• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your #1 Sport Athelete of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

videotape said:
Michael Jordan was my childhood hero, but that's been being spoiled by the more I read about him now, especially after that horrible Hall of Fame speech.

You mean the fucking awesome one where all he did was speak his mind and drop the truth? I wish more athletes had the balls to do it like MJ rather than the boring ass-kissing, sappy, paint-by-numbers acceptance speeches most athletes give. That speech was pure MJ, through and through. You understand just how fucking driven the guy was and still is.

Solo said:
You mean the fucking awesome one where all he did was speak his mind and drop the truth? I wish more athletes had the balls to do it like MJ rather than the boring ass-kissing, sappy, paint-by-numbers acceptance speeches most athletes give. That speech was pure MJ, through and through.
This. It showed once again why jordan was the greatest.

Shanadeus

Banned
michael-jackson.jpg

bionic77

:lol @ the Jordaphiles trying to convince themselves that Jordan's speech was anything other than a trainwreck.

This is the greatest athlete of all time?

JordanFaceSmall.jpg

For those Jordaphiles who don't actually watch basketball and only remember MJ from Space Jams and his Nike commercials, the man was wearing a full leather suit when he was invited to be a Judge at the All Star Dunk Contest.

bionic77 said:
:lol @ the Jordaphiles trying to convince themselves that Jordan's speech was anything other than a trainwreck.
lol at anyone who doesn't get that the speech captured the essence of the drive that lead the man to be the goat. I don't like him personally, I think he's a despicable human being actually, and who said the speech wasn't a trainwreck? That's the whole point - that it was, and it shows why jordan was such a dominator.

bionic77 said:

JordanFaceSmall.jpg

For those Jordaphiles who don't actually watch basketball and only remember MJ from Space Jams and his Nike commercials, the man was wearing a full leather suit when he was invited to be a Judge at the All Star Dunk Contest.

you sound mad.. the question is athlete not greatest personality

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
elrechazao said:
lol at anyone who doesn't get that the speech captured the essence of the drive that lead the man to be the goat. I don't like him personally, I think he's a despicable human being actually, and who said the speech wasn't a trainwreck? That's the whole point - that it was, and it shows why jordan was such a dominator.

What have you done?!?!

Now we have to hear about how Jordan killed Brian Williams and his father..

Solo

elrechazao said:

I love how he took holding a grudge to new levels. He pretty much never forgot anyone who talked shit about him or did wrong by him in his whole life, and used all that as motivation.

And holy fuck did he ever burn several people in that speech :lol :lol

bionic77 said:

JordanFaceSmall.jpg

that full leather suit was genius, much like his hall of fame roast, er, speech. ony person that speech went bad for was old Jerry Johnson, the kid who got on the bball team when MJ didn't. fuckin burn.

MJ to his chidren: you are not as good as me now and you never will be. sucks to be you. but i love ya anyway... losers.

bionic77

elrechazao said:
The OP was who is the world's greatest athlete, not world's biggest asshole. A competition I am sure we can all agree that Jordan would win hands down.

Blackace

bionic77 said:
The OP was who is the world's greatest athlete, not world's biggest asshole. A competition I am sure we can all agree that Jordan would win hands down.

Kobe would have to be considered

bionic77 said:
Some people can do two things exceptionally well.

Tarazet

beast786 said:
Criteria:

Personality
Record
Impact on the sport
Impact on society
Attitude
Physical accomplishment

Based on that criteria, Lance Armstrong.

Personality: Strong, dominant, never say die.

Record: Broke the "unbeatable" record of 5 Tours de France, reset the bar at 7 consecutively.

Impact on the sport: Brought a new level of professionalism into a very antiquated sport.

Impact on society: Introduced those stupid Nike rubber bands.

Attitude: Most thorough, meticulous and professional bike rider on the scene ever.

Physical accomplishment: Went from triathlete to world champion to cancer patient to the winningest Grand Tour rider since Eddy Merckx.

bionic77

Blackace said:
What have you done?!?!

Now we have to hear about how Jordan killed Brian Williams and his father..
Don't forget that he knew he could never beat Magic straight up so he had to give him AIDS.

Solo

Jordan also could casually drop 45 on the Jazz in the NBA Finals after being "severly ill", AKA after a night of heavy drinking and gambling. Like a boss.

bionic77

Solo said:
Jordan also could casually drop 45 on the Jazz in the NBA Finals after being "severly ill", AKA after a night of heavy drinking and gambling. Like a boss.
Yeah he could also get to the conference finals without Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson so he definitely is the greatest.

Oh wait, thats right. He never did shit without either one there to make him look good.

Blackace

Machado said:
Ken Griffey junior.

qoute me and say I'm right

Did you post this twice because you are lonely?

From my childhood no one made me love a sport like Jr. did, but without Jackie who knows if there would be Jr..

entremet

Tarazet said:
Based on that criteria, Lance Armstrong.

Personality: Strong, dominant, never say die.

Record: Broke the "unbeatable" record of 7 Tours de France.

Impact on the sport: Brought a new level of professionalism into a very antiquated sport.

Impact on society: Introduced those stupid Nike rubber bands.

Attitude: Most thorough, meticulous and professional bike rider on the scene ever.

Physical accomplishment: Went from triathlete to world champion to cancer patient to the winningest Grand Tour rider since Eddy Merckx.
But he rides a bike. /Charles Barkley

Solo

bionic77 said:
Yeah he could also get to the conference finals without Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson so he definitely is the greatest.

Oh wait, thats right. He never did shit without either one there to make him look good.

He never had to rape anyone either, for what its worth.

Blackace

bionic77 said:

Phil Jackson, Shaq, and Pau agree with this statement!

bionic77

Jordan bashing aside, I would probably have to go with either Ali or Pele because of their global impact. Not sure who wins between those two.

Boogie

Up until June 26, 2010, it would be:

Fedor-Emelianenko.jpg

Personally, it would be:
gsp_ufc_79.jpg

And, five years from now, will be that much more evident.

Alternatively and more objectively:
karelin39.jpg

Alexander Karelin. Olympic Greco-Roman wrestler. 3 time consecutive Olympics gold medallist in wrestling, from 1988-1996, and won silver in 2000. From 1989 to 1999, he won 9 world championships in Greco wrestling.

He was undefeated in international competition for 13 years.

Blackace

bionic77 said:
How naive of you. You think he got that AIDS in Magic by putting it in a donut?

Well considering how he looks like he is wearing a bullet proof vest these days...

Also I thought he got it from swapping fluids with Zeke

bionic77

Blackace said:
Well considering how he looks like he is wearing a bullet proof vest these days...

Also I thought he got it from swapping fluids with Zeke
I believe anyone who has ever read the NBA threads can see the clearcut proof that Jordan killed his father and gave Magic AIDS. Stop spreading these fake AIDS myths. Neither condoms or Isiah Thomas can give you AIDS.

jambo

Donald Bradman

Career Batting Average of 99.94

CricketBattingAverageHistogram.gif

In order to post a similarly dominant career statistic as Bradman, a baseball batter would need a career batting average of .392, while a basketball player would need to score an average of 43.0 points per game. The respective records are .366 and 30.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom