• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, dumb question time. Do the offline credits you earn count towards your online rank? Say someone plays a bunch offline and starts playing the online will they then start as Sergeant grade 2 or something?

REV 09 said:
MP maps :(...if we have Forge world, then 5 of the base maps don't need to be from Forge world and most of them are remakes at that, which the community would have created anyways within a week of release.
This a hundred times over. We're going to be staring at the same general green island/forerunner structure pieces for quite a long time, more original maps would have been appreciated. Bungie could have uploaded those maps after Reach was released, in addition to the normal number of unique maps that normally come with a Halo release. Not sure what the thinking was behind that. but it sucks. And while I appreciate firefight (and the subsequent resources and time that it takes to make specific maps for it), it will never have the re playability that regular matchmaking provides. Competing against real people will always trump computer AI, even if the AI is good. Because in the end, something just feels better about beating a real person.

Mik2121

Hypertrooper said:
Send me a pm.
If you guys want some logos or something I can help out maybe.

I was doing this now, though I know we won't use it, but... http://imgur.com/tY5SG.png

(Usually I can do much better than this (and cleaner, the dirt is way too strong here) if we actually decide on something.. heh)

EDIT - Actually I don't even like the logo I posted above. But yeah, I think I could still help out with making the firefight challenge post or thread prettier :p

Jedeye Sniv said:
I think the game is advertising the toys rather than vice versa. Although have you seen that Warthog?? OMG, so tempting...

Well either way, i bet there both gonna sell pretty big, and help each other out. If i was a kid and was into Halo, i would be all over these. :lol The Warthog would be equivalent to the Ghost Busters Ecto–1 toy for this generation.

Chinner

Banned
this is what im goign to do when i get reach:
install it
make duck emblem
play couple of campaign missions (on heroic)
little bit of multiplayer
finish campaign
play multiplayer
co op on campaign
search credits for mention of frankie

REV 09

Hydranockz said:
What? Reflection is the only remake made from something other than Forgeworld. The 'remakes' made from Forgeworld are not counted as traditional MP maps. The 'base' count is still quite large and the built in variants larely serve as day 1 playlist hoppers that will give the players added variety. Hardly a bad thing.. but I fear as if I may have misunderstood.
from the OP
Reach ships with 13 multiplayer maps: eight on unique environments, and five constructed within Forge World.
that leaves only 8 unique maps and then Forge World. Spire and Boneyard are basically just for invasion or Big Team as well. out of the 6 left for midsize, 2 are from the beta, 2 are remakes (ivory tower and midship)...so there are only 2 maps that we haven't seen yet.

The map count is thin.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Fantasy Final said:
Finally a Halo game where you don't have to master the BR to play online.

So right. Instead of a weapon that fires three bullets you have two weapons that can fire one :lol

I kid, I fucking loooooove the pistol so much, and the DMR ain't too bad either

Monocle

electricpirate said:
I didn't think it was reset, but the amount of credits you've saved get's dialed back heavily.

IE, say it's a 10x bonus for playing offline, so when you hop online, your credits are zapped by a multiple of 10, and you'll have to rebuy any stuff that you can still afford.

Similarly, if you play before the release date, all credits are set to zero on release once you hop online.
Yeah, that would make more sense than erasing all the credits you've earned.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Chinner said:
this is what im goign to do when i get reach:
install it
make penis emblem
play couple of campaign missions (on normal, because I have lady parts)
little bit of multiplayer
finish campaign
play multiplayer
co op on campaign
search credits for mention of ghaleonEB (or Dax01!)

Fixed (for me)

Gui_PT

Monocle said:
Yeah, that would make more sense than erasing all the credits you've earned.

No, it would make more sense for everything to reset. Because it would be unfair for the people who got the game at the release date.

Which is what will happen, because it's what Urk said in the BWU.

Edit: I thought you meant about the people who got the game pre-release. Nevermind :lol

p3tran

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
The biggest crime about this is that it's my fiancee's birthday on Thursday this week, and I've had to scrimp and save to get her pressies and take her out. I feel like a total douche buying myself a game/toy a week after for twice what I've spent on her. I've rationalised it by saying that I bought her a £500 ring earlier this year but still... :lol
I would bet that at some point she has spent (or will spend) twice as much on something for herself than a present for you,
so you really should have zero problem with this

Monocle

Gui_PT said:
No, it would make more sense for everything to reset. Because it would be unfair for the people who got the game at the release date.

Which is what will happen, because it's what Urk said in the BWU.
I should have been clearer. I meant any credits earned offline after the release date.

I'm going to have to mooch off of people with 360s this semester. I don't think I can wait until Thanksgiving to play Reach!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
p3tran said:
I would bet that at some point she has spent (or will spend) twice as much on something for herself than a present for you,
so you really should have zero problem with this

I dunno, she's not really that materialistic at all. I think the most expensive thing I can ever remember her buying (in 10 years) has been a DS phat back when they came out. And a laptop, but In the meantime I've bought myself 2 PCs, a PS2, an Xbox 360 and several thousand comics.

Yes GAF, I'm a cunt :lol

Jedeye Sniv said:
I dunno, she's not really that materialistic at all. I think the most expensive thing I can ever remember her buying (in 10 years) has been a DS phat back when they came out. And a laptop, but In the meantime I've bought myself 2 PCs, a PS2, an Xbox 360 and several thousand comics.

Woah, vinny.

Also great job on OP, this last week is killing me.

REV 09 said:
from the OP
Oh?

Firefight ships with eight maps

That's 16 unique map spaces (8 FF and 8 multiplayer). Sure half of those are Firefight but one cannot simply disregard them as it was a feature that needed support much like the bulk of 'vanilla' multiplayer. You must consider that had a massive impact on the resources available to create original content for the Multiplayer side of things.

There are still maps that have been made but are no doubt being held for DLC.

What were the shipping numbers of maps for the other Halo games? Reach is no more than 2 maps short of the other Halo game with the least shipped maps. 5 initial Forgeworld variants will add to the perceived map count and therefore you won't be stuck playing the same 1 or 2 maps over and over again.

No, Zealot is not a Midship remake.

Mr. Sam

Zeouterlimits said:
If it helps the weekend after it comes out is a free multiplayer for silver accounts weekend.

But surely - surely - a weekend is simply not enough?

Also, nine pages on, nice OP. Real purdy.

4OGc2.gif

Woooh..... source on that?

Monocle

Jedeye Sniv said:

perx9.jpg

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around much recently, firefighting and college has been busy lately.

a5g6f5.jpg

To make you all feel better, I set up the ortho's today and should be done before Reach releases. Though I may add some details to put in my own style.

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
That's 16 unique map spaces. Sure half of those are Firefight but one cannot simply disregard them as it was a feature that needed support much like the bulk of 'vanilla' multiplayer. You must consider that had a massive impact on the resources available to create original content for the Multiplayer side of things.

What were the shipping numbers of maps for the other Halo games? Reach is no more than 2 maps short of the other Halo game with the least shipped maps. 5 initial Forgeworld variants will add to the perceived map count and therefore you won't be stuck playing the same 1 or 2 maps over and over again.
Yeah I think the MP map count is going to be a point of contention. With the Forge World variants, it's 13 maps, without, it's 8. Personally, I don't mind the similar visual aesthetic, as long as the maps themselves play differently, and the Forge World variants do. They're designed and built as unique maps, but with the same visual theme. Mileage will vary on this one. With resources split evenly between Firefight MP (eight unique locations for each) I think they balanced it pretty well.

I can't remember the interview, but I recall someone from Bungie saying in a Comic-Con interview that one of the reasons Forge World had its five spaces merged was they didn't have enough time or resources to create five unique sky boxes. So they were being designed to look like they were all from the same area, at which point Cotton started pushing to include them all in the same space.

I have a hard time seeing how five unique maps somehow don't count because they're built in the same (enormous) environment. I don't think the map count is thin.

Hydranockz said:
That's 16 unique map spaces. Sure half of those are Firefight but one cannot simply disregard them as it was a feature that needed support much like the bulk of 'vanilla' multiplayer. You must consider that had a massive impact on the resources available to create original content for the Multiplayer side of things.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. It's spot on. But for the person who generally loves playing against other people the most, the map count is slim (if one views the forge world maps as a lesser substitute for what we're used to). I think I can get as much satisfaction out of playing through the campaign repeatedly as playing firefight repeatedly. And I'm not trying to dog firefight. I just like the traditional matchmaking more.

In unrelated news:

In late 2008 or 2009, The Art of Halo 3 unknowingly went out of print making it an extremely rare collector's item. Online stores have an average low price of just over $200 with prices known to go well over $1000.

I still have my copy in perfect condition, going to hold onto this baby. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I think the MP map count is going to be a point of contention. With the Forge World variants, it's 13 maps, without, it's 8. Personally, I don't mind the similar visual aesthetic, as long as the maps themselves play differently, and the Forge World variants do. Mileage will vary on this one. With resources split evenly between Firefight MP (eight unique locations for each) I think they balanced it pretty well.

I can't remember the interview, but I recall someone from Bungie saying in a Comic-Con interview that one of the reasons Forge World had its five spaces merged was they didn't have enough time or resources to create five unique sky boxes. So they were being designed to look like they were all from the same area, at which point Cotton started pushing to include them all in the same space.
I agree. I feel that Rev may have been getting confused saying we have 2 Multiplayer maps to be revealed. But we don't.

Quick Recap:
Multiplayer Maps: Boneyard, Spire, Swordbase, Powerhouse, Zealot, Reflection, Countdown and Boardwalk. That's 8 + Forgeworld variants.

Firefight: Corvette, Overlook, Beachhead, Waterfront, Courtyard, Outpost, ??? and ???.

That is 16 maps even before you consider Forgeworld...

Mik2121

DcLevartho said:
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around much recently, firefighting and college has been busy lately.

http://i53.tinypic.com/a5g6f5.jpg[IMG]

To make you all feel better, I set up the ortho's today and should be done before Reach releases. Though I may add some details to put in my own style.[/QUOTE]
Nice. If only I had enough free time, I would do this one... (I just set it up after seeing your post :lol )

[IMG]http://imgur.com/Nhtd0.jpg

Mik2121 said:
Nice. If only I had enough free time, I would do this one... (I just set it up after seeing your post :lol )

http://imgur.com/Nhtd0.jpg

You should try to do it anyway. I think what is going to take the most time for me is doing each individual scratch on the visor in Zbrush, after I design a brush that acts like a knife.

Starting to have second thoughts on my Legendary edition preorder. Having flash backs of how cheap the Halo 3 one got to. Hmmm....

Mik2121

DcLevartho said:
You should try to do it anyway. I think what is going to take the most time for me is doing each individual scratch on the visor in Zbrush, after I design a brush that acts like a knife.
Well, if you have time you could always take that to Photoshop, create an alpha and use that as a base, then just use one of the default "rake" tools in ZBrush and make the dents.

Anyway, right now I'm busy with other 3D stuff, but I might work on this helmet every now and then whenever I have some free time and I'm not doing anything else :/

Chorazin

Chip N Chance said:
I was in a Target yesterday and they had just a wall of Halo Reach toys. It reminds me of when a big Hollywood comes out and they have a full toy line day one. I guess this action figure line is one of Halo Reach's big marketing pole, much like Halo 3's Mountain Dew Game Fuel.

Must be nice, I was in Target on Sunday and they had three of the Spartan/Elite combo packs (I bought one), two of the USNC soldier two packs (who the hell wants regular soldiers?) three of the old Mongoose sets (although two were the VISOR w/ Rookie figure, which tempted me even though I have the regular one), and one sad old Master Chef figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom