• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Reviews/Benchmarks

Stink

Looks nice, but I'm only interested in what they do in laptops, in terms of effortless power that doesn't need to cook my balls. For my uses I haven't noticed any requirement for extra CPU over my comparatively shitty Athlon II X3 440, probably the cheapest CPU I ever bought :D

Mr_Brit

Banned
Stink said:
Looks nice, but I'm only interested in what they do in laptops, in terms of effortless power that doesn't need to cook my balls. For my uses I haven't noticed any requirement for extra CPU over my comparatively shitty Athlon II X3 440, probably the cheapest CPU I ever bought :D
That CPU will bottleneck any GPU above a GTX460/5850.

Stink

Mr_Brit said:
That CPU will bottleneck any GPU above a GTX460/5850.

Fortunate for me then that I've also seen no point in upgrading past my 260 either. Maybe I'm just conservative.

duk

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I built a Core i7-950 box just a few months ago and it's purring at 4ghz. I don't see any reason to upgrade to Sandy Bridge quite frankly, I don't encode videos that much.

There is, however, no longer any reason buy AMD above the $200 price point or so. If you get an unlocked "K" series processor you can destroy AMD in every possible performance category that exists. Intel seems determined to force AMD to bottom-feed forever by only selling locked Core i3 processors, thereby giving the poorest OCers a reason to buy AMD presumably ensuring AMD's survival and prevention of antitrust action against Intel.

u pretty much nailed it, that's only reason intel is keeping amd around

A sandy bridge with a SATA3 SSD and 8+GB ram sounds amazing. You could throw just about any multitasking task at it and it wouldn't flinch.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lonely1 said:
Finally, time to retire my q9400 (!?).
Indeed. I am so buying a i5 2500k. Gaming wise the thing is incredible, well worth the investment for owners of 2 generation old tech like myself.

element said:
wow. both AnandTech and Neoseeker were able to overclock to 4.5GHz with stock cooling!!
Holy crap. The great thing about the new K chips is like the AMD black series, overclocking pretty much is CPU dependent thanks to multi unlocking, rather than stressing everything from the RAM to other motherboard components.

Once I can buy the i5 2500k (Overclockers UK hilariously broke the sales embargo this morning and have quickly yanked the chips and motherboard from sale), I am upgrading. While it's nice that the stock cooling is good enough for 4.5Ghz, I am still buying a Thermaltake Frio as it's an awesome cooler.

Nabs said:
Close to a Microcenter? (1/9/11)

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/powerspec/index.html

i5 2400 - $149
i5 2500k - $179
i7 2600 - $249
i7 2600k - $279
What's the import tax for these things? *runs off to the US*

tokkun

MrBelmontvedere said:
any idea when Newegg will get some stock? ._.

No later than January 9th. That was the original sale date. It seems unclear if Intel pushed up the sale date when they pushed up the NDA on reviews.

Newegg has a bit of a history of price gouging on new release items when demand is high, though.

oh shit there is one 10-15 from my house..... must not go after work.

eh NVM not available until the 9th but... 180 for that OMG.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DMczaf said:
I guess I'm finally upgrading from my PII X4.

Time to become an Intel Warrior!
That's what I'm going to do except I have an Athlon x2 4850e. Runs good but not gangster good.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mr_Brit said:
An Athlon II at 3GHZ will bottleneck you, that's not up for fact. Your minimum framerate will be atrocious on that thing.
"Will bottleneck" is a really strong statement. With the x3 440 it's largely going to depend on the settings and the game. You would have to be rocking an Athlon or Pentium before the processor becomes a definitive bottleneck for recent PC releases.

Here is what Tom's Hardware had to say on the issue during their October feature:

The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2

Mr_Brit

Banned
SapientWolf said:
"Will bottleneck" is a really strong statement. With the x3 440 it's largely going to depend on the settings and the game. You would have to be rocking an Athlon or Pentium before the processor becomes a definitive bottleneck for recent PC releases.

Here is what Tom's Hardware had to say on the issue during their October feature:

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
They're using an i5 in that benchmark. That CPU is clock for clock a lot faster than an Athlon II, hardly what I'd call a fair comparison.

Zezboob

Krauser Kat said:
P67 for the k versions. H67 for non k versions (if i have it right). need ddr3 ram.
P67 if you want to overclock K versions.
H67 if you want to use the Integrated Display from the CPU.

Funny thing, K versions are the only ones which can be fully overclocked and/or have the HD3000.

Meh.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Stink said:
So it's a good thing then these offer drastically better performance per watt and scale amazing then.

matmanx1

I wonder what kind of allocation MicroCenter is going to be getting for that Sunday promo. I'd hate to drive the 45 minutes 1 way to my closest MC and not be able to get one.

tokkun

darkwing said:
wat?? i cant have both?

No. Bizarrely, they put the good integrated graphics only on the unlocked CPUs, but don't let you make use of both the IGP and overclocking.

But in a few months they will have a new chipset out that lets you do both.

TheExodu5

Banned
It kind of makes sense. If you were both overclocking and running the GPU, the CPU would probably be producing far too much heat.

Jtrizzy

Can someone tell me if the following setup will get me 720p 60fps in 3d? I'm a noob to all of this, but im about to jump in. The following costs $1,300, with everything put together.

Intel core i7 2600 3.4 ghz
intel DH67GD motherboard
seagate 1tb 7200 sata hd
nvidia geforce gtx460
Cooler master storm scout mid tower atx gaming case
750w Corsair atx power supply quiet 140mm fan

KHarvey16

Jtrizzy said:
Can someone tell me if the following setup will get me 720p 60fps in 3d? I'm a noob to all of this, but im about to jump in. The following costs $1,300, with everything put together.

Intel core i7 2600 3.4 ghz
intel DH67GD motherboard
seagate 1tb 7200 sata hd
nvidia geforce gtx460
Cooler master storm scout mid tower atx gaming case
750w Corsair atx power supply quiet 140mm fan

I have a feeling that will do anything you want at 60fps at 720p, but others can add more input there. What I can say though is you can downgrade that PSU a bit and either save money or spend the same amount and get a better quality 500W unit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mr_Brit said:
They're using an i5 in that benchmark. That CPU is clock for clock a lot faster than an Athlon II, hardly what I'd call a fair comparison.
They're not equal, but it looks like the games were so GPU limited that it wouldn't matter. The jump from 2 cores @ 3GHz to 4 cores at 4 GHz was almost negligible.

ges_fps.png

It's probably not worth hundreds of dollars for a ~10% real world performance increase. CPU limited settings make for great comparisons, but no one pays all that money to play games at 1024x768 at low settings.

Top Bottom