• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your #1 Sport Athelete of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingDizzi

Banned
Max said:
el5kaw.png

ROONEY!!!

Ah so nice to see Wayne out with his brother.

Anyway Sachin Tendulkar.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
charsace said:
This dude was tapping Star Jones so that's enough to disqualify him.

I don't know how people can support Jordan. Look at the things he did:

1) Assaulted teammates in the shower.

2) Gave magic HIV so that he could beat the lakers.

3) Kept Isiah off the dream team. (Which was a good thing and punishment for all the bullshit he would do after retirement).

4) Sent Kemp a cocaine gift basket after beating the sonics in the finals.

5) Caused Ewing's knee injuries.

6) Molested Kwame Brown.

7) Took all of Pippen's money.

8) Took all of Antoine Walker's money.

And so much more.

Best list ever! We need 2 more and we can have a Letterman style top 10

Oh wait you forget his father and Brian Williams

AAK

When it comes to dominance of a sport, Donald Bradman for Cricket, Jahengir Khan for Squash, and Lance Armstrong all win by far.

When it comes to straight up athleticism... way too hard to tell.

But when it comes to Charisma... Muhammad Ali wins no contest!

legend166 said:
Don Bradman was so good, the English had to invent a tactic that involved deliberately trying to hurt the batsman, which caused huge uproar.
And then they had to change the rules so that cricket could return to being a fair sport.

Lamel

Banned
legend166 said:
Seriously, in terms of statistics, no one dominated their sport more than Don Bradman. It's a fact.

His batting average is really nothing less than remarkable. Just wow. These days an average of 50 is considered fantastic, imagine the havoc this guy caused on the pitch.

Myzer

Don Bradman. Just so far above any one before or since.

Further evidence of his supreme athletic skills was revealed when Bradman missed the 1935–36 tour to South Africa due to illness. During his absence from cricket, Bradman took up squash to keep himself fit. He subsequently won the South Australian Open Squash Championship.

DanteFox

ssg-umt-16e.jpg

beast786 said:

Criteria:

Personality[/quote]
check. I've never seen anybody as interesting as tyson in any sport.
[quote]Record[/quote]
Dude became the youngest heavyweight champ ever. Had a rock solid reign in which he was virtually unstoppable. If you lasted more than a round in the ring with him that was an [I]accomplishment[/I]. Eventually the fame got to him and he lost some of his hunger and let up on his rigorous training. Lost to Buster Douglas (a guy who didn't even hold onto the belt for a year) and was never the same after that. And so began his downfall.
[quote]Impact on the sport[/quote]
Became a household name in the 80's and 90's. Average people would know who he was and would watch his fights. I think Ali has him beat in this regard but he's dang close.
[quote]Impact on society[/quote]
I don't think this is as important as the other categories lol. Aside from his international fame, I don't think he did much else in society other than box really, really, [I][B]really[/B][/I] well.
[quote]Attitude[/quote]
Had a lot of anger issues but when it came down to it, he had the hunger, drive, and mindset of a champ. Definitely an inspiration when it comes to mindset.
[quote]Physical accomplishment[/quote]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0[/url]

for what it's worth IMO Tyson in his prime would take out Ali in his prime.

Peace!

Colocho

Banned
ronaldo.jpg

I truly believe that if Ronaldo wouldn't have gotten injured so many times, he would've been the best football player of all time, I don't think I've ever seen such a talented player in my lifetime, even with his injuries he is one of the best strikers that ever played.

Dresden

Colocho said:
I truly believe that if Ronaldo wouldn't hae gotten injured so many times, he would've been the best football player of all time, I don't think I've ever seen such a talented player in my lifetime, even with his injuries he is one of the best strikers that ever played.
He was amazing. And now, he's fat.

I'd have to go with Jordan. No other athlete has had such global appeal.

antonz

DY_nasty said:
I don't get the Babe Ruth love.

Why? The man is baseball. The man is bigger than life in truth and myth for baseball. No one has ever reached that level since and there has been some really good guys like Aaron and Gherig.

Baseball will always be linked to Babe Ruth and the funniest part of it all is he was just as amazing a Pitcher as he was a hitter. We may nver have seen him become the Sultan of Swat if he had stayed a pitcher.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
antonz said:
Why? The man is baseball. The man is bigger than life in truth and myth for baseball. No one has ever reached that level since and there has been some really good guys like Aaron and Gherig.

Baseball will always be linked to Babe Ruth and the funniest part of it all is he was just as amazing a Pitcher as he was a hitter. We may nver have seen him become the Sultan of Swat if he had stayed a pitcher.
Maybe because I've never seen him play. Actually, thats probably it. Its the same reason I never really get crazy over Bill Russell or Unitas either. I have seen film of Hank Aaron though, and he was great. Bo Jackson is probably the greatest pure athlete I've ever seen... Babe Ruth to me is nothing more than your stereotypical chubby baseball player who just happened to swing the bat really good and pitch okay (that just so happens to have been a part of an infamous ball club and has $tats).

Big-E

ATF487 said:
For me, in my lifetime:

tombrady.jpeg

I am the biggest Brady worshiper on this forum and including him in this thread is ludicrous. Brady is not an athlete in any sense of the word. He is the best QB the world may ever see but he ain't an athlete. An athlete would at least have to outrun a group of obese children at fat camp to the buffet line.

EDIT: For me it is Bo Jackson. He had the physical ability and attributes for football coupled with the finesse and skill needed to play baseball. Total package.

antonz

DY_nasty said:
Maybe because I've never seen him play. Actually, thats probably it. Its the same reason I never really get crazy over Bill Russell or Unitas either. I have seen film of Hank Aaron though, and he was great. Bo Jackson is probably the greatest pure athlete I've ever seen... Babe Ruth to me is nothing more than your stereotypical chubby baseball player who just happened to swing the bat really good and pitch okay (that just so happens to have been a part of an infamous ball club and has $tats).

I can understand that its easier to relate to players you have seen than those in the past but in baseball Stats mean alot. They have done enough research on field dimension at the time and rules changes to come to the fact based on modern field dimensions and rules he would have hit over 100 home runs in a single season in 1921. In 1916 and 1917 he won over 23 games each as a pitcher with his ERA not exciding 2.04

jambo

Scullibundo said:
Tony Lockett, even though I want to say Robert Harvey.
Leigh Matthews and Wayne Carey also.

Matthews played over 200 games at Hawthorn and then went on to coach over 200 games at Collingwood and then over 200 games at Brisbane!

Leigh_matthews_statue.jpg

YagizY

Jordan

Ali

Kobe (even though I am not a Lakers fan)

Tom Brady (even though I am a Jets fan)

Lionel Messi

AND
Tim Tebow

Big-E said:
I am the biggest Brady worshiper on this forum and including him in this thread is ludicrous. Brady is not an athlete in any sense of the word. He is the best QB the world may ever see but he ain't an athlete. An athlete would at least have to outrun a group of obese children at fat camp to the buffet line.

EDIT: For me it is Bo Jackson. He had the physical ability and attributes for football coupled with the finesse and skill needed to play baseball. Total package.

qIZH8.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
:lol :lol :lol

Saved to be cherished forever
antonz said:
I can understand that its easier to relate to players you have seen than those in the past but in baseball Stats mean alot. They have done enough research on field dimension at the time and rules changes to come to the fact based on modern field dimensions and rules he would have hit over 100 home runs in a single season in 1921.
Thats the same as per36 numbers and advanced stats in basketball - and according to those, Amir Johnson should've been crowned as the greatest power forward of all time and allowed into the hall of fame in the same class as Scottie Pippen...

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Kim Jong-Il. Guy is so damn good he doesn't even need witnesses to prove it. He is the master of everything without practice on his very first attempt. A true sports legend!

In reality? My #1 is Bobby the golden jet!

etiolate

Banned
elrechazao said:
lol at anyone who doesn't get that the speech captured the essence of the drive that lead the man to be the goat. I don't like him personally, I think he's a despicable human being actually, and who said the speech wasn't a trainwreck? That's the whole point - that it was, and it shows why jordan was such a dominator.

I'll show you why Jordan was a dominator.

large_062609d%20delany%20and%20jordan.jpg

0b05612151_ref04242008.jpg

david-stern-after.jpg

Maybe if he didn't need a free pass and an extra advantage he could be considered for the greatest sport athlete, but as it is, he's just black mickey mouse for a shrewd businessman.

He had no personality, his whole character was established through commercials and press. We find out now that he's a douche and people retroactively attribute it to "his drive." Jerry Rice was one of the most driven athletes out there, redefined his position and captured any record he was eligible for, and he is nowhere near the cockmongler MJ is now known as. Jordan can't even put on a proper pair of pants without his handlers.
His records are tainted by just how blatantly bias the officiating was in order to help him along.
His impact is huge, but mostly negative. The current league is drowning in the prima donnas he gave birth to, trying to survive a bad economy through ego sideshows and referee scandals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom