• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M "story" trailer

seady

Glad it's getting much better previews now.

I was surprised when the game was coined "bad" by the media since day one when it was announced as a Team Ninja project. I felt it was getting a bunch of unfair previews because the press was doubting the developer.

Boney

Banned
If you really want to discuss this, take it to PM's.. I don't want you guys to get banned and you're making me cry :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Boney said:
You're making me cry :(

I don't wanna sound like a jerk but after you guys fucked up Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X's dub I don't trust Chile anymore.

That said, I loved Garfield y sus Amigos' dub.

lostinblue said:
Why won't third party games unlock them... :(It's *clearly* a feature.

Plus this is no Kojima game, I doubt cutscenes last half an hour.

Skippable cutscenes should be mandatory in every game.

Goddamn, this is stupid.

Boney

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I don't wanna sound like a jerk but after you guys fucked up Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X's dub I don't trust Chile anymore.

That said, I loved Garfield y sus Amigos' dub.

Skippable cutscenes should be mandatory in every game.

Goddamn, this is stupid.
Now you're bringing me into this!? :lol

Didn't know Samurai X was a chilean dub.. I thought it was pretty good!

And Garfield is amazing bro.

Glad that's settled.. yeah Kaoru sounded a bit wierd, but it still was good acting.

*goes to watch samurai x in youtube*

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Boney said:
Now you're bringing me into this!? :lol

Didn't know Samurai X was a chilean dub.. I thought it was pretty good!

Huh, Wikipedia says it was Colombia. My bad, Chile's my friend.

My problem with the dub was that Kaoru sounded constipated every time she talked. Damn you, Colombia!

Boney said:
And Garfield is amazing bro.

Amen.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
seady said:
Glad it's getting much better previews now.

I was surprised when the game was coined "bad" by the media since day one when it was announced as a Team Ninja project. I felt it was getting a bunch of unfair previews because the press was doubting the developer.

Don't be ridiculous. I had literally no opinion of Team Ninja one way or the other, and I came away quite concerned from what I played at Nintendo's media event. People who were worried about the game were worried about it because it was worrisome, not because of Team Ninja. Let's not all become idiots and pretend that negative early previews were all just WRONG because newer previews are more favorable. It simply means that the first demo was shitty, and this one is better. Which is the direction the demos SHOULD be moving in.

Teknoman

Werent most early previews just people being skeptical? The first previews we saw in action really havent changed all that much control wise, or anything else for that matter aside from environment.

I just think the idea of Team Ninja working with Nintendo on Metroid finally sunk in. I mean looking at some of the first gameplay footage, the game still looks as good then as it does now.

heringer

To be fair, there's still a couple of fairly skeptical previews, like IGN's and Giantbomb's. Maybe not skeptical, but not very positive.

I think the game will review ok, not amazing. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure I will love it, but some people will always have grips with the controls and narrative.

Those images look amazing, some textures (the floor ones) dont look very good (Metroid prime 3 was bteetr in that regard) but the models are fantastic, and also seems to be the animations of it.

mantidor said:
As I said, sorry for being harsh, but I couldnt stop letting you insult our language without giving my opinion. Hope this one is more friendly :D (only answering the things you asked form your post).
About the getting the south american accents for things, that was, as I said, during the majority of cartoons in the 60s, 70s and 80's, with Disney (the last south american dub was the little mermaid, now Disney has the best dubbing actors for their movies and cartoons, and their voices are very similar to their english counterparts) and other companies. The very last thing we got in south american was the dub of Halo 2, and it was called by microsoft neutral spanish, I have to say it was a fiasco and people went against it, at the end i think there is even a patch and Halo 3 has the same castillian spanish as the first Halo.
Maybe you think that is neutral (thats the the thing I most hear from south americans) but we surely dont, we dont think calling ALL people by usted is neutral, or "sesear" (although in andalucia they do this), the accent, or inventing words we never use here. Maybe is neutral for nearly all the countries in South America (and I respect that because I think is hard work) but you cant bring it here as we find it strange.
Theres a very funny video of an interview with Jose Padilla (one of the best dub actors in the world, with an awesome range of voices) were the tv host talks about the south americans dubs we had, that they were trying to tell us it was neutral, and how it could be neutral that the astronaut of an american base seemed like he had an accent from tijuana. He also talks of other interesting things, and does the voice of some of his characters (Mickey Mouse, Skinner, Braniggan, Niles from freiser...).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoSPu8gBuvI

I know you will as usual get only the american voices for the game, and I hope you get it at least with the spanish subs (that needs to be a norm there, so fight for that).

At the end seems It dont know much about your language and you dont know much of ours so we are equal in that. :lol
So sorry again for being harsh with my other post. And better if dont talk here about it again becuase we are going off-topic.

Boney said:
If you really want to discuss this, take it to PM's.. I don't want you guys to get banned and you're making me cry :(

Yeah guys, we better stop talking about which spanish is better, at least here, before someone thinks we are triying to troll. :lol

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Yeah guys, we better stop talking about which spanish is better, at least here, before someone thinks we are triying to troll. :lol

Personally I don't feel like you're trying to troll, but I find it a little bit annoying when i enter the thread to find some Metroid news and is met by some walls of text about which spanish accent is the better :lol

farnham

Banned
so are there any interviews that suggest, that the game will be as exploration heavy as always ?

MP3 was pretty straight forward for about 2 hours into the game and then shifted into a normal metroid game. hope that other m is similar

braves01

Banned
Brad's new impressions on Giant Bomb are a little disconcerting. I think the game's visuals look great, but I don't know if I'll be able to stomach the combat, and it seems the level of exploration is still TBD.

heringer

farnham said:
so are there any interviews that suggest, that the game will be as exploration heavy as always ?

MP3 was pretty straight forward for about 2 hours into the game and then shifted into a normal metroid game. hope that other m is similar
Yes. Sakamoto stated that the average player will only get about 30% of the upgrades on the first playthrough. That's probably a stretch, but it suggests that the exploration is the focus as always.

braves01

Banned
I guess I must be a little pessimistic concerning Other M, because the things that jumped out at me were: feels like GoW/Ninja Gaiden, fairly linear as far as Brad could tell, d-pad controls a little weird as people have expected (though I admit without actually playing it myself this is a toss-up, I had no problems with Mario 64 DS for instance).

At this point, I understand it's a different take on Metroid, but I'm still worried about how different it will be. Brad seems to think it feels enough like Metroid to merit the name, which is a positive I suppose.

L00P

Yeah, Other M seems to have gone through some questionable design decisions. But the same thing can be said with the Prime series and that one turned out alright. The previews definitely sounds promising, though. I'm really eager to play it.

Only thing I'm really not sure about is the story and the writing. Maybe I shouldn't care about it too much:lol

Luigiv

L00P said:
Only thing I'm really not sure about is the story and the writing. Maybe I shouldn't care about it too much:lol
Yeah, if Fussion and the official manga are anything to go by, the story is probably going to be fairly run of the mill and forgettable. Well, not that it matters. At least the cutscenes will be pretty.

Luigiv said:
Yeah, if Fusion and the official manga are anything to go by, the story is probably going to be fairly run of the mill and forgettable. Well, not that it matters. At least the cutscenes will be pretty.
I'd say Metroid has a pretty good plot for what it is.

And then there's the whole scenarios and stuff that make the game really memorable.

Hiltz

I'm a bit concerned about the writing of the story. Japanese writers tend to go too deep into expressing character emotion to the point where it often comes off being unnatural and awkward. We see it all the time in anime. Even with Sakamoto at the helm of the project, I just hope they don't turn Samus into a fragile, emotional wreck of a character with her strange emotional relationship with "the baby" and all.

And speaking of "the baby", why couldn't they just refer to it as the infant metroid? Calling it the baby sounds silly when spoken by a monotone Samus.

As far as the story goes, I hope it sheds some more light on the relationship between Samus and Ridley. If I recall correctly, the manga said that Ridley can regenerate his damaged body by consuming the flesh of humans. That may give an actual explain why he's always being ressurected in the games. Then there's Mother Brain's role in the manga and how it originally served the Chozo before betraying them.

ElFly

Oh please, you can't say the MGS dub is "amazing" with a straight face.

Here's the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny6mgl81u5c

The Colonel sounds terrible, his pronunciation is firmly spaniard, and he doesn't know how to say half of the english words (they decided to leave the names untranslated). For example, he says "chadou moses" instead of "shadou mousses". Or "Raven" instead of "Reiven". All of his "Z" and "S" are way more sibilant than they should be.

The MGS ending. Naomi's voice is like a little girl. Her accent isn't as strong as the Colonel, but the acting is terrible anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy46Bi7pBYE

A different example, Halo 3, which was dubbed in mexico and spain, given the reaction from spain to the mexican dub for Halo 2.

Mexico: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmIqPMVV_oQ

Spain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKpPxas0yg

Jesus. Cortana is all "Algo que sssssolo teniasss tu. Lo adivinassss? ssssuerte". That's not a neutral dub at all. I can accept that Spain likes to hear a Z that's more dental than the S, but they just seem to replace all the Ss for Zs here. It's horrid.

About the award that Fox gave the spanish dub of the Simpsons, it was an award for being the best dub in europe. I dread to hear the quality of the other dubs.

Boney

Banned
Hiltz said:
I'm a bit concerned about the writing of the story. Japanese writers tend to go too deep into expressing character emotion to the point where it often comes off being unnatural and awkward. We see it all the time in anime. Even with Sakamoto at the helm of the project, I just hope they don't turn Samus into a fragile, emotional wreck of a character with her strange emotional relationship with "the baby" and all.

And speaking of "the baby", why couldn't they just refer to it as the infant metroid? Calling it the baby sounds silly when spoken by a monotone Samus.
"The baby" is said because they share a connection, and since it doesn't have a name, baby is the next in line.

You can say Fusion story is definately nothing special, which of course isn't if you compare it too good books or movies. But boy was I entretained by it, nothing really obstrusive (except for purists) and had a nice little arc.

I expect this to be the same. Prime had a fantastic way of telling the story via log scans and architecture, but this isn't about that, it's about human interactions and emotional baggages. I think it'll be an ok story in terms of video games domain.

Boney

Banned
For many people, two main aspects make Metroid so appealing: the sense of isolation and the joy of exploration. While Other M strays from the former, it remains to be seen how it tackles the latter. The portion of the game featured in the demo was rather closed, but there's always a chance that the game opens up later on. And there are certainly going to be people who will enjoy hearing Samus' inner monologue. I'm just not sure I'm one of them.
from arstechnica

"This game feels exactly like 2D Metroid in 3D."

"I don't know if this feels like Metroid or not."

"Why is this a Metroid game?"

well at least we have a wide variety of opinions for once in gaming journalism

Kard8p3

It seems there was a Metroid Other M invite only event last night. Did anyone here get invited and if so what did you think of the game?

EmCeeGramr said:
"This game feels exactly like 2D Metroid in 3D."

"I don't know if this feels like Metroid or not."

"Why is this a Metroid game?"

well at least we have a wide variety of opinions for once in gaming journalism
I've been saying since Fusion/Prime that the series was groping in too many directions and dividing the fan base, and the varied reactions to Other M reflect that.

mantidor

SpacePirate Ridley said:

This is what happens when they get voice acting in Metroid, bad things happen, just look at this thread! :lol They even make us fight between brothers.

But all is cool, languages are just that, neither good nor bad, what is bad is the horrible VA and story of other M, but I'm already over it.

What I'm starting to realize is that there is no "Metroid" formula, and that we should give the benefit of the doubt to the guys involved in games like Wario ware, Ninja Gaiden and Super Metroid at the very least. They didn't start developing games yesterday.

Kard8p3 said:
It seems there was a Metroid Other M invite only event last night. Did anyone here get invited and if so what did you think of the game?
I actually attended the event in Vancouver, BC last night. Getting a bit of hands on time assuaged one of concerns a bit which was the D-pad movement. I had no trouble controlling Samus in a 3D space with the D-pad. We basically played the E3 build; the organic area of the Bottle Ship and the fight with the 2 chameleon creatures. Combat has a bit of a learning curve, especially in the "boss" fight. My instinct to stay back and fire charged shots wasn't the way to go and I ended up dying on my first go. The game encourages you to go in for the close strikes to do massive damage.

Countering is a bit tricky at first, but I find that if you just hold the fire button down then Samus will counter any attack that comes at you. Samus apparently dodges if you tap the D-pad in a direction right before an attack hits you but I felt like most of the time it was unintentional on my part. I don't like how when you lock on in first person mode that you have to fire a missile. Why can't I lock on and fire a charge shot? I hope we can dial up the turn speed in first person mode. Game has a certain rhythm that "clicked" after playing it a second time. Seems enjoyable, never really frustrated with the controls but it does feel limited. Also not a fan of invisible walls in Metroid. It seems counter intuitive to the idea of exploration in Metroid.

Game looks good, not as good as Metroid Prime 3, but it looks good. Samus looks great in motion. Cut scenes look phenomenal. Voice acting and story seem kinda meh. I still don't remember Anthony Higgs.

Teknoman

Barrow Roll said:
I actually attended the event in Vancouver, BC last night. Getting a bit of hands on time assuaged one of concerns a bit which was the D-pad movement. I had no trouble controlling Samus in a 3D space with the D-pad. We basically played the E3 build; the organic area of the Bottle Ship and the fight with the 2 chameleon creatures. Combat has a bit of a learning curve, especially in the "boss" fight. My instinct to stay back and fire charged shots wasn't the way to go and I ended up dying on my first go. The game encourages you to go in for the close strikes to do massive damage.

Countering is a bit tricky at first, but I find that if you just hold the fire button down then Samus will counter any attack that comes at you. Samus apparently dodges if you tap the D-pad in a direction right before an attack hits you but I felt like most of the time it was unintentional on my part. I don't like how when you lock on in first person mode that you have to fire a missile. Why can't I lock on and fire a charge shot? I hope we can dial up the turn speed in first person mode. Game has a certain rhythm that "clicked" after playing it a second time. Seems enjoyable, never really frustrated with the controls but it does feel limited. Also not a fan of invisible walls in Metroid. It seems counter intuitive to the idea of exploration in Metroid.

Game looks good, not as good as Metroid Prime 3, but it looks good. Samus looks great in motion. Cut scenes look phenomenal. Voice acting and story seem kinda meh. I still don't remember Anthony Higgs.

Did they have headphones set up for the games? If so, how were the sound effects/music?

Kard8p3

Barrow Roll said:

How long did you get to play? Others that were there have said they played for around 2 hours.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Barrow Roll said:
Countering is a bit tricky at first, but I find that if you just hold the fire button down then Samus will counter any attack that comes at you.

That sounds like a serious problem.

I dont really understand, how can some people say theis is the 3D Metroid experience while others say its not.
Its totally opposite, even if they are opinions one of them doesnt seem to understand what is the Metroid experience.
That or nobody knows what is actually the Metroid experience.

Boney said:
Yeah, that's the first time I heard of that.. what gives?

And I don't think we'll be able to adjust FP view turning speed :(
But Ive read that is a limitation so people dont relay too much in FPS mode.

ElFly said:

We have said we would stop and the only thing Im going to respond you is you dont like it, well you are not from here, you dont have to hear it, we love it so it doesnt change anything, sorry.

Teknoman said:
Did they have headphones set up for the games? If so, how were the sound effects/music?
There weren't any headphones at the booths so I can't give any real impressions on sound and music. Before we got to play a Nintendo rep gave us a demo of the beginning of the game with the big purple bug creature and the Federation Troopers. He would turn down the sound during gameplay so he could talk and turn it up during cut scenes. There was also random music just on in the background though. Pretty annoying actually.

Kard8p3 said:
How long did you get to play? Others that were there have said they played for around 2 hours.
Hmmm, I'd say maybe for about 30-40 mins? The demo was short, it was the same one at E3. You run through an organic section of the Bottle Ship, you fight the 2 chameleon creatures, run through a bit more and you get to an unopenable door. I played it about 3 times in total. First time I got spanked by the chameleons. Second time I breezed through it and felt like a pro. Then a buddy of mine found out that at the beginning of the demo you can go the other direction from the save station and back track through some other areas that I guess we weren't supposed to because one of the booth guys said they hadn't seen this area before. We actually found an energy tank. Kinda neat.

Plinko said:
That sounds like a serious problem.
Well before we jump to any conclusions let me clarify this a bit. The chameleon dudes have an attack where they will grab you with their tail and toss you at which point you can counter and grab their tail and toss them. I didn't extensively test it or anything, I just noticed that maybe twice I finished charging up my shot and was holding the fire button when one of those guys grabbed me and Samus proceeded to counter it. At no point during that fight or the demo did I just run around with the button held down and have any kind of invulnerability. Just something I noticed happen to me like twice.

Easy_D said:
Weird, everything I've read says you have to time it while pressing a direction to dodge.
Dodging and countering are different. Dodging is when you time your D-pad press in a direction when an attack is incoming. It'll go a bit slo-mo for a sec. Countering is done by pressing the fire button (1) right before an enemy attacks you to return the attack. I think you do have to time it, I think my experience above happened purely coincidentally because I had just finished charging up my shot with the button held down. I didn't have enough play time to gauge how wide the window for countering was.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Barrow Roll said:
Dodging and countering are different. Dodging is when you time your D-pad press in a direction when an attack is incoming. It'll go a bit slo-mo for a sec. Countering is done by pressing the fire button (1) right before an enemy attacks you to return the attack. I think you do have to time it, I think my experience above happened purely coincidentally because I had just finished charging up my shot with the button held down. I didn't have enough play time to gauge how wide the window for countering was.
Ah, I see.

Perhaps with charged shots you simply release the button in time to do a counter attack then, as opposed to timing the A button.

Kard8p3

I'm surprised the Other M Iwata asks hasn't been translated yet. Usually we'd at least have a fan translation by now.

Tritroid

Teknoman said:
Shots from Metroid Database:

03-metroid-other-m.jpg
I hated these things with a passion in Super. D:

AdroitOne

Neo Member
_Alkaline_ said:
I still find it odd how much the Prime series stuffed up the Space Pirate designs. Prime got it horribly wrong but the other two games didn't do much to rectify it. Echoes came the closest but it resembled a bird more than crustacean like the Space Pirates are supposed to look.

Good to see the ones in Other M look like their fusion counterparts. Always liked that design.

I could have swore the Space Pirates in the Prime series was considered a different race from those in the main series.

Tritroid

AdroitOne said:
I could have swore the Space Pirates in the Prime series was considered a different race from those in the main series.
No, pretty sure they were the same species/race. The frigate Samus lands on in Prime 1 actually has Pirates that had escaped from Zebes before the internal explosion.

There's really no reason why they look different in each Metroid game, or even each Prime game for that matter; It's just a different take on their design. For Prime 1, since it was the first Metroid realized in 3D, Retro took a lot of artistic liberties in the design of multiple classic icons from the series. Retro revamped a lot of their art for Prime 2 coming off of Prime 1 however, which is why the Varia suit has a lot of design differences between the two games.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Tritroid said:
No, pretty sure they were the same species/race. The frigate Samus lands on in Prime 1 actually has Pirates that had escaped from Zebes before the internal explosion.

There's really no reason why they look different in each Metroid game, or even each Prime game for that matter; It's just a different take on their design. For Prime 1, since it was the first Metroid realized in 3D, Retro took a lot of artistic liberties in the design of multiple classic icons from the series. Retro revamped a lot of their art for Prime 2 coming off of Prime 1 however, which is why the Varia suit has a lot of design differences between the two games.

I can't remember where I read that, (I believe a metroid wikipedia type site), but yeah. I can't find the site right now so I have no source, but I do know that the space pirates people see in the main series are the Ki Hunters (the mantis like creatures). The ones in Metroid weren't considered Ki Hunters. Really, I actually love the designs in Metroid Prime more than the main series :D. They looked much more intimidating.

[Nintex]

AdroitOne said:
I can't remember where I read that, (I believe a metroid wikipedia type site), but yeah. I can't find the site right now so I have no source, but I do know that the space pirates people see in the main series are the Ki Hunters (the mantis like creatures). The ones in Metroid weren't considered Ki Hunters. Really, I actually love the designs in Metroid Prime more than the main series :D. They looked much more intimidating.
The Space Pirates in prime 1 were all sorts of awesome compared to Prime 2 and 3.

AdroitOne said:
Huh?

Ki Hunters =
Kihunter.jpg

Space Pirates =
Smart_tour.jpg

Ki Hunters in Super =
Kihunters.png

Space Pirate in Super =
396313-zebesian_super.jpg

Ki Hunters in Other M =
Mom%27s_Kihunter.jpg

Space Pirate in Other M =
682px-Metroid_other_m_artwork.jpg

While Ki Hunters are some kind of Pirates they are not the same as the actual Space Pirates. There were no Ki Hunters in the Prime series.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Metroid Killer said:
Huh?

While Ki Hunters are some kind of Pirates they are not the same as the actual Space Pirates.

Ah ok, that makes sense now. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess the site where I got that info is wrong also lol.

I guess they are the same. Still, I liked their design in Metroid Prime better. They actually looked like they could do damage to Samus :D.

Top Bottom