• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomo

Diablohead said:
No matter how pretty the boxes look i'm going with a plain old regular copy, the halo 3 tin came with dents in it and shitty dvd holders, the cat helmet looks cool but it was expensive (cousin has it so i've seen and held it, even he thinks it was a waste in the end) and while that huge noble team figure is lovely, it's again expensive especially for me.

Regular copy will give me all the love and enjoyment I need, anyone with a flaming head will be my first target :p
Never paid for my helmet :lol Won it in a halo 3 competition.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Trasher said:
Like what? I don't get some people. :lol If you like games that much then just save your money for another game and not some action figure toy that's gonna sit in a box, closet, table etc. I was a victim of the Halo 3 Legendary, but at least that was only 100. 150 is just too much, and I still think the Halo 3 Legendary helmet is a bit cooler.

I'm guilty of owning a statue worth about the same price as the Legendary box. It's a statue from the Berserk manga. My fiance gave it to me as a present (a relatively cheap one) - they can be very expensive.

There's a new one coming out and ever so slightly out of my price range Link - $821.

400596.jpg

I'm not insane enough to buy these - but I sure as hell would would love to if I had that kind of disposable income.

The Reach Legendary statue in comparison is a bargain.

Tapiozona

Banned
Anything new on the Advertising front? Other than those short films on remember reach and the live action commercial (which got butchered when they shorted it for TV) I haven't seen anything new. I was hoping for some over the top commercials/advertising like Halo 3 had.

Zomo

cazosozey said:
I foresee alot of pissed people with broken sniper rifles in their legendary editions.
D: oh god please don't let this happen. I can just imagine all the angry customers that are going to come in and yell at me about it :(

Letters said:
All the fun seems to be included in the limited edition, the legendary all it has extra is a huge ass toy wrapped in styrofoam. The crate does look sexy though.
The dev commentary doesn't do anything for you?

Dani's right about the value, as someone who has also bought some figurines.

Edit: Because the images were blocked at work, I'm only getting to see the OP now.
Awesome job m0dus.

neoism

500+ posts wow:lol

great job with op Ghal... :O

So glad to finally have a permanent home for HALO... :D

LordAlu

cazosozey said:
I foresee alot of pissed people with broken sniper rifles in their legendary editions.
The guns are not part of the statue - they come in separate bags so you can give different ones to different Spartans, and also to try to prevent them from being snapped or damaged during transit :)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trasher said:
Hell yeah there was. Further down over the ledge past the Dormitory. I showed you it once!

Yea but every time we played I knew you would go for it so I never even bothered. That's why I forgot :p

I hope Arena has had some serious tweaking. Needed to be more Vanilla for me to enjoy. I'm also not a huge fan of being ranked based on individual skills in general. Oh well, we'll see.

edit: Pro pipe instead of sniper? Where's the sniper? The sniper maybe should be where the Plasma Launcher was. The plasma launcher as it was in the beta can't be taken serious in a competitive environment. I understand that it's a power weapon but that thing is just ridiculous.

cazosozey

LordAlu said:
The guns are not part of the statue - they come in separate bags so you can give different ones to different Spartans, and also to try to prevent them from being snapped or damaged during transit :)

Silence! My prophecy has been foretold!
Nah, really thats good to hear.

Zomo

Dax01 said:
The Pro Pipe™? Excellent.
One of my friends that I played the beta with absolutely hated it when I called the grenade launcher the pro pipe. I then started calling it the bro pipe.. He hated that too :(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
I hope Arena has had some serious tweaking. Needed to be more Vanilla for me to enjoy. I'm also not a huge fan of being ranked based on individual skills in general. Oh well, we'll see.

I think there's a very good chance they will change things up based on what the community wants. If the population starts leaning towards a more vanilla approach, I imagine they'd be quick to pounce on it.

I agree though, Arena should be less about AA varieties.

Having some dude sprint towards you with a Hammer was never something I'd thought would be in the Arena.

Blueblur1

Domino Theory said:
I think it really depends now. In the Beta, absolutely. In the retail game, it seems they're equal now (at close range) because of the Pistol's slight reduction in its maximum rate of fire and the AR's damage increase.
From what I recall, the AR beat out the Pistol in close range battles when I played the game at PAX. My aim wasn't exactly great (had the sensitivity set too high) but it kind of alarmed me.

Tashi0106 said:
Yea but every time we played I knew you would go for it so I never even bothered. That's why I forgot :p

I think it works well for team play in a way.

If you go in with 3 other friends and you play a lot of games together and do well, then over the playing session all of you should experience at least 3 good games a piece. (If the skill levels are relatively even).

And it will reward you based on individual skill when going in alone.

Just a thought.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Zomo said:
One of my friends that I played the beta with absolutely hated it when I called the grenade launcher the pro pipe. I then started calling it the bro pipe.. He hated that too :(

He was probably missing Danger Close.

Zomo said:

I support the notion that the grenade launcher be officially re-titled 'Sonic Tube'. Anything is better than pro-pipe, makes me cringe everytime I hear it.

Oh crap, are the Legendary editions sold out on Gamestop online or is it just me?
Changes of scoring one on launch day (not midnight)?

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
edit: Pro pipe instead of sniper? Where's the sniper? The sniper maybe should be where the Plasma Launcher was. The plasma launcher as it was in the beta can't be taken serious in a competitive environment. I understand that it's a power weapon but that thing is just ridiculous.
Didn't they tweak the Plasma Launcher a bit since the beta?

Zomo

Neverender said:
I support the notion that the grenade launcher be officially re-titled 'Sonic Tube'. Anything is better than pro-pipe, makes me cringe everytime I hear it.
This was the friend I was talking about :lol Omg I totally forgot about the sonic tube!

cuevas said:
You can get 20$ credit at most places
most places = GameStop, Amazon, NewEgg, Best Buy, Wal-Mart? or somewhere else?

also, I'd rather just get the game for $50 or so. I don't really want another game than I can think of. idk.

Tashi

Dani said:
I think there's a very good chance they will change things up based on what the community wants. If the population starts leaning towards a more vanilla approach, I imagine they'd be quick to pounce on it.

I agree though, Arena should be less about AA varieties.

Having some dude sprint towards you with a Hammer was never something I'd thought would be in the Arena.

How do you think they will gather the opinion of Arena fans?

I'm not sure if it's about the different Armor Abilities as much as it is about the weapons on the map. Hammer shouldn't exist in a competitive setting. That thing has the lunge of a sword, and has like, invincibility frames like in a fighting game lol. It's a joke weapon.

LeadbasedPaint said:
I think it works well for team play in a way.

If you go in with 3 other friends and you play a lot of games together and do well, then over the playing session all of you should experience at least 3 good games a piece. (If the skill levels are relatively even).

And it will reward you based on individual skill when going in alone.

Just a thought.

My beef with it was that you're being ranked individually in a Team gametype. There are things you just can't measure or calculate in a formula in a team game. I don't knock Bungie for it because I think overall for the general Reach population, Arena will be a success.

edit: I don't want to sound like I'm completely writing it off before I've dealt with the final version for a while.

Armor Lock needs to stay in Arena.

People who use it in melee situations only are assholes.

Using it to wait for teammates and to avoid grenade damage is pro.

Dreams-Visions said:
most places = GameStop, Amazon, NewEgg, Best Buy, Wal-Mart? or somewhere else?

also, I'd rather just get the game for $50 or so. I don't really want another game than I can think of. idk.
Yeah the big places but I don't think there's just a flat out 10$ off deal

They want your money later too

feel

Zeouterlimits said:
The dev commentary doesn't do anything for you?
DEFINITELY! I was talking about the unpacking experience.

Speaking of dev commentary, do we know yet how we will actually get it?

Tashi0106 said:
Pro pipe instead of sniper? Where's the sniper? The sniper maybe should be where the Plasma Launcher was. The plasma launcher as it was in the beta can't be taken serious in a competitive environment. I understand that it's a power weapon but that thing is just ridiculous.
I couldn't find the sniper personally, but I didn't search hard, so it's not confirmed to be removed from the map.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Reading the thread for the first time... Damn, 12 pages already?? That's awesome. :lol

The OP is amazing, Ghal. Art is once again awesome, M0dus. I'm pretty sure I'll be reading the OP on a near-daily basis between now and September 14, haha.

Launch day plans: Wake up at 7am, get a quick breakfast + shower, meet my friend at Fred Meyer's at 8am, then rush home and play for an hour before he hast to go to work. I'm playing Campaign with him on Legendary, but his work schedule is crazy, so it'll take us about a week to get through it. :lol I'll have Firefight and Multiplayer to keep me entertained, though!

One week! :D

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Domino Theory said:
And the Plasma Launcher is replaced with a Concussion Rifle.
Huh, that's cool. I think I'll prefer those changes.

ManCannon

Very LTTP but still had to say awesome work on this OT. Super informative, super robust, awesome images. <3

Man we're now less than a week out. W00T

Tashi0106 said:
I hope Arena has had some serious tweaking. Needed to be more Vanilla for me to enjoy.
The Arena should offer:

Slayer Classic: AR/pistol start, no AA abilities or Sprint AA as standard, two frag grenades, radar, fairly plain weapons on map.
Slayer Pro: DMR/pistol start, Sprint AA as standard, two frag greandes, no radar, only a selection of power weapons and DMRs on map.
Slayer Modern: mix of AR/pistol/DMR/other non-power weapon starts, mix of AAs, mix of grenades, radar, fairly plain weapons on map.

With the 'None of the Above' option just throwing up different combos of gametype and map.

Weapons that should never appear in the Arena: plasma launcher, sword, gravity hammer, spartan laser, fuel rod gun, target designator, etc. (i.e. everything overpowered or potentially inconsistent).

This is all assuming that MLG will have its own playlist, I guess.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm not sure if it's about the different Armor Abilities as much as it is about the weapons on the map. Hammer shouldn't exist in a competitive setting. That thing has the lunge of a sword, and has like, invincibility frames like in a fighting game lol. It's a joke weapon.
Totally agree. Whenever I read or listen to Bungie designers talk about the game, they always sound so sensible and on top of things, they can always justify their thought process and decisions, and they seem to react very passionately one way or another to feedback and fan reactions (as we've already seen with the list of the changes from the beta).

But the hammer and laser I just can't fathom. As far as I can work out, those weapons are just an elaborate practical joke at the expense of the playerbase.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Snagging this as part of a pro buy 1 get 1 free deal at a local electronics place. Mmm, Limited Edition.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I think the MP map count is going to be a point of contention. With the Forge World variants, it's 13 maps, without, it's 8. Personally, I don't mind the similar visual aesthetic, as long as the maps themselves play differently, and the Forge World variants do. They're designed and built as unique maps, but with the same visual theme. Mileage will vary on this one. With resources split evenly between Firefight MP (eight unique locations for each) I think they balanced it pretty well.

I can't remember the interview, but I recall someone from Bungie saying in a Comic-Con interview that one of the reasons Forge World had its five spaces merged was they didn't have enough time or resources to create five unique sky boxes. So they were being designed to look like they were all from the same area, at which point Cotton started pushing to include them all in the same space.

I have a hard time seeing how five unique maps somehow don't count because they're built in the same (enormous) environment. I don't think the map count is thin.

It isn't. Honestly so what if they use the same textures. The map is all in the layout and the gameplay. These maps made in forgeworld will all play differently and be a freaking blast. Also we know that since Bungie is making them they will be on par with the quality of their other maps.

GhaleonEB said:
And when it comes to perceived value, Forge World is a double edged sword. Remember the Beta code that leaked, showing five Forge spaces? (forge_island, forge_gulch, etc.) Had Reach shipped with five canvas spaces and a unique variant on each in addition to the eight other MP maps, I don't think we'd have the MP map conversation, it would just be 13 maps. But since they put those same five uniquely designed spaces together into one big one, people see eight maps and five variants on one map. So Forge World is both an incredible achievement, and lowers the perceived value for people counting unique map spaces.

That's the problem. People who perceive the value of those maps to be any less are very very short sighted in my opinion. You can't say that there was any less time and effort put into those maps then others. They were not only designed and laid out, but also playtested just as much as any of Bungie's other maps included on that disc.

ElRenoRaven

jetsetfluken said:
Oh crap, are the Legendary editions sold out on Gamestop online or is it just me?
Changes of scoring one on launch day (not midnight)?

You are not seeing things. everything but regular and the guide are sold out according to gamestop.com

IZZO

Neo Member
Amazing OP.

7 days is a very long time. I gotta start looking for local stores that will sell them early.

Tashi

Shake Appeal said:
The Arena should offer:

Slayer Classic: AR/pistol start, no AA abilities or Sprint AA as standard, two frag grenades, radar, fairly plain weapons on map.
Slayer Pro: DMR/pistol start, Sprint AA as standard, two frag greandes, no radar, only a selection of power weapons and DMRs on map.
Slayer Modern: mix of AR/pistol/DMR/other non-power weapon starts, mix of AAs, mix of grenades, radar, fairly plain weapons on map.

With the 'None of the Above' option just throwing up different combos of gametype and map.

Weapons that should never appear in the Arena: plasma launcher, sword, gravity hammer, spartan laser, fuel rod gun, target designator, etc. (i.e. everything overpowered or potentially inconsistent).

This is all assuming that MLG will have its own playlist, I guess.

What if the gametypes offered to you were based on what division you were in? How sick would that be? '

Welcome to Onyx, from here on in it's DMR start only and magnum secondary. I would LOVE that. However, I know there are still "high level" Team Slayer players in Halo 3 that won't veto an AR start gametype. It wouldn't work for everyone.

I also think that MLG will get a set of maps and such up and running pretty quickly. I'm seriously worried about the quality however. They're beginning to use Reach at tournaments much earlier than they have with other Halo games. I would recommend that they use as many Halo 2 maps and settings as possible as those are proven to be stunning for competitive play.

Circle T

LordAlu said:
So, looking at these pics, is the actual game case that comes with the Limited and Legendary versions black, and not green like normal 360 games? Does it at least have the normal cover art, on both the front and back? The Forza 3 Limited Edition had a black case, but it had shitty cover art, and nothing on the back. It looks really lame. Hopefully the Reach disc case color is the only thing different.

ultron87

Photolysis said:
Just as long as they make it so guests only tend to match up with other guests. Nothing worse than playing against a party of 4 when you have 3 people on the same console on your team.

Will there be any way for Guests to have any sort of custom armor? My friends have always been annoyed with having to be play old boring Spartans when playing split screen on Live and that will just be magnified in this one. Even if they just had whatever the main profile had unlocked it would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom