• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unfortunately, Batman: Arkham City IS using Games for Windows Live (Eurogamer)

FJ0372

I really don't see the issue. GFWL to me just tends to mean fantastic Xbox 360 controller support, most of the time anyway (damn Bioshock 2!).

raphier

Banned
FJ0372 said:
I really don't see the issue. GFWL to me just tends to mean fantastic Xbox 360 controller support, most of the time anyway (damn Bioshock 2!).
I didn't know Witcher 2 was a GFWL game.

THRILLH0

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
New thread for new news:

Shit, another game I'm not buying then.

100% of my GFWL games have been rendered completely unplayable by that shitty system and I've learned my lesson.
Oh well sucks to be you. You're clearly doing something wrong if you're having that much trouble.

I pity the people who are going to skip this - or any - game over GFWL.

Never had a single problem.

Live Free or Die said:
I don't know what's so bad about GFWL. it works just fine for me. Just buy the game and stop complaining what it's on.
Why don't you read the thread? Oh yes, that's reasonable. Buy the game when you have a tonne of issues with the service.

Live Free or Die said:
I don't know what's so bad about GFWL. it works just fine for me. Just buy the game and stop complaining what it's on.
i.e. the game exists so no matter what state it's in you should happy!!!11

Those who have very legimate and fair problems with GFWL have every right to be displeased. I generally don't mind, but if was GFW, not GFWL, then I would be just as pleased.

AShep said:
Oh well sucks to be you. You're clearly doing something wrong if you're having that much trouble.

I pity the people who are going to skip this - or any - game over GFWL.

Never had a single problem.

Yeah, how dare they skip a game that simply won't work like it should *rollseyes*

Live Free or Die said:

Read the thread?

Mama Robotnik said:
Bought two Games For Windows Live titles, and was unable to play either of them due to that shitty, shitty system. Its intrusive, prone to disastrous failure without warning, and renders purchases unplayable from the moment of installation.

I can't understand why any company would actually choose to anchor their PC releases to a such a toxic product, and can only assume they do so because they prioritise agreements with Microsoft over the quality of the consumer experience. Instant disrespect to any publisher and developer that is either idiotic or corrupt enough to force it on their customers.

SalsaShark said:
uhm, yeah? it did. It erased save files near to completition for hundreds of users.

And it just did it again with my Dirt 3 savefiles

Yes, it's fine for you people. Yes, you think XBOX360 controller support requires GFWL. Yes, you've been brainwashed to the point that you absolutely can't live without your live achievements. We get it. That doesn't change the fact that people lose their saves or outright can't play the product they bought. How is that hard to understand?

Mxrz

*hugs PS3*

Just You, me, and Batman, baby. The way God intended.

(Honestly, GFWL is the biggest buzzkill around. No idea why developers would do that.)

FuKuy

Live Free or Die said:
I don't know what's so bad about GFWL.

But you can be suspicious about so many users complaining, and most developers have switch to STEAM, even lot of them have told bad experiences about the Microsoft service on PC.

THRILLH0

Banned
Glass Rebel said:
Yeah, how dare they skip a game that simply won't work like it should
Cry me a fucking river. Most people don't have any problems and all I ever see is the usual suspects shitting up threads bitching about GFWL while fellating Steam over and over.

Eusis

Zeouterlimits said:
Those who have very legimate and fair problems with GFWL have every right to be displeased. I generally don't mind, but if was GFW, not GFWL, then I would be just as pleased.
This. Come on people, while there's probably a few cases that were the user's fault there's still a lot of failings and otherwise undesirable aspects to it that you should be able to see and respect why people wouldn't bother even if it's not something you mind. I generally don't care about Securom for example, so long as the restrictions are reasonable like in Batman Arkham Asylum, but I can see why people can take issue with it, and I've seen a lot more horror stories with GFWL just in these Batman threads than I saw for Securom.

AShep said:
Cry me a fucking river. Most people don't have any problems and all I ever see is the usual suspects shitting up threads bitching about GFWL over and over.

Do you see the "Unfortunately"-part in the thread title? Why don't you just get out of this thread instead of being obnoxious and condescending to people who have legitimate problems with the service?

Mxrz said:
*hugs PS3*

Just You, me, and Batman, baby. The way God intended.

(Honestly, GFWL is the biggest buzzkill around. No idea why developers would do that.)

Agree on both accounts. And why anyone uses any resources to put GFWL into their game is beyond me.

Eusis

Glass Rebel said:
Do you see the "Unfortunately"-part in the thread title? Why don't you just get out of this thread instead of being obnoxious and condescending to people who have legitimate problems with the service?
Yeah. If you had a bad experience with a product or service, MULTIPLE at that, you're not going to want to fucking use it. It's like why you wouldn't want to keep touching hot surfaces after burning yourself a few times, only an imbecile would keep doing it. Personally, if I'm frustrated with dumb crap with a PC version I usually just treat the console versions as a way out since I don't care to miss out on a game because of those problems, at least until a good enough sale crops up for the PC version.

Spookie

AShep said:
Cry me a fucking river. Most people don't have any problems and all I ever see is the usual suspects shitting up threads bitching about GFWL.

Cool I'm not a usual suspect so here let me post my opinion: GFWL has given me nothing but problems with it's endless stream of patching & restarting followed by losing my saves every time I go back to finish Batman: AA because my profile was corrupted by GFWL gremlins.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Glass Rebel said:
God forbid someone speak positively on the service.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
KaiserBecks said:
Never had a problem with GfWl, don't really see what the fuzz is about.

Then you're not looking very hard. People have posted their experiences, the experiences of others, and even opinions of developers themselves in this very thread (Edit: and the other).

Gonna try starting up a GFWL game and see if the solution of turning off my firewall still works. If it does I think I'm willing to risk it. Only problem I've had with GFWL, yet. Fool me twice and I can't get fooled again.

I don't get it, why is everyone saying "I'll wait for a steam sale?" Why not just buy it on Steam day 1 if it's available on that platform?

Eusis

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I don't get it, why is everyone saying "I'll wait for a steam sale?" Why not just buy it on Steam day 1 if it's available on that platform?
They'd rather not buy a game they see as having an inherent flaw that might screw them over. Myself, if I didn't get it on Steam ASAP anyway it'd be because I got/rented it on a console (probably PS3) first. That, and it's out in October, there'll be Thanksgiving and Christmas sales not long after where the game may be 33% or even 50% off.

Eusis said:
They'd rather not buy a game they see as having an inherent flaw that might screw them over. Myself, if I didn't get it on Steam ASAP anyway it'd be because I got/rented it on a console (probably PS3) first. That, and it's out in October, there'll be Thanksgiving and Christmas sales not long after where the game may be 33% or even 50% off.
What I mean is, if the game can boot from steam you don't need to be running GFWL do you?

I may be a minority here but, this makes me wanna buy it.

Seriously though, I don't get why people hate GFWL, corrupted save files can happen to any game.

Cheech

Yeah, no problems here either. I actually liked the fact I could dust off my dormant MS points and pay for a pack from Age of Empires Online.

Iztli

I effin hate GFWL ><! trust me.. I've been playing Gears of War PC MP since 2007 :O and its caused nothing but issues

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Iztli said:
I have effin hate GFWL ><! trust me.. I've been playing Gears of War PC MP since 2007 :O and its caused nothing but issues
I remember you lol, you were pretty good online. I removed most of the PC GOW guys from my FL though, it's been such a long time.

Never had a single problem with GFWL and, apparently, I'm not alone. Here are some posts I've compiled from the previous thread and this one. It seems a lot of people have no issues with it so it's not a case of us being "lucky" as some have said. Sorry you lost your saves or whatever but, hey, we didn't! I like GFWL and am now 100% going to purchase Batman because it's using it, when previously I was wavering 50/50 to wait for a sale instead. I'd go as far as saying there's almost an equal amount of people who have posted they haven't had issues with GFWL as there is people continuously bashing it, which is interesting because normally it's the people with problems that post about it and the ones content don't care enough to.

For me, personally:

Bulletstorm - 10+ hours
Virtua Tennis 4 - 20+ hours
Bioshock 2 - 10+ hours

No issues whatsoever. Must be a sorcerer.

d1rtn4p said:
Different strokes I suppose... I've never had a problem with GFWL...I start a game;it logs me into my Live account;I play game. Because I have a good rig, I get the improved graphics and the streamlined functionality of Live. It's like, well in lack of a better term, a match made in heaven really. Note that I use a Xbox controller, so with Live I have everything at the touch of one button, so not having that may sway others.
^ I had to post this one first because of the improved graphics comment lol :p
Dynoro said:
Never had a problem with GFWL personally so doesn't really affect me as long as they don't substitute GFWL with something that hinders my enjoyment of the game
Chiaroscuro said:
I am the only one on the other side of the fence here?

Actually for me it is a little disapointment. I like to gain Live achievements on games, and Batman AA was quite enjoyable on that part.

And I never had a single problem using GFWL, and I used since its beginning, having all games released. I understand that their system is a little bit alien for PC-centric gamers, but being an Xbox/Xbox 360 owner it just fell natural to me. And, no, I did not start gaming on recent consoles, I have been around since the Odyssey2 times and a major PC gamer in the early 90's.
akskiller said:
Never had issues with GFWL. But don't really care either way.
Bucket-o-roadkill said:
I agree with you. I wish we could still earn achievements without Gfwl and its bullshit, but i personally haven't had a problem with it
sikkinixx said:
I must be the only person around for whom GFWL hasn't caused any issues at all. I always just works for me, and since I have no PC gaming friends (*sob*) it's kinda nice to have the Xbox friends list and achievements.

Oh well. No biggie.
hwalker84 said:
What is the problem for GFWL? I've never had a single issue with any of these games and I like being gaming achievements for my Xbox and getting messages while playing on my PC.
Mohonky said:
Also never had a problem with GFWL, was assuming this one would be after the first title :(
Quicksilver4648 said:
I think I am the only one here who not only hasn't had a negative experience with GFWL and sees no reason to hate it, but also might prefer it. I own Dirt 2-3, Just Cause 2, GTAIV, Bioshock, and a few other yet I have not had a single bad thing to happen to me.
keltickennedy said:
Call me ignorant.....but what are the big problems with GFWL? Personally, I never had a problem with a game that featured it.
LQX said:
My only problem with GFWL is that I have to manually start it if a game requires it. Never had a problem with it and liked the fact achievements carried over on 360.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I understand this is a good thing for the majority of people, but as someone who has never had an issue with GFWL it's a bit disappointing for me if it can't be Steamworks. I like having GFWL games add achievements to my Live account, being able to bring up the tab to see my friends online on consoles and send them messages, etc.

It's not a big deal, but if it's not Steamworks I'd prefer it to be GFWL.
Yuripaw said:
I don't really have anything actively against GFWL either unless they put one of those stupid install limits on the game. Otherwise it's fine though I guess. If a game is steamworks, I prefer it that way on PC, but at least with GFWL, I can keep in contact with my xbox 360 friends while I play as well.
Foliorum Viridum said:
It's not a must, but it's nice to have it there, y'know? GFWL intergration has always been fine for me, so for it not to be there and not replaced by Steamworks is a shame.
PsychoRaven said:
Meh I'm neutral on this. I like GFWL but do hate some of the choices made with it. At the same time I never have any of the problems others have had with it.
hlhbk said:
I will never understand the hate for GFWL. I have never had an issue with it.
Complex Shadow said:
i ve never had a problem with GFWL ever. that is all.
ashley678 said:
ive still never had a problem with games for windows live. maybe its because i dont get those game on release day i dont know. but so far ive played

resident evil 5, batman arkham asylum, viva pinata and red faction

omnomis said:
Every experience I've had with GFW, especially and most recently DiRT 3, has been without incident. I don't love it, but I haven't been given a reason to be less than indifferent. Seeing my online Xbox friends is nice.
Arucardo said:
Oh well...as I've said before on multiple occasions I don't have any problems with this decision. Been playing gfwl titles since they came out and I've yet to experience it screwing me over in any way.

Even with your hundreds of people complaining about it Salsa I don't see why I'd suddenly start hating on it. Maybe when it kicks me in the balls, steals my wallet and breaks my computer I'll jump on the hatewagon, but for now I'm totally fine with it.
Live Free or Die said:
AShep said:
Cry me a fucking river. Most people don't have any problems and all I ever see is the usual suspects shitting up threads bitching about GFWL while fellating Steam over and over.
Metalic said:
I may be a minority here but, this makes me wanna buy it.

Seriously though, I don't get why people hate GFWL, corrupted save files can happen to any game.
Cheech said:
Yeah, no problems here either. I actually liked the fact I could dust off my dormant MS points and pay for a pack from Age of Empires Online.
Diablohead said:
never had a problem with GFWL even in offline mode *shrug*
KaiserBecks said:
Never had a problem with GfWl, don't really see what the fuzz is about.
-bakalhau- said:
What a rollercoaster, and I'm not even interested in the game.

Edit: Add me on that list Heavy! I've never add a problem with GFWL. Including transfering saves in between OS installs.

Guess we're just lucky? *shrug*

Hixx

Good. Might be able to pick it up for about £20 as well, I love being able to chat with folk on Live while playing.

wutwutwut

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Because a GFWL game is of significantly lower value to me than a non-GFWL game. I don't remember the exact details, but I once lost like two hours of progress in Batman because my Internet connection dropped out at some point and GFWL thought that I hadn't logged in, and Batman only allows you to save if you're logged in.

Plus there's all the crap about MS QA, which means I know patches will take longer to arrive.

What a rollercoaster, and I'm not even interested in the game.

Edit: Add me on that list Heavy! I've never add a problem with GFWL. Including transfering saves in between OS installs.

Volcynika

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Well last time I bought a GFWL game on day 1, a day 1 GFWL update broke it to where I couldn't play the game. Fun stuff.

mYqcJ.png

gdt

It took me about 1 hour to get Bulletstorm to work on my laptop. GFWL wasn't recognizing my account. The achievements are nice though, sure.

I'll still get it, day one.

bubnbob

Banned
Am I too late for the unnecessary dogpile?

Has SalsaShark mentioned his corrupted saves again?

Have I marked off everyone's agenda yet?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
raphier said:
I didn't know Witcher 2 was a GFWL game.
The Witcher 2 would be a better game without 360 controller support.

edit: GFWL has broken 2 of my games in the past, and caused weird issues in a few others. And the multiplayer support always sucks. Though I didn't have any issues in Arkham Asylum that I can remember.

Not really comfortable with people defending it here. It isn't a good platform.

McNum

There are many good games coming out for the rest of 2011, so having Batman go with GFWL just makes it easier to choose a game to delay until later. Really, it all boils down to getting a good excuse to ignore a game to keep on budget. Batman just got one.

wutwutwut

bubnbob said:
Am I too late for the unnecessary dogpile?
It is a *fact* that patches have to go through validation. If a game-breaking bug is discovered then you can be sure that the patch will arrive later than if the game were non-GFWL, and ages later than if the game were Steamworks (because Steamworks encourages rapid iteration). It's another reason I'll wait for the $7.50 Steam sale -- if I buy it at launch I can't be sure at all that the game won't have major bugs.

Interfectum

Heavy said:
Guess we're just lucky? *shrug*

You really took the time to quote all those people? Personally I don't like GFWL because that means it will take time to patch the game if there are bugs found. Unlike, say, Deus Ex which had like a day 2 patch that reduced the load times by 70%.

I don't like my PC games shackled by Microsoft's bullshit validation.

markao

Crap :(

I had way to many issues with GFWL and seeing it does not add any positives (for me), not worth the trouble.

Top Bottom