• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mik2121 said:
Well, if you have time you could always take that to Photoshop, create an alpha and use that as a base, then just use one of the default "rake" tools in ZBrush and make the dents.

Anyway, right now I'm busy with other 3D stuff, but I might work on this helmet every now and then whenever I have some free time and I'm not doing anything else :/

I was thinking about that but the rake tool would make it look like a serrated knife at an angle. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference at a distance but I am a real stickler for details. No matter how subtle they may be.

That helmet probably wouldn't take too long if you did a rough sub-d model and then cut details in while maintaining quads.

Zeouterlimits said:
FF is considered a different beast, because you can't play traditional multiplayer on them.
Understandable but I'd imagine a compromise in resources needed to be met. I think people are forgetting that this is the first game to ship with both features and so to expect Halo CE/2/3 sized map lists and and an ODST length Firefight map list is a little overzealous imo. DLC, feel free to extend the life of this game over the course of a few years :/

Hydranockz said:
I agree. I feel that Rev may have been getting confused saying we have 2 Multiplayer maps to be revealed. But we don't.

Quick Recap:
Multiplayer Maps: Boneyard, Spire, Swordbase, Powerhouse, Zealot, Reflection, Countdown and Boardwalk. That's 8 + Forgeworld variants.

Firefight: Corvette, Overlook, Beachhead, Waterfront, Courtyard, Outpost, ??? and ???.

That is 16 maps even before you consider Forgeworld...

One of my most excited for levels is a forge world variant, Paradiso. To me, Ive always found Halo to be best played when on a medium size, vehicle based level. Small arena levels have never really been my thing.

Btw. guys anyone have a great Halo avatar that i can use? Looking for a new one. (ok i love my noel ava but reach gets my attention right now.)

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
Understandable but I'd imagine a compromise in resources needed to be met. I think people are forgetting that this is the first game to ship with both features and so to expect Halo CE/2/3 sized map lists and and an ODST length Firefight map list is a little overzealous imo. DLC, feel free to extend the life of this game over the course of a few years :/
And when it comes to perceived value, Forge World is a double edged sword. Remember the Beta code that leaked, showing five Forge spaces? (forge_island, forge_gulch, etc.) Had Reach shipped with five canvas spaces and a unique variant on each in addition to the eight other MP maps, I don't think we'd have the MP map conversation, it would just be 13 maps. But since they put those same five uniquely designed spaces together into one big one, people see eight maps and five variants on one map. So Forge World is both an incredible achievement, and lowers the perceived value for people counting unique map spaces.

Chorazin

Hypertrooper said:
Btw. guys anyone have a great Halo avatar that i can use? Looking for a new one. (ok i love my noel ava but reach gets my attention right now.)

I'd also love a sweet Halo avatar, I'm getting a bit bored of Dan, especially since there is some other dude with an almost identical avatar. :(

Mik2121

DcLevartho said:
I was thinking about that but the rake tool would make it look like a serrated knife at an angle. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference at a distance but I am a real stickler for details. No matter how subtle they may be.

That helmet probably wouldn't take too long if you did a rough sub-d model and then cut details in while maintaining quads.
Yeah. Looking forward to your Zbrush sculpted details :p

I will have to go to sleep now and tomorrow continue with my own project, but I already started the front of the helmet, but there are a few places in the helmet front and sides that don't match up exactly so I will have to just guess the optimal spot.. :lol

Ah well, good night! :)

feel

p3tran said:
p.s.
no heroic pussy talk here plz :D
real men have their first playthrough on legendary.
second playthrough is never like the first time.
Using cheap tactics, hiding like a coward behind rocks most of the time and retrying segments millions of times breaks the roleplaying for me. Heroic for my first time, it should give plenty of challenge on the first playthrough considering it's a new game with new AI behaviors/weapons/etc. Plenty of time for Legendary later.

Dani said:
So how's that Premium Theme? Anyone get it?
Seemed pretty uninspired on the youtube vid, I skipped on it.

wwm0nkey said:
Nice. Once the actual good forgers get their hands on the game and start learning all the kinks and working on maps, things are gonna get nuts.

Chorazin said:
But it's free. Who doesn't like free?
Costs $3.
Even if it was free I'd rather continue using the beautiful planet Reach backdrop I currently have even if it doesn't change in the different parts of the dash http://i51.tinypic.com/2dmfvbl.jpg

Resilient

Salivating...the wait is almost over. Halo releases are one of the few benefits of living in Australia, we get it first!

Ryn

Totally getting this midnight release if gamestop is doing one. Finally a use for my bday gift card!

Hydranockz said:
Oh I completely agree, and am happy with the selection.
I think people's point is that the metrics will very likely show that the breakdown between Traditional MP and Firefight will weigh heavily in favour of Traditional MP in the areas of
-Perceived Value
-Overall Population Playtime
Therefore, some see some of it as a waste of resources.

I think it's great, couldn't be more happy.
*pauses*
ACTUALLY I could. How Bungie handle playlists, community maps & gametypes is my concern, and the one area I'm not fully confident in. We still don't have someone visible who's in charge of these areas, do we?

Deputy Moonman said:
This a hundred times over. We're going to be staring at the same general green island/forerunner structure pieces for quite a long time, more original maps would have been appreciated. Bungie could have uploaded those maps after Reach was released, in addition to the normal number of unique maps that normally come with a Halo release. Not sure what the thinking was behind that. but it sucks. And while I appreciate firefight (and the subsequent resources and time that it takes to make specific maps for it), it will never have the re playability that regular matchmaking provides. Competing against real people will always trump computer AI, even if the AI is good. Because in the end, something just feels better about beating a real person.

I used to feel this way, but then I went walking through Halo CE's multiplayer spaces, and I realized that they basically all have the same 5 textures with slightly different coloring. Especially if you look at the fan favorite maps (Hang em high, Wizard, Derelict, Prisoner, Cold Storage's fore-runner, etc) I've kind of come around to the fact that in the end, 98% of the enjoyment we get from these maps will be based on how they play not how they look.

I would also just like to point out that there's VS. in firefight now ;).

Just paid off my pre-order :D Now I just have to sit by the front door every morning and wait for Mr Postman to arrive. I got ODST early (and Gears 2) from this site, lets hope the tradition continues!

feel

Bungie staff, any launch party plans for the Miami area? My good friend is there on vacation and keeps asking me about it.

Just read the (3 posts long) OP. Great job Ghaleon.

You've really out done yourself, looks awesome.

Learned some new stuff haha.

And dang it about the free theme last night... :(

Hey You

VGChampion said:
Starting to have second thoughts on my Legendary edition preorder. Having flash backs of how cheap the Halo 3 one got to. Hmmm....
The Legendary Edition is actually limited. Microsoft only produced a certain amount this time around.

electricpirate said:
I would also just like to point out that there's VS. in firefight now ;).
what is VS?

and is it true that the Firefight maps won't be playable with CTF or regular Slayer or anything?

LordAlu

So, with the Limited Edition arriving in work I took a few more pictures. Click to embiggen. Also, the box is ridiculously shiny :D

Since I'm buying the Limited Edition I was allowed to open mine too, still can't bring it home though :( There is a printed note which is included - to be honest I can't remember seeing it in any of the content shots online, so i've blanked it out and provided a link instead of a thumbnail to the full one. I'm not sure if it's spoilery or not since I refuse to read it :p

Printed Note

p3tran

Banned
Letters said:
Using cheap tactics, hiding like a coward behind rocks most of the time and retrying segments millions of times breaks the roleplaying for me. Heroic for my first time, it should give plenty of challenge on the first playthrough considering it's a new game with new AI behaviors/weapons/etc. Plenty of time for Legendary later.
previous games I did my first playthrough on heroic.
most time easy pass, some mild difficult points.
I enjoyed myself a lot more on legendary, but all the surprises where no longer surprises.

Also, who says that playing cautiously (and retrying if you fail, yes) against the best the game has to throw at you
is cowardly, compared to ..taking the easier way? ;p

p.s. great box there 8)

VGChampion said:
Starting to have second thoughts on my Legendary edition preorder. Having flash backs of how cheap the Halo 3 one got to. Hmmm....

Same here... I really hope it's limited this time.

LordAlu said:
So, with the Limited Edition arriving in work I took a few more pictures. Click to embiggen. Also, the box is ridiculously shiny :D
IMG_0383.jpg

Gosh the Legendary box is massive :D

Zomo

LordAlu said:

Since I'm buying the Limited Edition I was allowed to open mine too, still can't bring it home though :( There is a printed note which is included - to be honest I can't remember seeing it in any of the content shots online, so i've blanked it out and provided a link instead of a thumbnail to the full one. I'm not sure if it's spoilery or not since I refuse to read it :p

Printed Note
Looks good. I have no idea how we're going to fit all the legendarys in our store room >.< we should be getting them in sometime this week. I will not be taking pictures though :lol

Hey You

The Lamonster said:
what is VS?

and is it true that the Firefight maps won't be playable with CTF or regular Slayer or anything?
Versus. 4 players. Usually plays 2 Spartans versus 2 Elites along side Elite AI. You can play 3 vs 2,2vs1 etc

OsciBosci

Neo Member
First review??

NeoPlus ( Polish Magazine - once again? )

Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good - Singleplayer mode, Multiplayer mode, Forge, Koop, Theatre, AI, Sound
Bad - anyway, it could look better

10 out of 10

Wolffen

Outstanding job on the OP, Ghaleon and Modus. Can't believe we're less than a week away now.

Now I have to decide if I should play through the campaign by myself on heroic first, or play through with my wife on normal. What say you, HaloGAF?

edit: God, I can't wait to get my hands on the Legendary edition!

feel

LordAlu said:
packaging pics
Thanks. Love the contents of the limited editions, everything seems very high quality and genuine. I adore high-end unpacking experiences.

p3tran said:
previous games I did my first playthrough on heroic.
most time easy pass, some mild difficult points.
I enjoyed myself a lot more on legendary, but all the surprises where no longer surprises.

Also, who says that playing cautiously (and retrying if you fail, yes) against the best the game has to throw at you
is cowardly, compared to ..taking the easier way? ;p
Well, don't be cheap and play with all skulls on then, Legendary is easier compared to that. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
GhaleonEB said:
As an utter packaging snob, I gotta say, that looks fantastic. Unboxing will be glorious.

I love good packaging too. It's a shame I'm not an Apple guy lol. It's also too bad I'm getting Limited Edition and not Legendary.
Don't care enough for that statue.

LordAlu

Zomo said:
Looks good. I have no idea how we're going to fit all the legendarys in our store room >.< we should be getting them in sometime this week. I will not be taking pictures though :lol
One Legendary box is around about the size of two 360 Slim boxes, so they do take up a lot of room. I suppose it depends on how many your store will get!

Zomo

LordAlu said:
One Legendary box is around about the size of two 360 Slim boxes, so they do take up a lot of room. I suppose it depends on how many your store will get!
IIRC I think we have about 20? All up including limited, standard and console pre orders for reach it's around 100. Going to be a busy launch for such a small store.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
I love good packaging too. It's a shame I'm not an Apple guy lol. It's also too bad I'm getting Limited Edition and not Legendary.
Yeah, the statue isn't worth that much money. Limited is sexy though.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Trasher said:
Yeah, the statue isn't worth that much money. Limited is sexy though.

I've seen similar statues go for above and beyond the Legendary RRP without a kick-ass game attached.

I think it's certainly worth the money, but only if you're into that kinda thing.

p3tran

Banned
Letters said:
Well, don't be cheap and play with all skulls on then, Legendary is easier compared to that. :p
aaah, I see now..
thats why you'll go heroic.... to make it more difficult :D

feel

Tashi0106 said:
All the fun seems to be included in the limited edition, the legendary all it has extra is a huge ass toy wrapped in styrofoam. The crate does look sexy though.

Chorazin

OsciBosci said:
First review??

NeoPlus ( Polish Magazine - once again? )

Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good - Singleplayer mode, Multiplayer mode, Forge, Koop, Theatre, AI, Sound
Bad - anyway, it could look better

10 out of 10

Use the spoiler tags plz. :)

Letters said:
All the fun seems to be included in the limited edition, the legendary all it has extra is a huge ass toy wrapped in styrofoam. The crate does look sexy though.

The statue is going to look great along with my Halo 3 Legendary cathelmet. I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom