• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 - Gameplay Trailer

SZgDxFR.gif

lighting is atmospheric af

Mechazawa

More and more with these trailers it's really starting to sink in just how dumb replacing "Psychobreak" with "Evil Within" was.

KDC720

Gameplay looks a lot more smoother and fluid than the first game, which was admittedly rough around the edges at points.

Looks like Sebastian has a new voice actor, which honestly might be better because Anson Mount sounded bored as hell in the first game (although I'm unsure if this was him or the voice direction in general). I'm also curious as to whose brain we'll be diving into this time, it can't be Ruvik again can it? Unless (first game spoilers)
it's just Leslie's brain possessed by Ruvik

Pleased it's coming so soon as well. This and Wolfenstein in the same month is going to be killer.

More and more with these trailers it's really starting to sink in just how dumb replacing "Psychobreak" with "Evil Within" was.

It's the other way around. The Evil Within is the game's proper title. It was changed for Japan because "The Evil Within" is too hard to say in Japanese.

stupei

Really, really hopeful. I loved the first game, even with the sketchy performance issues.

Watching this kind of makes me want to do a replay sometime soon, though I suppose I should get it in way before October so I don't burn out.

the game is semi-open world, so I imagine much of the world design will be consistent

And I'm out again. What the fuck is wrong with developers? Get the fuck out with your open world crap. Just like GOW. I can't stand this anymore. It's enough. This damn industry, holy shit I'm angry now.

edit: Or do you mean semi -open world just like the old RE games?

And I'm out again. What the fuck is wrong with developers? Get the fuck out with your open world crap. Just like GOW. I can't stand this anymore. It's enough. This damn industry, holy shit I'm angry now.

It's not open world. Relax.

From the way Bethesda describes it, it sounds like the levels are just bigger. There are some sidequests, but they actually take the role of being side content instead of the meat of the game like true open worlds.

Why don't you wait until you see how is implemented?

I doubt this is "ubisoft open world" game design style.

I won't spoil it but combat in the first one didn't really come to fruition until the end of chapter 3. It's fucking fun as hell and people who quit too soon really didn't get to experience it in it's fullest. This looks incredible so far and I can't wait!!!

NEO0MJ

Looks awesome. Even more crazy than the first, and this time they're not restricted by previous gen versions at all.

I won't spoil it but combat in the first one didn't really come to fruition until the end of chapter 3. It's fucking fun as hell and people who quit too soon really didn't get to experience it in it's fullest. This looks incredible so far and I can't wait!!!

Yeah, game had problems at the start (and other chapters too). Hope it's better balanced this time.

Mechazawa

It's the other way around. The Evil Within is the game's proper title. It was changed for Japan because "The Evil Within" is too hard to say in Japanese.

Really? I guess I should've expected as much from a Mikami game.

I wonder if that means that the English localizations are the intended vision.

I need it. I need it now. I haven't looked at much information on it besides the trailers but I hope Akumu mode is in this in some way. I need to scratch my masochistic itch.

It's not open world. Relax.

From the way Bethesda describes it, it sounds like the levels are just bigger. There are some sidequests, but they actually take the role of being side content instead of the meat of the game like true open worlds.

eh....side quests....

Why don't you wait until you see how is implemented?

I doubt this is "ubisoft open world" game design style.

Because I want my linear adventure games. And I hate it when they change the formula instead of fixing the mistakes of the first game. You liked the first game and were disappointed by the flaws....well then fuck you, here's a new concept for the next game. Less linear and side quests because...everyone loves side quests, right?

Okay, I wait and see. But damn I hate this industry nowadays.

Really? I guess I should've expected as much from a Mikami game.

I wonder if that means that the English localizations are the intended vision.

They are. The rest are dubs. It's kind of goofy watching TEW in Japanese because Sebastian's seiyuu in particular doesn't sound like Anson Mount, but it's a dub so they kept all of Anson Mount's effort/pain noises in and just dubbed over the dialogue with the seiyuu.

eh....side quests.....

I feel the same way. I hate side quests. But with this game, I feel like they're all going to be story-heavy and relevant, so I'm not particularly worried. I doubt they'll be annoying fetch quests or something like that.

Aggelos

if RE3.5 lives, then the director of TEW2 is Hiroshi Shibata?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_aBvWWFERE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q90jSQx0PPI

Shibata was part of the Resident Evil 3: Nemesis development team, where he lead the unit responsible for creating pre-rendered backgrounds. In 2002, Shibata was made the Director of Resident Evil 4 over its "Castle" and "Hallucination" development periods. Eventually, he was replaced by Shinji Mikami as director, but is still credited as a "designer".

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Hiroshi_Shibata

The Lamp

Think I might need to give the first another chance. Only played about an hour because the combat felt like a poor RE4 imitator. But if the first game as a whole is as surreal and intense as this looks, I probably need to play it

The gameplay changes drastically throughout the game. The first couple of chapters are nothing. Sometimes it's stealth, sometimes it's fear/running away, sometimes its balls-out RE-style combat and shot guns and explosives.

The gameplay changes drastically throughout the game. The first couple of chapters are nothing. Sometimes it's stealth, sometimes it's fear/running away, sometimes its balls-out RE-style combat and shot guns and explosives.

This was the biggest problem with TEW for me tbh

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

I don't mean to jump on you but the developers do and should have more of a say in how they want their game to evolve than you do. It's probably best to take a "wait and see" approach rather than jumping to malformed conclusions. I for one wouldn't mind sandboxy levels returning like the village in Chpt.3 from TEW.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Baby-Laughing-Hard-and-Falls-Over.gif

I don't get it.

I don't mean to jump on you but the developers do and should have more of a say in how they want their game to evolve than you do. It's probably best to take a "wait and see" approach rather than jumping to malformed conclusions. I for one wouldn't mind sandboxy levels returning like the village in Chpt.3 from TEW.

That's not a sandbox, it's still linear level and gameplay design

Fury451

Banned
TEW definitely had its Lynchian moments. Maybe not a Lynchian cast the way that SH did, but inspiration from Lynch's late 80s/early 90s movies is undeniable.

If "vague surreal mindfuck" qualifies, then yes I suppose. I don't see as strong of an influence from David Lynch type films as I would from other things. I mean surface level, but it definitely had more in common with the splatter film that just throws bizarre shit at the wall than some sort of brooding surrealism.

The only Silent Hill/strongest Lynchian vibes were some parts of he beginning and the asylum nurse bits I thought. Maybe the part with the brain experiments in the mansion to some degree. The Evil Dead/Saw vibes comparison is pretty on point moreso.

If "vague surreal mindfuck" qualifies, then yes I suppose. I don't see as strong of an influence from David Lynch type films as I would from other things. I mean surface level, but it definitely had more in common with the splatter film that just throws bizarre shit at the wall than some sort of brooding surrealism.

The only Silent Hill/strongest Lynchian vibes were some parts of he beginning and the asylum nurse bits I thought. Maybe the part with the brain experiments in the mansion to some degree. The Evil Dead/Saw vibes comparison is pretty on point moreso.

TEW pulls heavily from Lost Highway in particular in terms of weird premonitions, time loops, and body swapping. The Administrator felt like he was fashioned together from several characters in Mulholland Drive. The whole classical music motif was also very Lynchian.

hughesta

Banned

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear! Instead a central hub area like that asylum wing in the first game, now there's a small town to explore. There are various areas you enter while in this town that transition into standard linear stages like in the first game

-MD-

These knee-jerk reactions.

It's obviously not going to be open world, you aren't going to be running from one end of the city to the other. Think more of chapter 3, possibly expanded on. It says there's a mix of linear and more open environments, tons of those were in the art book for the original but didn't make it into the game.

Chill, it'll be fine.

Fury451

Banned
TEW pulls heavily from Lost Highway in particular in terms of weird premonitions, time loops, and body swapping. The Administrator felt like he was fashioned together from several characters in Mulholland Drive. The whole classical music motif was also very Lynchian.

Hm. Well you just may have inspired me to revisit it for the second time this year. The music I'll say off hand I do recall, but I don't remember it's use in Lynch films too much. I'll have to pay closer attention to the Lost Highway ideas, but the themes are also fairly generic sci-fi as well, depending on how you want to interpret what the hell is going on in the plot. That's the part that reminds me of RE the most- trippy and weird violence, but essentially a schlocky sci-fi b-movie horror concept, not that it's bad.

I'm not sure what you mean by the old RE games being semi-open world, unless you mean lots of backtracking. I'm sure this will be more non-linear, not open world; maybe hub-areas that are more like a Souls game for a recent reference. Non-linear game design can be really good for stuff like this.

Javier23

Banned
I really don't see it. I can't even remember any instances of Lynch relying on known classical music.

EDIT: Well, except early on in The Elephant Man.

Top Bottom