• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armband-wearing Nazi roams Seattle instigating, gets KOed, removes armband and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
And First Amendment speech works quite well over here. In my opinion better than the euro-style hate speech laws.
Lol. If we actually had hate speech laws like Europe and Canada we most likely wouldn't have Nazis parading around in the streets killing people and fascists in the White House right now.

The Constitution is an archaic document made by a bunch of rich white slave owners back when the country was just an agricultural backwater and the only mode of land transportation was horse and buggy. It is not infallible.

Enzom21

I was only trying to speak from my personal anecdotal experience actively fighting hate groups. I've never had to fight nazis in real life through speech or violence. The situation has never come up. I suppose I actively oppose them with my political positions on a daily basis. What about you?
Still a whole of nothing from a person who thinks they know what other people should or shouldn't be doing when it comes to nazis.
These two posts are ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous and why we cannot have civil fucking discourse on this board anymore. I speak up against violence and point out the logical fallacy in asking minorities to take up arms against white supremacists and I am called a racist afraid of a black rebellion. The kind of mental hoops you have to take to get there is astonishing.
No hoops, that's the nonsense you've been posting here. You're defending a nazi who was trying to start fights with people which you seem to be perfectly okay with because "that's what nazis do".
Then you pull this what if the blacks just started attacking white supremacy nonsense.
Your shit is transparent.

If you don't think I can clearly see the vast gulf between a punch to the face and being detained and tortured indefinitely, then you're being willfully obtuse.

Because of the larger scale and more systematic nature of Guantanamo, of course I feel more strongly about it than isolated cases of punching a nazi

But I feel the two are similar on principle

Both are preventative violence against representatives of abhorrent ideologies without due process.

I had a rough time sleeping last night, and this led to having a grumpy grouchy morning.

Then I saw a Nazi get knocked the fuck out.

Now I feel better.

Radical islamists aren't in the fucking white house. Radical islamists aren't getting easy pardons because "criticizing them will only entrench their views." No one is killed by a cop because that officer secretly has an ISIS flag in their basement.

All of these issues you allude to here are obviously abhorrent and should be addressed yesterday

Kthulhu

Lol. If we actually had hate speech laws like Europe and Canada we most likely wouldn't have Nazis parading around in the streets killing people and fascists in the White House right now.

The Constitution is an archaic document made by a bunch of rich white slave owners back when the country was just an agricultural backwater and the only mode of land transportation was horse and buggy. It is not infallible.

Not to mention it's a living document that can be altered at will.

SummitAve

Banned
Radical islamists aren't in the fucking white house. Radical islamists aren't getting easy pardons because "criticizing them will only entrench their views." No one is killed by a cop because that officer secretly has an ISIS flag in their basement.

Saudia Arabia and Saudia nationals deserve more credit than this...

Llyranor

Maybe he'll throw the first punch next time. Or use a weapon to bring physical harm to someone. Progress? I don't think you can say he won't harass people. Things worked out okay today. It's tomorrow I'm worried about.
It's true, we wouldn't want to provoke him. Why don't we give him Austria, and Czechoslovakia while we're at it. Hopefully that will keep him mellow.

Jumeira

Banned
He sqaured up to a lad that can clearly take care of himself, what did he expect? Besides the obvious provocation with the arm band.

Was he not left crying in a hotel room afterwards? I believe he was pepper sprayed earlier in the day, but violence against him did not have him crying.

He pepper sprayed his own sorry Nazi ass.

And yeah, he needs to be beaten, give him a real reason to cry. Sorry not sorry.

Briarios

I still don't get where people think that that symbol isn't suppose to provoke a response. Like the whole point is to rile people up. Dude gets a response he doesn't like and suddenly the world is suppose to care that a dude wearing a swastika in 2017 got punched? Why should we feel bad for him? It's like not a slippery slope at all.

I've seen dudes get punched for talking mad shit and the squad was just like "he provoked it, talk shit, risk getting hit". A Nazi does it and we are going "this isn't the way!!" The way to what? Dude who threw the punch wasn't trying to end racism lol.

I think there are a couple different things going on in here ... For me, I get the provoked response attack. I'm half-Jewish, I get having a swastika thrown in your face makes you want to lay the guy out.

What I'm not ok with is a coordinated effort to hunt the guy down and attack him. For me, that's a line too far.

SummitAve

Banned
Still a whole of nothing from a person who thinks they know what other people should or shouldn't be doing when it comes to nazis.

No hoops, that's the nonsense you've been posting here. You're defending a nazi who was trying to start fights with people which you seem to be perfectly okay with because "that's what nazis do".
Then you pull this what if the blacks just started attacking white supremacy nonsense.
Your shit is transparent.

You apparently know what to do, so what have you personally done to fight hate groups? Why did you skip over that question? I'm assuming it's a lot since you're telling people their business. Inform me.

Jakten

Are there any studies about radical ideologies and leaving that mindset? It's weird how people believe they can't be helped.

Of course you can deprogram some of these people but you have to remember that they are still also extremely dangerous. Proper authorities have proven they aren't interested in helping to curtail their radicalization and your average citizen isn't going to be able to get through to them because they don't have the resources and it's already proven these people are irrational and unwilling to seek change on their own. It would take far more than just a calm conversation or two to change something that deeply ingrained, it's like deprogramming from a cult. It's just too dangerous to let them harass people and spread hatred considering what their end goal is. As nice as it would be to help these people the protection of those they hate is infinitely more important.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fuck you, that's not at all what I'm in implying. Minorities are under no obligation to fix the problems that they had no place in creating. I would never suggest it even home at that. That was directly in response to the total dehumanization of someone saying they can't be saved and so should basically be attacked.

Why do you have such a problem with the fact that these people can be broken of their racist ideology? I see constant push back that these people can be helped.

Listen, you walk around with a Nazi armband, you're going to get punched at some point ... The issue I have is groups organizing to commit violence. There are better ways to intervene. Maybe they'll work, maybe they won't ... But the nonviolent attempt should always come first.
Then stop fucking posting this Daryl Davis bullshit? A woman was killed only a month ago and this motherfucker thinks himself still to be right in walking down the street with a big fat Nazi emblem on his arm, harassing passersby.

You tell me how interested he is in civil discourse.

Cipherr

Or next time he brings a weapon for self defense and someone gets killed.

Yeah, what if the Nazis kill someon..

Here in Portland a belligerent white supremacist riding public transit and accosting minorities killed two men and seriously injured a third.

A Nazi stabbed and killed a black college student here in Maryland just around graduation time this past May.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/2...t-charged-with-murder-in-deadly-stabbing.html

And here's an article of more murders by these far right lunatics for you to gracefully ignore in favor of your hypothetical future murder victim.

Because its just a Tuesday when some Nazi kills some person of color. But its a WHOLE NOTHA LEVEL when a Nazi gets his clock cleaned and "might retaliate".

I find it hilarious that you really think anyone buys this concern trolling nonsense. If it was murder you cared about, you would have been upset long before this.

norm9

I think there are a couple different things going on in here ... For me, I get the provoked response attack. I'm half-Jewish, I get having a swastika thrown in your face makes you want to lay the guy out.

What I'm not ok with is a coordinated effort to hunt the guy down and attack him. For me, that's a line too far.

The other perspective of telling people where the nazi is, is to warn people that you have a person that's okay with genocidal murder coming your way.

Kreed

T55oe8f.jpg

yd3ul5U.jpg

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Shouldn't the title be changed? As far as we know, the puncher was just a rando that encountered a Nazi on the street, right?

So here we are, taking pity and normalizing the people that supports the mass killing of +6million people.

We truly never learn....

Every generation or so, culture changes rapidly. A lot of what a historian does, is dissecting recorded history through different periods to see how the biased narrative changes.
People today are further removed the horrors of WW2 than our grandparents generation. In a thousand years, people might talk about Adolf Hitler, how we talk about Alexander the Great or Ghenkis Khan today. All it takes is time, because human beings don't really give a shit about anything other than what is closest to them. The world is too big, there is too much death, and your main concern is just keeping those alive who are most important to you. Everything else is then like layers that losses importance as you go further out towards irrelevance.

The nazi-children anology is silly, but I think a lot of you are wrong to dismiss hypotheticals. If you're not willing to engage in the hypothetical of someone you're discussing someone with, then there is no discussion. And that goes on the part of you wanted to be understood.
To say that violence is okay against neo-nazis because if we don't do anything, then they will take over. That statement is a hypothetical. A shitpost response to that would be to say that it is a slippery slope and dismiss it. Let's all be above that, and instead of meme driveby shitposting peoples concerns, then actually spend the time to argue for why/why not, various outplays might come to pass. This is predicting the future will screening for ramifications and consequences of normalizing behavior.

If trump supporters and conservatives by extensions are neo-nazi sympathizers and deplorable, how thin is the line or veil, where violence is okay against them?
Or people wearing the confederate flag. A symbol of hate- Why not go out and actively harm them? The main argument here is that, you are basically the symbol you wear. If you scream you're in ISIS, you're in ISIS. If you wear the neo-nazi symbols, you're a neo-nazi.

That seems like a pretty low level and rudimentary way to dig yourself into an ideological hole to justify violence. And that is a slippery slope. Because collective guilt has a habit of getting a lot of people killed- The class prosecution which the hammer and sickle represents- a symbol which is responsible for even more death and mayham than the swastika proves that.

If you fuck with other people, of course you're going to get hurt. But I can easily see this sort of antics evolving into something where it becomes much more justifiable to hurt someone because they wear a symbol that represents hate. You cannot really have it both ways or look at this in a vacuum.
And really, the right is going to internalize and excuse it themselves. It's okay to demolish someone who wear the hammer and sickle, because what it represents directly hurt someone close to them in the past. No critical thinking needed. No separation of just standing passively, from the act itself.
And it worries me, we don't vet one another. Mob justice is scary if you can snap a picture of someone, and get them assaulted relatively quickly.
The line between nazis and being a republican is getting very close, and I don't know if it's because republicans are becoming nazis en masse, or if conservatism always had a lot in common with fascism. After all, many of your founding fathers were authoritarian a frighteningly idea.
At the core of fascism is nationalism, and I don't know a country that is more entrenched in its own patriotism than America.

I really worry, that 5-10-20 years from now, that this behavior and behavioral mode of responding to things I hate with violence, will have mainifested itself into another form, like a boomerang. It makes sense today and everyone is happy, but then as the decades roll by, the political climate changes and suddenly it takes a dark turn. It has in the past.

Don't forget that nazis are ordinary people, and if you lived in 1930s Germany, the statistical likelihood is that you would have been nazi too. If we fall into this pitfall where we further distance ourselves, we risk repeating past mistakes, where we give ourselves the morale highground to cleanse evil with violence, because we're above it.
We really are not. So we should not respond with authoritarian violence- Which hunting nazis is. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. It makes sense today, we all benefit today, but we don't know or care what it could lead to. Which to me is just intellectually laziness to look at this in a vacuum.

647492.jpg

This is an awesome book about how german soldiers get psychologically tricked into committing the mass atrocities. It's not that these people are inhumane devils, but that through the absolvement of self as part of their group structuring, becomes part of a whole. And then it literally becomes a slippery slope.
The behavior here exactly the same that caused American soldiers to torture prisoners in Abu Ghrabi or commit other atrocities through its conflicts.

Merc_

You apparently know what to do, so what have you personally done to fight hate groups? Why did you skip over that question? I'm assuming it's a lot since you're telling people their business. Inform me.

Why are you still here? There are Nazis to talk to and convert. Get to it already. I'm sure we can also point you to some right wing sites that you can go and wag your finger at too.

Briarios

The other perspective of telling people where the nazi is, is to warn people that you have a person that's okay with genocidal murder coming your way.

Not arguing that, but the way that it was presented is as more of a hunt. I totally get the distrust of police, but calling them as well and letting them know that someone is wearing a Nazi armband and trying to provoke stuff does work from time to time. Probably better to try that before suggesting civilians hunt him down.

It's true, we wouldn't want to provoke him. Why don't we give him Austria, and Czechoslovakia while we're at it. Hopefully that will keep him mellow.
I know you think you're being clever, but this isn't the same thing. We have the tools to develop civil means to stamp this out.

SummitAve

Banned
Why are you still here? There are Nazis to talk to and convert. Get to it already. I'm sure we can also point you to some right wing sites that you can go and wag your finger at too.

How many nazis have you punched and converted? Why are you here?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldn't the title be changed? As far as we know, the puncher was just a rando that encountered a Nazi on the street, right?
This. All this linking to Antifa is unfounded. People just tweeted about the dude because he was walking around with a Swastika and harassing folks.

Nepenthe

Not arguing that, but the way that it was presented is as more of a hunt. I totally get the distrust of police, but calling them as well and letting them know that someone is wearing a Nazi armband and trying to provoke stuff does work from time to time. Probably better to try that before suggesting civilians hunt him down.

What could the cops have done in that situation aside from break up the escalation and tell everyone to go away? Freeze peach and all of that means he can't be silenced by law nor forced to take off his armband.

To say nothing of the white supremacist infection of our law enforcement that allowed a Nazi to shoot at people in Charlottesville and beat a black man and largely get away with it, but that's another story.

MUnited83

For you.
These two posts are ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous and why we cannot have civil fucking discourse on this board anymore. I speak up against violence and point out the logical fallacy in asking minorities to take up arms against white supremacists and I am called a racist afraid of a black rebellion. The kind of mental hoops you have to take to get there is astonishing.

On the contrary. I am glad people who are NOT minorities are upset about discrimination against minorities. Be it against people of color, creed or sexual orientation. What I was pointing out was that as a minority and as a person whose close circle is just simply more minorities, we NEVER talk about violence like this. Self defense, sure. But going out and punching nazis and other racists we deal with on a daily basis? Never. I just wanted to know if i have been living in my own bubble where we dont just go out looking for trouble.

I guess so.

Dude, you made a fucking argument where punching a nazi would lead to black rebellion, and you fucking anything on your fucking argument "logical"? You are the one making ridiculously ass dumb claims, not me.

Foggy

Why is it? A poster declared punching all nazis is cool always. I brought up nazis that everyone agreed it wouldn't be cool to punch. Why is it so dumb?

Congratulations, you proved that punching a Nazi strawberry is counter-productive. Pack it up.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Well I enjoyed it. I mean if you're going to walk around wearing Nazi shit and harass people you deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom