• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSGroove - A variety of options for jailbreaking, and new homebrew all the time

3rdman said:
Feel free to PM the solution to all of us. :D
I think it's more like this.

<+Mathieulh> the patch from hermes was easy to do (and cheap) to be honest
<+Mathieulh> besides it's easier to just add a syscall that'll patch the bd auth to always return true
<+Mathieulh> I could do it if I ever cared about backups xD
<+Mathieulh> I could even patch the psn version check if I cared
<+Mathieulh> neither of this is hard by any mean
<+Mathieulh> I just rather see hacked consoles out of SCE servers if I can help it
<+Mathieulh> too many people would cheat and ruin online gaming
<+Mathieulh> if people didn't abuse we'd already have released a psgroove with a psn patch

Zoe

ssowinski said:
Yabut, even if I update to 3.50 and go legit from now on they could still detect and ban me with it.

It might not be safe to do a simple delete of the file. It'd be better to modify the contents.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
brotkasten said:
I think it's more like this.
Yeah, I don't think I'd release information on something like that either. :lol I can see it getting patched up the moment someone decides to blab it to the world.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Zombie James said:
Any update to the Netflix situation?

It would be great if a patch to it allowed people outside USA (although I am in PR... which should be USA laws but well... stupid corporations) to watch streaming content =/

Dante23

shuffle2 said:
Sorry about that, I didn't realize github's gist would try to display the entire binary. Here's a proper repo instead: http://github.com/shuffle2/rockbox_psgroove

I fucking love you dude. Test time!!! :D

Seriously, thanks a lot.

Edit: It worked, thanks again, now it's time to play with some apps, thanks to Killthee for the steps he gave me a few pages back on how to play new demos without access to PSN, I appreciate it :)

jediyoshi

ssowinski said:
BlackBox FTP users might find this useful.

http://www.redmondpie.com/access-ftp-sites-natively-in-windows-7/

Windows access to their PS3 when running an FTP client on it. Simple point and click.

Woot, works fine so far. Especially nice since you can login anonymously with blackbox.

10.0.0.2copylzqz.png

LovingSteam said:
Sorry for my ignorance but I honestly don't understand half of what Marcan says and its significance for little ole' me. Perhaps you wouldn't mind explaining?
Basically, you'd configure your jailbreak device with network settings, the IP of a TFTP server, and a filename. You'd boot your PS3 with the jailbreak device, it would connect to your local PC, download the kernel, and then boot it. You don't need to update your jailbreak device after this. You just update the file on your PC.

Machado said:
what is this good for?

I'm sorry for such a moronic question

Seems that you and I are the idiots of this thread because I don't see what is so good about this either lol. Unless it means that the jailbreak is upgradeable, aka, get around Sony required updates?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
LovingSteam said:
Seems that you and I are the idiots of this thread because I don't see what is so good about this either lol. Unless it means that the jailbreak is upgradeable, aka, get around Sony required updates?
Hassle free updating I think?

Basically making everything more n00b friendly and more efficient

BMF said:
When updated kernels come out, you won't have to reflash your jailbreak device or alternatively a USB stick with a kernel on it.

Does this mean you no longer have to have your USB device continually connected when using the jailbreak? If so, then yes, that is awesome.

LovingSteam said:
Does this mean you no longer have to have your USB device continually connected when using the jailbreak? If so, then yes, that is awesome.
Well, you need it for the start of the boot process. Teetris said it better. Hassle-free updating.

xero273

Tears For Fears said:
Couldn't wait for a psp port any longer, just ordered my AVR. The Saturn and Dreamcast sealed the deal.

the only group that I know of working on the psp port gave up. So good thing you bought a jailbreak device instead.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
LovingSteam said:
PSGroove has never required the dongle be present at all times, it only requires it at boot :D

The original PSJailbreak had the dongle requirement in its payload to force people who wanted to use the dongle on multiple systems at the same time to buy two dongles. The PSGroove team realized it was only necessary to have the dongle connected at boot so they removed the system panic the PSJailbreak team put in when the system realized the dongle was missing.

My understanding of what marcan is trying to do is he's gonna replace the PSJailbreak payload with his own payload that will be able to launch directly into Linux from either a USB or networked drive. His latest tweet is stating he can now load a Linux kernel from a networked drive using his payload, but he's not able to boot it just yet. What this means is eventually we'll be able to use his payload on a dongle connected to a PS3 to boot into a Linux kernel stored on a PC that's on the same network. You won't need to use a USB drive to boot into Linux and whenever you want to update the kernel you can do it easily on your PC by overwriting the current kernel on it.

Killthee said:
PSGroove has never required the dongle be present at all times, it only requires it at boot :D

The original PSJailbreak had the dongle requirement in its payload to force people who wanted to use the dongle on multiple systems at the same time to buy two dongles. The PSGroove team realized it was only necessary to have the dongle connected at boot so they removed the system panic the PSJailbreak team put in when the system realized the dongle was missing.

My understanding of what marcan is trying to do is he's gonna replace the PSJailbreak payload with his own payload that will be able to launch directly into Linux from either a USB or networked drive. His latest tweet is stating he can now load a Linux kernel from a networked drive using his payload, but he's not able to boot it just yet. What this means is eventually we'll be able to use his payload on a dongle connected to a PS3 to boot into a Linux kernel stored on a PC that's on the same network. You won't need to use a USB drive to boot into Linux and whenever you want to update the kernel you can do it easily on your PC by overwriting the current kernel on it.

And this was what he was mentioning last night about getting his PC to 'speak' with the PS3. If IF they can ever get this working on a 3.42, I may just end up getting a board because it would be annoying to have an iPhone (if they ever got that to work) continually connected. Hopefully in the next few weeks they 3.42 will exploited.

LovingSteam said:
Can the PSgroove also undo a brick caused by saying messing up the flash? If the hack puts the PS3 in a debug mode, shouldn't it be possible?
I may be wrong but I think you would need a separate bootloader with some kind of reflashing/recovery ability. I believe a bootloader is in the works to bring back other os support, so I'm sure something would be built in for that.

so if im understanding correctly we would be able to dual boot into gameos dev mode or linux and have the jailbreak hex and linux os both remotely stored on our pc's?

New contestant makes its way

PSGroove.com said:
A new PSJailbreak clone arrives to the scene, named the P3Hub. This time with a built in USB Hub built into it. No longer will your jailbreak take up one of your usb ports. The other jailbreak mods require you to remove your usb devices to preform the exploit, however the P3hub solves that problem. You can now leave your external hard drive plugged right into the P3Hub and never have to unhook anything again. The P3Hub is also upgradeable/programmable for future payload updates. Its available for purchase now and is $59.99. If you’re looking to buy a usb hub already or if you’re tired of unhooking your usb accessories every jailbreak, its a good solution to look into.

Mr_Brit

Banned
How long after the PSP was hacked did it take for a CFW to come out? As long as this thing requires a device to be plugged in and a convoluted startup method and being forced to use an out of date firmware in dev mode then this thing will never pick up with general PS3 users ad if that doesn't happen then the scene will not grow in size and it might stagnate and never realise its true potential.

jediyoshi

Mr_Brit said:
How long after the PSP was hacked did it take for a CFW to come out? As long as this thing requires a device to be plugged in and a convoluted startup method and being forced to use an out of date firmware in dev mode then this thing will never pick up with general PS3 users ad if that doesn't happen then the scene will not grow in size and it might stagnate and never realise its true potential.

It's been years since the initial release of the PS3 and then running unsigned code occurred. Somehow I don't think time is exactly a large factor here. The only obvious sacrifice is lack of online play which wouldn't happen with a CFW anyway.

Mr_Brit said:

It took quite some time for CFW to arrive on the PSP scene. First there was homebrew, then a way to emulate newer firmwares, then downgraders, then CFW, then pandora. There has been a lot of news in just the short time that people have gotten their hands on PSGroove. I'm quite impress tbh. I don't know if the PS3 will ever be as successful as the PSP scene but I definitely can see within 6 months having a type of CFW or a way to bypass required updates.

LovingSteam said:
I'm quite impress tbh. I don't know if the PS3 will ever be as successful as the PSP scene but I definitely can see within 6 months having a type of CFW or a way to bypass required updates.

bypassing required updates ftw.

LovingSteam said:
I think that will have to happen within the next 6 weeks or else a lot of folks will give up homebrew for GT5.
I think anybody who wishes to be serious about using homebrew on PS3 and still play games will require a second PS3 regardless. CFWs will come out, but i highly doubt anybody will be able to keep up with the official updates, especially with all the PSN stuff. CFW will likely allow people to boot without the USB key and make it easier to access programs from different devices/connections. Personally, a CFW that could turn a retail unit into something similar to a debugging station that could access files on a PC would make my day/month/year/infinite.

I think the following will happen.

People will be able to download most games and demos that are released on PSN on the internet, like the piratebay and other torrent sites, and then transfer them from their own computer to their PS3´s, that is one way to avoid the required firmware updates.

N.A

Banned
EGM92 said:
any word on whether theres any hope for those that updated to 3.42?

You won't be using this exploit, it's permanantly fixed. Your only hope is that now the system is open another exploit can be found.

Mr_Brit

Banned
For those anticipating the return of otherOS what is the point? Since we will most likely get CFW soon enough shouldn't that be a lot more preferable to otherOS? Is there some other reason you guys want it back as I thought when we had it that it was too slow and would still be slow even if uncrippled due to the low amount of RAM.

N.A

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
For those anticipating the return of otherOS what is the point? Since we will most likely get CFW soon enough shouldn't that be a lot more preferable to otherOS? Is there some other reason you guys want it back as I thought when we had it that it was too slow and would still be slow even if uncrippled due to the low amount of RAM.

This isn't the return of otherOS, it is a linux bootloader with low level access. RSX support is almost certain.

You can run Ubuntu smoothly on a 7-8 year old computer with 512mb ram so it should eventually run great on PS3. And with lightweight distributions such as Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux you could easily get a very fast and stable OS running.

Also, XBMC has a dedicated linux distro now and once the hardware support is there we'll get an extremely good media player. (XBMC on the original Xbox ran with 64MB of RAM!)

These are just some of the reasons people are anticipating this.

N.A

Banned
BrainZEROX said:
One question I'd like to ask. RSX will be "visible" but how will it be supported? I don't think we ever had RSX drivers for linux and Nvidia seems to only provide x86/AMD64/x64 compatible binary files.

Open source drivers exist? How do they perform?

I'd imagine it would be possible to use a modified version of the linux open source drivers (Nouveau) which supports 3D acceleration. The RSX is pretty similar to the 7800 series so it should be compatible.

Top Bottom