• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Utah cheerleaders chanting racial slur being investigated by district

rjinaz

Kind of a slippery slope. I can understand the offense but at most they will be disciplined not much else.

They were saying racial slurs and they are representing their school. How is this a slippery slope? How about this, if you want to cheerlead for your school, don't say racial slurs. Slope avoided.

But yes of course nothing will happen to these little racist darlings, I'm sure those that will make the ultimate decision can relate to the want to say the N word.

Should we really destroy these precious white angels HS lives (and maybe beyond) over this? If anything this is an absolutely great moment for black girls to reach out to these girls and show the solidarity that comes from seeing things from multiple perspectives. The black girls will also take away something from this, and as such we move forward as a country.

Let these girls have fun and make mistakes, they're just kids and it's just a word. Posting this video was wrong, stuff like that is how you push people to trump. They can't even joke with friends anymore, everything is just too PC. Let's be real, who hasn't jokingly said nigger or made nigger jokes? Who hasn't in the heat of the moment playing a videogame called someone a nigger? This is as normal as burning down trees in the forest, typical teenage antics. Rappers say it.
Now this, this is art. Perfect.

Aesthet1c

So one of those girls are a daughter of a co-worker of my wife's.

Apparently it's not so cut and dry. The girls were dared by another classmate to send him a video of them shouting "surgeon cuff". The video then got reversed and posted to Instagram.

It's still a shitty situation all around and who knows if the girls clued into what they were doing when they filmed it.

roknin

There has to be at least one who dreams of working for Fox News

Fox News is looking over their credentials as we speak. Prolly about to get a full ride through college.

Apparently it's not so cut and dry. The girls were dared by another classmate to send him a video of them shouting "surgeon cuff". The video then got reversed and posted to Instagram.

It's still a shitty situation all around and who knows if the girls clued into what they were doing when they filmed it.

If that's the case then that is legitimately fucked up.

Life lesson: the is why you don't take dares from anyone*, not even "BFFs."

Johndoey

Banned

Bullshit.

zero_suit

Nah, sounds like bullshit.

Surfinn

That honestly doesn't sound very believable. Why would they all get together and say nonsensical shit, post it online, then have no idea what it meant? I dunno

Whoa.

Yeah that video seemed off to me, especially at the end.

Is the "surgeon cuff" thing well known? If those girls didn't know, then fault's on whoever knew and dared them, but if they did know, then that's just as bad as them out right saying it.

Ferrio

Banned

I don't buy it due to how it was said. They drew out the Fuck. You wouldn't do that unless realized what you were really saying.

Plausible deniability, the one of the first defenses that's always used.

rjinaz

I mean of course they are going to say that. It's the whole point of the whole "do it backwards" thing, so there can be some deniability. This was probably going around the whole school. 5 girls are going to yell (hilariously to them) random words like "surgeon cuff" like it means something because they were dared?

I don't buy it. But nothing is going to happen anyway so it's moot I guess.

The Kree

Banned

This sounds like bullshit.

Aesthet1c

Bullshit.

That honestly doesn't sound very believable. Why would they all get together and say nonsensical shit, post it online, then have no idea what it meant? I dunno

Again, that's the story I heard. And it might just be a case of that's what the girl told her mom to try to avoid getting in trouble. The video is definitely playing in reverse though. The big question is whether or not they knew what it would turn out to be in reverse.

Surfinn

Again, that's the story I heard. And it might just be a case of that's what the girl told her mom to try to avoid getting in trouble. The video is definitely playing in reverse though. The big question is whether or not they knew what it would turn out to be in reverse.

Just saying, I work with HS students for a living and given the context of what you said (surely there's more to the story), it does sound like some crazy damage control on somebody's part. This is totally something kids would do for attention.

Hopefully they just had no idea but I seriously doubt it.

Madness

What is funny how so many are more upset at them potentially being doxxed as a federal and illegal crime on twitter. The person said that was literally on their bios and there is no crime against doxxing either. Maybe against twitter ToS. But they've pretty much guaranteed their future won't go as planned because of this.

Tagyhag

So what's more believable, that the girls fell for a stupid prank or that they purposely said surgeon cuff while knowing that it would get reversed and get in trouble?

Because that video is in reverse for a reason.

In that video, the U pronunciation from one of the girls is drawn out. You dont pronounce the vowel in "cuff" that way normally. So either she said "fuck niggers" or she said "surgeon cuff" knowing full well what it would sound like in reverse, and enunciated "cuff" so the U in "fuck" would be drawn out. And why are their expressions in the video so guilty? They LOOK like they KNOW theyre up to no good.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

While they very well may be saying "Surgeon Cuffs" and the video is also very likely reversed, I don't buy for a second they didn't know what was going on.

Why would they laugh at just saying "Surgeon Cuffs"? There's nothing inherently amusing about saying that... unless of course they thought they were being clever by saying something else.

rjinaz

What is funny how so many are more upset at them potentially being doxxed as a federal and illegal crime on twitter. The person said that was literally on their bios and there is no crime against doxxing either. Maybe against twitter ToS. But they've pretty much guaranteed their future won't go as planned because of this.

I mean these are kids, well under 18 I mean I presume. I'd just be happy if they got removed from being cheerleaders for a year. Real life has consequences and these ladies need to learn that.

Has anybody taken the video and reversed it back? The result may give a clue as to whether they were deliberately angling for the result they got.

Naw. Bullshit.

Has anybody taken the video and reversed it back? The result may give a clue as to whether they were deliberately angling for the result they got.

They were. You wouldnt draw out the U enunciation in "cuff" unless you knew it would be reversed to sound like "fuuuuuck".

So what's more believable, that the girls fell for a stupid prank or that they purposely said surgeon cuff while knowing that it would get reversed and get in trouble?

Because that video is in reverse for a reason.

No its more plausible that these girls thought it was a cute way of saying "fuck off niggers" and have plausible deniability if they got caught.

fastmower

Should we really destroy these precious white angels HS lives (and maybe beyond) over this? If anything this is an absolutely great moment for black girls to reach out to these girls and show the solidarity that comes from seeing things from multiple perspectives. The black girls will also take away something from this, and as such we move forward as a country.

Let these girls have fun and make mistakes, they're just kids and it's just a word. Posting this video was wrong, stuff like that is how you push people to trump. They can't even joke with friends anymore, everything is just too PC. Let's be real, who hasn't jokingly said nigger or made nigger jokes? Who hasn't in the heat of the moment playing a videogame called someone a nigger? This is as normal as burning down trees in the forest, typical teenage antics. Rappers say it.
You're a smart person

rjinaz

No its more plausible that these girls thought it was a cute way of saying "fuck off niggers" and have plausible deniability if they got caught.

Yeah I seriously doubt they thought anybody would see this maybe other than their friend. The idea that somebody wouldn't say something stupid on video because it could get out is proven false, well pretty much every day.

HiiiLife

Northern Utah is my hometown and I ALWAYS hated driving through that part of Ogden. Always got Get Out vibes from the folk there.

rtcn63

Wouldn't "surgeon cuff" in reverse sound more like "fuck nijrus"? Like that's a soft G.

Tagyhag

True, but I think you're giving them too much credit.

I guess it depends on how smart someone thinks the average high schooler is.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

While its far more likely they are just trying to be fucking cute and pretend they they are victim. While getting to say it.

I didn't put two and two together on the surgeon cuff till the last few posts. So there is a very slim fucking chance, but with how excited the group look. I highly doubt they didn't know exactly what they were doing.

Shadybiz

In that video, the U pronunciation from one of the girls is drawn out. You dont pronounce the vowel in "cuff" that way normally. So either she said "fuck niggers" or she said "surgeon cuff" knowing full well what it would sound like in reverse, and enunciated "cuff" so the U in "fuck" would be drawn out. And why are their expressions in the video so guilty? They LOOK like they KNOW theyre up to no good.

Agree with this assessment. Given the pronunciation, IF they were being pranked, the person pranking them would have to specifically tell them to draw out the "U" like that, and unless they were really, REALLY fucking stupid, you'd think that at least one of them would have started to put together that they were being duped.

Edit; Yeah and rtcn63 is right...the "g" would have been softer.

surgeon cuff

whats-the-truth-stop-sign-oprah.gif

HiiiLife

The even funnier thing is a person on twitter claiming to be the sibling to one of the girls. Saying they didn’t realize it was gonna be uploaded.

So it’s cool to say racist shit on the low key???? Lmao.

rjinaz

What exactly does an investigation of this sort entail?

Probably just talking to the girls and then whoever posted, shared the video. I doubt there will be more than that. It's not a crime to say hate speech, sadly. My guess is they get off the team for a month and can't go to dances for the rest of the year or something like that.

Top Bottom