• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your #1 Sport Athelete of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the-shot.jpg

last_shot.jpg

jordanrings00nike-1.jpg

MojoRisin

D'ultimate said:
Barry Sanders!
Yep.

Watch this guys 'SportsCentury' and you'll see only half of how great this guy was off the field, his on the field accomplishments not need even be mentioned.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cloudy said:
Los_Angeles_Lakers_3c35.JPG

- Best combination of skill and athleticism the sport has ever seen (MJ has nothing on his range and handles)
- Routinely makes shots that nobody else even THINKS about taking :lol
- My favorite move in sports is the turnaround fadeaway
- Doesn't talk too much but backs it up when he does
- His longevity and consistency is pretty impressive for a basketball player (15th season and still a top player)
- Doesn't back down from anyone and plays both ends of the floor

Sorry, you lose

Subitai

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Jim Thorpe

Played football, baseball, basketball, and competed in the olympics.
You understate his accomplishments. He competed at an unheard of elite level. We can only imagine what he would be with today's modern training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe
Thorpe gained nationwide attention for the first time in 1911.[12] As a running back, defensive back, placekicker, and punter for his school's football team, Thorpe scored all of his team's points—four field goals and a touchdown—in an 18–15 upset of Harvard.[11] His team finished the season 11–1. The next year, Carlisle won the national collegiate championship largely as a result of his efforts - he scored 25 touchdowns and 198 points.[8]

Carlisle's 1912 record included a 27–6 victory over Army.[3] In that game, Thorpe's 92-yard touchdown was nullified by a teammate's penalty; the next play, Thorpe scored a 97-yard touchdown.[13] Future President Dwight Eisenhower injured his knee in that game trying to tackle Thorpe. Eisenhower recalled of Thorpe in a 1961 speech, "Here and there, there are some people who are supremely endowed. My memory goes back to Jim Thorpe. He never practiced in his life, and he could do anything better than any other football player I ever saw."[8] Thorpe was awarded All-American honors in both 1911 and 1912.[3]

His schedule in the Olympics was busy. Along with the decathlon and pentathlon, he competed in the long-jump and high-jump. The first competition was the pentathlon; Thorpe won four of the five events and placed third in the javelin, an event in which he had not competed before 1912. Although the pentathlon was primarily decided on place points, points were also earned for the marks achieved in the individual events. He won the gold medal. The same day, Thorpe qualified for the high-jump final. He placed fourth and also took seventh place in the long jump.

Thorpe's final event was the decathlon, his first—and as it turned out, only—Olympic decathlon. Strong competition from local favorite Hugo Wieslander was expected. Thorpe, however, easily defeated Wieslander by more than 700 points. He placed in the top four of all ten events. Thorpe's Olympic record of 8,413 points would stand for nearly two decades.[9] Overall, Thorpe won eight of the 15 individual events of the pentathlon and decathlon.

Thorpe had signed with the Canton Bulldogs They paid him $250 ($5,359 in current dollar terms) a game, a tremendous wage at the time.[31] Before Thorpe's signing, Canton was averaging 1,200 fans a game; 8,000 showed up for his debut against Massillon.[31] The team won titles in 1916, 1917, and 1919. Thorpe reportedly ended the 1919 championship game by kicking a wind-assisted 95-yard punt from his team's own 5-yard line, effectively putting the game out of reach.[31] In 1920, the Bulldogs were one of 14 teams to form the American Professional Football Association (APFA), which would become the National Football League (NFL) two years later. Thorpe was nominally the APFA's first president; however, he spent most of the year playing for Canton and a year later was replaced by Joseph Carr.[32] He continued to play for Canton, coaching the team as well. Between 1921 and 1923, Thorpe played for the LaRue, Ohio, (Marion County, Ohio) Oorang Indians, an all-Native American team. Although the team record was 3–6 in 1922,[33] and 1–10 in 1923,[34] Thorpe played well and was selected for the Green Bay Press-Gazette's first All-NFL team in 1923 (the Press-Gazette's team would later be formalized by the NFL as the league's official All-NFL team in 1931)

Babe Ruth changed baseball.

Muhammad Ali put boxing on the map, and made it into an international sport.

To me, these 2 guys are it.

I'd probably have to go with Ali here though.

Fio

Pelé.

He completely dominated his sport. Won everything. Pretty much all significant football records are his. And he did that being a football player, which is a very complex sport that requires a wide range of skills from its practitioners, unlike many other sports.

Fio said:
Pelé.

He completely dominated his sport. Won everything. Pretty much all significant football records are his. And he did that being a football player, which is a very complex sport that requires a wide range of skills from its practitioners, unlike many other sports.

That isnt for this thread and is just an ignorant thing to say.

MJ was unstopable.

legend166

Don Bradman was so good, the English had to invent a tactic that involved deliberately trying to hurt the batsman, which caused huge uproar.

Mike Tyson in his prime was probably my favorite athlete, along with Griffey Jr., Kobe and Magic.

Bo Jackson is probably the greatest athlete I ever saw though.

LQX

I know many are trying there best not to say Micheal Jordan but yeah I'm going to say MJ because I practicality worshiped him back the day. Mike Tyson is a close second.

ATF487

Red Blaster said:
Tom Brady :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol
:D

He's obviously not the best athlete of all time, but he made one of my hometown franchises relevant for the first time ever. He's my favorite
American
athlete because he was a big reason why we have 3 super bowls to our name.

Also I'd rather post an athlete that I got to see first hand

Boogie

Forceatowulf said:
Competitive martial arts isn't a type of sport to you?

Oh, do tell, what are Bruce Lee's credentials in competitive sports? Martial arts or otherwise? Other than a mere handful of recorded private matches?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Boogie said:
Oh, do tell, what are Bruce Lee's credentials in competitive sports? Martial arts or otherwise?
Last I checked the display of skill in martial arts was still a sport, and Bruce Lee was the best of all time at it.

charsace

The M.O.B said:
This dude was tapping Star Jones so that's enough to disqualify him.

I don't know how people can support Jordan. Look at the things he did:

1) Assaulted teammates in the shower.

2) Gave magic HIV so that he could beat the lakers.

3) Kept Isiah off the dream team. (Which was a good thing and punishment for all the bullshit he would do after retirement).

4) Sent Kemp a cocaine gift basket after beating the sonics in the finals.

5) Caused Ewing's knee injuries.

6) Molested Kwame Brown.

7) Took all of Pippen's money.

8) Took all of Antoine Walker's money.

And so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom