• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Utah cheerleaders chanting racial slur being investigated by district

sangreal

I mean they are very clearly using a hard G, that's not how you say surgeon and it only makes sense they would say it that way to get the N word.

they weren't saying surgeon

the girl who posted it on instagram wrote it out as serggin cuff

they knew what they were doing

rjinaz

they weren't saying surgeon

the girl who posted it on instagram wrote it out as serggin cuff

they knew what they were doing

Ah ok. I was going off of what the earlier poster posted that claims to have a connection to them that they were saying surgeon cuff.

But yeah unless they are dumb as sticks they should have figured out nonsense words are probably backwards. It's BS.

Ovid

So one of those girls are a daughter of a co-worker of my wife's.

Apparently it's not so cut and dry. The girls were dared by another classmate to send him a video of them shouting "surgeon cuff". The video then got reversed and posted to Instagram.

It's still a shitty situation all around and who knows if the girls clued into what they were doing when they filmed it.

Someone posted the video playing forwards in the article's comments

Seems pretty intentional to me when it was backwards, but w/e

I mean they are very clearly using a hard G, that's not how you say surgeon and it only makes sense they would say it that way to get the N word.
So sick of racists getting the benefit of the doubt.

It's clearly a hard G.

sangreal

Ah ok. I was going off of what the earlier poster posted that claims to have a connection to them that they were saying surgeon cuff.

oh I see

I was going off an article that said the girl posted it to instagram, but Aesthetic says someone else did so who knows

but they clearly aren't saying surgeon. probably practiced too

noquarter

Definitely intentional and they knew exactly what they were doing. Why the fuck would you say "serggin cuff" multiplle times like that?

Though for damage control they should upload a Sofa King video.

Limit

Apparently it's not so cut and dry. The girls were dared by another classmate to send him a video of them shouting "surgeon cuff". The video then got reversed and posted to Instagram.

It's still a shitty situation all around and who knows if the girls clued into what they were doing when they filmed it.

Yikes.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, people randomly dare each other to say a nonsense word and then you record the video while you drive and multiple friends say it while giggling it up? It's obviously revered but there's no way they didn't know what they were saying.

Damage control at its finest. Tell them to name the student that dared them to say "sergin cuff" and then tell them to explain why they were so happy and ecstatic to do so.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So, people randomly dare each other to say a nonsense word and then you record the video while you drive and multiple friends say it while giggling it up? It's obviously revered but there's no way they didn't know what they were saying.
Pretty much
They ain't clever

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

People are responding to this poster's assertion that they were dared to say "surgeon cuffs"

Edit: just saw that ninja edit

rjinaz

what the fuck.

Just look at the joy in their eyes when they're saying it.

This is ridiculous

I can tell you how my teenage niece would look if she actually was tricked into this, she would look incredulous, like this is stupid, and maybe unsure. Any of those expressions would have hinted at a trick.

These girls were very certain and thrilled at what they were saying.

Arkeband

Banned
“Hey hold your tongue and say Apple”
“no it’ll sound like I’m saying asshole”
“Hey everyone chant nonsense words into your phone”
“OK”

I could believe they were dared to say serggin cuff or whatever, it just means you gotta point the finger at the person who dared ya or else your reason is suuuuusssssssssspect.

“Hey hold your tongue and say Apple”
“no it’ll sound like I’m saying asshole”
“Hey everyone chant nonsense words into your phone”
“OK”
Exactly. If you don't know what the result will be, you're not going to scream it over and over while laughing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There's nothing funny about 'serggin cuff' but there is something funny about these girls' excuse.

MIMIC

Banned
Watching a news report where they say that the school says that the students seemed to be using an app that plays whatever they upload in reverse.

Relevant part at 1:30

EDIT: Didn't watch the video to the end. It descends into some random trash.

1upsuper

I hope someone calmly explains to them that they will never get jobs, and that they have permanently ruined their reputations. Try as they might, they will never remove the stain of racism they so gleefully spilled on themselves for all to see.

III-V

I hope someone calmly explains to them that they will never get jobs, and that they have permanently ruined their reputations. Try as they might, they will never remove the stain of racism they so gleefully spilled on themselves for all to see.

But that would not be true. They will get jobs, become wives, mothers or lead out their lives how they see fit. They are very young.

It’s a sad state of affairs to see racism so engrained into our youth’s coulture. America is poisoned and sick, emboldened by a disgusting president and administration.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Yeah, there's something up here. That last girl in particular comes across super distorted as if reversed.

Edit: Guess that was the point.

Even when not playing the video in reverse, something is really really off about it, like it's still distorted somehow. A bit unnerving.

norm9

Haven't watched the vid, but if they're hot, I'm sure they're really sorry. Kids, ya know.

But that would not be true. They will get jobs, become wives, mothers or lead out their lives how they see fit. They are very young.

It’s a sad state of affairs to see racism so engrained into our youth’s coulture. America is poisoned and sick, emboldened by a disgusting president and administration.

Racism is actually a feature.

This is hilarious and the best excuse I've heard yet that I can't even be mad at such bull

Edit: omg you might be right? Whoaaaoaoaoa

Still they knew what they were saying regardless.

So who actually uploaded the video using the reverse app? That shouldn't be too difficult to find out. If it was one of the girls, then obviously there is no doubt that it was intentional and at least they should be suspended. But if somebody outside the group did it without them knowing, then I can definitely see them just going along with it without knowing that "sergon cuf" can be reversed into a racial slur. I have never head of this before, and if somebody said that phrase to me, the thought of how it would sound in reverse would never cross my mind. If somebody actually did that to them, then that is some really evil shit. The sad thing is, given today's social climate, they probably knew exactly what they were doing.

Jeels

I mean, if I were a cheerleader I'd be worried about getting a job too. This is a classic case of economic anxiety.

Bruh...I just said surgeon cuff backwards on Snap just for a test..Yea it doest really work, and doesn't flow right like the video. They knew wtf they were doing, and just said that shit backwards.

stop this meme. My entire family works with special needs and mentally ill, challenging the narrative that mental illness is at times a factor in atrocities and such does nothing but diminish the work my family does. You may think its used as nothing but a cop out for white male criminals but if white male criminals help increase funding for mental health research and workers through this narrative than all the better.

It really is a disgusting meme that appears every time without fail

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Hmmmmmmmmm

Yeah, not convinced. Willing to be wrong, hope so, doubt it.

Top Bottom