• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Gritesh said:
I expected that, however I can't wait until Tuesday to dive into The Witcher 2 and for 20 dollars I cant really complain for some entertainment for the weekend :)
Get it on gog for $10.00.

Edit: aqhh nvmd. Its worth more than 20, have fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wallach said:
I'm going to be disappointed if they've gone through the trouble to model & texture all the female bits but we don't even get a glimpse of Geralt's manhood.

if you want to get a good idea of what it might look like I can PM you a few pics ;)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
repost for new page

I did a little research and found a few reviews. Don't know if this has been posted yet. Sorry i don't have all the links to the reviews. This information is from a german Witcher fan forum.

Reviews:

CD-Action

+ well thought, mature story
+ nonlinearity - story branching points can be counted in tens
+ great, humorous dialogues
+ dynamic combat
+ perfect audio-visuals
+ will last for a long time

- stealth sequences
- (slightly dissapointing) ending

There are 2 things about the ending. One- I can't wait, what happens next (the end definitely suggests a sequel). The second thing- the finale disappoints because it is quite short, and also there's lack of a real "pierdolnięcie" "big fucking blow") at the end of such an amazingly told story.

Score: 9.5

PC-Action

+ Charismatic, totally cool hero
+ decisions have a major impact on story and gameplay
+ Brilliant graphics, dense atmosphere
+ Prima drawn characters

- Story is weaker towards the end
- 3 Act to short and poor in Quests
- combat control sometimes inaccurate "

Score: Sehr gut (very good)

Pelite Magazine

Sexist, humoristic, atmospheric, brutal game which redeems all the expectations I had about it. Excelllent fantasy journey, that keeps the dream of this year of being the best roleplaying year ever alive"

Score: 93%

Jeuxvideo magazine

conclusion = The Witcher 2 keeps it's promises and even more. The rpg that's cd project give to us is simply hallucinating. The devs give us an intelligent rpg, adult, beautiful and damn immersive. TW2 is higher than the first, and I even could say that it's the best rpg i have ever played.

Score: 19/20

dwebo said:
I was going to ask which one is which, but then you went and left the filename on the first one. So yeah, guess I see it. Nice find!

Actually they are both Wyeth, but I think what mostly looks similar is the armor designs. Obviously The Witcher universe is much more dark and foreboding, but I can't help but see similarities in thinks like fabric patterns, armor designs (especially helms), weaponry, and even architecture of castles.

Wallach

szaromir said:
Anyone here will play the superior Polish version?

I'm considering playing that VA w/ English subtitles (assuming the option is still there). I thought the English VA in TW1 was pretty crap, and from what I can gather most of those actors are returning.

dwebo

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Actually they are both Wyeth, but I think what mostly looks similar is the armor designs. Obviously The Witcher universe is much more dark and foreboding, but I can't help but see similarities in thinks like fabric patterns, armor designs (especially helms), weaponry, and even architecture of castles.
Damn you. But yeah, it's all medieval European (directly or inspired) - only so much you can do with the design.

Complistic

Wallach said:
I'm considering playing that VA w/ English subtitles (assuming the option is still there). I thought the English VA in TW1 was pretty crap, and from what I can gather most of those actors are returning.

Geralts pretty much the only returning VA that we know about. Triss, Dandelion, and zoltan for example, all have new VAs.

Wallach

Complistic said:
Geralts pretty much the only returning VA that we know about. Triss, Dandelion, and zoltan for example, all have new VAs.

Really? I thought more than that was confirmed returning. I'll have to go back and do more looking. Triss having a new VA is fucking music to my ears, though.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
I don't quite get the accents they've gone for with the English VA. Geralt is American, fine, he's a Witcher and should stand out. Typical northern English accents for commoners, that's all okay. Zoltan sounds Glaswegian, a bit obvious but I can dig it.

But Triss and Dandelion...talk about generic, flat delivery. Why are they American when everyone else other than Geralt sound like they come from the British Isles or Eastern Europe?

dwebo said:
Damn you. But yeah, it's all medieval European (directly or inspired) - only so much you can do with the design.

That's true...however there's something about it that isn't quite like other games. Same with Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
That's true...however there's something about it that isn't quite like other games. Same with Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

I think it has to do with taking inspiration from actual medieval sources and not the LOTR/D&D mixture that informs most gaming art in the genre.

LOZLINK

Whoa whoa, theres way too much naked triss. Hopefully you can still bang Girls on the go like The witcher 1. Geralt doesn't need a wifey.

MollyMillions said:
I think it has to do with taking inspiration from actual medieval sources and not the LOTR/D&D mixture that informs most gaming art in the genre.

Yes, great way of putting it. That's exactly it.

bengraven

Launch trailer gave me serious Metal Gear vibes in the first half. Geralt sounded more like Solid Snake and the music was straight up MGS. lol

Zinga

Banned
I bought the game from GoG.com, I think it's important to support PC only developers especially and I am glad the money goes straight to them! I have no doubt the game will be fantastic like the original, and these guys really supported the last game with the Directors Cut and Enhanced Edition so you know that they will stick by this game :)

Exuro

I find it really odd that Steam isn't promoting the TF2 items already. Its supposedly only for pre-purchase and with there only being a few days left(and they don't work on the weekend) they'll have it up only for Monday? Sounds way too short for a promo.

Tokubetsu

in6WAK.gif

Exuro

Complistic said:
They are promoting them. I got an ad that popped up for them.
I jumped into TF2 and got the items lol.

Restarted Steam and the ad popped up. Looks like there won't be a preload, but there is one for Fable 3... bah

antonz

iNvidious01 said:
how much profit do they make on gog vs steam? i remember steam taking 30% on sales right?
They own GOG so they get 100%. I broke down and ordered a digital copy on GOG and being the PC whore I am I needed the real map etc so bought a hardcopy as well lol

Exuro

3chopl0x said:
The sword in TF2 is hilarious, it actually does self damage if you miss.
It's a Boston Basher reskin which I've never used. I'm guessing this with milk would work out pretty well. I like the hair though. Wonder how it looks with paint

~Kinggi~

Banned
antonz said:
They own GOG so they get 100%. I broke down and ordered a digital copy on GOG and being the PC whore I am I needed the real map etc so bought a hardcopy as well lol
I actually never knew gog was CDProjekt.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Damn it, you had to go make that cheap thing while I was working on this.

FroHq.gif

I wish I could make the text fade in as his hand crosses but my program isn't that advanced.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Dice said:
Damn it, you had to go make that cheap thing while I was working on this.

FroHq.gif

I wish I could make the text fade in as his hand crosses but my program isn't that advanced.
You gotta rainbow that shit to make the text stand out.

Blizzard

Banned
If anyone from CDProjekt is reading, thanks for making the effort to make a good PC release. :) I finally ordered the game from GoG today, and just finished the preload.

~Kinggi~

Banned
robotrock said:
I think I saw something about SecuROM on the last page. The retail version doesn't have that, right?
Retail has securom. Need a one-time internet connection to verify. There isnt an install limit or anything though. Seemed like a loose drm.

antonz

robotrock said:
I think I saw something about SecuROM on the last page. The retail version doesn't have that, right?
Retail version does have activation but unlimited uses and upto 5 computers at a time can be playing it. Atari demanded they have some form of protection so they watered it down as much as possible

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
robotrock said:

Can someone give me a quickie on what exactly this SecuROM does? What's so nasty about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom