• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

Canova

Banned
Haunted said:
Learned the lesson too late. Again.

Drop the "safe", admit you're just guessing/assuming based on conjecture (you believe to be fool-proof) and no one will complain about the wording.

Like I said there are only three possible options

A the engine built ground up on PS3
B the engine built ground up on 360
C Demon's Souls engine

Which of these 3 I think the safest assumption? I'd choose C

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Knew this argument was going to come. Can't you all just drop it until we see actual gameplay from each system?

This game will steal another 200+ hours of my life.

Edit:

About what platform is lead, etc., I'm beginning to think it's like Bayonetta, where Platinum Games did the 360 version then Sega ported the game to ps3, only the opposite. From's publishing the game in Japan, and if they were developing it for multiple platforms, why not publish the 360 version? They've done that with the last two Armored Cores, and will be doing that with AC5. Considering it's only multiplat in the regions Namco is publishing the game, I assume they're the ones handling the port.

Though I guess Sony could've moneyhatted it for Japan like FFXIII, but if they cared enough to do that why not just publish it like the first.

Zoe

Haunted said:
You mean the hub? Concepts of hubs aren't copyrighted, so not having something like it in Dark Souls would be a design decision first and foremost. They seem to be intent on bettering the structure of the game to something more open worldy, so that's already a plus.

Also don't forget that even making a Demon's Souls 2 doesn't mean that any structural elements of the first one have to return. Just think of Far Cry 2!

I liked the dynamic of dying and ending up in a purgatory of sorts. It was also a guaranteed safe haven (assuming you're not killing everyone).

Zoe said:
I liked the dynamic of dying and ending up in a purgatory of sorts. It was also a guaranteed safe haven (assuming you're not killing everyone).
I agree with you there. The idea of an open world Demon's Souls is quite tantalizing, but areas like the Tower of Latria scared the bejeezus out of me, and the Nexus was a necessary place of tranquility for me to cool my jets between forays into the other areas of the game.

That being said, they could simply mean that they've taken the Demon's Souls formula, only directly connecting each area as opposed to using Arch Stones, etc. There could still be a Nexus-like safe haven, only it's seamlessly connected to the areas around it.

At least that's how I'm hoping it'll be.

duckroll

canova said:
Fine, that's your point of views.

If I were to ask you to take an educated guess or even just a guess, what engine Dark Souls is using, would you say
A the engine built ground up on PS3
B the engine built ground up on 360
C Demon's Souls engine

The fact that those are the options you put here indicates to me that you have a very poor understanding of what an "engine" and how development works. It also tells me that you're ignoring a lot of the things I'm saying about From's development environment.

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
The fact that those are the options you put here indicates to me that you have a very poor understanding of what an "engine" and how development works. It also tells me that you're ignoring a lot of the things I'm saying about From's development environment.

Even if there are more options, hybrid solutions or other third party engine, etc, I still think Demon's Souls engine is the safest bet, If I were to take any bet

here's an earlier interview of how much development assets being left out from Demon's Souls final product

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...ficulty-sequels-and-more.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

HM: Counting from the earliest stage of development, materializing the visions I had in my mind for each world, it took a little over two years to create. After I had firm visions of the settings inside my head, I’d say it took about a year to go from the detailed artwork and level design work to the final product.

GI: Not including the Nexus, there are a total of five worlds in the game. How many "leftover" or abandoned world ideas did you have at the end?

HM: I had a lot of ideas during the early design stage. The world ideas that came the closest to making it into the final product were the Library stage and the Outside area around the Nexus.

Mooreberg

Amazing trailer. The number of great games coming out this year is absurd. The only thing I wonder about having read up on it is how the online component is going to work without servers. If there is no world tendency for people to work towards, maintain, or log into a server for, I can see a lot of people signing out whenever they get invaded since it doesn't seem like they would be missing out in terms of available content. I hope there is a coherent plan for this and it isn't just Namco being cheap bastards. They really could have gotten a better publisher.

Holy Fucking Shit.

Demon's Souls is the best game this gen and this looks even better. Everything I wanted from a sequel, and thankfully on 360 too now.

sadaiyappan

I'm being totally honest here, the Demon's Souls trailer looked better than this one. But that dragon monster is bad ass.

Kuran

Banned
Sony really screwed this one up, it's lovely seeing this series get proper love.

Sadaiyappan said:
I'm being totally honest here, the Demon's Souls trailer looked better than this one. But that dragon monster is bad ass.

I think the Demon's Souls trailer had much better editing.. this trailer seems targeted to fans of the Demon's Souls.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Not sure if this was posted already

LnE3y.jpg

JU9FP.jpg

dpemq.jpg

tnA4G.jpg

DlUl8.jpg

3Du2w.jpg

R062S.jpg

SwezX.jpg

G8CvF.jpg

IWvMp.jpg

OcENV.jpg

NgWP8.jpg

dbOul.jpg

5z8IH.jpg

QNgpk.jpg

duckroll

canova said:
so looks like there are 2 dragons, if we can call the first one a dragon

The artwork depicts the "White Dragon". It's not shown in any of the screens, and it's probably a major boss.

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
The artwork depicts the "White Dragon". It's not shown in any of the screens, and it's probably a major boss.

I hope this time we get to fight these dragons, not just shooting them with arrows or harpoons

ijed

purdy

looks huge - Can't wait. So no world tendencies but wondering if there's character tendencies/events. Maybe the different playable character types could lead to different story/events also.

And better trophies/cheevos? I grinded for 3 Pure Bladestones out of pure love for this game but think they should match the trophies to difficult things or at least give some point to fully upgrading your weapons.

duckroll said:

Ooh looks like she planted some of her eggs in this guy:
tnA4G.jpg

duckroll

canova said:
I hope this time we get to fight these dragons, not just shooting them with arrows or harpoons

How exactly do you expect to actually "fight" a dragon if they retain the realism in Demon's Souls? I can't really think of a way to design a fight with a dragon which does not involve using ranged weapons. I really liked how realistic the dragons were in the game because they behaved exactly like you would expect a dragon to: it has no reason to land on some safe area, allowing itself to be vulnerable to close range attacks, and it basically flies around and protects its territory with flaming breath, etc.

I can imagine an interesting fight with a dragon after its wings are cut off or severely damaged, but that would also involve the sort of gimmick that the Dragon God had.

The amount of potentially GREAT, not good, but GREAT games coming out this year is insanely ridiculous. I could easily name 20 titles that have the potential to score 85-90+ from most reviewers.

The bad part is that probably 5% of them will release in or before August. Packed 4th quarter FTL.

Ratrat

But why would a dragon repeatedly fly over the same spot where a knight is barraging him with arrows? Man, that what satisfying...I guess its not something the average player would know is possible anyway.

mavs

Sounds like there might be some more traditional coop? I'm sure they will still put some major twists in it but the word "share" makes it sound more like friends list integration than what the first game had.

duckroll

Ratrat said:
But why would a dragon repeatedly fly over the same spot where a knight is barraging him with arrows? Man, that what satisfying...I guess its not something the average player would know is possible anyway.

The arrows did insignificant damage to the dragon on their own individually, so it's possible that a create would ignore that and continue on a fixed flight path. It's not like, super duper realistic, sure, but it's significantly more realistic than the dragon actually stopping and flying down to challenge the knight one on one especially if there's no benefit for it to do that.

duckroll

mavs said:
Sounds like there might be some more traditional coop? I'm sure they will still put some major twists in it but the word "share" makes it sound more like friends list integration than what the first game had.

This is what I posted on the earlier thread in regards to what the director said about online in Famitsu:

duckroll said:
The director actually says that they're not using dedicated servers, so there won't be world tendency. Remember, with Demon's Souls, you had to login to a fixed dedicated network hosted by the publisher when playing the game online. This is what is apparently not returning. But all the other network features of the game are still there. You will occasionally see other players moving around, dying, the messages left by other players, etc. There will still be co-op and PvP elements, just like in Demon's Souls. Presumably all these features will now be handled via PSN and XBL itself, instead of through a dedicated separate framework. This also means that PS3 and 360 players will not be able to play with each other.

There are a bit more details about the new online elements too, since the full interview is out. He says that there are two specific areas which are new to the online mode of Dark Souls. One aspect is that you will be able to share your playing experience with friends, and so as you play the game and tackle the various harsh challenges, you won't feel that you're doing it alone, but rather that you have other friends who are also facing the same challenges. This sounds to me like a social networking system built into the game, and might be related to the campfire teaser they showed in the announcement trailer.

The other aspect he mentions is that there will be some sort of mutual roleplaying aspect in the game where each player's game will interact with other players in some way, to extend the roleplaying aspect. It's unclear to me what this actually means at all, and I'm not even sure if it's a good translation of what he's trying to say because of how vague it is. But basically it sounds like the game will feature a lot more interaction in non-direct methods, just like the original game but expanded in ways the team felt would enhance the experience further.

mavs

duckroll said:
This is what I posted on the earlier thread in regards to what the director said about online in Famitsu:

Very intriguing. The progress sharing alone sounds like a big upgrade.

KTallguy

Banned
I liked the dragon god level but I do admit, I wish I could go toe to toe with the dragon more.

It is silly that they flew around repeatedly in a loop as you pelted them with arrows and whittled them down. You would think that they would pay attention when their health gets low :p

hsukardi

Screenshots look a lot like Demon's Souls, to the extent where I wouldn't doubt you if you told me this shots came from a DS expansion pack.. From probably reused the DS engine and porter it to the 360.

I wonder how Sony really feels about this DS inspired title going multi platform they were the ones who approached From with the intent of producing a Kings Quest for the next generation.. Probably footed a good portion of the bill for the development too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Everytime I go back for this thread, I get shivers down my spine and I get butterflies in my stomach.

God damn this game.

Gorgon

makingmusic476 said:
I agree with you there. The idea of an open world Demon's Souls is quite tantalizing, but areas like the Tower of Latria scared the bejeezus out of me, and the Nexus was a necessary place of tranquility for me to cool my jets between forays into the other areas of the game.

That being said, they could simply mean that they've taken the Demon's Souls formula, only directly connecting each area as opposed to using Arch Stones, etc. There could still be a Nexus-like safe haven, only it's seamlessly connected to the areas around it.

At least that's how I'm hoping it'll be.

At the gaming reveal they mentioned that you explore a open world and go from there to dungeons, etc. Free-roaming doesn't mean there wont be tight level design for towers, dungeons, etc. This isn't GTA. We can even see that in the trailer, with a guy going to the entrance to a dungeon from a fireplace. Heck, think Kingsfield in terms of structure. There's no need for Nexus as a level-hub. I think you are right about having a few open areas connected by seamless paths and so on.

Gorgon

canova said:
Even if there are more options, hybrid solutions or other third party engine, etc, I still think Demon's Souls engine is the safest bet, If I were to take any bet

here's an earlier interview of how much development assets being left out from Demon's Souls final product

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...ficulty-sequels-and-more.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

I think you're confusing a few things here. Art assets don't have to be used with a specific engine. I pretty much expect some ideas like the Library or some of the stuff that would be outside of the Nexus to make an appearence, because it makes good sense. That doesn't mean at all that the engine has to be the same.

Gorgon

Sadaiyappan said:

I like this one better. Plus, the main theme is far better in this one than the one on Demo's Souls. Actually, the main theme was the worse of the themes imo.

PS: sorry for the 3 posts.

Ifrit said:
I don't know about the open world thing, I actually liked the filler-free level structure from Demon's Souls.

It is still a sequel to one of my favorite games this gen. This game is so bought

I'm with you on this, but the trailer looked exactly like Demon's Souls, so I'm still super hyped. Since there's no Nexus, I hope there will be very little traveling involved to get from one area to another. I don't want to run around a big empty plain of nothingness in order to get to the next dungeon that actually involves gameplay. That's the best way to make me hate a game.

Gorgon

iconoclast said:
I'm with you on this, but the trailer looked exactly like Demon's Souls, so I'm still super hyped. Since there's no Nexus, I hope there will be very little traveling involved to get from one area to another. I don't want to run around a big empty plain of nothingness in order to get to the next dungeon that actually involves gameplay. That's the best way to make me hate a game.

I don't think you'll be travelling around to get from one play area to another. The open areas themselves ARE deadly places and levels in themselves. You guys are thinking too much of OBLIVION-like games.

Canova

Banned
ijed said:
purdy

looks huge - Can't wait. So no world tendencies but wondering if there's character tendencies/events. Maybe the different playable character types could lead to different story/events also.

And better trophies/cheevos? I grinded for 3 Pure Bladestones out of pure love for this game but think they should match the trophies to difficult things or at least give some point to fully upgrading your weapons.

Ooh looks like she planted some of her eggs in this guy:
tnA4G.jpg

hahahaha, that's funny

Top Bottom