• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2017 (Aug 21 - Aug 27)

KtSlime

Damn, no sign of Nights of Azure Switch...

I had thought about picking it up, however I never played the first one so I don't really know what the series is about other than yuri girls fighting daemons? And I didn't know if I needed to know the story of the first one for the story of this one to be interesting, so I decided to hold off and decide after I read a review. I do want to support Gust so I feel a bit bad for not buying it.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

01./00. [PS4] Everybody's Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
02./05. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Switch Splatoon 2 Set) <BUN> (Nintendo)
03./00. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 <RPG> (Atlus)
04./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
05./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
07./04. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
08./00. [PS4] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
09./00. [PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom)
10./03. [3DS] The Snack World <RPG> (Level 5)
11./06. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
12./08. [NSW] ARMS <FTG> (Nintendo)
13./10. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
14./09. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
15./16. [PS4] Megadimension Neptunia VIIR <RPG> (Compile Heart)
16./12. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo)
17./15. [PS4] Yomawari: Midnight Shadows <ACT> (Nippon Ichi)
18./20. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
19./00. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 (10th Anniversary Box) <RPG> (Atlus)
20./13. [PSV] Yomawari: Midnight Shadows <ACT> (Nippon Ichi)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

01./04. [PS4] Destiny 2 <STG> (Sony Interactive)
02./05. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 <SPT> (Konami)
03./02. [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami 2 (Kiwami Limited Edtition) <ACT> (Sega)
04./03. [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami 2 <ACT> (Sega)
05./06. [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport <RCE> (Sony Interactive)
06./13. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (Kiseki Box) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
07./11. [3DS] Rune Factory 4 (Platinum Collection) <SLG> (Marvelous)
08./09. [PS4] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
09./16. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
10./14. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 <FTG> (Bandai Namco)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 34, 2017 (Aug 21 - Aug 27)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 35 2017

01./00. [PS4] Everybody's Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
02./01. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. <ACT> (Capcom)
03./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./00. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 <RPG> (Atlus)
05./00. [PS4] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)

06./03. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
07./00. [PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom)
08./04. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5)
09./05. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)**
10./06. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
11./00. [PSV] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
12./07. [PSV] Yomawari: Midnight Shadows <ACT> (Nippon Ichi Software)
13./08. [PS4] Yomawari: Midnight Shadows <ACT> (Nippon Ichi Software)
14./00. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 (10th Anniversary Box) <RPG> (Atlus)
15./10. [PS4] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package <RPG> (Square Enix)
16./12. [PS4] Hitman: The Complete First Season <ADV> (Square Enix)
17./09. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhod&#333; Ry&#363;nosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom)
18./17. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
19./00. [NSW] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
20./20. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)

____

**Bundles not included

Yagami_Sama

So Monster Hunter Double Cross might suffer a huge drop, I was hoping for it keep in the 20k range, but now I am not that sure.

Edit : Posted at the same time as hiska-kun.

Finally the Switch version of Nights of Azure 2 appeared, but sounds like it will be below 10k.

hiska-kun

So Monster Hunter Double Cross might suffer a huge drop, I was hoping for it keep in the 20k range, but now I am not that sure.

And no signs of the Nights of Azure 2 for Switch, and I was expecting a minimum of 10k for this game.

Just check again.

Edit: Probably at the same level as One Piece last week (~5k).

I'd be happy to see Dragon Ball do well, but I can't wait to see the end of these tests. If the Switch hadn't been successful right out of the gate and the game had bombed, that would only have told them that Switch owners don't care about late ports at full price with no real added value. So I'd hope publishers aren't really using those games to determine future support.

Arzehn

Don't understand the concern for Xenoverse performance in Japan anyway, it was never going to be the barometer for third party... selling 25k this week in Japan is a non-factor in the scheme of things. Game on all platforms is probably approaching 2 million if it hasn't already passed it. Japan is a drop in the bucket.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Road to TGS.&#8482;

Notes:
- The list will include all games announced from August 1st until the end of TGS, except mobile will be focused on games from traditional publishers, or really notable non-traditional publisher games.
- The list will include the title, genre, publisher, developer (if known), release window (if known), and any pertinent notes.
- I won't be including things until they at least have one platform announced. Similarly, games announced prior to this window with no platforms count as a new announcement. Beyond that, I'm being a bit more generous with inclusions instead of waiting until the full details show up unless we just clearly don't know enough to list it.
- This will be the Switch's first Road to TGS.

Cendrillion phalikA
Publisher/Developer: Idea Factory/Otomate
Platform(s): Vita
Genre: Otome Visual Novel
Release Window: 2018
Notes: This is one of the many Otome visual novels Idea Factory mass announced.

Charade Maniacs

Collar x Malice: Unlimited
Platform(s): Unknown

Diabolik Lovers PS4
Platform(s): PS4
Release Window: Unknown
Notes: This is one of the many Otome visual novels Idea Factory mass announced. It's a compilation.

Piofiore no Banshou

Shinku no Homura: Sanada no Ninpouchou
Platform(s): PS4, Vita

Shiritsu Verbara Gakuen: The Rose of Versailles Re*imagination

Shiro to Kuro no Alice New Title
Publisher/Developer: Idea Factory/Otomate/Kogato

Tengai Ni Mau, Ikinahana

Triangle Project
Publisher/Developer: Idea Factory/Otomate/Frontier Works
Platform(s): PC
Notes: This is one of the many Otome visual novels Idea Factory mass announced. This is technically three games, but I'll count it as announcing the first one since there's not much in the way of details.

Variable Barricade
Platform(s): PS4, Vita

Kamen Rider: Climax Fighters
Publisher/Developer: Bandai Namco
Genre: Action
Release Window: December 7th, 2017
Notes: I think they usually put out a new Kamen Rider game every 1-2 years, so this is this year's.

Sumikko Gurashi: Sumikko Park he Youkoso
Publisher/Developer: Nippon Columbia
Platform(s): Switch
Genre: Party Game
Release Window: December 7th, 2017
Notes: This is a four player board game with mini-games. You''ll probably start noticing a trend between this and Gotouchi Tetsudou last week.

Medabots Classics
Publisher/Developer: Rocket Company
Platform(s): 3DS
Genre: RPG
Release Window: December 21st, 2017
Notes: This is a collection of the first five Medabots games, which appeared on Game Boy and Game Boy Color.

Dragon: Marked for Death
Publisher/Developer: Inti Creates
Genre: Action RPG
Release Window: Winter 2017
Notes: This is a four player co-op 2D sidescroller. It's worth noting it was once a 3DS game back in 2011.

Tear: Owari to Hajimari no Shizuku
Publisher/Developer: Rockin Heart Games
Genre: Visual Novel
Release Window: October 5th, 2017
Notes: This is a visual novel that has VR functionality and is a 1500 yen download only title.

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Publisher/Developer: Gung-Ho/Grasshopper/Marvelous/Shirogumi
Genre: Action
Notes: This is a UE4 based action game, and is the first game Suda51 has directed himself in ages. Suda does note that they have a lot less staff to make the game this time around than with No More Heroes 2.

The Great Ace Attorney
Publisher/Developer: Capcom
Platform(s): iOS/Android
Genre: Adventure
Release Window: September 1st, 2017
Notes: This was a surprise port of The Great Ace Attorney for mobile that was announced and released simultaneously. It's a paid app.

Excluded:
- I thought about it, but decided that Capcom Vancouver games, even if they have a Japanese producer attached (which I'm not sure if this does, but they usually do), should be considered Western games.

Platform running totals:
PS4: 21
Switch: 15
3DS: 6
Vita: 10
PC: 6
XB1: 2
Wii U: 1
Traditional Publisher Mobile: 9

Previous Posts:
Week 1: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245485084&postcount=1638
Week 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246012010&postcount=609
Week 3: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246523180&postcount=575
Week 4: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=247064994&postcount=831

Square2015

Dragon Quest series weekly historical (up to fifth week)
Code:
	DQ1	 DQ2	  DQ3	      DQ4       DQ5	 DQ6	    DQ7	       DQ8	  DQ9	     DQ10     DQ11     
Week 1 ~160,000* ~440,000 ~1,370,000  159,000   684,000	 1,455,000  1,862,065  2,236,881  2,343,440  420,311  2,080,806
Week 2  ~34,000*  ?	     ?	      161,000*  685,000    449,000  1,072,286    559,524    602,856   70,352    426,189
Week 3	 ?	  ?	   ~362,000*  ?         477,000    308,000    329,317    200,033    271,206   45,470    188,250
Week 4	 ?	  ?	   ~193,000*  ?		?          269,000*   154,797    116,731    172,728   20,616    154,130
Week 5   ?        ?          ?        ?         356,000*    80,000     83,918    118,119    106,514   13,616 	 53,251

5 wk tot:?        ?          ?	      ?	        ?           2.563m     3.502m     3.232m     3.497m   0.570m     2.902m
*biweekly/double week
DQ1~3 projections unattested
Data=Famitsu

Ōkami

GEO Top 10

1. [PS4] New Everybody's Golf
  2. [SWI] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver
  3. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  4. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2
  5. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers
  6. [SWI] Splatoon 2
  7. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  8. [PS4] Nights of Azure 2
  9. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  10. [PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations - Unveiled Edition

suicreeps

I want to see if Splatoon will start getting anemic with the Switch or if will continue a small attach rate increase, signs have been good so far but I want to see what a possible baseline will actually affect Switch software since it has been all over the place.

mao2

Maybe I missed it, but what's the lone Wii U title? The only things I'm aware of that are still coming are the final DLC for Zelda and (presumably) Shovel Knight.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245485084&postcount=1638
Dragon Quest X: 5,000 Year Journey to a Faraway Hometown Online
Publisher/Developer: Square Enix
Platform(s): WiiU/PC/PS4/Switch
Genre: MMORPG
Release Window: November 16th, 2017
Notes: This is the fourth expansion pack for Dragon Quest X

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Of the overall market size, that sounds fairly small and I wonder how much of that isn't already centralized in the top. But its a good point, I had thought the market plateau had been a bit more rigid and that the overall growth had largely stagnated. But this ties into the next bullet...

This is actually very interesting because I look at the games I have played (but let's focus on FEH), and almost all of the major spenders are Japanese. Even the biggest whales that we know in our discord for the game are small fry compared to some of the major spenders on the Japanese side of things. Perhaps this skewed my perception to think that there was a huge whale distribution/dependence in Japan, but it would seem it is more likely that Japan has (perhaps?) bigger spenders but less of them and the overall market is supported by a more even distribution in spending. So less whales, more dolphins. That said, putting the spending of the average consumer into the frame of the video game retail market does paint a fairly clear and succinct picture on where the "market went".

It didn't disappear, it just went to a place it more prefers.

So in reality, my understanding was actually skewed in reverse of reality. The market *decentralized* and the major tops are actually more heavily competing with each other and the lower market than I thought. I had thought that the top earners would own almost the entirety of the market.

It does also seem that Japan's "top earners" are very much linked to events and even the smaller titles can shoot up around event cycles and make a good bit of money on these periods even if, for the majority of the time, they hang out not in the top 10. In a year over many titles and many events, this would add up to a fairly significant portion of the market cap total for mobile revenue.

I think the fact that some devs have even started outright porting mobile games to the Switch with positive results shows just how close these markets are becoming. I wouldn't even be surprised if we saw more "more like a handheld" mobile games just outright launch with the Switch selling a version. I look at Implosion, old game as it is, and if Implosion 2 were to come out, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it on both iOS/Droid and Switch on the same day.
Yeah, I think the market slots into place very straightforwardly if we just look at who the people spending money on these games must be.

So the biggest spenders in the Japanese market are in their 30s and 40s. Let's focus on the 30-40 band for a moment. 20 years ago these people would have been 10-20.

In 1997, Final Fantasy VII sold 4 million copies in Japan, and in 1999, Final Fantasy VIII sold 3.5 million copies in Japan.

In 2016, Final Fantasy XV sold 1 million copies in Japan.

A question becomes "Where did all these people who played FF7/FF8 go, especially given they were a mix of core and mainstream gamers? This 2.5-3 million copy gap is gigantic."

The traditional answer has been "Well, they probably went to handhelds, and then eventually stopped gaming." Now, this was probably true, but these days, they're all back, and they're collectively spending $150-$200+ million a year on Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.

The difference in the West is that these people never left PC/consoles, so games went from being about teenage animals with attitude to games where you play father figures raising children, and can spend all your excess free cash buying GTA V suits/sports cars or a BBQ Dad skin for Soldier 76 in Overwatch. The amount of people spending money on microtransactions and DLC for retail games and core oriented PC/console f2p titles in the West tends to be about the same as Japanese mid-core mobile game monetization rates, because they're largely the same demographic.

To be clear though, there are definitely still a lot of whales, in the same way you get people who spend $1000+ on FIFA card packs or buy a 50 pack of crates every Overwatch event.

Maybe I missed it, but what's the lone Wii U title? The only things I'm aware of that are still coming are the final DLC for Zelda and (presumably) Shovel Knight.
Dragon Quest X's newest expansion pack.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Whats surprising for me from road to tgs, why the number of mobile game so little.
There's a few factors:

1.) There's actually decidedly more games getting announced than I'm listing, but almost none of them are reported on English language sites.

2.) Mobile games are still often announced 1-2 months prior to launch, and aren't tied to the holidays, so there's a lot less incentive to announce them at TGS in particular. One of the major draws of TGS for publishers is they can let the public get hands on time with their games, but there's no barrier to getting hands on time with an f2p mobile game like there is with a retail game.

3.) Due to the increased standards in mobile and the service game nature of the products, there are actually a lot less games made overall these days than there were a few years ago. Companies would rather throw 100 staff on an individual mobile game than making 10 separate games from 10 person teams like they used to, and then all that staff sticks around to update the game every two weeks after launch if it's actually successful.

It's kind of like how EA used to put out 80 games a year in 2008, and now puts out 8 games a year, despite having the same amount of staff. They also make way more money these days despite the rise in costs.

Edit:

This does remind me that I forgot The Great Ace Attorney's surprise mobile release.

Edit 2:

For example, I went to go look up some recent game announcements on Famitsu's mobile gaming site. I spotted a new Square Enix mobile rhythm game that was never covered on Gematsu: https://translate.googleusercontent...28350/&usg=ALkJrhiLmHpK75mH8B-Wxx5RYXnU0RGspQ

There's also a new Sangokushi game from Nexon: https://translate.googleusercontent...27687/&usg=ALkJrhj0RBaeEOUVauNKAp1XmyJflWEzvg

Square Enix is also shutting down Final Fantasy Legends II and turning it into a paid app: https://translate.googleusercontent...28228/&usg=ALkJrhhPOWNQ4WSglba4TNLIzd_U07jKww

Square Enix also announced a mobile tie in to their Shrine Maiden anime: https://translate.googleusercontent...25919/&usg=ALkJrhjcNeAkl-p4O00cqNQ7znZxg1_B8g

You can see the amount of stuff that gets missed on the regular. This is just stuff that would have been in this week's write-up.

Damn, that's pretty bomba for Nights of Azure 2 Switch. I expected a bit better results tbh. The Vita version is doing much better than I was hoping for, compared to Switch. That version is such a technical shitshow - why are people buying that? (And why is the Switch version selling much worse?? >.>)
I guess it's an audience problem. Hopefully the Switch version of Atelier will do much better.

Also thanks for another week of Road to TGS, Nirolak!

dracula_x

Seeing as how at this same time last year it was selling only in the ballpark of 6,000, I'd say it's in pretty good shape at the moment. Besides, if this is 'taking a beating', I'd hate to imagine what you thought of the PS3.

Yeah but 6k is litterally deader than dead. It's a testment to just how poorly the Ps4 was actually selling rather than well it is currently doing.

It was 6K last year mainly because of PS4 Slim announcement. Just wait for week 37:

Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  [B]This Week[/B] |  [B]Last Week[/B] |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|  PS4  |     [B]96.433[/B] |        [B]560[/B] |      8.375 |    916.511 |    823.328 |   3.217.591 |

Bye, PS4 DQXI.

Groundhog Day :)

Comgnet last week:

[SWI] Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch ver. - 112
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 66
[PS4] Megadimension Neptunia VIIR - 39
[PS4] Shin Yomawari - 29
[PS4] Megadimension Neptunia VIIR (Memorial Edition) - 26
[SWI] Splatoon 2 - 26
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers - 26
[PSV] Shin Yomawari - 22
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 19
[SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 19
DQXI for PS4 really dropped, no? All the way down to MK8D levels.

and the result:

03./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 30.146 / 1.671.067 (-55%)
04./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥8.980) - 22.600 / 1.314.402 (-54%)

Vena

Damn, that's pretty bomba for Nights of Azure 2 Switch. I expected a bit better results tbh. The Vita version is doing much better than I was hoping for, compared to Switch. That version is such a technical shitshow - why are people buying that? (And why is the Switch version selling much worse?? >.>)
I guess it's an audience problem. Hopefully the Switch version of Atelier will do much better.

Also thanks for another week of Road to TGS, Nirolak!

I am unsure on what basis you expected this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Also thanks for another week for Road to TGS, Nirolak!

Okay lets slow down for a bit....even with Switch software selling reasonably well. The system installed base is still quite a bit lower compared to other plattforms - so there is a limit to how many games can sell/perform solid at the same time. Especially when talking about such niche releases.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are people expecting Koei Tecmo's games to do well on Switch?

I just assumed they'd all tank except maybe the Nintendo branded ones.

cw_sasuke

Well enough to justify the port costs and building up the fanbase for future releases ? Yes.
Its not just about top or flop for publishers that release so many games - the PS4 wouldnt have gotten any release in the first 18 months if only the PS4 versions performance was the deciding factor.

The next KT releases might not have Vita versions, in addition the fact of the rising Switch install base naturally will result in higher Switch software sales. Having the engines and devs ready for Switch releases on year 1 was the priority. The Switch will be here for a couple of years.

kinger256

Sorry, didn't catch your post earlier. We have physical numbers from publishers and they end up being close to the data from Media Create/Famitsu, so we know they're accurate. However Famitsu digital estimates tend to be less accurate, we had instances where the official number was way off compared to the Famitsu estimate. It's still an useful data though.

Just because certain games are off doesn't mean data physical is more accurate than digital for all games. In fact for all we know a lot physical data could be inaccurate, but the problem is we just don't have enough numbers to fully verify them. If you trust Famitsu's physical data, there is no reason to distrust their digital data.

I was responding to a person who disregarded certain numbers because they didn't fit their preconditioned expectations. This is ridiculous. If we start to cherry pick which numbers we trust and distrust, sales discussions would lead nowhere.

extralite

Okay lets slow down for a bit....even with Switch software selling reasonably well. The system installed base is still quite a bit lower compared to other plattforms - so there is a limit to how many games can sell/perform solid at the same time. Especially when talking about such niche releases.

Usually niche games have no problem reaching their full potential even on a low install base because the audience are enthusiasts who buy new hardware as early as they can. But since the Switch is so supply constrained even though the niche audience probably wanted to buy a Switch, most of them were not able to so far. So I agree, these releases should get better sales when the installment base increases.

casiopao

Just because certain games are off doesn't mean data physical is more accurate than digital for all games. In fact for all we know a lot physical data could be inaccurate, but the problem is we just don't have enough numbers to fully verify them. If you trust Famitsu's physical data, there is no reason to distrust their digital data.

I was responding to a person who disregarded certain numbers because they didn't fit their preconditioned expectations. This is ridiculous. If we start to cherry pick which numbers we trust and distrust, sales discussions would lead nowhere.

Because famitsu digital had been proven often that the number is not accurate. How hard is to see that? They are wrong on Splatoon number and now with Splat2. Thats why we never fully uses those number.

cw_sasuke

Usually niche games have no problem reaching their full potential even on a low install base because the audience are enthusiasts who buy new hardware as early as they can. But since the Switch is so supply constrained even though the niche audience probably wanted to buy a Switch, most of them were not able to so far. So I agree, these releases should get better sales when the installment base increases.

When they are on 3 systems ? A niche games stays niche even if its released on 5 instead of one or two systems. ..so the number of people who own a Switch but not any of the other systems and is interested in this game will be rather slow.

More importantly KT publishes most of their titles worldwide nowadays - they are building up the Switch to be their 3rd pillar between PC and consoles.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Famitsu digital estimates are the best thing we have for digital and certainly much closer to reality from everything else out there.

extralite

When they are on 3 systems ? A niche games stays niche even if its released on 5 instead of one or two systems. ..so the number of people who own a Switch but not any of the other systems and is interested in this game will be rather slow.

More importantly KT publishes most of their titles worldwide nowadays - they are building up the Switch to be their 3rd pillar between PC and consoles.

My intention was to preempt arguments about games like these doing well even on low install base PS3/Vita/PS4. I agree with your original point, I just added a defense to the window you left open.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

There's difference between not doing well, and not even charting. That's what I'm thinking

kinger256

Because famitsu digital had been proven often that the number is not accurate. How hard is to see that? They are wrong on Splatoon number and now with Splat2. Thats why we never fully uses those number.

Just because one or two games are off doesn't mean the whole set of data regarding digital is off too. I mean why do you trust physical data then? We see major differences between trackers all the time. One of them must be wrong. By your logic, shouldn't these data also be considered inaccurate?

Just because one or two games are off doesn't mean the whole set of data regarding digital is off too. I mean why do you trust physical data then? We see major differences between trackers all the time. One of them must be wrong. By your logic, shouldn't these data also be considered inaccurate?

Their sample size for physical sales is huge enough that any significant discrepancies with other trackers not due to download cards are few and far between.

Meanwhile, every time we get real digital sales numbers, Famitsu's digital estimates are proven wrong. They're nowhere near as consistently reliable as their physical numbers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Meanwhile, every time we get real digital sales numbers, Famitsu's digital estimates are proven wrong. They're nowhere near as consistently reliable as their physical numbers.

That's not the case, what are these games that are so off? Certainly not Splatoon I see mentioned.

edit: Speaking for Splatoon and how much Nintendo messed the digital numbers

After 4 weeks

total: 368.000 (sales)
retail: 310.582
digital: ~58.000

After 22 weeks

total: 905.000 (sales)
retail: 737.478
digital: ~168.000

After 45 weeks

total: 1.490.000 (shipments)
retail: 1.318.600
digital: <171.000

I am unsure on what basis you expected this.

I expected the Switch version to actually chart, but even that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, the Vita version is a technical disaster, which made me think that people would shift toward either PS4 (the other PS system) or Switch (the other portable). Either way makes sell Vita sales. As extralite pointed out, the niche audience are usually early adopters and Gust is clearly showing that the PS4/Switch combo is the way they're going forward. That doesn't mean that all Gust fans are buying a Switch of course, but after a couple of terrible ports before (and the weak sales of Blue Reflection on Vita), I expect most to have switched over to PS4 or Switch. With the premise of charting, I expected the difference in sales between Vita and Switch to be smaller (although in practice that would probably still be a factor of 2 to 3).

Pachael

And from the review reaction, i think this one is the one actually going to have chance of doing quite good for S-E.^^

S-E have had a regular output of mobile titles in the last few months and they seem really intent on putting money in the sector, which is good.

Similarly, The Idolmaster is a straight up rhythm game with console quality graphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIXWYeRcxBw

As good as that was, that's from June 2016. The leap from that to what we find in June 2017 is well into early (?) PS3 graphics especially in Theater Days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmKTRz_K_w

To me it looks like the PS4 Platinum Stars game squished into mobile. That game (of which I'm an owner sold 90k last year, and that was 88th overall last year.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427978

This is compared to Theater Days' at least 3.9 million downloads reach.
http://senpaigamer.com/idolmaster-m...390-million-jewels-from-28th-of-july-26072017

3.) There is some decentralization of the money being spent. Most notably, at their height, Puzzle & Dragons and Monster Strike were earning $4-$5 million a day. These days they're more in the $1-$2.5 million range, and the market size has increased dramatically since the time they were making that, so there's a lot more cash to go around to all the other titles. These days you have a lot more $100K to $2 million a day hits, which are all very profitable endeavors. $100K a day works out to $36.5 million a year, so you could even be averaging half that and making a financially significant profit on a lot of mobile titles.

I hope that helps make a bit more sense of the mobile market. In a lot of ways, it's actually pretty similar to the console one, if you just pretended every console game was a service title, or at minimum a singleplayer game like Hitman.

So in reality, my understanding was actually skewed in reverse of reality. The market *decentralized* and the major tops are actually more heavily competing with each other and the lower market than I thought. I had thought that the top earners would own almost the entirety of the market.

This is good, as this shows that the market is starting to mature and is able to support multiple titles even if not all of them are making the kind of money the top X titles make like Monster Strike.

For me I see this an evolution of the gaming model at large since the arcade days which then slowly transitioned to console/PC, and branched out to dedicated gaming handhelds then mobile. I recall the Virtua Fighter 5 service model when that game was first released, which followed a regular(ish) pattern of updates, characters and versions. It doesn't surprise that as graphics power increases and the form size of equivalent computing power miniaturizes and ends up in more people's hands then ever, that service gaming moves onto these platforms.

Switch version was supposed to prevent the decline and prove that these games can sell on Switch, so i am pretty sure it's a big problem.

It's always funny how a single flop on a Nintendo system proves there's no market for that sort of game, while on other systems it's just a thing that happens

Laplasakos

It's always funny how a single flop on a Nintendo system proves there's no market for that sort of game, while on other systems it's just a thing that happens

Maybe i am over reacting but i doubt Atelier will sell better (Amazon pre orders are not painting a good picture for Switch version). I'll be happy to proven wrong though.

LordKano

"The decline on every most games on Playstation platforms? It happens on other systems too, not a big deal too"
"A switch version of one of these declining games didn't sell well ?! Quick, light all the red alarms, the boat is sinking !"

Top Bottom