• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

WeTeHa

Hm...I tried rotating them because somme said you could face the interfaces inside the base, but I can't seem to find a room I can do that from. I must be missing something.
Just build a cuboid room and have 3 facing into the room. Then a corridorfrom the cuboid room.

magawolaz

a7znH3a.gif

Spaking of resources: Do Vortex Cubes register on scans? If so, what's their icon?
On planetary scans the red ones do, grey ones don't. At least that what I noticed in two systems with them.
On the visor scan they both have the purple icon, as 8byte said

I think Sean has been working on a new cloud technology.

He is. One of the first things he mentioned after the release of NMS.

Is Creative mode even something that is worth choosing over Normal mode? Sounds like unlimited health and resources kind of ruin the overall point of the game being about exploring dangerous new worlds.

somme

Hm...I tried rotating them because somme said you could face the interfaces inside the base, but I can't seem to find a room I can do that from. I must be missing something.

Just build a cuboid room and have 3 facing into the room. Then a corridorfrom the cuboid room.

Yeah I built a cuboid room, then built the storage containers and rotated them s the interface was attached to a cuboid room.

He is. One of the first things he mentioned after the release of NMS.

Is Creative mode even something that is worth choosing over Normal mode? Sounds like unlimited health and resources kind of ruin the overall point of the game being about exploring dangerous new worlds.

To me it's more about the exploration side of what you said and less about the dangerous. When i'm finished with Normal mode then Creative will probably be my default type for NMS.

Sometimes you just want to pootle about building stuff and looking at the pretty views, it doesn't have to be about fighting every 2 minutes for me to find it interesting and compelling.

I'm trying to be positive about this, but I really don't get some of the criticism surrounding Survival mode.

At the start I get it. I walked for 5 minutes on a freezing cold planet to find my ship and got taking in by the new patch. I never realized - because I had no idea how the systems worked - what was happening to my health and life support. This is a hangover from the original game, where we had become complacent. You could just recharge everything easily. No need for upgrades or more slots in your suit, just walk over there for a second and recharge everything with just a couple of elements. I don't know why anyone would have expected that then, let alone now in a Survival mode?

I just wasn't prepared for what I had to do. Before, the only real need to upgrade my protection or life support was on a very extreme planet, but even then it was easy to recharge everything. Now, you actually have to think about whether you can even land on a planet. And why shouldn't you? A ship's slot can carry 500 of an element. Two slots can carry 1000 Plutonium. That's 5 take offs. Taking off is now a responsibility. It's tough at the start, yes, but surely that was the wake up call? It was to me. That's when I realized, "If I don't have the Plutonium to lift back off, then I shouldn't be landing at all". That's down to me.

But what happens when you land on a planet? Again, if I don't have the required elements, then I need to find them first. Thamium9 is number 2 on the list of most important elements. It maybe harder to mine Iron in space to fuel your Pulse drive, but you only need 50 Thamium9 to recharge your life support and it's out there. Two slots of an exo suit hold 10 recharges. If you don't have any of that then you're back to the Plutonium mixed with Carbon. I haven't even upgraded any of the systems required for on-foot, but I know that if I prepare my inventory before hand, I'll be fine. So I'll be even more fine when I find the upgrades for life support. Those upgrades that never made any sense before, are you sure they won't make it a hell of a lot easier now? That's where we've become complacent. I installed those upgrades and never saw the point, so I forgot about them, but they are probably integral to how you move about in this mode. Not forgetting the increased importance of linking upgrades together.

Not all planets are going to be devoid of the 4 elements you really need, so stock up. What I do is divide them between my suit and ship. That way, if i die, at least I have enough resources to carry on.

Cmagus

Just made a new base on a planet that's 90% water it's a pretty cool looking planet but now I need to finish the builder quest line so I can get some glass going. I can't believe how many hours I've sunk into this game since the update. I kind of wish they would adjust the amount of energy it takes to launch down abit. 25% every time is a bit much it should be like 10% that way you can get a few launches out of a full charge. I keep finding myself not landing because of limited plutonium and the nature of the game and hopping around it would be nice to not always have to stop to find plutonium.

mcfizzle4

I asked this question in the Foundations thread as well, but how do I see the different space stations to teleport to from my base terminus? I'm on to my 4th or 5th space station and only see the last one I came from when back at the base rather than all or at least multiple of them. Did I miss something?

Cmagus

I asked this question in the Foundations thread as well, but how do I see the different space stations to teleport to from my base terminus? I'm on to my 4th or 5th space station and only see the last one I came from when back at the base rather than all or at least multiple of them. Did I miss something?

I believe if you return to your base and warp to a different area and start on a new path it'll put the two in your list. I warped around solar systems and then I returned to my base and warped on a different path from my original solar system and when I used the teleporter it save both of the stations in the two areas I was in. I could be wrong though because that's the only time I've had two options.

somme

I have four but no idea how I got them there - other than simply visiting them. Sorry!

Unicorn

Just made a new base on a planet that's 90% water it's a pretty cool looking planet but now I need to finish the builder quest line so I can get some glass going. I can't believe how many hours I've sunk into this game since the update. I kind of wish they would adjust the amount of energy it takes to launch down abit. 25% every time is a bit much it should be like 10% that way you can get a few launches out of a full charge. I keep finding myself not landing because of limited plutonium and the nature of the game and hopping around it would be nice to not always have to stop to find plutonium.
Well, survival has it take 100%

Loudninja

So is the update finally available on PC?
The Experimental branch is on going

Currently on Experimental

- Following reports of some people experiencing issues with the game while unsupported mods are installed, we’ve added mod detection which will show a warning screen on loading when mods are detected. A click or button press will dismiss this screen.

- Allowed remapping of the build menu and quick menu commands to support Azerty keyboards.

- Fixed an issue which, in some rare cases, prevented NPCs from giving you mission critical dialogue.

- Fixed a bug which could cause core items to be transferred from exosuit inventory to starship inventory. Note: this is a preventative fix and won’t fix the issue for those who have already experienced this bug. We have a cure for those who have experienced on the way, it’ll be released in our next patch.

- Following player feedback, we have clarified messaging when being given tech that you already know.

- Fixed a number of rare crashes (if you continue to experience crashes, please send a crash report and include your crash dumps).

- Fix for monitor detection on PCs with 3rd party remote desktop or screen sharing applications.

- Running the game via the .exe file should no longer give Steam Init errors.

Newly added on 2nd Dec

- We've enabled a temporary workaround for the SLI issues people are experiencing. If you are running in SLI, please disable TAA and the game should run. We are currently talking to Nvidia about a more permanent solution for this issue.

- Fixed an issue where underwater buildings could spawn without doors which in rare cases would mean the NPC missions could not be completed. (Note: If you are still being pointed to missing facilities during the NPC questlines, you can either claim a new base and re-build the NPC terminal, or if you have a Freighter, remove the NPC terminal from your base and rebuild it in the Freighter. The NPC should then give you new coordinates. We are still working on a more permanent fix for this issue).

- Previously it was possible to get Exosuit tech such as the life support stuck in the Starship inventory. Savegames with this bug present have now been fixed.

- To prevent players with mods installed from having their game break each time we update, we have introduced a new method for mod installation. For details please see the DISABLEMODS.TXT file in the \GAMEDATA\PCBANKS folder.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/154642447914068500/?ctp=12

Cmagus

Dude, some screenshots or videos would be nice :)

Here is a few images for now but I'll probably update when I actually have my base built and my video card comes in so I can take nicer shots. This is a cool planet it's like a large land mass surrounded by water, it has water bases, beaches and out in the water are large rock pillars with trees on them it is pretty cool. I also found this weird jelly plant monster thing bouncing around.

Finally finished my normal mode base. I was forced to take out a bunch of windows because I hit my base complexity limit, which was a bummer. Otherwise it felt good to get everything up and running, now just need to buy a better freighter

Impressive-looking base. I don't know how some of y'all are advancing so fast, I'm struggling post-update to even find basic elements.

Hello posted this morning with a FB album of user screenshots. They continue to ignore GAF though. :/ https://twitter.com/hellogames/status/804740450619949056

Although I did get trapped in a tiny cave today during a firestorm with a nasty little crab. He was too small and quick to shoot and I couldn't run away because of the the weather. He bit me a couple of times and killed me. It was sort of comedy and sort of horrifying, lol.

Sounds like it was a real crab battle.

Finally finished my normal mode base. I was forced to take out a bunch of windows because I hit my base complexity limit, which was a bummer. Otherwise it felt good to get everything up and running, now just need to buy a better freighter

That is an awesome looking base! I agree with eyeball_kid - some of you are advancing well past where I am at. I haven't played NMS as much as I can as my two sons have been squabbling over who gets to play Fallout 4 on the PS4 since I bought it on Thanksgiving off of PSN while it was $20. So I've had to end up playing a lot of Dragon Quest Builders on my PS VIta while I am jonesing for more NMS... :p Dragon Quest Builders is probably my favorite Vita game ever so it's not all bad though! Still fun to read about everyone else's adventures in NMS with the new update. So glad that HG released it and that *finally* there seems to be some legitimately good feelings from the community for this game.

So glad that HG released it and that *finally* there seems to be some legitimately good feelings from the community for this game.

Yeah, if you look at those Twitter replies, they're actually mostly positive now. Quite a change from the deluge of "stop lying, thief!". I'm sure the positive feedback is good for the team's emotional state, and also increases their ability to hire good people.

EDIT: now it works. Let's see what's up. Still no Foundation update?

??? The Foundation update has been out on PC for days...

somme

Yeah, if you look at those Twitter replies, they're actually mostly positive now. Quite a change from the deluge of "stop lying, thief!". I'm sure the positive feedback is good for the team's emotional state, and also increases their ability to hire good people.

It must be a big relief for them - just in time for a lovely Christmas!

Found some really deep canyons earlier. They're deeper the pictures give them credit:

tumblr_ohkpwz8lUX1vcevjdo2_1280.png

tumblr_ohkpwz8lUX1vcevjdo1_1280.png

This game has gotten so much more beautiful since the update.

EDIT: Also I've never seen creatures like this before. They were underwater sea creatures on a radioactive planet. And they glowed.

tumblr_ohkq93TOR81vcevjdo1_1280.png

Found some really deep canyons earlier. They're deeper the pictures give them credit:

tumblr_ohkpwz8lUX1vcevjdo2_1280.png

tumblr_ohkpwz8lUX1vcevjdo1_1280.png

This game has gotten so much more beautiful since the update.

EDIT: Also I've never seen creatures like this before. They were underwater sea creatures on a radioactive planet. And they glowed.

tumblr_ohkq93TOR81vcevjdo1_1280.png

Wow yeah, that's yuuuge. I was on a planet yesterday that had canyon networks that went on and on... I was flying through a trench for a couple minutes.

I think I've seen a screenshot of a creature somewhat like that underwater, but never seen any creatures that glow...pretty cool.

Kaiken

Banned

Also

Thank you for some great ideas. Also, screw them Albumen Pearls. Make a boat load of Carrion Roots and make Lubricant for some quick dough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wonder how well you can play as a space farer after this update

Before it was harder to play the game and like, never land on a planet. With freighters though and their increased presence...wonder how easier it is to just be a space explorer and never land.
Due to this post I'm gonna try and get the two upgrades I'm looking for, secure and build up my freighter, and rack up another mil, before landing on another planet.

Is Tropheum new with the foundation patch, for killing pirates? I remember just getting random elements from them before.

amoebae

Whatever they've changed about the terrain generation is brilliant. The deep trenches peppered with caves and even little forests are lovely. The texture tiling seems more obvious now, but textures overall seem to hold up a bit better, so it's a decent compromise. Flora seems to clump together more naturally, and creatures are appearing in bigger packs as well - although the distance at which they spawn makes for some amusing moments when all of a sudden 30 skittering critters come from nowhere.

My biggest gripe is not being able to turn off the milestone notifications. After that, it's the obstacle to taking screenshots: a toggle in a menu to hide the hud is not 'photo mode' - especially when it doesn't have a key bind. Ideally I'd like to see hud toggle with a hotkey, and a toggle for the scanlines/CA, and a proper photo mode that allows for freecam. All these things can be achieved with mods or cheat tables, but if the game supported them natively it'd be a lot more stable, wouldn't require downtime after an update, and I mean come on, the game was made for beautiful screenshots. (The icing on the cake would be hotsampling support.)

Sorry if this is old/isn't the place to post it, but if y'all were wondering what became of that advertising suit against Hello Games...well, here you go:

"We understood that the screenshots and videos in the ad had been created using game footage, and acknowledged that in doing this the advertisers would aim to show the product in the best light. Taking into account the above points, we considered that the overall impression of the ad was consistent with gameplay and the footage provided, both in terms of that captured by Hello Games and by third parties, and that it did not exaggerate the expected player experience of the game. We therefore concluded that the ad did not breach the Code."

Link to the ruling: https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adju...-Corporation/SHP_ADJ_351045.aspx#.WEBSzbIrKM_

I assume this won't change anyone's opinion on Murray or Hello Games (only content patches will likely shift that at this point), but it does support those who felt the initial reactions at launch were hyperbolic. Curious about what y'all think.
Yep, and we can probably thank the ass hats who filed suit for delayed patches and updates. Every day spent on defending themselves (meetings, collecting data for review, whatever the hell else they had to do) was at the expense of work on the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think so, and the name's a little too on the nose. Same with the element you get for killing animals ("Mort" something).
And let's not forget coprite ;)

I don't mind so much. In this silly sci fi universe I imagine they were just named in the atlas by the first person to realize each was a new element and associate it with the activity they did to get it.

Tropheum sells pretty well, though the system I'm in has it going for below galactic avg, will have to hop around a bit. My PS4 character (who is a violent psychopath) could have a field day with this.

So today I decided to go for "little" walk. This is from the highest point of a mountain (not even that big a mountain) on planet Granaylia. That in the background is a VERY red moon called Red Dwarf.

CysHGf2WEAE36UD.jpg:large

Ballisticolia (top) and an unnamed planet. That black spot is the space station.

CysHMSCXAAALTSQ.jpg:large

I waited for the sunrise (20 minutes plus), I never thought it was going to come.

CysHUzKWIAA2XPd.jpg:large

A similar shot to the second, but as the sun came up.

CysHZ8RXcAQEgCQ.jpg:large

This is the view from my ship when I went back down. That spire jutting out under the planet was where I was standing.

CysHgm_WQAA8VbJ.jpg:large

This is where I'm going next. It's to the left of the last shot.

CysHkwrWEAAjAHf.jpg:large

This is from the top. That slight piece of land you can see in the bottom right is the last mountain.

CysHpKdXcAAfzFD.jpg:large

You can't even see where I was standing.

CysHtjKXAAA5lYX.jpg:large

The FIFA World Cup? :D

CysHxoaXgAAgu4b.jpg:large

Jet packing the first spire I ran out of fuel and died. So I refined my technique. Then on the way back down, I got cocky and fell off a cliff :D I did go to a third and forth, but they didn't look as good...and I was 30 minutes away, so I just went back.

And let's not forget coprite ;)

I don't mind so much. In this silly sci fi universe I imagine they were just named in the atlas by the first person to realize each was a new element and associate it with the activity they did to get it.

I just think the tone is a bit uneven. We've got beautiful, majestic worlds, and lore that is fairly meaty, introspective sci-fi fare, and races that while a bit comedic are at least well fleshed-out and consistent, but then names like Vy'keen and Tropheum. All I'm saying is the fellow that's in charge of the lore should also be in charge of the names.

DrBo42

Has anyone found a plasma launcher (grenade launcher) blueprint in survival? If so, where? I can't for the life of me find one. I just get all the upgrades to it like velocity and impact radius etc.

sugarless

I just think the tone is a bit uneven. We've got beautiful, majestic worlds, and lore that is fairly meaty, introspective sci-fi fare, and races that while a bit comedic are at least well fleshed-out and consistent, but then names like Vy'keen and Tropheum. All I'm saying is the fellow that's in charge of the lore should also be in charge of the names.

I think as somme mentioned we're going to need an in-game periodic table pretty soon...

Am I missing Vy'keen being a pun for something?

Arlen777

Does anyone still stuck with only AtlasPass V1 like me?
Sunk so much time in the game and still yet to find at least V2
Whats the easiest way to get V2 and V3?

sugarless

Same here. Been a long time since I saw one lower than V2 and I get some V3s as well. I feel like I missed something.

Did they make V2 and V3 Atlas passes worth getting in the Foundation Update? They were basically useless before 1.1.

So someone matched up a star constellation on the galaxy map with a constellation seen from within a star system. No lie confirmed.

Wow. Didn't occur to me… But not an immersion breaker for me personally so it's all good as far as I'm concerned. The element named after Sean Murray was the only one that annoyed me.

Yeah there's one named after Grant Duncan (the Art Director) as well...Grantium or something. That doesn't really bother me, except that it was bad optics considering the state of the game at launch.

I only have a V1 also, and now it doesn't even open anything. :|
V2 and V3 passes apparently are sometimes rewards in the factories that you break into.

I once suspected this, because of a glitch where the stars in the sky became fixed to the map and I could move through them. So basically, all the stars seems to be always present in the background, and activating them simply makes them show up.

It's needlessly impressive. Wasted power! :D

Top Bottom