• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston to hate groups You're not welcome to rally here

Boston seems to be the most polarizing places I can think of. People who live there will tell you it's not particularly racist (no more than any other city), but people who visit or have read about it online will tell you it's among the most racist cities in the US, which I always find hilarious

ZeoVGM

Banned
My point is that Boston has issues of their own and that they need to examine those instead of instantly becoming defensive every time it's pointed out. This statement is great but they have work to within their own house..

The city has some issues. Racists are absolutely not the majority, not by a long shot, and it is working to fix those problems. The problems DO exist.

Coming into a thread to say LOL PATS FANS ARE NAZIS doesn't add anything to the conversation. It's childish and disrespectful to the woman who was literally murdered by a Nazi two days ago.

cdyhybrid

The city has some issues. Racists are absolutely not the majority, not by a long shot, and it is working to fix those problems. The problems DO exist.

Coming into a thread to say LOL PATS FANS ARE NAZIS doesn't add anything to the conversation. It's childish and disrespectful to the woman who was literally murdered by a Nazi two days ago.

I didn't say that, but I agree with you completely.

ZeoVGM

Banned
they have the right to rally

this is rich coming a notoriously racist city. just ask CC Sabathia

So because the city has a history of issues with racism, they shouldn't push back against racism.

Truly fantastic logic there. Especially from someone saying "they have the right to rally."

Ivan 3414

Boston seems to be the most polarizing places I can think of. People who live there will tell you it's not particularly racist (no more than any other city), but people who visit or have read about it online will tell you it's among the most racist cities in the US, which I always find hilarious

So why do you think people who visit think it's racist? Why is Boston being singled out?

Nephtis

I'd actually be ok with the state seizing all assets if those found to be members of hate groups and / or go to hate group rallies especially after there has been a murder.

Like, everyone identified should in a world of hurt.

However, I can see how this could be abused to hurt those that protest for good things like BLM etc when there are riots and such. So I have to settle for it to just be a pipe dream :(

Ha, try living in Alabama.

We gonna play this gaaaame

Georgia/ATL are just there to maintain some semblance of order.

We honestly think yall are all nuts, even our rednecks make fun of other southern states.

I honestly think Mississippi or Florida is the worst overall. Miss is a nightmare-hellhole and Florida has some nice cities/coasts while mostly being a nightmare-hellhole.

FWIW on topic the most (extreme) racist people I've ever met are from California, so take that for what you will. I've known a lot of racist people, too. The North isn't exempt, nowhere is. Racists don't recognize regions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I didn't say that, but I agree with you completely.

I apologize, I know you didn't. Someone on the first page did so I was speaking in general terms as you seem to be pushing back on the city.

Boston is overall ashamed of its racist history and has been actively trying to push back on it for years because they know it's a minority of people acting that way. When you have events like baseball players being called the N-word by someone, it certainly doesn't help and only helps solidify the idea that "Boston is racist."

Boston isn't racist. If these hate groups show up, they will be run the hell out of town. That doesn't mean the city doesn't have issues. But there were a number of "jokes" in this thread that were honestly gross considering the serious situation at hand.

Astral Dog

DHOkEH9V0AEy_4A.jpg:large
Omg the text below is way better, but this cant be real 😂

Arc

Oh another Boston thread on GAF that immediately derails into shitposting about a city posters have never been too.

Maybe we should focus on the mayor's comments instead since they're some of the strongest words said from a notable public official. But nope let's talk about Sully from Southie. That will help.

cdyhybrid

I'd actually be ok with the state seizing all assets if those found to be members of hate groups and / or go to hate group rallies especially after there has been a murder.

Like, everyone identified should in a world of hurt.

However, I can see how this could be abused to hurt those that protest for good things like BLM etc when there are riots and such. So I have to settle for it to just be a pipe dream :(

Cops can already take your shit even if you don't commit a crime, especially with Sessions in charge.

Problem is a lot of those cops only missed the Nazi rally because they couldn't get the day off.

I apologize, I know you didn't. Someone on the first page did so I was speaking in general terms as you seem to be pushing back on the city.

Boston is overall ashamed of its racist history and has been actively trying to push back on it for years because they know it's a minority of people acting that way. When you have events like baseball players being called the N-word by someone, it certainly doesn't help and only helps solidify the idea that "Boston is racist."

Boston isn't racist. If these hate groups show up, they will be run the hell out of town. That doesn't mean the city doesn't have issues. But there were a number of "jokes" in this thread that were honestly gross considering the serious situation at hand.

It doesn't help that the first reaction for many when it's brought up is defensiveness and the surfacing of the legendary persecution complex Boston has with regard to sports ;)

Pretty much every city in this country has issues in some form or fashion. The first step to fixing a problem is admitting it exists.

ntropy

Or a poster agreeing hate should have a voice....
are you this naive to think hate never has a voice?
check your local library, shall we proceed to burn "hate" books?

you act like these rallies will cast a spell and render all those who witness racists, bigots and such
pardon me if i possess belief in my fellow citizens to recognize the absurdity of these values

Toxi

Banned

you act like these rallies will cast a spell and render all those who witness racists, bigots and such
pardon me if i possess belief in my fellow citizens to recognize the absurdity of these values
One of these rallies just got 3 people killed and landed many more in the hospital.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wait. Boston, one of the most liberal places in the country, is racist compared to where in the US?

Of course Boston has issues. There's severe segregation for example. But I'm just wondering from what non racist utopias the rocks are being thrown from??

Nephtis

Cops can already take your shit even if you don't commit a crime, especially with Sessions in charge.

Problem is a lot of those cops only missed the Nazi rally because they couldn't get the day off.

That both made me sad and also laugh heartily.

I mean Nazis killed someone this weekend and assaulted others... maybe you missed the news?

So why do you think people who visit think it's racist? Why is Boston being singled out?

I dunno, it's something I've thought about. I think Boston is like the Hillary Clinton of cities. There has definitely been questionable/racist shit that has happened in the city's history and in it's present (we had an article saying as a black male you'd have a reasonable reason to want to run from police), but I think the reputation has come to define it, instead of it defining its reputation, if that makes sense.

When I think of racist places, I think of places that you can't even get a sense of progressiveness. Where you wouldn't be able to have annual pride parades without a hitch, or see "Refugees welcome" in restaurant/store windows regularly, or have no fear of getting weird looks because you're in an interracial or gay couple, or have a mayor who regularly is among the first to call out shit/speak up about issues. I don't get the sense that there's particular systemic or institutional practices that plague it more than other major cities (housing issues, wealth disparity, gentrification, etc) or in particular

Obviously people have their experiences and that's largely what they base their opinions of places on, it's just that I've been hear nearing a decade and have friends from all walks of life, race, religious and gender wise and they've all generally seen it as a welcoming place

JABEE

When people think of Boston and Racism, many think of this.

And they think about their sports teams.

I'm not including the Celtics in this, but this is well-documented by Bill Russell.

And it's not like other major cities don't have problems with racism. Philadelphia has plenty of shit.

The Phillies used to be the most racist teams in the country. The team itself was absolutely brutal to Jackie Robinson. The team was known for not bringing on black players.

Being a blue city does not immunize you from being racist.

Leatherface

I have never been so proud of my state than during the response to the terrorist attack at the Boston Marathon. Everyone banded together to hunt those fuckers down. We did not cower in fear. It was like the whole damn state was high alert and actively working together to find those shit heads. They didn't get far..

I am glad to see Massachusetts, once again, makes it perfectly fucking clear that we are not screwing around or willing to tolerate this shit. It was called out for what it is: Hate. Terrorism. It is not welcome here and trust me these dumb asses would be wise not to test their luck on that adventure.

LiK

Boston has its fair share of racists like any other city. But saying that the city is racist is wrong. Lived here all my life and it's quite diverse.

Top Bottom