• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I think you guys underestimate Marvel in Japan, they definitely have a scene for it there and their players in Marvel 3 have actually cracked top 8 at EVO (two in a top 8 in fact).

Marvel Infinite could have been an opportunity to expand that especially with EVO Japan. I guess Capcom ran out of money hats for it.

I can probably take the excuse that they are only putting in games that have been released. But that hasn't stopped EVO before so whatever.

Also they had Marvel 3 at SBO that one year. Justin Wong won that, was a historical moment for our country!

I haven't been following this game very closely why does everyone hate it so much? It looks fine to me I'd rather have good fighting then crappy RPG systems like a certain other game with insanely high chip damage.

Jawmuncher

Capcom are acutally genius. Release Abigail so it's all people talk about. That way less heat is on MVC:I from that crowd. Smart Move capcom.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Capcom are acutally genius. Release Abigail so it's all people talk about. That way less heat is on MVC:I from that crowd. Smart Move capcom.

In all seriousness, when all MvC character designs look like something that could conceptually be in any western made entertainment product (Even Jedah feels pretty western relatable here, like a dark elf or something), Abigail doesn't fit into any of that.

He's not pandering to any lovers of highly stylish or sexy designs, currently trendy concepts, or direct, well-loved archetypes. He's not trying to be cheaply liked... at all. It's nice to see Capcom's hand unrestricted, making something only they want to make, alongside this game that feels like a shining example of executive meddling run amok over desires and design creativity.

They should just do another Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution after SFV or MVC:I's run is over.
The reason that worked is because they had tons of premade sprites and movesets to choose from.

SF is the only franchise that survived the dark age and went 3D. The only other fighters with salvagable 3D models are Morrigan, Jedah, Felicia, and Hsien-Ko.

tribal24

Banned
The reason that worked is because they had tons of premade sprites and movesets to choose from.

SF is the only franchise that survived the dark age and went 3D. The only other fighters with salvagable 3D models are Morrigan, Jedah, Felicia, and Hsien-Ko.

they can just reuse the stuff in MVCI and then create new models for other characters. I think it can work. More importantly they should get Rival schools either in Marvel or SFV universe Akira would look nice in Street Fighter V

Its very late and I just finished watching things I missed.
Jedah and Gamora look awesome and I think this was....probably the first thing Capcom didn't screw up too badly in a while. Jedah looks really good, and I feel like this was supposed to be just a taste for next week...

So many reveals for so many games,
except for a certain fiery red-headed alien...I thought we were going to get a Starfire trailer, I guess not.

I really think Capcom should try to do more exhibitions....in my opinion this wasn't too terrible. They should have treated it less like a match and more like a character showcase though.

Would be awesome if Capcom had monthly Watchtower-esque streams but I suppose they don't have the time/money/manpower/permission from marvel/whatever for it.

Was 1vsCPU confirmed already? MVC3 didn't have it and I don't see people talking about it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
OH SHIT

Tokido won Evo? Finally, happy for the dude. Worth checking out the top 8 then?

Sesha

Cool. I might just go see it, next weekend, then. 'Dat Mahvel Universe got a tad too over-expanded, theatrically for me, and so I haven't kept up recently, except for Capt. 3, because montage madness.

I was meh on the trailers, and I'm not really a Spider-Man fan anymore, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. After Guardians 2 it was my most liked Marvel movie since Ant-Man and Guardians 1. I didn't love it, but I rarely love more than a couple of movies in any given year.

sinkfla87

Tokido pretty much steamrolled punk. It was kind of sad (for punk) but pretty amazing. He didn't just win, he put on a show haha. Tokido got him with all of Akuma's known tools. RD, Taunt combo, Ex Air hadouken cross ups, etc. I've never seen anyone play the game that well before.

Seyavesh

okay, back from evo where i played like probably over 200+ games of infinite since i basically spent most of my free time on friday and sat. before pools playing it and the lines were practically nonexistent quite often to the point of where me and whoever else was on the station would sit there and just keep playing for like 20 minutes until someone wandered over

anyhow, longform dead tired impressions typed from a keyboard rather than a phone:

from what i can tell tags are freeform as hell in terms of when you can do them but not really flexible in terms of actual practical application of game states. it's extremely likely a day -60~ thing but even with folks who were also exploring the game there wasn't really a lot of creative usage of tags- it was just used to set up mixups or just throw projectiles out in a really linear fashion rather than having the nuance of assists not requiring commitment from the point char. combofiend was on the main winners stays setup for awhile on friday and even his play didn't really suggest anything otherwise.

like i said in my previous post (in the fg community thread), projectiles are really strong in terms of space control due to how shitty the movement is in the game- despite every char besides x (whose buster is pretty crazy recovery wise) having significantly slower projectile startup it's still really hard to actually navigate around them due to not having fine control of movement to punish shit- chars that outright don't have airdashes or air mobility of any sort seem to really struggle there, especially when you start adding in the reality stone shenanigans to zoning.

i really have to emphasize how shitty movement feels right now though- the folks who were saying that the story demo and the vs. demo felt different are definitely wrong b/c they're the exact same in all the basic gameplay departments. you still can't do real wavedashes b/c of the startup on acceleration, you still can't cancel forward dash into backdash and vice versa, you still can't zigzag airdash, air plinking is still this awkward slow mess and overall ground movement still feels like doing SF style dashes with a higher commitment and travel distance/lower control rather than marvel style low/no commitment and high speed/control due to fine execution.
every 8way character seems to have the same airdash except thor whose is faster. the speed on their airdashes is about the same as c.viper's in 3's- pretty slow comparatively but still smooth vs. the stiff sf-feeling dashes of ground movement. to note, thor's is about the same as dr. doom's speed but with a higher distance so he hauls ass.
there is an extremely high height restriction on air normals off 8way airdashes that makes it so you can't actually do real trijumps in the game- they're all reactable and fuzzy-guardable based on reaction so doin' shit like magneto actually just outright doesn't really exist. doing up/down high/lows instead of ADDF in the same vein as nova might work because i never tested it but you definitely can't do it off ADDF. it feels really bad to try and trijump, both as a mixup and for fast poking purposes as you have to commit so early to really do shit.
funny enough regular airdashes don't have this height requirement so chun li and zero get to do some real fucked up stuff w/ impunity by doing really low airdashes into buttons.

speaking of which, zero still has fuzzy guard j.L/LK that combos for some insane reason and it's extremely easy to set up with sogenmu, which is also even better in infinite than it was in 3 thanks to the different system. the inability to chickenblock, even midair (you can't block at all until about 50-60% of the way to the peak of a regular jump). he still has teleport buster which has no scaling and is near unblockable when he's doing teleport+normal strings with sogenmu on thanks to the additional delay from sogenmu.

to note on the scaling thing, it's actually a massive deal and one of the big things that is going to stratify tiering b/c any light normal including command normals that use light immediately scale your combo to shit to the point of where it's actually actively inefficient to burn more than 1 meter on them due to how little damage the supers do. i personally think it's outright better to just do a canned reset off them b/c you'll most likely kill off the reset depending on the type of hit you get from it once shit gets optimized.
however, if you hit someone with a heavy kick, special or super then that heavy scaling doesn't kick in and you outright do 60-70% with 1 super doing basic shit- see the thanos combo with all the palms that does like 80%. so the chars that have higher chances of hitting you with HP/HK as part of their regular gameplan will get way more out of that system than chars that don't.

my guess is that 8way airdashers and some more ridiculous regular airdashers/air mobility type chars are gonna be the main "playable" tier of the cast due to the overall package of system mechanics but that's just built from ultimately minuscule experience w/ the game so who knows. jumping is REALLY good because of the lack of anti-air space control and anti-airing is nearly impossible vs many chars, with airthrows not leading to shit besides a setup and raw launches/stand jabs just not having the hitboxes or active frames to beat the real good air buttons from them, especially thanks to the autocorrecting aspect.

keepaway as an actual gameplan outright does not exist anymore btw, the meter building mechanics, miniscule chip damage (it looks like 5-10% pre-pushblock) and projectile reflecting mechanics make actively killing someone with runaway not viable. it's really hard for folks to get in on day -60 so they get clipped a lot trying to attack but if you just sit still and be patient like when you're doom fighting from 2nd/3rd in mvc3 you're never really at any risk from the projectiles themselves. the biggest scare factor is the tagged in char doing some form of mixup while you're locked down, which isn't really keepaway at that point. there's a vid of morrigan just going ham with time stone and astral and probably one of zero in sogenmu doing something similar but those things aren't really threatening in the slightest due to just how little fbs do chipwise and how you can negate so many of them with projectile reflect (which is easy to do). zero's is probably the more threatening one in this case because reflecting them into him once he teleports over is vaguely random and if you don't do that and he starts doing sogenmu normal+teleport strings w/ a giant string of fireballs behind him it becomes visually incoherent.

another random visually incoherent clone thing is that morrigan's astral clone is nearly impossible to discern from her main point, with really faint sparkles showing which one is which. in split second scenarios where she throws a FB, then dashes in with jHP and the FB hits crossup/noncrossup shortly after she lands because it's impossible to see which one is the actual morrigan as your char doesn't turn before the FB hits

anyways, graphically it's the same as the story demo. it's just the stages that aren't drab gray have significantly better lighting and color direction which then makes chars stick out more. nobody's face got updated nor did any effects or anything like that. the game still looks like ass but it's really easy to ignore on a showroom floor when you're trying to beat live opponents. when you pick xgard highway then you could see that there's no real significant difference from the story demo and the vs. demo.

as a final note my initial impression of infinite was negative and the negative impressions that i had originally thought of are all still real valid concerns from the vs. demo. the game really does not give off the same vibe as being 'marvel' in the slightest due to many basic system mechanic changes leading to massive differences in how the game is played. that said, what is actually there definitely grew on me as i played, but it's really hard for me to tell whether that's because i was just beating folks up in a new game or if the game was actually satisfying to play at a base mechanical level. i already know i can't pick characters that don't have 8way in this game because of how the ground movement feels so there's that much at least.

also iron man's face is fucking horrifying to look at and i really wish they just used his mvc3 winpose

there's probably more i'm forgetting but i've been awake for way too long thanks to waking up for marvel finals while also playing until 4am and not sleeping since then

Bizazedo

okay, back from evo where i played like probably over 200+ games of infinite since i basically spent most of my free time on friday and sat. before pools playing it and the lines were practically nonexistent quite often to the point of where me and whoever else was on the station would sit there and just keep playing for like 20 minutes until someone wandered over
This would feel alarming to me if I was Capcom.

I've heard mixed stuff, that it was packed and that it wasn't packed....but more to that it wasn't.

Seyavesh

I've heard mixed stuff, that it was packed and that it wasn't packed....but more to that it wasn't.

it would vary between being packed and being pretty empty depending on what else was going on at the time. most of the time it wasn't really that packed though which is what let me get so many games in. the most packed lines were easily the winner stays on, so the side that folks were taking photos of was always the most populated one.

alternatively it's so dead that even capcom gave up:
Yauyjei.jpg

or maybe it's just that they peaced out like everyone else at this time except fantasy strike.

that does remind me though i forgot to take a photo of it but the 'lil guides that told you the default controls all had different control schemes on them, including misprinted buttons (R1/L1 instead of R1/R2 iirc). nobody could figure out whether stone or switch was supposed to be on top b/c it kept on alternating on different stations for the default controls so in the end everyone who played a lot just always did char select control config to make sure they had it the way they liked it

i played it with stone on top and that's what my thing said so that's what i ended up using but other folks were doing it the other way around or like the story demo's config which is also totally different b/c stone and tag are both on the top row instead of being above/below each other

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
100% of the time i checked it was, to the point of where i just outright gave up on trying to play it b/c i didn't want to wait 20+ minutes

Just curious? how many stations did Dragon Ball FighterZ had? I heard mixed comments on the numbers so I figure that you might know for certain.

Seyavesh

Just curious? how many stations did Dragon Ball FighterZ had? I heard mixed comments on the numbers so I figure that you might know for certain.

idk, i didn't really pay attention to it but it wasn't a small number or anything- like there had to be at least 6 setups not including the stream station?

Vice

At most I had four people in front of me during the weekend. Probably got 40-50 games in over a couple of days.

Seyavesh

Like 11 total, BUT, 1 was the stream station, 8 were exclusively for the tournaments, and only 2 for everybody else to line up to play.

was that on sat. as well? i saw that it was still packed on sat. so i just went back to playing infinite b/c folks who had done the same shit i had were still on the inf. setups meaning i got to explore more of the competitive side of the game rather than just beating up folks who had only touched the game once or twice

was that on sat. as well? i saw that it was still packed on sat. so i just went back to playing infinite b/c folks who had done the same shit i had were still on the inf. setups meaning i got to explore more of the competitive side of the game rather than just beating up folks who had only touched the game once or twice

Yup, they had tournaments both days. Only time all set ups were available to everyone was 9-10am before they started.

I wanted to try DBFZ, but that in combination with having to use an XB1 controller meant I just kept alternating between Marvel and Dissidia instead and only got 3 games over the weekend.

Coda

I've been actually hype for MVCI now. It actually looks fun and after playing the Story Demo and figuring the game out a little bit more I was doing some high octane level action and it feels good.

After seeing Jedah I kept watching that exhibition and was dreaming up scenarios and set up potential with him and Dante. That team would probably be OD. Excited to also see Sigma and Venom gameplay.

TWILT

Banned
Thanks for the write up, Seya. The movement and keepaway being really weak were definitely some of my major concerns about the game based on what I heard about the mechanics changes.

Jedah looks really awesome and Gamora looks pretty fucking dope even though I have little time for sword guys/gals.

Alongside the rumors, Jedah animation for sure makes me expect Venom as well. He and the bug are coming soon Jetman 🙏🏿

Valkanda lighting is what this game needs because it definitely gets a bump in look that way.

tangled55

What is the utility gained from the more stringent movement in terms of the mechanics? I mean...why? It doesn't make sense. It seems restricted in every sense: ground and air. That is not Marvel.

Also, ugh, I haven't mentioned it before, but the whole instantaneous tag thing is just trash. It offers no utility other than projectile super + lockdown + 2nd character mixup. That's the meta. Period.

Lastly, can both characters even activate Infinity Storm at the same time? If not, what's the point?

It's just all wrong. Am I tripping?

For a lot of the time, only 2 stations were open for DBZ casuals...which of course made lines huge.

Mvci had 12 setups in a big square, which made access much easier and efficient. There was always a crowd, but waiting for any single machine wasn't too long. Sometimes you could get away with playing multiple turns, because people were waiting on other setups.

Mvci setup was much more player friendly. There was no single, centralized line that you could photograph and brag about on Twitter.

But, don't let anyone tell you there was no interest in mvci. Especially on the winner stays on setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom