• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think next generation will finally be jaggy free?

I don't care about jaggies/graphics.

I'd rather have less story, more gameplay, and the stories they do have with proper facial/mouth animation.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Scrow said:
what an odd logic. someone could easily argue the same point for keeping the resolution a step below 1280. increasing resolution adds to the experience at each step.

seeing objects in the distance is OP

soco

no. there might not be jaggies if you sit 12-15 feet and have a smaller tv, but it's unlikely.

with the focus having shifted to motion controllers and cameras starting to play a bigger roll in lots of games, i think consoles will see less of a shift in graphics and we'll see more peripherals being bundled. if kinect takes off, i imagine we'll see something above a USB2.0 camera so that they can have a wide-angle, higher resolution camera to more easily resolve movements, something i'm guessing accounts for a lot of the limitations the current implementation has.

i expect move will probably be bundled in with the next ps3, and they'll pull out their kinect like tech to match.

based on what i know of nintendo, kinect doesn't really scare them, so god only knows what they have up their sleeves.

:(

Grayman

I think that there will never be high console standards for AA, Resolution(internal), framerate, or load times. It is going to be left up to each individual game and many are going to make trade offs.

no.

AA has been and will almost always been lower priority when it comes to a games visual fidelity. Developers will almost always favor higher resolutions, more plygons, more advanced shader effects, higher frame rates, etc, over AA.

So unless we hit a ceiling on that, or they find an extremely cheap way to do it, it's never going to a standard.

Malvolio

Jaggies?

1103273-1203566373-PCMasterRace2.png

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
When one identifies with a brand and bases their own likes/dislikes on its characteristics ("console war" mentality), yes, you get plenty of people that argue for jaggies over true AA (not blur AA) because "it makes the graphics look sharper" (ugh, literally) or, conversely, argue for low resolution and bluriness over high resolution and clarity because "it helps hide the imperfections".

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Quest for 1080p visuals at 30FPS!
Jaggies!
Quest for 1440p visuals at 30FPS!
Jaggies!
Quest for 1920p visuals at 30FPS!
Jaggies?

Soon we will pack enough power per pixel resolution we won't need anymore AA.
Truly developers are wise beyond their years.

Myriadis

I just had to look up on Wikipedia about "Jaggies".I only knew the german word,"Treppeneffekt" (stair effect).
I once saw a comparison pic between no AA and full AA and it was a significant change,but normally I don't notice it.The only time I did was when I read about it five years ago and played Super Mario 64 shortly after.:lol

camineet

Banned
disappeared said:
jaggies be damned. 60-frames should have been an industry standard years ago.

SEGA made 60-frames a second standard in arcades, starting with Daytona USA in 1993/1994 on MODEL 2 and all their MODEL 2, MODEL 3 games. Namco too, starting with System 22 Ridge Racer in 1993.

segasonic

in terms of ugliness

tearing >>> instable framerate >> jaggies

Next generation should enforce V-Sync, 1080p and at least 30 fps via certification process

eso76

considering we already have a decent amount of 720p 4xaa titles, i believe 1080p 4x|someformof|aa could be the minimum standard next gen, and that's pretty much almost jaggy free.

DonMigs85

Although they looked a bit soft, the Dreamcast's graphics were very smooth and almost totally jaggie-free. That stupid flicker filtering worked!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Next generation will focus on how good games can potentially look with the new hardware.

There will be no prime optimization generation, 60fps and jaggy-free gaming will not be the standard in the foreseeable future.

It's all about the graphics and how sharp/realistic they can look.

It's a nice thing to hope for, but I don't see any reason to think that anything to do with IQ will improve substantially across the board next console generation. Most developers will continue to insist on pushing that little bit farther in the flashy effects area than what the hardware can manage and sacrifice AA, framerate and resolution just as they always have. And until gamers stop getting their first impressions of games from screenshots and blurry videos online, nobody will really notice until it's too late and they've already bought the game.

peakish

If AMD:s new GPU:s can add MLAA with basically no drop in framerate, wouldn't that mean that we in a good world would have that shit as standard in next gen consoles at least? It's something.

Shai-Tan

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
It's a nice thing to hope for, but I don't see any reason to think that anything to do with IQ will improve substantially across the board next console generation. Most developers will continue to insist on pushing that little bit farther in the flashy effects area than what the hardware can manage and sacrifice AA, framerate and resolution just as they always have. And until gamers stop getting their first impressions of games from screenshots and blurry videos online, nobody will really notice until it's too late and they've already bought the game.

Naw. What we see right now is a hardware/engine limitation. Most 360 games are using 2xAA and in rare cases 4xAA (games like RE5 dynamically switch), however it's problematic to do with deferred rendering so you either get partial AA or no AA in some games. In previous ports due to the weak GPU PS3 ports have had no AA or blurry temporal AA. AA that works well in deferred is only recently becoming popular and that's with this very old current gen graphics tech in some cases using CPU rather than the GPU.

Some of the blurry is also due to lack of proper AF. I don't know if that's because of limitation on GPU or engine features like parallax mapping which prevent it from working similar to the deferred rendering issue (I'm guessing it will be solved by next gen)

Mr_Brit

Banned
peakish said:
If AMD:s new GPU:s can add MLAA with basically no drop in framerate, wouldn't that mean that we in a good world would have that shit as standard in next gen consoles at least? It's something.
MLAA has several shortcomings which prevent it from being the cure to aliasing, I'm sure that by next gen something better than MLAA will have come along such as a combination of traditional AA+MLAA working together or maybe even something more revolutionary as we never know what these devs are going to come up with.

DonMigs85

Woo-Fu said:
You can add AA to any console game you'd like.

sit farther away
Or just squint.
By the way, Diddy Kong Racing on N64 was odd in that the graphics would get anti-aliased if you paused the game. :lol

Zombie James said:
Well, that's what I mean. MLAA on the new AMD cards, for example, come with negligible performance hits on most games:

Lu8MQ.png

teh fuck happened here? how do you get this little frames in sc2? :D

BAW

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
MLAA has several shortcomings which prevent it from being the cure to aliasing, I'm sure that by next gen something better than MLAA will have come along such as a combination of traditional AA+MLAA working together or maybe even something more revolutionary as we never know what these devs are going to come up with.

Next gen is still quite a few years away, I expect there will be 2nd gen or 3rd gen MLAA developed by that time that will solve most of the problems while keeping the good parts (performance!). Therefore, I expect next gen to make full use of it and deliver a jag-free experience.

oh god i hope so. I really do. I hope and pray to god that Nintendo will have their shit together graphicly. I love their games, but they look like shit on a HD screen. See what wonders the lack of jaggies do in the Dolphin thread. You cn see that galaxy actually looks much better wighout those damned jaggies. They really catch my eye every fcking time. They make games less immersive. (yeah yeah, in the old days we didn't know any better)

jambo said:
Plus 30 FPS is more cinematic.
:lol
camineet said:
SEGA made 60-frames a second standard in arcades, starting with Daytona USA in 1993/1994 on MODEL 2 and all their MODEL 2, MODEL 3 games. Namco too, starting with System 22 Ridge Racer in 1993.
2s7hqu8.gif

Sega does what nowadaysdon't. Seriously impressed looking back at how they managed this and had the industry leading grpahics that surpassed most others. I wish for 60fps on all games next gen.

Plywood said:
Oh man, now I remember the people who thought jaggies added to the art style of the game.

Wait, what? :lol

Branduil said:
Not really. Film and Video has natural blur, unlike games.

Not to mention that low framerates can hamper player reaction as well as cause input lag, something non-interactive media don't have to deal with

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well it's been promised before this generation and look how it turned out. I think we need to take any official statement with a bucket of salt whenever rumblings of next gen performance start.

PETER MOORE: So to create experiences that transform reality, well, that's really a lot to ask of any medium. To ensure that the next generation delivers, every game is built on what we call Essentials, a foundation of requirements every game must have before it can ship on the Xbox 360 platform. These essentials include a minimum of 720p high definition resolution to provide gamers with jaw-dropping visual clarity and fidelity. Many developers are already working on games in 1080i.

Every Xbox 360 game will be designed for high definition widescreen television and will support 16x9 aspect ratio to expand the storytelling canvas.

Let me just say very clearly: These games will also look amazing on standard definition TV.

In addition, Xbox 360 games will provide anti-aliasing that gets rid of what we call the jaggies. Well, you know what, with Xbox 360, the age of the jaggies is over, superseded by smooth, lifelike visuals of cinematic quality.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/rbach/05-16-05e3.mspx

Ranger X

SO MANY things to fix before jaggies...
I can't believe people seeing this as a real problem. You have a per pixel display, live with it. lol

Besides, we are soon to be in a 1080p world and this world is pretty much jaggies free except if you're using some 70inch tv or something.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ranger X said:
SO MANY things to fix before jaggies...
I can't believe people seeing this as a real problem. You have a per pixel display, live with it. lol

Besides, we are soon to be in a 1080p world and this world is pretty much jaggies free except if you're using some 70inch tv or something.
I play PC games on a 42 inch TV from about 3.5 feet away and I can easily tell a difference between 8xAA and no AA. 1080p certainly isn't jaggie free. And isn't this a "720p" world atm :lol :lol

Devs will use sub 1080p resolutions next-gen

mescalineeyes said:
teh fuck happened here? how do you get this little frames in sc2? :D

The ultra settings in SC2 make it one of the most demanding games on the platform. No PC config can manage the with a locked 60fps since they're so reliant on single threaded CPU performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the OP, the adoption of destructive post process techniques like MLAA is precisely why we won't ever see aliasing free console games. A post process filter can never add information, you will always need something (ike MSAA) to deal with the sub pixel aliasing issues that crop up when a game is in motion. No matter how good MLAA looks in stills it still has fundamental drawbacks that mean it can't possibly ever deal with all forms of aliasing.

So, yes, techniques similar to MLAA will indeed be "standard" next generation but the very fact that they'll be used and seen as "good enough" is why we're not going to get aliasing free console games next generation. Masses of games with absolutely ridiculous amounts of aliasing ill be a thing of the past of course, but there'll still be several "gotchas."

We're several decades away from seeing console games with 8xSGSSAA as standard (I doubt it'll ever happen), and I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no way anyone can describe an AA routine that is inferior to that as "jaggy free."

Ranger X said:

:lol :lol

I don't think I've seen quite a ridiculous statement on GAF all week.

mr_nothin said:
lol, perfect.
Maybe these companies should start looking into making a separate/dedicated AA component.

GPUs have been including dedicated logic for MSAA for decades. With the rise of post process techniques which most see as "good enough", I'd say they'd much sooner remove that silicon than add to it.

Top Bottom