• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: E3 2011 Gameplay Trailers

Here something nice for those of us waiting for BF3 who are either Console and PC battlefield fans both old and new to the series:

A great 5-part Youtube series discussing/comparing all the CONSOLE BATTLEFIELD games (in progress).

The Evolution of Battlefield | Battlefield: 2 Modern Combat | Part 1/5

The Evolution of Battlefield | Battlefield: Bad Company | Part 2/5

The thorough attention to detail of the retrospective to really lets you see the evolution (or devolution) of the series from game to game. Which is amazing in allowing us to predict the direction of Battlefield games of the future (like BF3).

Was gonna make a thread but idk if it's worthy.

Raide

wwm0nkey said:
I will miss Modern Combat :(

Such a great game. Watching the video makes me annoyed, especially seeing all the good stuff like server browsing, clan support etc, which is missing from so many modern games. Some great and memorable maps, especially Bridge Too Far.

I would love Assault to return for BF3. It was great fun to defend 1 spot as wave after wave of players tried to take your flags. :D

wwm0nkey

Raide said:
Such a great game. Watching the video makes me annoyed, especially seeing all the good stuff like server browsing, clan support etc, which is missing from so many modern games. Some great and memorable maps, especially Bridge Too Far.

I would love Assault to return for BF3. It was great fun to defend 1 spot as wave after wave of players tried to take your flags. :D
I remember the big 360 remake feature was bullet shells staying on the ground and at the time that shit was fucking amazing! lol

Also the only thing that killed the game was the voting system because you either got Backstab or Bridge too Far...also it was the first 360 game with a map voting feature as well :lol

Raide

wwm0nkey said:
I remember the big 360 remake feature was bullet shells staying on the ground and at the time that shit was fucking amazing! lol

Also the only thing that killed the game was the voting system because you either got Backstab or Bridge too Far...also it was the first 360 game with a map voting feature as well :lol

I remember Bridge Too Far appearing loads because that was the main map people knew from the Demo. :D It was also great to see so many urban maps, something I hope BF3 works on.

I really enjoyed the SP game with the zooming around the battlefield. It made for a very different type of shooter.

Smokey

Cuban Legend said:
Here something nice for those of us waiting for BF3 who are either Console and PC battlefield fans both old and new to the series:

A great 5-part Youtube series discussing/comparing all the CONSOLE BATTLEFIELD games (in progress).

The thorough attention to detail of the retrospective to really lets you see the evolution (or devolution) of the series from game to game. Which is amazing in allowing us to predict the direction of Battlefield games of the future (like BF3).

Wow

I had no idea there was that much content in Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. Sort of shames the recent console releases. Sever lists. Clan Support. All of those vehicles?

:(

BF:MC is also a quaint illustration for DICE's appreciation of a new gen of consoles, and how when consoles stagnate like this , quality and features can and will be stripped to cater to the lowest common denominator in order to drive sales.

DICE really pushed to make the XBOX 360 version of Modern Combat so much better after the original release of the original XBOX (original xbox) and PS2 version. Yes, both old versions are FAR from the Xbox360 version in terms of graphics, sounds, ai, gameplay and much more.

Also, GamerSpawn conducted a Youtube Video interview with Ed Thomas, (Lead Technical Artist at DICE/EA for Modern Combat) on the differences between XBOX and 360 versions of MC it is a pretty short and sweet video for a strictly comparison viewpoint.

zulfate

i fucking loved every minute of bf2:mc i even got it twice (ps2 and xbox 360) really what got me where the damn map designs...i loved them some are the best in the franchise...i wish DICE can atleast give is some sort of map editor i would love to see what the mod community can do with frostbite 3

wwm0nkey

OdysseusVA said:
Wow

I have never played BF2:MC, but I'm now wishing I had :(
Now you can never play it either D:

Seriously though, would not mind a Battlefield 3: Modern Combat expansion for Battlefield 3 with a remake of BackStab and Bridge too Far

Arnie

wwm0nkey said:

Seriously though, would not mind a Battlefield 3: Modern Combat expansion for Battlefield 3 with a remake of BackStab and Bridge too Far
Modern Combat was an absolutely horrible game, but a Bridge too Far was a pretty decent map. For those in this thread worried about not playing the game, don't be, it was awful. The gunplay was beyond terrible and the weapons, whilst visually different, behaved so similarly to each other it was pointless choosing.

It was the worst Battlefield game I've ever played, although saying that I haven't played Heroes.

Raide

wwm0nkey said:

Two awesome maps. With them doing the Back to Karkland maps, I do hope they grab a few from BF2:MC as well.

MMaRsu

Banned
Cuban Legend said:

Holy SHIT. I've played Modern Combat for a bit in single player back on the 360 for a bit but not long, that game had clan support, server browser and all that shit, it's soooooooooooooooo retarded that all that shit was removed for BFBC2.

Why take out so many features?

16 maps on the dics.. jesus that's how it's fucking supposed to be done.

wwm0nkey

Arnie said:
Modern Combat was an absolutely horrible game, but a Bridge too Far was a pretty decent map. For those in this thread worried about not playing the game, don't be, it was awful. The gunplay was beyond terrible and the weapons, whilst visually different, behaved so similarly to each other it was pointless choosing.

It was the worst Battlefield game I've ever played, although saying that I haven't played Heroes.
Oh it may not have been a "great" Battlefield game, but it was still a lot of fun to me. Also regardless you know there are a lot of maps in that game that could/should be remade, I can not remember the name of the top of my head but that one flooded city map was pretty awesome and so was BackStab and Bridge too Far.

mr_nothin

Banned
Oh God, I almost forgot about the different setups for conquest mode. I miss those so much! Double assault and assault were so much fun.

Arnie

wwm0nkey said:
Oh it may not have been a "great" Battlefield game, but it was still a lot of fun to me. Also regardless you know there are a lot of maps in that game that could/should be remade, I can not remember the name of the top of my head but that one flooded city map was pretty awesome and so was BackStab and Bridge too Far.
Backstab was awesome, and that flooded City map was alright, although the waist high water got on my tits a bit.

I had the game and found it moderately enjoyable for a time being, but just the overall deficiencies in the core game itself meant I couldn't play it for very long. Shame too because the server browser was fantastic for a console.

The only thing DICE has to include into the console version for me to pick it up is a server browser. Seriously, that's literally all it takes. Graphics could go unchanged from BC2, but a Serverbrowser is a must.
The castrated quick match bullshit in BC2 is probably the worst part of the game, since unlike games like COD, loading is terribly long in BC2.

If the console versions don't include a serverbrowser I won't buy them simple as that.

Arnie

boris feinbrand said:
The only thing DICE has to include into the console version for me to pick it up is a server browser. Seriously, that's literally all it takes. Graphics could go unchanged from BC2, but a Serverbrowser is a must.
The castrated quick match bullshit in BC2 is probably the worst part of the game, since unlike games like COD, loading is terribly long in BC2.

If the console versions don't include a serverbrowser I won't buy them simple as that.
I agree with you there. It's a frequent occurrence in BC2 to join a game and find out there's only 3 people playing, or that the map you requested to play was on the verge of changing. A server browser needs to be included, or at least the option to join games with the intention of playing a single map on repeat.

Arnie said:

It was certainly the worst Battlefield I have ever played. Seriously though, anyone who likes this game, must hate the medic class, because it doesn't exist in MC. Taking the medic out of Battlefield is like removing Peanut Butter from Jelly. Mainly why I didn't like BC1 and it's crippled ass medic.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
wwm0nkey said:

Er-you still can for a month. There was about 20-24 players anytime I played it last year. $10 quick try, no excuses.

Honestly, I rather them strip things out (with the exception of FUCKING SERVER BROWSERS, JESUS CHRIST DICE/CONSOLE DEVELOPERS) for destruction than not have destruction at this point. Going back to Modern Combat after playing thousands of hours of Bad Company or 1943 is HARD. Mostly because you can't go "Oh, they're hiding in there. I'll just blow a wall." You have to grenade bounce and hope they get flushed out instead.

Kyaw

I'm not sure if it's ok or not to post this here but BF3 alpha trial screenshots/details are leaked HERE.

Some things that are noticed by the player and want to share with you:
- Maps looks good.
- Graphic settings is bugged, probably since the recommended driver version is not yet released.
- Very low recoil, tough there is bulletspread.
- Bullets bounce off metal.
- Surround sound is REALLY good, the sound of the rockets that flew by my head made me smile, explosions are really nice, a good deep drum.
- You can see your own legs when you look down, tough your weapon will stick thru your own leg... =x
- You do not walk fully silent when crouching.
- Infinite sprint.
- Tank can swim and jump (funny bug rofl)

Please note that these screenshots are not mine, I do not intend to break any of the promises to NOT leak out any information.
I do still have 10 keys left..

I'll take it down if it's not cool.

Some screenshots (note that this is on lowest graphical settings):

npg83nrmuf.png

14obmzo0mou.png

2dufdcwt8v0.png

ic0ccpemm9.png

2ch8ahflmh1.png

Raide

^ Nice. Just spotted those via Twitter.

Server Browser is defo in for the PC version then. Some of the menu's defo have a BC2 vibe.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Still looks good, even on low. I guess DICE is taking the optimization complaint of BC2 to heart.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'll bail out of this thread now because people will see screenshots but won't read that it is on the lowest settings.

Nekrono

Kyaw said:
I thought BC2's optimisation was pretty damn good.
It's only good if you have a good processor, on the other hand I think Vietnam has a pretty damn good optimization, but then again it was meant and coded on PC first.

Top Bottom