• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlas Shrugged (Part 1) Trailer released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy LeDouche said:
lol, this needs to be adapted by the South Park guys with a "THIS IS WHAT THEY REALLY BELIEVE" lower third.
matt stone and trey parker are libertarians, so this will never ever happen!

EmCeeGramr said:
the smartest and best looking man in the world builds the best company ever all by himself and invents every single product they put out all by himself (including super metal, the best metal ever)

the evil government tries to steal it from him and he and his rich super genius friends go live in a secret super best town where nobody has to share with anyone ever and they watch as all the fat dumb poor people cry and society collapses without their amazing talents

But Mr. EmCeeGamr, where do they source their super cheap manufacture and how do they afford the cost of the infrastructure required to produce the prodigious talent required to invent such things?

minus_273 said:
you dont know what residual owners are do you? you might want to look it up. the people who got the big money were the bondholders the owners were screwed.

Ok, fuck it, please explain how GM was nationalized involuntarily. Who exactly was fucked over, and what other moves did GM have besides filing for Chapter 11 and being sold to Canada, the US and the unions, especially in a time when there was zero liquid capitol in the market for a takeover bid in a debt ridden company like GM, whose assets wouldn't cover said debt? The brands they tried to sell off (Hummer, Saturn, GMAC) failed spectacularly.

Kabouter

Chichikov said:
I was just thinking, you know what Atlas Shrugged needs?
The Starship Troopers cinematic treatment.

Is Paul Verhoeven free?
I'm fairly certain he's busy making a movie based on the excellent Louis Couperus novel 'De Stille Kracht' (The Silent Force)

Enosh

Guy LeDouche said:
lol, this needs to be adapted by the South Park guys with a "THIS IS WHAT THEY REALLY BELIEVE" lower third.
emmm

you might want to wiki the south park guys

minus_273

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
I love the presumptuousness inherent in labeling it "part 1".

its a privately funded movie made on a $20-25 million budget and will likely make much more than that given the popularity of the books for the past half century or so. the book can be neatly broken into three parts and the other 2 parts are likely already being made.

FiRez

I was expecting something terrible after these comments, besides looking amateur-ish isn't that bad.

About Ayn Rand: I have read The Fountainhead, The romantic manifesto and Anthem: The latter was mediocre, but The Fountainhead was a very intensive novel, the dialogue was very quotable and I dare to say that the story is very inspiring; The Romantic Manifesto is a very nice and intelligent essay it also has some very good tips about writing.

Never tried to read AS because is quite long and the overall hate spoiled a lot for me

minus_273 said:
its a privately funded movie made on a $20-25 million budget and will likely make much more than that given the popularity of the books for the past half century or so. the book can be neatly broken into three parts and the other 2 parts are likely already being made.

u likely

Ettie

Modern setting kills it.

I liked the book, took a fair amount away from it. (I am not rich, am working class, not a genius.)

The prose is awful though.

Timber

FiRez said:
The Romantic Manifesto is a very nice and intelligent essay it also has some very good tips about writing.
Rand didn't like Shakespeare because in his works man was not in control of HIS OWN DESTINY. She was as boneheadedly, obstinately dogmatic in matters of art as she was in everything else. If a writer did not portray man as a radiant mass of muscular, steel-jawed, HUGE-COCKED perfection then this writer was worthless to her. She had delusional ideas of mankind and of art, and added nothing of any value to either.

Bearthgar

Banned
minus_273 said:
its funny how afraid GAF is of this movie. The government seizing GM wasn't popular and i suspect something like this movie would resonate in some way with at least 50% of the voting public.

Liberal-GAF is funny. The same people that make fun of Ayn Rand are the ones that make fun of the Tea Party. The same people that make fun of the Tea Party are the most ardent supporters of Gay Pride marches and the original Civil Rights movement.

Pretty much, it's OK to stand up for your rights unless it's for economic reasons. Economic reasons make you greedy. -_-

Timber

Slevin140 said:
Liberal-GAF is funny. The same people that make fun of Ayn Rand are the ones that make fun of the Tea Party. The same people that make fun of the Tea Party are the most ardent supporters of Gay Pride marches and the original Civil Rights movement.

Pretty much, it's OK to stand up for your rights unless it's for economic reasons. Economic reasons make you greedy. -_-
I hear behind me the approaching sound of this being quoted and loled at many times over.

sphagnum

Banned
Slevin140 said:

Ayn Rand supported a horrible, illogical, and incredibly selfish ideology and the Tea Party is filled to the brim with uneducated conspiracy theorists and bigots.

Slevin140 said:

What rights are the Tea Party standing up for, again?

Dresden

Slevin140 said:

Man, "lol" just doesn't convey the same meaning it used to.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
PhoenixDark said:
Cool, I'm a fan of fantasy films
Fh39K.gif

Edit: Gasp, it's a miracle.

Chichikov

Slevin140 said:
Dude what?
I mean, it's fine to disagree with "liberal-gaf", but is it not expected that people that hate the Tea Party will also hate Ayn Rand?

This is like saying "it's funny that the people who make fun of Chomsky are the same people who make fun of the huffington post".

Chichikov said:
Dude what?
I mean, it's fine to disagree with "liberal-gaf", but is it not expected that people that hate the Tea Party will also hate Ayn Rand?

This is like saying "it's funny that the people who make fun of Chomsky are the same people who make fun of the huffington post".

don't bother

kman3000

Slevin140 said:

See we make fun of you guys because you actually think the Tea Party is on equal footing with those groups.

Yaweee

Chichikov said:
Dude what?

Which is strange, because Ayn Rand would hate the Tea Party.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTf6NK0wsiA

I cannot wait for the rampant misogyny and rape scenes this film will have if it wishes to be true to the book. I guess we got that in the one scene with the dude telling the woman to STFU and go back in the kitchen.

Gaborn

EmCeeGramr said:
Answer my question.

Although I do not trust the tea party by any means they did actually bring down the PATRIOT Act reauthorization the other day. That was pretty awesome.

Edit: Here. Again, do I trust them long term? No, they'll all likely be co-opted by the neo-con establishment. That was the one glimmer of something I saw approaching hope though.

Talon

minus_273 said:
GM was not a loan it was seized from its owners and given to someone else. The shareholders of GM were robbed
The shareholders of GM were robbed by myopic management that was willing to cut corners and ask a newly minted President Ronald Reagan to force a production limit on Japanese manufacturers back in the winter of '81.

Which led Japan to change its models to be more profitable/unit by adding dozens of options and boosting prices. The industry moves towards bloated cars loaded with options instead of the smaller, more affordable vehicles that were gaining steam in the 70s. SUV and trucks boom as we continue focus on horsepower. GM fell behind hard in quality. And so on.

Add onto that plant management and the unions, and we have a clusterfuck. It makes our mistakes look worse when you read/hear about decisions here or there that could have turned the fates of GM, such as the lessons from NUMMI or, ironically, Reagan getting involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom