• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston to hate groups You're not welcome to rally here

(CNN)In response to the rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday, Boston officials and Mayor Martin Walsh had a message on Monday for hate groups planning a rally in Boston this weekend: They are not welcome.

"We have a message for all the hate groups. Boston does not welcome you here. Boston does not want you here. Boston rejects your message," Walsh said during a news conference. "We reject racism, we reject white supremacy, we reject anti-Semitism, we reject the KKK, we reject the neo-Nazis, we reject domestic terrorism and hatred. We will do everything in our power to keep hate out of our city."
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker echoed Walsh's statement calling the events that took place in Virginia over the weekend a tragedy and an act of terror.
"What happened in Virginia was a tragedy and an act of terror. A tragedy perpetrated by white supremacists that disturbed, as it should, Americans everywhere. As governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts I want to be clear that there is no place here for that type of hatred, period, that we saw in Virginia."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/us/bo...7boston-prepares-for-weekend-rally0740PMStory

A lot of the racist speakers are deciding not to come and are making a bunch of excuses. Their featured guests are dropping out rapidly. Needless to say whatever morons do show up are going to be outnumbered and unwelcome.

Sanjuro

N6j8Jnw.jpg

Snaku

Banned
Fucking ridiculous that this even needs to be said. Fucking Nazis should not be welcome anywhere on American soil.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Hmmmm, that's good to hear. I've heard from other blacks that visited the city that they didn't feel particularly welcomed and were warned by law enforcement that they'd be better off not venturing to certain areas. In this instance, it was my barber who was with a few other friends and they were looking to explore Boston's nightlife following some sporting event. Glad to hear that Boston is getting better and depriving these people of a place to cultivate and proliferate their hate.

UberTag

In an unrelated story, dozens of alt-right/Nazi/white supremacy rally organizers across the country have quietly repackaged their events into pro-Trump campaign rallies.

Boston, huh?

Well, at least the didn't mince words with the statement. They called out the real terrorist and didn't try any "both sides" bullshit

DMczaf

"We reject racism, we reject white supremacy, we reject anti-Semitism, we reject the KKK, we reject the neo-Nazis, we reject domestic terrorism and hatred. We will do everything in our power to keep hate out of our city."

the mayor of Boston makes the statement that the leader of the free world failed to do.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Freedom of speech should not cover hate speech full stop. Fuck a slippery slope.

Yay for some on GAF showing their Boston ignorance like clockwork that probably derails the good message of this thread. Never matters that, politically, Boston and MA are one of the most liberal places in the country, I guess.

I'm so happy by this message from the mayor and governor.

Are they kicking out the entire population of Boston or something?

Like I said very ignorant.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Yay for some on GAF showing their Boston ignorance like clockwork that probably derails the good message of this thread. Never matters that, politically, Boston and MA are one of the most liberal places in the country, I guess.

Sigh, can't take a joke?

Also welcome to every thread or mention about the south on the internet.

Jesus Christ. Try living in Texas

Sigh, can't take a joke?

Also welcome to every thread or mention about the south on the internet.

The south is heavily conservative (and deserves a lot of the criticism thrown its way) so that comparison doesn't really work for me. Boston is heavily liberal. It definitely gets singled out more so than most other liberal cities/areas here on GAF.

Let them march, but without sticks and shields and guns, we'll see how tough they are. Bring your tiki torch and have it shoved up your ass.

Boston earned its racist reputation in some places. The Red Sox were the last MLB team to integrate, 12 years after the Dodgers brought up Jackie Robinson. Just this year, a Red Sox fans was banned for making racist comments towards Adam Jones.

Anecdotally, the most casually racist thing I've ever heard came from a Boston resident because he couldn't stand "N******* and their N***** shows." Not sure why he thought I'd agree with him.

Boston earned its racist reputation in some places. The Red Sox were the last MLB team to integrate, 12 years after the Dodgers brought up Jackie Robinson. Just this year, a Red Sox fans was banned for making racist comments towards Adam Jones.

Anecdotally, the most casually racist thing I've ever heard came from a Boston resident because he couldn't stand "N******* and their N***** shows"

I mean the Celtics were also the first team to hire a black coach in all of sports (mind you, I do know Russell's opinions of Boston back in the 60s). Seems like Boston was a pretty racist place back then, but it's definitely not what I've grown up in, and I'm not white either.

Seriously.

It's fun to poke fun

It's fun to poke fun at a city and state that are ahead of many in the game on what should be a more important issue than "poking fun"?

commedieu

Banned
So white supremacists response to conflict, is the destruction of holocaust memorials. To prove that they aren't white supremacists..?

The south is heavily conservative (and deserves a lot of the criticism thrown its way) so that comparison doesn't really work for me. Boston is heavily liberal. It definitely gets singled out more so than most other liberal cities/areas here on GAF.

You should read about the desegregation/forced busing of the Boston school district in the late 70s/early 80s. You'd probably think it was something in the South 20 years earlier if you didn't know any better.

There's not a city in this country - big or small - that doesn't have an ugly history with racism.

Otnopolit

Boston Busing Crisis in the 70's. Grown people throwing rocks at school buses full of minorities because they were "invading" or "encroaching" on their territory. We are not exempt, sadly.

Edit: wrong decade!

Top Bottom