, an example of what not to be, making Bakugo grow up to a similar conclusion would be flying in the face of everything the manga stands for.

I've heard people theorize that Lola was supposed to marry a celestial dragon. Would also explain why they wouldn't accept a substitute when she ran away

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This week's TOC:

Cover/Lead Color Page: Ole Golazo (NEW series by Takamasa Moue)
One Piece
The Promised Neverland
Kimetsu no Yaiba (Center Color)
Haikyuu!!
My Hero Academia
Demon's Plan (Center Color)
Shokugeki no Soma
Black Clover
Samon the Summoner (Center Color)
Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
Yuna of Yuragi Manor
Gintama
Hinomaru Zumou
Amalgam of Distortion (First Ranking)
Tera-chan (Oneshot)
Spring Weapon No. 01
Red Sprite (END)
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Welp, so much for Amalgam being a thing. Spring Weapon's first ranking is next week, but the fact they're already putting it at the end of the magazine does not bode well.
Also, RIP Red Sprite. Viz needs new content now.

convo

My Hero Academia

I don't know about any Sasuke comparison either,but what i see in Bakugo's actions is that he wants to find out if Deku is really worthy of All Mights power by himself.
No way in hell is he gonna tell villians about this secret. All the shit talking he does right here is only surface level. People are going down too hard on this brat.

cntr

Banned
I don't think he'll end up as Endeavor, but he's going to start going down that path if he can't overcome his problems.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Boku no Hero Man, I hope Baku wins. Kinda rooting for the kid and I usually have a stick up my ass against bully characters.

One Piece Continues to be the best freaking arc in a looooong time! I love Big mama as a villain and more importantly, I remember why i love Luffy so much as a main character. That boy is just plain obstinate, and I love when villains get frustrated with him. Also, next chapter Brook finally has a time to shine!!!!

Haikyuu!! 232
CyCbxVAWgAAPRoU.jpg:small

I guess Furudate needed more time to draw the next match so he opted for this plot, which was nice. Shimizu getting probably her last bit of development before passing the torch onto to Yachi when Karasuno loses this tourney and we go into year 2 with them winning.

Kanagawa looks like they will probably lose.

He's jumping even over Nishinoya !!!
CyCcitRWEAI361V.jpg:small

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Magi 329 Now I remember why i always lose track of these chapters... Anyway, Sinbad must have take real offense to the "You're human, just like me!" comment.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

Megumi, Elite 10 concept still making me laugh. Apparently Megumi agrees it's absurd.

LeleSocho

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma - 193
Oh my i love these super scenic entrances, who knows what the heck this "irregular shokugeki"! Excited for the next chapters!

One Piece - 847
I wonder how many cigs is Sanji smoking lol, must be the most nervous moment of his life.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki 194 Preview

Azami: "Ah, but Yukihira, you have nothing to bet that I would want."
Soma: "You can have my dad."
Azami: "You got yourself a goddamn deal."

bobohoro

One Piece 847

Big Mom and her kingdom keep being a really fucked up. That book storing living things was rather horrid.
And I do wonder where Luffy's confidence comes from. After his earlier failures as a captain endangered his crew I actually though he wouldn't be such a loud-mouth without being able to back it up. And i just can't see him beating down Big Mom in any shape or form, a surprise attack and getting away with Sanji and a few others might be considered a big success already.

Next chapter will be fun.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 149

That went well, lovely smiles all around.

Shokugeki no Soma 193

I hate the fact that Erina regressed once more as a character. It's annoying.
Good thing the author is speeding things up dramatically so we can get this over with.

MHA 117

Bakugo is handling this rather well I think. His big idol choose the whiny nerd he bullied as a successor, of course he is incredibly irritated by it. Can't see him going rouge or anything like that, since he refused that already. Just maybe it is time to accept Deku and work together in the future.

Angry Grimace

Shokugeki no Soma 193

I hate the fact that Erina regressed once more as a character. It's annoying.
Good thing the author is speeding things up dramatically so we can get this over with.

How do you figure she regressed as a character? Like what are you even talking about?

Haly

I think he means how she went full dere.

EDIT: Just read the latest chapter. I think Erina's in damsel in distress mode (like old Tadokoro) which can be a kind of regression?

One Piece 847:
Man, Big Mom is awful. I'm looking forward to seeing Luffy eventually take her down.

Really curious to find out more about the marriage that Lola ran away from. It must have been something absolutely massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom