• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlas Shrugged (Part 1) Trailer released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ember128 said:
So are Ayn Rands rape fantasies in Atlas Shrugged going to be in the Movie Part 1, or Part 2?
Part 2 will be the long, droning, insanely preachy speech that comprises the entire second half of the book.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wait, this was directed by Dan Scott from One Tree Hill? The bad cinematography, bad acting and bad editing all makes sense! It's literally being directed by a TV-actor/director.

For those who haven't read the books, it's a sci fi/comedy in which the premise is that there's no such thing as the social contract and that altruism, somehow, actually enslaves people.

Kaeru

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
Not as funny as Objectivism!

BOOM! TAKE THAT RANDIANS!

I'm socialconservative and believe in a generous welfare system, but if I would have lived in USA I would probably be a conservative liberatarian because a welfare state would never work on a national level in todays USA.

xbhaskarx

What is this awfulness, this is a tv movie right?
I thought I read years ago that Brad Pitt had bought the rights to Atlas Shrugged and was planning to make it one day, what happened with that?

Edit: Google search, yup it was in Variety:

As for stars, [the] book provides an ideal role for an actress in lead character Dagny Taggart, so it’s not a stretch to assume Rand enthusiast Angelina Jolie’s name has been brought up. Brad Pitt, also a fan, is rumored to be among the names suggested for lead male character John Galt…. Oliver Stone was attached to direct a remake of “Fountainhead” for Warner Bros. and Paramount, but the project has languished in development. Along the way, Pitt expressed interest in playing Roark.
For years, producer Al Ruddy tried to make Rand’s definitive book into a movie, attracting the interest of Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford, and Faye Dunaway at one point. But while Rand was still alive, she had script approval, complicating the process.

So they went from Eastwood to Pitt to... who the hell is this guy? lol

way more

Pretentiously dramatic, stilted dialogue, awkward acting. That pretty much look dead on what an adapted version of Raynd would be.

I can't tell if the low budget helps it or hurts it.

Instro

Ember128 said:
So are Ayn Rands rape fantasies in Atlas Shrugged going to be in the Movie Part 1, or Part 2?

Maybe they should pull from The Fountainhead and have some actual rape instead.

Karakand

wtffffffff no Ragnar??? Didn't these moochers living off the creative output of another market test and see audiences *love* pirates? sale -1

Gaborn said:
Actually, it's sort of interesting. High speed rail is trying to make a bit of a comeback in rhetoric, Obama mentioned it fairly prominently in his SOTU, in many ways that makes this sort of perfect timing, as a quasi-future look at events.

Titans of industry are investing billions of dollars into high-speed rail infrastructure that Obama is then going to take over??

What the fuck are you talking about?

minus_273

Banned
mamacint said:
Titans of industry are investing billions of dollars into high-speed rail infrastructure that Obama is then going to take over??

you mean like GM was nationalized, nah couldnt happen

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
xbhaskarx said:
So they went from Eastwood to Pitt to... who the hell is this guy? lol
He's literally a tv-actor/director. For anyone that has seen One Tree Hill, the style and editing of that trailer will make complete sense.

Chichikov

I was just thinking, you know what Atlas Shrugged needs?
The Starship Troopers cinematic treatment.

Is Paul Verhoeven free?

Gaborn

mamacint said:

My point was simply that rail is simply more relevantly in the conversation today. I didn't say a word about Obama taking over anything. The book was written in the 50s and a faithful film adaption would naturally have some of those same sensibilities. That's just the way it is.

Objectivists are hilarious because oh gee, what a coincidence, they always happen to be the people objectivists would consider of worth to society, when, by in large, they are non-contributing zeros from privileged backgrounds with nothing to offer civilized society.

Rarely see a have-not who is also an objectivist.

Timber

So evidently the newest item to add to the already lengthy list of objectivism's flaws is that it leads its adherents to think this trailer looks even remotely decent.

Home

Could be an interesting movie to rent or bargain bin at some point. source material is obviously the primary problem though.

Guy LeDouche said:
Objectivists are hilarious because oh gee, what a coincidence, they always happen to be the people objectivists would consider of worth to society, when, by in large, they are non-contributing zeros from privileged backgrounds with nothing to offer civilized society.

I don't think that's what it's all about though.

Yaweee

Guy LeDouche said:

1) Objectivists are very, very rare. Some people might take some inspiration from Ayn Rand's books, but now that the cult surrounding her is gone, there aren't really many left.

2) The guy that runs Wikipedia is an objectivist, and its underlying philosophy of personal decision making drove him to create the site. I don't think he fulfills any of the criteria that you list.

ConfusingJazz said:
GM was nationalized because private enterprise failed.

How did private enterprise fail? Companies that made good cars for good prices survived, while shitty companies (almost) failed. That's a company failing for being bad, not the entire notion of private enterprise.

TheLegendary said:
I don't think that's what it's all about though.
bootstraps son. and if you can't afford bootstraps, well, you should have thought about that before you were born into a working class family in the poor neighborhood with bad public schools.

Also, eliminate the FDA, FAA, USDA, NHTSA, etc. Laissez faire will protect me from tainted meat, shoddy airplane construction, dick pills that kill me, and vehicles with tires that explode at 60 miles per hour.

Yaweee

blame space said:

Why "if only"? The movie looks poorly made by TV actors and TV directors, and isn't even getting a wide release. The odds of it succeeding and there being Part 2 are virtually zero.

Yaweee said:
Why "if only"? The movie looks poorly made by TV actors and TV directors, and isn't even getting a wide release. The odds of it succeeding and there being Part 2 are virtually zero.
1) it's probably funded by the Koch brothers, to whom $15 million is a drop in the bucket if it just makes its original budget back for a net gain and net loss of zero

2) it'll make it's money back on DVD sales at CPAC and tea party rallies and crap like that

way more

Yaweee said:

People will be bussed in a la Passion of the Christ. This movie is going to be more subsidized by the right than corn and abstinence education.

Timber

Topher said:
Looks a like a low budget straight to DVD movie.
IMDb says the budget is 15 million.

The production company seems to be founded for the sole purpose of funding this movie.

Seeing as how Rand fetishism is endemic to the US, and even there it's not even that widespread, domestic box office is gonna be shabby and int'l will be LOL NIL.

This is looking to be quite a, wait for it here it comes... trainwreck.

Yaweee

Not only did the director put himself in the movie, but he's John Galt? Wow.

mamacint said:
All of it, except for the droning radio speech that I went past like a flip book.

If there's any part to flip through, it's the commando-style raid on the Death Star at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom