• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Mascot

I was worried about the ghost implementation but the above sounds like a good starting point for lower ranks

If they can address the issue where it can be used to overtake other cars, I can live with it for the hopefully brief period of time I spend in D and E ranks. Even if it is in the lower ranks only, and it can be used to win races, people will exploit the shit out of ghost to pass.

I'm gonna start calling him Kazper if he goes overboard with ghosting in the release version.

IISANDERII

I love the ghosting! Keeps clowns off my car. Without it, I know I wouldn't have put hundreds of hours into online races in GT5 and 6.

What's everybody's SR and how high does it go? I'm at 42 right now, only second night of racing.

buldrhm

Neo Member
Raced that Tokyo track last night twice, the first race nobody finished with a double digit SR, the second nobody finished higher than 1!

paskowitz

Should I start investing in a wheel?

I would wait. GT Sport isn't coming out until the fall and there are usually good wheel sales around then. Also Fanatec, who currently doesn't make any PS4 compatible wheels, and whose current wheels are high end, is working on a PS4 compatible wheel.

Gestault

I would love to see a mode along the lines of Dirt's 100-player "multiplayer" where they sync the players in the same session and give ongoing time performance tables for the players closest to you. You don't see other cars, so it's basically a massive time-attack event, but that's something I really enjoy. Overly aggressive ghosting in normal multiplayer is annoying in its own way.

JamboGT

"*Those who have already applied for the Closed Beta Test from the SIEE/SIEA website do not need to apply again."

Yeah but I also liked putting in my favourite GT game and some notes on my thoughts and hopes for GT Sport.

I would love to see a mode along the lines of Dirt's 100-player "multiplayer" where they sync the players in the same session and give ongoing time performance tables for the players closest to you. You don't see other cars, so it's basically a massive time-attack event, but that's something I really enjoy. Overly aggressive ghosting in normal multiplayer is annoying in its own way.

GT5 did something kinda similar a few times, but it was live. There were scheduled events with a live leaderboard. If I remember correctly there were a few tests they did of it then the main one was a live event against everyone and David Coulthard in an AMG around the Top Gear track. Was fun, wish they had done more of those considering they had the tech for it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I would wait. GT Sport isn't coming out until the fall and there are usually good wheel sales around then. Also Fanatec, who currently doesn't make any PS4 compatible wheels, and whose current wheels are high end, is working on a PS4 compatible wheel.

I don't doubt it's possible it gets delayed until the Fall, or .. whenever for that matter, but, nothing was officially announced about another delay was there?

Also, last night, when driving on Tokyo Expressway, a driver purposefully bashed into my car over and over to gain rank. All the while he's purposefully doing this, and it was very obvious he was, I was losing SR. Pretty annoying. After he finally got by me, he started weaving back and forth frantically as if his car were a vertical, moving version of a Pong block defending against multi-balls at high speeds. Dick move.

Other than that, it's been pretty good from my perspective, but I'm not a hardcore racer, and certainly not a very good one at this point.

Unknown?

I don't doubt it's possible it gets delayed until the Fall, or .. whenever for that matter, but, nothing was officially announced about another delay was there?

Also, last night, when driving on Tokyo Expressway, a driver purposefully bashed into my car over and over to gain rank. All the while he's purposefully doing this, and it was very obvious he was, I was losing SR. Pretty annoying. After he finally got by me, he started weaving back and forth frantically as if his car were a vertical, moving version of a Pong block defending against multi-balls at high speeds. Dick move.

Other than that, it's been pretty good from my perspective, but I'm not a hardcore racer, and certainly not a very good one at this point.
Uhhh he's getting penalized for that too you know.. After doing that a lot you wouldn't even be matched with him.

Darklor01

Uhhh he's getting penalized for that too you know.. After doing that a lot you wouldn't even be matched with him.

Yeah. I know. My issue is that I'm being penalized for his actions when they were unavoidable on my part. That's BS. It drags me down with him during that race. Obviously me continuing to race cleanly will ensure I don't get matched with him, but there is no reporting system in place where I can click on his name and report him on the spot and there should be one.

SR systems work far better when damage in enabled. It makes it a much larger risk to do stupid shit like that. I really hope we get the option to start in the pit lane for races. Much easier to bang out a few clean laps from the back and get some easy SR when the game launches then fighting it out in the shit show that is guaranteed to be E rank first laps.

Darklor01

SR systems work far better when damage in enabled. It makes it a much larger risk to do stupid shit like that. I really hope we get the option to start in the pit lane for races. Much easier to bang out a few clean laps from the back and get some easy SR when the game launches then fighting it out in the shit show that is guaranteed to be E rank first laps.

Makes sense. Maybe I should make myself start from the back to get some high SR. Thing would be that the only way I know of to get higher rank over E is to get faster and win.. no?

Makes sense. Maybe I should make myself start from the back to get some high SR. Thing would be that the only way I know of to get higher rank over E is to get faster and win.. no?

That aspect is a little unclear. I was browsing the official beta forums yesterday and saw some posts from GT staff that there are SR gates for DR rank. E.g. you will not go from D to C until you have a high enough SR, regardless of your wins. But, we have no idea what point system is behind the scenes for the DR rank. We don't know if the entire grid gets points, laps completed, laps completed with no negative SR. Many things could be influencing the DR ranking. It could even been races completed, regardless of finshing position. Either way, banking some SR quickly is probably a good idea. Going from E to D seemed to happen really quickly. I think it took two races, and I definitely wasn't on the podium for those two.

Darklor01

That aspect is a little unclear. I was browsing the official beta forums yesterday and saw some posts from GT staff that there are SR gates for DR rank. E.g. you will not go from D to C until you have a high enough SR, regardless of your wins. But, we have no idea what point system is behind the scenes for the DR rank. We don't know if the entire grid gets points, laps completed, laps completed with no negative SR. Many things could be influencing the DR ranking. It could even been races completed, regardless of finshing position. Either way, banking some SR quickly is probably a good idea. Going from E to D seemed to happen really quickly. I think it took two races, and I definitely wasn't on the podium for those two.

I'm still ad D, and I've ranked about 9th ish in those races. My SR is 7 currently.

At the bottom of one of the screens where the text crawl is, it mentioned that DR would increase, and the order listed, when you get faster...Or.. I think that's what the crawl reads. I'm not home to check. The other part of the crawl mentions SR and does include the mention of penalty to both drivers for collisions in addition to penalty for going off track..etc.

I am still D rank with a SR of 40 and multiple podiums and wins. I probably need to get to 50 SR or more.

Edit: I personally think they should break it out more like iRacing. Keep SR as is. But give a different qualifier for increasing your DR rank, like having to participate in a set amount of sanctioned races while also getting to a SR gate. For wins, podiums and finishing well in competitive fields, there should be a whole separate driver skill rating that is more about leader boards than locking you out of certain classes.

Darklor01

I am still D rank with a SR of 40 and multiple podiums and wins. I probably need to get to 50 SR or more.

I'm sorry.. I meant.. I'm E rank. Not D. Either way.. thanks for mentioning the 40SR. I forgot whether higher was good or bad. With you saying you're at 40.. it has to be good.. no?

I'm sorry.. I meant.. I'm E rank. Not D. Either way.. thanks for mentioning the 40SR. I forgot whether higher was good or bad. With you saying you're at 40.. it has to be good.. no?

Yes, higher is better. At the end of the race you will see your new total SR. If it is blue, you went up in points. If it is red, you went down in points. Grey/white your SR did not change.

Gestault

GT5 did something kinda similar a few times, but it was live. There were scheduled events with a live leaderboard. If I remember correctly there were a few tests they did of it then the main one was a live event against everyone and David Coulthard in an AMG around the Top Gear track. Was fun, wish they had done more of those considering they had the tech for it.

Yeah, the Dirt mode was live too for the 100 players with like tracking for observers. I did GT Academy events, but I must have missed the races in GT that were simultanious like that. I only knew about the event window stuff (which were great too). Forza has those calendar events built into the Rivals mode in a way that's really nice, sometimes they're tied to professional drivers or sponsorships, but they're set up over windows, not a "one-and-done" race.

Pachimari

Just saw they've tweeted 20 minutes ago that they are moving onto the next phase of the beta. I assume we will soon get access here in Europe?

Darklor01

Darklor01

Yes, it is really annoying. 9xGR.3 1xGR.4 and 2xN300. I have to do every GR.4 race with a shitty FF car.

LOL, I had gotten a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution followed by a Renault Hatchback (forget which), followed by a Mitsubishi Lancer (forget which one). LOL.

Neo 007

I have an Accuforce, Club Sport 3 pedals and a Thrustmaster shifter.

I have a TX base and a CPX adapter as well.

I'm trying to get my direct drive setup working tho.

Also an Accuforce owner.
Maybe,when that new (supposed) Thrustmaster Direct Drive wheel is released,that was unveiled at the Copperbox event last year,then we might get DD support for GTSport.

Until then,Good luck.

Looks like Euro invites will be going out soon

gtbetaw5pic.png

The link sends you to the UK beta site.

Wow, I'm not sure I could play with an FOV like that. Even sitting directly in front of a 80" TV couldn't save that one.
Haven't play a GT game with its original FOV in a long time, but this looks worse than Forza, holy moley. Not even talking about the dash, but how distant the second corner after the karussel looks like. I know how far that should look like.

Top Bottom