• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ted Nugent and Bill Maher Come Together on ‘No Violence’ in Political Debates Pledge

Bill Maher has a long history of fuckery, why do people ignore it?

Because people look at him and see themselves. They can internalize their idols to the point where it becomes uncomfortable admitting a fault with them because it's like admitting a fault with themselves.

City slicker street slang???? I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

Unfortunately we passed the point of divisive rhetoric in March of 2009. Do these people realize that 2009 to January 19, 2017 happened? Most of us have notes with enough volume to fill an encyclopedia of divisive incendiary rhetoric coming from the right.

Go look at who started all the violence last year at Trump rallies. It isn't the progressive liberal democratic supporters that resorted to violence at these events. These were people emboldened by conservative propaganda and hate rhetoric on conservative media outlets and echo chambers.

Revisionist history says that Republicans have been the most squeaky clean people out there, and it's only been since Trump that we've dealt with aggressive political rhetoric, and only from the left.

I reject calls for unity and peace from people who sit on their hands and make light of the oppression of minority groups in this country just because they're too thin skinned to eat a hot plate of what they constantly dish out. Who use divisive, violent rhetoric when it suits them. Where were the fucking calls for unity when a presidential candidate was on stage yelling about baby parts? How about when a shooter murdered people in Planned Parenthood because of that very same rhetoric?

One of them gets shot and the world has to stand still! I bet the ghost of Tamir Rice wishes he'd been treated with 1% of that kind of compassion and understanding by republicans.

Fuck them, and double fuck Bill Maher too. The hypocrisy in this thread by the usual suspects makes me sick.

One of them gets shot and the world has to stand still! I bet the ghost of Tamir Rice wishes he'd been treated with 1% of that kind of compassion and understanding by republicans.

Fuck them, and double fuck Bill Maher too. The hypocrisy in this thread by the usual suspects makes me sick.

It's sad that racism, sexism, bigotry and etc., mean very little to a lot of people. They rather see oppressors get an uninterrupted voice.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Bill doesn't have many friends on the left right now. From either the pure social justice advocates or the progressives. Who exactly does he think he is courting with this kind of thing?

I mean being a racist enabler AND a neoliberal enabler is like the worst combination there is, can you even call yourself a leftist at that point? Especially if you only have like a handful of maybe leftist policy positions?

Just being an athiest doesn't mean your a leftist either

L Thammy

Kind of a tangential question: what is a racist?

The sense I get from these threads is that a lot of people think that that racists are like dragons. Some kind of subterranean foul-souled monsters who prey on humans. A rare creature that no one has ever seen, but so evil that we all live in fear of it and dare not speak its name.

Like, it seems that the standard that people have for what a racist is is so strict as to be impossible to reach. You can have racist beliefs and do racist things regularly, people will acknowledge that, and yet those same people will still rush to your defense if anyone implies anything that you are anything even close to a racist. It isn't even about behaviour or beliefs. It's got to be something down to your soul, the very quintessence of your being.

He personally donated $1 million to Obama's campaign. Frankly I find that action a lot more important than being all talk.

I'm not ever going to defend him when he gets criticized for fucking up, he deserves that. But I think he can also handle it, and apologize, and I don't mind watching a show run by an imperfect host. I don't need to agree with how he handles everything. I hated Jon Stewart for shitting on Occupy Wall Street all day and that sanctimonious "both sides" bullshit Rally To Restore Sanity, but I continued watching him anyway.

Get Out

The liberals in Get Out voted for Obama too. They were still racist bigoted PoS. I know it is a movie but there are plenty of people like this in real life.

Furyous

Revisionist history says that Republicans have been the most squeaky clean people out there, and it's only been since Trump that we've dealt with aggressive political rhetoric, and only from the left.

I reject calls for unity and peace from people who sit on their hands and make light of the oppression of minority groups in this country just because they're too thin skinned to eat a hot plate of what they constantly dish out. Who use divisive, violent rhetoric when it suits them. Where were the fucking calls for unity when a presidential candidate was on stage yelling about baby parts? How about when a shooter murdered people in Planned Parenthood because of that very same rhetoric?

They need to reconcile their new stance with this:

Republican Attack Ad Links Ossoff To Baseball Shooter

They need to reconcile their new stance with this:

Republican Attack Ad Links Ossoff To Baseball Shooter

Oh this is just glorious.

C'mon, apologists. Where are you? Tell me another tale of tribalism and divisiveness from the left.

I'd say I'd wait to hear every Republican in the House and Senate and the President condemn this message since we're talking about "unity" and all right now, but I'm not going to say that, because I'm not a fucking idiot. This isn't even the lowest they'll go.

But it's really really important to have Ted Nugent on TV, guys. Something something free speech.

Oh this is just glorious.

C'mon, apologists. Where are you? Tell me another tale of tribalism and divisiveness from the left.

I'd say I'd wait to hear every Republican in the House and Senate and the President condemn this message since we're talking about "unity" and all right now, but I'm not going to say that, because I'm not a fucking idiot. This isn't even the lowest they'll go.

But it's really really important to have Ted Nugent on TV, guys. Something something free speech.

I wonder how many of the people who are defending Ted Nugent in this thread also attacked Colin Kaepernick in previous threads......

Inuhanyou

When your spectrum of thought links a fucking neoliberal like ossof to a shooting from a guy who supported Bernie Sanders, that kind of just shows how off the rails the rightwing school of thought has gone doesn't it?

I mean a lot of riding on the guy because his opponent is someone who literally said she doesn't support requiring jobs to give a wage that a person can live on, but he's not a left winger in the least.

If we don't push back on this, soon the political spectrum will be that anyone who isn't a militant hiding out in the montana wilderness somewhere waiting for the government to come and put them in FEMA camps is a radical leftist.

We need to push back on this in all forms of society. I was particularly disappointed in how the more prominent media figures on the 'left' didn't come to Colin Kapernick's rescue when that witch hunt was going on when he made those comments, but even many neolibs were getting up his ass on that one

When your spectrum of thought links a fucking neoliberal like ossof to a shooting from a guy who supported Bernie Sanders, that kind of just shows how off the rails the rightwing school of thought has gone doesn't it?

I mean a lot of riding on the guy because his opponent is someone who literally said she doesn't support requiring jobs to give a wage that a person can live on, but he's not a left winger in the least.

If we don't push back on this, soon the political spectrum will be that anyone who isn't a militant hiding out in the montana wilderness somewhere waiting for the government to come and put them in FEMA camps is a radical leftist.

We need to push back on this in all forms of society. I was particularly disappointed in how the more prominent media figures on the 'left' didn't come to Colin Kapernick's rescue when that witch hunt was going on when he made those comments, but even many neolibs were getting up his ass on that one

This will be the new normal.

The right is very good at appropriating oppression and attributing their own weaknesses to their enemies. It's how they can be both victims and bullies at the same time. We're watching it happen in this thread, and Bill Maher is speeding it along in *ahem* Real Time.

Of course, that's not to mention "moderate" trash who continues to hinge their entire state of being on "HOW COME YOU DON'T JUST WANT TO HAVE A CONVERSATION!?!?!1111", giving more voice to the worst elements out there in the name of 'free speech". Nothing else matters.

It's a shitshow that I don't think we're going to recover from, to be honest.

The American Right has gone completely off the deep end and will now use anything to give themselves any kind of leg up. Their President being a hot mess that can't go 5 minutes without a scandal accelerates this desperation.

Like I said. Tribalism. With us or against us, etc.

I'm pretty sure he didn't say that and the context was at least slightly different than a blanket "Hey, I'm really glad Coulter and Conway and Milo have a career because of me!"

This is my point with it being impossible to have an honest conversation about him. It's a "bitch eating crackers" thing with every single statement he's ever made combined with changing or removing context to fit the "Maher isn't a real liberal" narrative.

Maher also admitted to me that he feels "a little pride anytime someone whose career we started—Arianna Huffington, Kellyanne, Ann Coulter—makes good."

But when I asked him whether he regrets launching the careers of the people who launched Trump into the presidency, he rolled his eyes. "They didn't create Trump! Ann Coulter didn't create Trump. She was the first one to predict him accurately, and is a Trump backer and a backer of everyone who is wrong. And she's wrong on every issue. And her books are horrible venom. But that's the system we live in. Should we stop people from talking who we don't agree with?"

And before you say the last line is reasonable.... not launching careers of bigots and, not giving them repeated access to platforms, is not in fact the same as stopping people we don't agree with from talking.

When Yiannopoulos appeared on Real Time, in February, he was still a contributor to Breitbart News and a star of the alt-right. "Having Milo on was a no-brainer," Maher told me. "Once I watched clips of him, I realized that a lot of what the Left is upset about are jokes." On a segment posted on Real Time's YouTube channel, Maher shrugged when Yiannopoulos argued, without evidence, that transgender people are responsible for a disproportionate number of sex crimes.

Just jokes

As Yiannopoulos told me, however, his disgrace "had nothing to do with Bill whatsoever." Instead, it followed the revelation that he had once endorsed sexual relationships between adult men and teenage boys, a scandal he blamed on Old World globalist conservatives out to sabotage his career. Appearing on Real Time, Yiannopoulos said, was "a significant victory," and in retrospect it looks a lot like his high-water mark.

Now Maher says that he'd like to help rescue Yiannopoulos from his tumble out of the spotlight. "I actually want to have him back," Maher told me. "I don't think he would be that hard to bring around to a much more reasonable position." (Yiannopoulos says another appearance is in the works.)

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a55479/bill-maher-profile/

By all means explain to me how this is bitch eating crackers of me

Do you see how inferring that you and Maher are better people for spending money and time in ways that you don't know whether I do or not looks in a thread about white liberal messiah Bill Maher having known racist and pedophile Ted Nugent on his show to rap about how dangerous the left is
I'm not inferring Maher is better than anyone; I've already said he wasn't smart, funny, or likeable, and I enjoy when guests school him on his own show. I'm not saying "this is a great guy," I'm stating a pretty obvious fact as an answer to what you thought was an easy win kind of rhetorical question: "What has Maher ever done?" Things. He has done things. Donating is important as fuck. Having liberals on your show debate the other side on live TV is important too, so long as people are having an intelligent discussion, which they frequently do.

Okay. Let me put across how you're coming across to us. "You can't buy your way into progressivism, but you can spend money for progressive causes which is more important than those dang worthless keyboard warriors!"

If you don't understand, please at least try to.
That is exactly what I am saying, so I'm glad I'm coming across that way. Typing things on GAF < donating money and volunteering. Well, it's not exactly what I'm saying because I myself am a leftist GAF poster and never use terms like "keyboard warriors," and I would never call raising awareness through the internet "worthless."

But I would say raging online is not going to produce the electoral results we seek and thus it isn't as important as donations and volunteering. If our candidates had had more money, our Senate might have turned out just a little different in 2010, we might have confirmed Merrick Garland, gerrymandering might be about to end, resulting in a blue wave that would reform Congress for generations. That matters for so many issues and impacts so many lives. When I see people thinking their job is done because they frequently join in on progressive hashtags, it's pretty sickening. I've asked friends of mine who do this "who did you vote for? Donate to?" and the answer is shockingly often "no one." So it's a pet peeve issue for me.

He also said Obama was not black cause black people are thugs.

Bill Maher has a long history of fuckery, why do people ignore it?
Well in my case I had no idea he said that. Jesus, what the fuck kind of comment is that to make?

hokahey

Once again, people say the right thing and GAF says "nope fuck you because you once said the wrong thing."

You'd rather they keep up the violence inducing rhetoric?

I applaud it. And I hope both sides can find a way to continue to mature.

This is a positive development. Don't rail against it because these people have also said things you don't like. Grow up.

Inuhanyou

This will be the new normal.

The right is very good at appropriating oppression and attributing their own weaknesses to their enemies. It's how they can be both victims and bullies at the same time. We're watching it happen in this thread, and Bill Maher is speeding it along in *ahem* Real Time.

Of course, that's not to mention "moderate" trash who continues to hinge their entire state of being on "HOW COME YOU DON'T JUST WANT TO HAVE A CONVERSATION!?!?!1111", giving more voice to the worst elements out there in the name of 'free speech". Nothing else matters.

It's a shitshow that I don't think we're going to recover from, to be honest.

I think it gives the right wing power when people cause a ruckus over not allowing people to speak(which is where the derogatory "SJW" stereotypes of the alt right come from...but the problem is that what those right wingers speak is straight trash, and Bill Maher and his ilk actually legitimize what they do say.

Anyone can say anything, and they have the right to, but the consequence, or condemnation must be swift and without equivocation.

The American Right has gone completely off the deep end and will now use anything to give themselves any kind of leg up. Their President being a hot mess that can't go 5 minutes without a scandal accelerates this desperation.

That's one element of the problem, but the second part of the problem is that the 'centrist', in the neoliberal sphere(both economically and socially) have, either unconsciously or intentionally, allowed the terms of the debate to shift further and further in maintream circles, to the point where all we can do is beg our democratic politicians to argue for the status quo in regards to not being a racist, or not attempting to kill millions of people through overtly draconian budget proposals, forget arguing for systemic change.

We don't have a mainstream 'left' in this country to actually frame our social and economic debates in ways that expose the farce we are currently dealing with, and we really sincerely need one.

The closest we came was something like Jimmy kimmel speaking on his show about healthcare, and look how that turned out

Once again, people say the right thing and GAF says "nope fuck you because you once said the wrong thing."

This is a positive development. Don't rail against it because these people have also said things you don't like. Grow up.

It's a nothing development. He's not changing he just wants to shit on liberals.

Also things you don't like is such a whitewashing of his intense bigotry and hatred

L Thammy

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ted_Nugent

Apartheid isn't that cut and dry. All men are not created equal. The preponderance of South Africa is a different breed of man ... They still put bones in their noses, they still walk around naked, they wipe their butts with their hands ...These are different people. You give 'em toothpaste, they fucking eat it.

Pat Buchanan...was fired by MSNBC for doing nothing more than voicing his rock-solid conservative thoughts on the otherwise failing network....The real message of the left is intolerance, zealotry, bigotry and hate. The left has no use for the First Amendment or the rest of the Constitution unless it fits their multicultural, euro-socialist agenda, which is failing all across Europe and everywhere it is practiced.

If it was up to me, if you uttered the word 'gun control,' we'd put you in jail.

And let's all be honest here; more of us believe in the American hero Sheriff Joe Arpaio's thorough investigation into your phony birth certificate and phony history than the phony media's smoke and mirrors.

I'll show you some security and I'll show you some peace: Nagasaki and Hiroshima. You fuck with us and we'll fucking melt you.

Though I'm no expert on all things Pantera, I did hear their version of 'Cat Scratch Fever' and it was exceedingly white. No soul, no balls, no feel. Caucasian all the way. Elements of dope, booze and heroin disconnect quite apparent as usual. There is no excuse for such horrifically negative, irresponsible, criminal, America-wrecking behavior as such chimp-like substance abuse. Period. They appeared as Ozzy-like zombies on TV. Ya think. American drunks and dopers are allahpuke terrorists' favorite allies. Damn them. Damn them all.

I have obviously failed to galvanize and prod, if not shame enough Americans to be ever vigilant not to let a Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel like the ACORN community organizer gangster Barack Hussein Obama to weasel his way into the top office of authority in the United States of America.

You probably can't use the term `toxic cunt' in your magazine, but that's what [Hilary Clinton] is. Her very existence insults the spirit of individualism in this country. This bitch is nothing but a two-bit whore for Fidel Castro.

Obama, he's a piece of shit, and I told him to suck on my machine gun. Let's hear it for him. And then I was in New York. I said, "Hey, Hillary, you might want to ride one of these into the sunset, you worthless bitch. Since I'm in California, how about Barbara Boxer, she might want to suck on my machine gun. And Dianne Feinstein, ride one of these you worthless whore. Any questions?

I got to tell you, guys that have sex with each other's anal cavities -- how can we offend guys that actually have anal sex? Don't you think that might offend some of us who think that's despicable?

once

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

i dont care what they do because right now things are to a point where all roads lead to the same place. The time to pump the brakes when heading towards a cliff is when you are at the top of the hill, not when the fucking guardrail is over your hood.

i dont applaud shit. Theres nothing that he has said to make me believe he is genuine. If he is then ill re-evaluate my stance on him after the next couple decades of him fighting for peace.

Ted Nugent is the definition of a chickenshit lame cunt who'd shirk at any real threat in the room, frankly him and Maher are perfect company.

Ted Nugent is the definition of a chickenshit lame cunt who'd shirk at any real threat in the room, frankly him and Maher are perfect company.

I agree.

The more I learn of Maher, the more I find he has more in common with right wing gutter trash than he does with me.

Whoops. I better reign it in. Wouldn't want to be accused of tribalism.

Maxim726X

I agree.

The more I learn of Maher, the more I find he has more in common with right wing gutter trash than he does with me.

Whoops. I better reign it in. Wouldn't want to be accused of tribalism.

Because that's fucking wrong.

You don't have to reign anything in. Just know that you look like an irrational, hysterical child who is unable to separate hyperbole from reality. So, basically most people on the left these days. You fit right in.

Look- I'm not even sure I necessarily agree with Maher's idea of reaching out to this cum stain of a human being, but to assert that he has more in common with 'right wing gutter trash' than liberals is just fucking false. Sorry, you're wrong.

You don't have to reign anything in. Just know that you look like an irrational, hysterical child who is unable to separate hyperbole from reality. So, basically most people on the left these days. You fit right in.

Look- I'm not even sure I necessarily agree with Maher's idea of reaching out to this cum stain of a human being, but to assert that he has more in common with 'right wing gutter trash' than liberals is just fucking false. Sorry, you're wrong.

What do you think this post looks like?

Nobody will do anything to you for enjoying the show, relax

I think it gives the right wing power when people cause a ruckus over not allowing people to speak(which is where the derogatory "SJW" stereotypes of the alt right come from...but the problem is that what those right wingers speak is straight trash, and Bill Maher and his ilk actually legitimize what they do say.

Anyone can say anything, and they have the right to, but the consequence, or condemnation must be swift and without equivocation.

That's one element of the problem, but the second part of the problem is that the 'centrist', in the neoliberal sphere(both economically and socially) have, either unconsciously or intentionally, allowed the terms of the debate to shift further and further in maintream circles, to the point where all we can do is beg our democratic politicians to argue for the status quo in regards to not being a racist, or not attempting to kill millions of people through overtly draconian budget proposals, forget arguing for systemic change.

We don't have a mainstream 'left' in this country to actually frame our social and economic debates in ways that expose the farce we are currently dealing with, and we really sincerely need one.

The closest we came was something like Jimmy kimmel speaking on his show about healthcare, and look how that turned out

Yeah, when people continue to refuse to hold the right to task while whipping the left for any level of outspokenness, this is to be expected.

Maxim726X

What do you think this post looks like?

Nobody will do anything to you for enjoying the show, relax

It looks a lot more rational than 'Bill Maher is a secret Republican' or 'He has more in common with the right than me!' which is hysterical bullshit.

It's just wrong. Fake news, if you would.

PS- I stopped watching the show years ago.

Lol.

Last thing I need is a self serving moderate talking down to me on a fake, lame liberal, someone who's more concerned with lifting up oppressors than he is with actual progress.

Maher's quotes in this thread should be more than enough to convince rational people that he could ultimately give two fucks about legitimate progressive progress, but I have to remember we're in a thread where people are defending the legion of shitters he keeps on because reasons.

Your post is a prime example. It's much easier to try to cut me down than it is to say that Maher is worthy of critique due to his positions and the justified hot water he's been in recently.

I stand by my comments, and I don't represent the American "left", either.

It looks a lot more rational than 'Bill Maher is a secret Republican' or 'He has more in common with the right than me!' which is hysterical bullshit.

Just going by this year, Maher has more in common with the right (islamaphobe, largely unconcerned about trans issues, likes nigger with the hard r) than the average black dude so nah, it's not hysterical

Inuhanyou

The guy has literally said Americans are scared to say radical Islamic terrorism and that's apparently one of the main problems with leftists according to him. He's the Sam harris of entertainment TV

Whether as neoliberal apologist(while claiming to support bernie sanders no less) or an alt right enabler, its not hard to see where people get the idea that Bill maher is way further to the right than anyone thought both economically and socially

Maxim726X

Lol.

Last thing I need is a self serving moderate talking down to me on a fake, lame liberal, someone who's more concerned with lifting up oppressors than he is with actual progress.

Maher's quotes in this thread should be more than enough to convince rational people that he could ultimately give two fucks about legitimate progressive progress, but I have to remember we're in a thread where people are defending the legion of shitters he keeps on because reasons.

Your post is a prime example. It's much easier to try to cut me down than it is to say that Maher is worthy of critique due to his positions and the justified hot water he's been in recently.

I stand by my comments, and I don't represent the American "left", either.

Worthy of critique = Maher has more in common with Republicans than Democrats? This is supposed to be real critique?

It's much easier to cut this down because... And I guess it bears repeating- It's not true. He has moments where he looks like a fucking clown, this is undeniable. But if you really think that these quotes simply wipe away 15 years of his fucking show where he tears down Republicans non-stop you're delusional.

hokahey

You don't have to care that Nugent is obviously lying but expecting us to go along is insulting.

What's the point in being so bitter and cynical? Why assume he's lying? I have strongly disliked him for a long time, but if he wants to be more civil I'm going to give him his shot.

Maxim726X

The guy has literally said Americans are scared to say radical Islamic terrorism and that's apparently one of the main problems with leftists according to him. He's the Sam harris of entertainment TV

Whether as neoliberal apologist(while claiming to support bernie sanders no less) or an alt right enabler, its not hard to see where people get the idea that Bill maher is way further to the right than anyone thought both economically and socially

Well, now I've heard it all.

Yes, someone who has been clamoring for universal healthcare for years, gay rights/marriage equality, higher taxes for corporations and the wealthiest among us, gun control, stricter environmental regulations, the decriminalization of marijuana and the end of mandatory minimums (which he has said largely and unfairly targets minorities), violence and abuse of power by the police, end of private prisons... Clearly the views of someone on the right.

In the age of thoughtless hot takes and groupthink, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.

Inuhanyou

I can't believe there are so many thick headed people around..

Ted nugent literally said after he announced he was giving up hate

"I don't apologize for anything i've said! Those people on the other side are obviously shitty and bad, but i thought that i'd try and tone down my language because the left is so good at misconstruing what i've said, because they are so hateful!"

So no, he didn't apologize, and he didn't even admit that he said hateful things, only that leftists blew up his words to mean more than they apparently did.

Worthy of critique = Maher has more in common with Republicans than Democrats? This is supposed to be real critique?

It's much easier to cut this down because... And I guess it bears repeating- It's not true. He has moments where he looks like a fucking clown, this is undeniable. But if you really think that these quotes simply wipe away 15 years of his fucking show where he tears down Republicans non-stop you're delusional.

He also tears down the left, and does it with just as much enthusiasm, taking a holier than thou approach while doing so. This issue of "free speech" that we've been discussing in this thread is a prime example.

And sorry, just because he tears down some lame ass senator or congressman doesn't mean he gets a pass for Coulter, or Milo, or dropping that n-bomb, or any of the other shitty, questionable things he's done and said.

I'm calling him out because he (and you, apparently) want to have it both ways. I'm fine with taking a flawed ally, but Maher isn't that.

What's the point in being so bitter and cynical? Why assume he's lying? I have strongly disliked him for a long time, but if he wants to be more civil I'm going to give him his shot.

You lack heart and integrity. Ted Nugent is a bonafide piece of shit who isn't actually apologizing for violent rhetoric and racism of the past 8 years (hmm, I wonder what's different now?), but is instead trying to make it less likely that anyone could use his own words against him. The messaging might be softer, less you know, fucking insane but the prick remains the same.

Maher is a smug prick, and that might be the only label he doesn't defy. You can safely say he has little else in common with a Modern Republican though.

Slayven

Well, now I've heard it all.

Yes, someone who has been clamoring for universal healthcare for years, gay rights/marriage equality, higher taxes for corporations and the wealthiest among us, gun control, stricter environmental regulations, the decriminalization of marijuana and the end of mandatory minimums (which he has said largely and unfairly targets minorities), violence and abuse of power by the police, end of private prisons... Clearly the views of someone on the right.

In the age of thoughtless hot takes and groupthink, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.

Sam Harris

“I worry that BLM, if it got all the attention that it wants, it could set race relations back in this country a generation.”

Top Bottom