• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover |OT| - This city has 4 ports

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So as a switch user yearning for content.... This or snake pass?

I have a Pro but I don't care about tech stuff for a game like this just dumb fun.

I can't stress this enough: unless you really, really want to play this right now, wait. Lego games typically crater in price far quicker than most other games and often have steep sales, and this game's nature as an extremely belated port will likely exacerbate this.

Surprised this is 1080p when docked on Switch with a pretty solid 30fps aswell! Always wanted it for Wii U so I'll be getting this after finishing Zelda.

Wow, why is this $60 on Switch for a 4 year old game with few changes? I got it for $15 from CDkeys for PC lol..

Yeah. We get it folks. CDkeys has it cheaper for PC. Hope you all enjoy.

That aside, it looks surprisingly good docked on the switch. Nice in portable as well.

Mega

Banned
Got some Wii U and Switch captures tonight. Switch version looks significantly better (higher res) and has a more pleasant warm filter from what I could see. I personally don't care for the heavy DOF filter on the Wii U version. Forgot to mention that in the closeup cargo container shots you can see a lot more color banding in the Wii U version.

Wii U (left), Switch (right)
Ju9tEqy.png
69o4xEs.png

Switch-only capture below. I set up a Wii U version but seems the screenshot didn't save. Wii U was basically blurry as hell and greenish like the police car pic.

bumpkin

Got some Wii U and Switch captures tonight. Switch version looks significantly better (higher res) and has a more pleasant warm filter from what I could see. I personally don't care for the heavy DOF filter on the Wii U version.

Great post and awesome pics. It definitely does look cleaner and more pleasant to the eyes on the Switch. Really my only concern lies in the load times which sound like there's a lot of hyperbole and contradictions flying around. I'll be curious to see how my experience is when I get the game (physical) tomorrow. As I said in a previous post, I've got an SDXC 128GB microSD card in my system. I doubt that will change anything when playing a physical copy, but we'll see what some timing tests yield.

The load times on the Wii U were down right painful, but I powered through them because the game was a lot of fun.

neo2046

Got some Wii U and Switch captures tonight. Switch version looks significantly better (higher res) and has a more pleasant warm filter from what I could see. I personally don't care for the heavy DOF filter on the Wii U version.

Switch-only capture below. I set up a Wii U version but seems the screenshot didn't save. Wii U was basicallt blurry as hell and greenish like the police car pic.
thanks !
NS version looks good
hope they release a further patch to improve the loading time more soon

Peterthumpa

Hmmm is there no radio in cars? No music when driving... Can't remember a open world game doing that ever?
Well, this is a Lego game after all, I bet a lot of kids will play this game, and I don't think you could include a radio selection that is actually safe for listening without being cringe worthy.

Jeffrey

Well, this is a Lego game after all, I bet a lot of kids will play this game, and I don't think you could include a radio selection that is actually safe for listening without being cringe worthy.

Could have a talk show channel like Laszlo in gta but more pg.

I have a Pro but I don't care about tech stuff for a game like this just dumb fun.

i dont know about snake pass but i play lego city on wiiu and its the best lego game for me. Funny story, fun exploration, a lot of content..it takes me about 60hrs to finish with only 30 percent completion.

SomTervo

So I got the PC version with the cdkeys crazy price of $15, got it running at 1440p by editing the ini file using notepad+

At 1440p - the game actually kinda looks bad because you can really tell how bad the assets are (since it was originally a Wii U game). Blocky things are fine but assets like flowers just look really odd and weird looking in a very off putting way which mean I didnt enjoy looking at the scenery as much as I did on the Wii U version. Due to this the game may actually look better at say 1080p. Load times were decent on a regular drive.

I may end up getting the game for the switch because I think it will look great on the small screen. Probably wait for a price drop though given I already spent $15 on the PC version.

This is surreal to a comic extent

SP is a quarter the price and probably a quarter the content.

Both games are great.

If you're starved for content Undercover is probably a better bet.

Lucifon

Can't wait for this to arrive. In the UK so we have to wait until Friday but my order has been dispatched so fingers crossed for tomorrow. Playing this in portable will be awesome!

Buggy Loop

Video comparison between WiiU and Switch versions

https://youtu.be/keVl0gundvY

This has to be higher than 720p in docked mode. Considering WB's messy release of this so far, i would take 720p claim with a grain of salt. It looks a lot better. DF analysis should be interesting.

Santar

Do we know what they replaced the nintendo themed stuff with? I seem to recall there being some collectibles like stars and question blocks even

Wil348

Should I get Lego worlds or Lego city?

Worlds is very "eh" in my opinion. I liked it while it was in early access where it was pretty much a building tool, but they've bogged that down with a progression system that feels forced and restrictive for the sake of adding more "depth". That and it's a mess on consoles, with bad framerates and atrocious render distance.

City on the other hand takes the previously existing Lego formula in a direction that feels very different from its predecessors, and feels like a more serious attempt. It's far and away the best game TT have done, and you definitely shouldn't sleep on it.

Vitacat

I wanna trust you Vitacat, but I've been hurt before.

For me this is a very worthy port. I loved what I played so far. It looks obviously better than WiiU, and IMO surprisingly similar to other versions.

For example, watch this video: Lego City Undercover | Switch VS PS4 | GRAPHICS COMPARISON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dJQiQhk3cY

For me there's not much difference there, and the Switch also gets you handheld mode and some Nintendo exclusive content.

Load times are like 50 seconds to/from the police station, and other loads are around 15 - 20 seconds. So, definitely improved from WiiU, but everyone has different tolerances. My first computer loaded games from cassette tapes which took several minutes to get even a small game into RAM, and I'm also from an older, more patient generation since I didn't grow up with the internet and instant access to so many things. So, YMMV depending on age and background I think.

But the game itself is pure joy, especially if the 70's/80's cop show riffs jibe for you.

NOTE: I only paid $36 for this game using Bestbuy GCU + Visa Checkout. I almost never pay $60 for games, and I don't think anyone should. If you can't get a good deal, wait for sales. They will come. If I didn't own a Switch, I'd probably get the PC version from CDkeys for $15.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's not my sammich

Not double dipping but if you haven't played this, I recommend it - was a huge amount of fun on WiiU and a really pleasant surprise after all the cookie cutter Lego games previously

I loved the game on Wii U but I don't feel the urge to replay just yet (certainly not at full price). It's pretty big and has a terrific sense of fun.

Only think I hated about the original experience was the long load times, but considering certain other games with long load times, I can't really mark it as a bad game. Hopefully its been sorted fore the new release.

If you haven't played it, play it. I might just say, wait for it to drop a bit. Its a WB game so it will probably be available for next to nothing within a few months anyway. Some of the PC prices I've seen are almost steam sale levels.

Plum

Got some Wii U and Switch captures tonight. Switch version looks significantly better (higher res) and has a more pleasant warm filter from what I could see. I personally don't care for the heavy DOF filter on the Wii U version. Forgot to mention that in the closeup cargo container shots you can see a lot more color banding in the Wii U version.

Switch-only capture below. I set up a Wii U version but seems the screenshot didn't save. Wii U was basically blurry as hell and greenish like the police car pic.

Damn, the colour grading on the Wii U version is horrible. The game looks much better on Switch; not technically outside of resolution, of course, but it's definitely noticeable.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I tried local coop on Switch, "alone" with two controllers.

The game still runs in 1080p oO
But the framerate takes a huge hit, around 20.

Fun note, the whole map seem available to any player, I could go far away with one character while the other stayed in the city, two distinct parts of the map loaded at once, unexpected.

I'm encoding a framerate video right now.

Tried a bit of portable local coop, still 720p, but framerate is even worse than docked, around 15.

Seik

Banned
I tried local coop on Switch, "alone" with two controllers.

The game still runs in 1080p oO
But the framerate takes a huge hit, around 20.

Fun note, the whole map seem available to any player, I could go far away with one character while the other stayed in the city, two distinct parts of the map loaded at once, unexpected.

I'm encoding a framerate video right now.

Tried a bit of portable local coop, still 720p, but framerate is even worse than docked, around 15.

Thanks for all these analysis.

I think when both players are near each others the game goes single screen, or does it stays split screen all the way?

My question is (if it's the former) does the framerate stays the same if the game isn't split screen?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I think when both players are near each others the game goes single screen, or does it stays split screen all the way?

My question (if it's the former) does the fps stays the same if the game isn't split screen?

Always splitscreen, at first I tried with one guy on the top of the other player's car, then I saw I could separate them so I only captured that part, but the framerate is always the same, near 20.

I could get 30 fps but when looking at the ground/sky or the sea.

I think a simple patch lowering resolution while playing in coop would make the framerate better.

daxy

Always splitscreen, at first I tried with one guy on the top of the other player's car, then I saw I could separate them so I only captured that part, but the framerate is always the same, near 20.

I could get 30 fps but when looking at the ground/sky or the sea.

I think a simple patch lowering resolution while playing in coop would make the framerate better.

I'd be fine with it dropping to 900p or if it would consistently hit 30 fps. Ah, how I wish console games offered advanced graphics options!

thatJohann

What's with all the lengthy games lately? Is a 6-8 hour game too much to ask for? I don't have time for all these long games! Ugh, gonna have to give up gaming soon.

Lexxism

OHH! So it's a good port instead of a bad one? That's good. I'll just probably wait for a cheaper one since I already played it on WiiU

leng jai

The PS4 Pro version is pretty average, doesn't seem to have any downsampling at all. Wouldn't be surprised if it looked almost identical to the Switch version with an unlocked frame rate. Not sure if there's a day one patch that improves it since wifi isn't working on my PS4 at the moment.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't stress this enough: unless you really, really want to play this right now, wait. Lego games typically crater in price far quicker than most other games and often have steep sales, and this game's nature as an extremely belated port will likely exacerbate this.

Lego Avengers stayed relatively high for a long, long time, as did this one on Wii U.

Vitacat

Lego City Undercover Load Time Handheld vs. Docked (Digital Download)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDepzF5qPs

wow! the loading time in Digital version is so much better...

Erm... that 51 second docked load is the same as the cart version. Haven't tried handheld mode yet.

But it's interesting that the handheld mode load is much faster. Well done by the devs there.

EDIT: very odd. So, I just started the game in handheld mode and the initial load is the same 51 seconds. Not sure how they got such a faster load in handheld mode. Their docked mode time is the same as the cart version.

bomblord1

Banned
Video comparison between WiiU and Switch versions

https://youtu.be/keVl0gundvY

This has to be higher than 720p in docked mode. Considering WB's messy release of this so far, i would take 720p claim with a grain of salt. It looks a lot better. DF analysis should be interesting.

Isn't this the same channel that did the fake Snakepass comparison?

edit: it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1JLCCrZfk

For all we know this could be the same issue as last time just throwing up the PC version at different settings.

Vitacat

Wait what? How can loading be faster in handheld mode? That doesn't make any sense.

So to be able to play faster, you'd undock the Switch, load the game, then dock it again? What?

I can confirm that on my cart the initial load is the same in both docked and handheld modes: about 51 seconds.

Not sure what's up in that video.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Lego City Undercover Load Time Handheld vs. Docked (Digital Download)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDepzF5qPs

wow! the loading time in Digital version is so much better...

Is he comparing the same version or just digital portable and cart docked ?

I own the digital one and loadings are quite the same in both modes, around 45-50 sec for the initial load, installed on a Sandisk 128 GB, I might try installing it on the internal memory as it's faster.

From the DF Zelda load video : internal storage > SD > Cart.

Top Bottom