• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

51 Hours To Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

One post on NeoGAF, a gaming site, said of Lucidending's decision: "That's not courage. Courage would be if he decided to live as long as possible despite the horrible pain."

Gamer acceptance in the mainstream has just been setback another twenty years. D:

shuri

Banned
When Lucidending stopped posting, about an hour after he began, reddit tried to help him but learned through a third party that he had forgotten his password.
.. Very strange.

Hawkian said:
I'm pretty disturbed that that's the representative quote from NeoGAF that we have presented.

Oh it's certainly not flattering, on the other hand (why I am spinning a positive here ... I'm bored okay) an asshole comment is more likely to generate discussion. Media stories love to rile up readers for attention. Perhaps the douche nature of the comment will have GAF watched for more quotes ... maybe better ones.

K, I'm gonna pet my cat now.

shuri

Banned
I wonder if the girlfriend of luciddreaming will join us in 6 months in a very awkward display of internet justice to slam us, only for us to discover that shes updating her twitter with messages about him 20 times a day, even if she only spent a whole weekend hanging out with him.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, for what it's worth, it does strike me as courageous. In his position I think riding out his last hours painlessly and without cognition would be the easy way out.

Jenga

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Oh WTF GAF? Shame on you electricblue for making that retarded post.
oh please, do you really expect people to change their opinions because USA today is lurking gaf?

Jenga said:
oh please, do you really expect people to change their opinions because USA today is lurking gaf?
No I don't expect people to change their opinion so all I can say is shame on him. Weirdly, YouTube is more supportive right now towards this.

USA Today goes ahead and quotes the dumbest comment from the thread. I hope they don't go into gaming side and start pulling out comments from there.

Roto13

Oh, fuck USA Today. There were plenty of better posts they could have used that were smarter and more insightful. Or at least not dripping with idiocy.

Roto13 said:
Oh, fuck USA Today. There were plenty of better posts they could have used that were smarter and more insightful. Or at least not dripping with idiocy.

I'd wager the article was looking for that touch of internet asshole. He delivered. USA Today didn't come to GAF for eloquent speech. I don't mean that in any offense to anyone on the forum; and I am NOT speaking to the level of conversation. Just thought I would clarify that in advance.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
:lol at the USAToday Quote, that's fantastic. A perfect example of an article taking the smallest thing they can find and magnifying it for a big fuck you to the source. ElectricBlue was not only the only person who had those opinions in this thread but everyone else in the thread disagreed with him. I could understand if many people echoed the sentiments in the quote, but jesus.

:lol

RobertM

shuri said:
I wonder if the girlfriend of luciddreaming will join us in 6 months in a very awkward display of internet justice to slam us, only for us to discover that shes updating her twitter with messages about him 20 times a day, even if she only spent a whole weekend hanging out with him.
What did she say after my reply? I can't access that thread for some reason.

JackEtc

Reddit loves us.

I'm Jaklap on Reddit, BTW. Hopefully my comment response to that guy talking about the GAF quote will get upvoted so people can see the truth, instead of USA Today's fuck up.

jaxword

Jenga said:

If being publicly revealed as a vile, sadistic person won't do it, what would?

Jeff-DSA

I'm not going to judge anybody, because I have lost family to cancer more than once and I know how hard it is. For me, however, I would fight anything to the bitter end because I'm stubborn. I also don't want any doubt left in the minds of those that I'd leave behind.

I think it has to be a tough decision to choose death. He's obviously still finding joy in the little things, like the iPad, so he's still giving something up. I hope he goes with full peace of mind.

I have absolutely no problems with what the guy is doing and I would probably do it the same way.

But I don't disagree with electric blue either. Death is easy, living is hard. Living for six months on some sort of treatment, despite the agonizing pain, trying to squeeze every last drop from an existence that ends the moment your synapses stop firing seems like a much more difficult course of action, and in that difficulty is where I would find the courage. In that respect, dying in two days seems easy, which isn't where I find the most courage. Enduring unimaginable pain just on the off chance that you could squeeze one last drop of joy or happiness or good experience out of it seems way more brave than just giving up in the face of so much pain.

But to be honest, I'd probably take the easy way, and that's just fine.

Marleyman

Banned
My buddies dad passed from cancer a fews years ago. I remember vividly him telling me the agony and pain that his dad went through towards the end - just horrible stuff he said, did, etc. I will ask him tonight, but I can guarantee this law would have been welcomed for his father.

We've come for ElectricBlue! :mad:

angry-mob.jpg

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Why the hate for ElectricBlue's comment?

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what." - To Kill A Mockingbird.

ElectricBlue is talking exactly about this very type of courage.

The only reason I see the hatred for his comment is if his comment is as seen as looking down upon that guy becuase he himself is not dying of cancer and would possibly have a hard time saying that if he were in that situation.

Jeff-DSA

I have to share the last couple of days of my grandma's life, because she was taken by cancer at only 69 years old. She was originally diagnosed to live 3 weeks, but she lived a year. The last month was rough, as she only got out of bed a few times and nobody quite knows how she managed to do it. She was in a near comatose state for the last 3 days, but became very clear on the last day. My grandpa played guitar, and she asked him to play for her. He played, "Oh, Pretty Woman" for her since it was a song that they loved when they were younger. She tapped her finger and hummed along, eyes barely open.

She asked if everybody could come in and see her again after that. You could see lots of pain in her face those last couple of months, but she never once complained about hurting. That last day, however, she told my grandpa that she was tired and that she hurt. After everybody came in and spent a few minutes with her, they all went to bed. A few hours later my dad and grandpa got up to give her her pain medication in the middle of the night. She was asleep, but breathing lightly. Just before leaving the room my grandpa grabbed her hand, squeezed, and she squeezed back. My dad leaned in to whisper to her, and at that moment she stopped breathing.

My dad and my grandpa were alone in the room there with her when she passed away. They were able to see the pain melt away from her face and she looked peaceful and restful.

I think anybody who was able to be with her that last day when she became lucid would have forfeited their fortunes to have that last moment had they missed out and known about it. I think she was very happy how she left this life. If she had asked to die weeks earlier, I imagine nobody would have blamed her. However, that final day and night is something everybody treasures deeply in our family.

Of course all situations are different. All families and individuals deal with things differently. This is why I won't and can't judge the decision this man is making, but I hope he doesn't feel like he or his family feels that anything was cut shorter than it should have been.

Plasmid

It's really saddening, but he didn't go out telling everyone how shitty everything is, he seems really calm with dying.

Still extremely sad though.

Jeff-DSA

Plasmid said:
It's really saddening, but he didn't go out telling everyone how shitty everything is, he seems really calm with dying.

Still extremely sad though.

It's because he views living as the worst option at this point.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Going out in dignity is the last respectable act we, humans, can hope to perform in our lives. I'm afraid many of us, posters in this thread, may not have that guy's luck there.

*raises metaphorical glass to Lucidending*

Plasmid

Jeff-DSA said:
It's because he views living as the worst option at this point.

That's what makes it extremely sad, and the fact he knows when he's going to die, i don't think i could ever deal with knowing my death-date.

Dying of cancer and in horrible pain in the last days, weeks, or months of their life should give the person some kind of immunity from stupid debates, such as this.

Roto13

Fisticuffs said:
Dying of cancer and in horrible pain in the last days, weeks, or months of their life should give the person some kind of immunity from stupid debates, such as this.
What? Nobody's arguing with him. He's not even here.

EDIT: In fact I guess he's dead by now, isn't he? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom