• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 pricing in Europe

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Spider_Jerusalem said:
So, why let everyone pay the high price of something only "some of us" will want/need?

I see a lot of assumptions about what people will want or need come November. I'm trying to be diplomatic here, and not extend my desires on to anyone else - I don't know what people will want, but frankly neither do you. We can only speak for ourselves.

You could ask the same of anything. Why should everyone pay for powerful CPUs and GPUs that only some people will want/need? It's clear people without a HDTV won't get as much out of that as you or I will.

Spider_Jerusalem said:
The obvious anwer is that they need to push Blu-Ray more than they want to push PS3, or they simply could have made different choices (forcing games on DVD only and making an optional Blu-Ray SKU, for example).

I don't disagree with this at all, but this nicely coincides with what I want out of the system.

Spider_Jerusalem said:
They'll ramp down, like also MS and Nintendo will do in the meanwhile. So they'll always end up having the most expensive console on the market. Will this hurt them/subtract market share? We'll see...

We'll see indeed. Again, it's down to their marketing. They've experience being in this position, though..

Spike

$399US will be the shocking price for the PS3. As in the price that people won't believe but will be rabid for.

I've always said it'll most likely be $449US. Now, $499US is looking like a distinct possibility.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DenogginizerOS said:
Perhaps Sony saw X360's selling on EBAY for $900-$1200 before XMAS and figures they should go ahead and charge a premium. It will sell out at $500-$600 MSRP, but I think $500 is high for a lot of people and more of a bad PR move than a bad price.
Right - I'm not saying $500 is a bad price per se (depends on the contents of the final package) but it veers sharply away from the business model on which they've built their share of the market thus far. EBAY markups are a very temporary situation in the grand scheme of planning for a device that should be on the market for 5-6 years, or longer.

gofreak said:
You could ask the same of anything. Why should everyone pay for powerful CPUs and GPUs that only some people will want/need? It's clear people without a HDTV won't get as much out of that as I or you will.
Exactly, infact this is why I think Nintendo's decision to stay lo-def with a weaker hardware and maintaining a low price will reveal to be quite smart, at least in the first 1-2 years of life of the console. Obviously as long as they'll be able to provide great games and good (> than gamecube) third parties support.

We'll see indeed. Again, it's down to their marketing. They've experience being in this position, though..
They're market leaders by a great margin, and this surely counts. They're no fools, they surely know what they're doing, I only think that putting an hardware at 150€ > than their competitor could be very hard to market... however I'm convinced they'll stay leading, only by a slighter margin: at least here where I live, Playstation = Console.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Sony is not stupid. Remember, at this time last year, even $349 in the US was considered extremely risky. So risky, in fact, that MS had to take one for the team and issue two SKUs -- effectively testing the market for the rest of the competition.

My theory is that Sony built this machine to be ~$349, and once market acceptance for a $399 pricepoint became clear, it became a $399 console -- that's when they decided to add the 60GB HDD. PS3 will likely not be over $399 at launch.

As hinted in the PSP price article SSx posted above, Sony theoretically should be able to deliver more than what MS did at the same price considering the year lead time and their in-house production capabilities. I'm optimistic that Sony will surprise everyone once again (if $400 could be considered a 'surprise').

BTW, doesn't most European pricing have their ridiculous taxes included? For instance, isn't VAT in the UK 17.5%? For the guys overseas, note that US prices DO NOT include tax, so comparisons are worthless.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i thought the price was announced as "not less than 50k yen"?

or was that bullsheet?
My theory is that Sony built this machine to be ~$349,

and if you believe that and the notion that they would launch in Spring, then maybe they will launch in late 2006 at $299!!!
or maybe not

LM4sure

Banned
Holy shit, that's expensive! And without a hard drive. Yikes. Sony must be awfully cocky to price it so high. I think the 360 is more of a threat than they think. How can they justify the higher cost compared to the 360 when the hardware power is very similar?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:

That was misreported. Kutaragi said nothing about price at the Business Meeting. Although in a report from BusinessWeek afterwards, they seemed to seperately quote Kutaragi has half-laughingly saying "It's not something I like to talk about. It will be expensive.", or words to that effect.

There was a seperate rumour from some time ago that Sony had told its partners that it'd be no more than than in and around that price - but that's just a rumour.

edit - here's the direct quote:

""This is not something I like to publicize, but the hardware is going to be costly," Kutaragi said." It's not clear if they're quoting him from his Business Meeting speech or seperately, though. But as far as I know, he didn't give a specific minimum figure or the like.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/mar2006/gb20060315_601738.htm

mashoutposse

Ante Up
DCharlie said:
and if you believe that and the notion that they would launch in Spring, then maybe they will launch in late 2006 at $299!!!
or maybe not

???

I stated that my theory is that they added the 60GB HDD once it was clear that they can safely increase the MSRP by ~$50. There was no 60GB HDD talk prior to the X360's retail performance. Shit, there was barely HDD talk at all.

I guess we'll all see in a few months (I don't expect pricing to be revealed at E3).

LM4sure said:
Holy shit, that's expensive! And without a hard drive. Yikes. Sony must be awfully cocky to price it so high. I think the 360 is more of a threat than they think. How can they justify the higher cost compared to the 360 when the hardware power is very similar?

:lol :lol

This particular post would be a great example for the kiddies of find as many mistakes as you can. I don't know if any single combination of words here make any sense whatsover.

"Holy shit, that's expensive!"

(Compared to the 360, it's quite reasonable, all parts considered. 360 is 400 w/ 20GB HDD and DVD. PS3 is 500 w/ 60GB and Blu-Ray and wi-fi and HDMI and free online)

"And without a hard drive. "

Hmmm.. I must have missed that this price excludes a hard drive.

"Sony must be awfully cocky to price it so high."

Or, they are pricing is based on the competition and in-line with the functionality offered.

"I think the 360 is more of a threat than they think"

Absolutely every decision Sony makes is made with both the 360 and Revolution in mind. They may be the dominant market leader, but if you think they're discounting the 360 you're crazy. They take it very, very seriously.

"How can they justify the higher cost compared to the 360 when the hardware power is very similar?"

You, of course, mean besides the larger HDD, Blu-Ray, Bluetooth, HDMI, Wi-Fi, full backwards compatability, and free online? Based on the GDC demos, I'm not fully convinced that the hardware power is very similar. I definitely think that many games will look extremely close to each other because of common development or lack of time to truly mine the HW, but the first party stuff looks aces. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Pimpwerx

I won't pay a penny more than $450. $400 is already too much IMO. I am getting the feeling that video gaming is about to pass me by. $500 can buy you an awful lot of useful stuff. Things way more practical than a fucking game console. Hell, that's a third of the price of an HDTV that you'll need to run the damn games properly. No thanks. If the PS3 lands at $500 or more, then I'll take the money I've got set aside for it, and spend it on a HDTV, a new stereo and a large box of condoms, b/c that kind of cash is best spent entertaining pussy than on gaming. I swear, Sony might just push me to get a Rev, since it'll once again be the cheapest thing around, and my love of Zelda will leave me in another shitty rut like I got into with the GC. Le sigh. PEACE.

EGM92

Has anyone thought of this marketing strat?

You release a "press statement" which aims high, very high, then go on forums like oh NeoGAF and look at the reactions to the statement in this case the price point of the console. Take in all your results then debunk the statement as something that was unofficial and fabricated. Later on you release another press statement, this time at a major press conference like E3.

I know a lot of companies do it, and this could be Sonys turn. I for one am expecting a 399.99-499.99USD release (Europe always gets screwed on electronics so something like 499E isn't unexpected). I also thought it was CONFIRMED that the PS3 would come with an HDD because it was required for games?

As a technogeek, home theater buff, and multiplatform gamer, I think the PS3 looks like an absolute steal at $499 US and frankly I'd pay $599 without thinking twice.

dante786

Banned
sonycowboy said:
:lol :lol

This particular post would be a great example for the kiddies of find as many mistakes as you can. I don't know if any single combination of words here make any sense whatsover.

"Holy shit, that's expensive!"

(Compared to the 360, it's quite reasonable, all parts considered. 360 is 400 w/ 20GB HDD and DVD. PS3 is 500 w/ 60GB and Blu-Ray and wi-fi and HDMI and free online)

"And without a hard drive. "

Hmmm.. I must have missed that this price excludes a hard drive.

"Sony must be awfully cocky to price it so high."

Or, they are pricing is based on the competition and in-line with the functionality offered.

"I think the 360 is more of a threat than they think"

Absolutely every decision Sony makes is made with both the 360 and Revolution in mind. They may be the dominant market leader, but if you think they're discounting the 360 you're crazy. They take it very, very seriously.

"How can they justify the higher cost compared to the 360 when the hardware power is very similar?"

You, of course, mean besides the larger HDD, Blu-Ray, Bluetooth, HDMI, Wi-Fi, full backwards compatability, and free online? Based on the GDC demos, I'm not fully convinced that the hardware power is very similar. I definitely think that many games will look extremely close to each other because of common development or lack of time to truly mine the HW, but the first party stuff looks aces. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

I think this is insanity and Sony isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot like a lot of people in here are assuming, but you're assuming ps3 is coming out for 500. With all the added functionality id say thats not unreasonable, and its what i expected, it is still expensive though. If it comes out for over 500, i think they put themselves in a risky situation however. As for the issue of performance, i dont know, i guess we'll have to wait and see at E3. If the difference in graphical horsepower isn't clearly apparent from the lineup 360 will have for this fall and beyond, anything over $500 could be a huge mistake, even with added blu-ray, bigger harddrive, and all the other added features.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
beer - agreed. BUT how will the mass market take to it?

saying all that, i don't expect the PS3 to cost that much ,so its all moot.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
gofreak said:
"This is not something I like to publicize, but the hardware is going to be costly," Kutaragi said.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/mar2006/gb20060315_601738.htm

"Costly" to customers or Sony itself? These remarks were made at their Business Meeting.

Let's be real -- do we honestly think that Sony was designing PS3 around a $499 MSRP back in 2004/2005? That's just ridiculous.

History dictates that Sony will price it under expectations as they did with PS1, PS2, and PSP. There was a time that DVD + backwards compatibility = $500+ pricing for PS2. PSP was supposed to be losing Sony "three man per unit" (the fuck?), but we already know that the handheld business has already turned profitable. And PS1 at $100 less than Saturn for comparable hardware was a *-ton in and of itself.

PS3: $399 or bust.

DCharlie said:
beer - agreed. BUT how will the mass market take to it?

The mass market kicks in at $199 as long as your name isn't Nintendo. 360 will surely get there first and will take some of that existing mass market. That doesn't mean Sony won't retail the top position, of course. And they'll probably capture at least half of the new market. I know people that are buying consoles that haven't owned one since the 2600.

That's my opinion, at least.

I'm probably in the minority at GAF in that I don't expect Rev to do tremendously better than the cube. I'm super pumped for one, though.

Draft

Pimpwerx said:
I won't pay a penny more than $450. $400 is already too much IMO. I am getting the feeling that video gaming is about to pass me by. $500 can buy you an awful lot of useful stuff. Things way more practical than a fucking game console. Hell, that's a third of the price of an HDTV that you'll need to run the damn games properly. No thanks. If the PS3 lands at $500 or more, then I'll take the money I've got set aside for it, and spend it on a HDTV, a new stereo and a large box of condoms, b/c that kind of cash is best spent entertaining pussy than on gaming. I swear, Sony might just push me to get a Rev, since it'll once again be the cheapest thing around, and my love of Zelda will leave me in another shitty rut like I got into with the GC. Le sigh. PEACE.
I'm with you man. let's go get some pussy with our HDTVs and stereos.

499€ would be quite nice actually if they included the hard drive. Regardless, i'm getting a PS3 on day one, so they can count with my money on their pockets :)

Shompola

Banned
mashoutposse said:
BTW, doesn't most European pricing have their ridiculous taxes included? For instance, isn't VAT in the UK 17.5%? For the guys overseas, note that US prices DO NOT include tax, so comparisons are worthless.

Thats how the comparison has worked for years now...

mashoutposse

Ante Up
That long-running "comparison" was always used as proof of how Europe gets screwed.

I agree that $1:£1 pricing would be highly unfair given the now-significant difference in value, but I don't think that's the pricing strategy these days. For instance, it appears that the PSP VP is £179 in the UK right now, while it is still $249 + tax here in the States. Right now, if you work out the price before tax, UK peeps are paying the equivalent of $269. Not exactly a screwing if you ask me -- hack, a forex fluctuation a bit in your favor and we're getting screwed :)

I also think $499 with the HDD included sounds accurate. Sony has said before that this was to be sold as a high end device. I think Sony's biggest problem will be that their installed base will shrink this generation. Nintendo and Microsoft will both cannibalize the low-mid range market for at least the next year or so, with a heavy push this Christmas. At this higher price I cannot see Sony making adequate penetration with PS3 for quite some time. If a killer game title rolls out either on the Revolution or MS 360 during this time, Sony will have a big problem on its hands.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Check the rates for most places here; if you're in the EU, subtract ~20% from the MSRP, then head to www.xe.com to determine if you're getting the short end of the stick.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/502578/ref=cs_hd_lp_1/026-4524863-7982830

DCharlie said:

or was that bullsheet?

According to xe.com, 50k yen is US$425. Not too far from $399 in the US (PS2 launched at the equivalent of $360 in Japan).

ram

attention!

sony denies the facts!!!!

official news from german pr guy!

During a wide ranging interview/discussion on Europe 1 radio last night,
Georges Fornay, Managing Director of SCE France discussed the PlayStation
3, amongst other new consumer technology products.
Reports on the web suggest that he might have indicated a price for PS3
around 500 Euros or between 499 and 599. This is a mistranslation and/or
misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the
relative value of PS3 as a Bluray Disc player.

Referring to a previous discussion about the roughly $1,000 price point of
BD players, the interviewer asked whether a price point of around $500
(dollars, not Euros) was about right for the PS3. Mr Fornay explained that,
with BD and HD functionality, PS3 at this price would be cheap for such
functionality, but that current video games machines were significantly
below this price.

At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point for PS3, and
any reports that he did so are incorrect.

He summarised by saying that PS3 would be expensive when one looked at the
price of a video games machine, at far below 500 Euros, but extremely good
value when looking at BD and HD technology inside.

No official announcement has yet been made on the price of the PS3.

FtsH

ram said:
attention!

below this price.

damage control:lol

Odysseus

Banned
FtsH said:
even a XB360 with 20G HD costs 399$, PS3 has 60G HD and BR-player...........
499$ isn't insane.

Just because Xbox 360 is already priced too high, that doesn't mean PS3 at $499+ is not, in fact, insane.

It is a foregone conclusion here at NeoGAF that the PS3 will continue to lead this industy. Does a $500 price tag impact that at all? Looking at the expectations for E3 many here don't think that M$ can show much that will get the masses attention like the PS3 will so if that is the case how long do you think it would take for the PS3 to overtake the X360 in terms of installed base if they do indeed release it for $500?

I intentionally left out the Revo because Nintendo exists in a bubble and they aren't competiting with anyone at this point if their PR is to be believed.

The Dark One

damisa

It's not always worth it to add "extras" if the price needs to be raised. Even if the "value" is increased. For example, imagine if Sony makes a single SKU which is a forced bundle. This bundle includes a Sony $1500 plasma TV, but the price of the bundle is "only" $1800. It's technically a good "value" since you'll be getting a PS3 for $300. But there will be a lot of people who couldn't afford such a bundle, and others who wouldn't want/need that TV.

NWO

Yesterday (in the Nintendo profits thread):

Everyone- "Fuck Nintendo for making a cheap console. I want a top of the line console like what Sony is doing with the PS3. HD and a ton of non gaming features FTW".

Today:

Everyone- "Fuck $500 is too much. What the hell is Sony thinking? I don't want to pay for a top of the line system."

:lol

Personally I don't give a shit about BR and would rather have the system without it and JUST PLAY GAMES so it would be cheaper. But from what everyone was saying yesterday Sony makes what the consumers want so everyone in here should just STFU since Sony makes games and systems for the consumers so your obviously wrong if you disagree with them since they already know what you want and don't tell you what you want.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Odysseus said:
Just because Xbox 360 is already priced too high, that doesn't mean PS3 at $499+ is not, in fact, insane.
value when looking at BD and HD technology inside
The PS3 will not cost less than the cheapest blue ray player. I can guarantee you that. The HD means it will cost a little more. Unless blue ray players drop dramatically in price between July and the PS3 launch $500 would be a steal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ram said:
attention!

below this price.

This context makes a lot more sense. I couldn't imagine he'd volunteer a price range himself at this stage.

RaijinFY

So in other words, Mr Fornay said the PS3 will be between 0 and 1000 (or kinda like it)? Yeah... :D George, next time, just shut your mouth, ok? :D ;)

Always the same sentence, wait and see!

ram

Slay said:
source please

me? thats all i got in that mail.

PLAYSTATION 3: Falsche Gerüchte um den Verkaufspreis

Guten Abend allerseits,

derzeit kursieren Gerüchte über einen möglichen PS3 Preis von 499 - 599
Euro. Grund ist ein Interview des französischen Radiosenders Europe 1 mit
dem Managing Director von SCE Frankreich, dessen Aussagen nun von einigen
Medien leider falsch interpretiert werden. Bitte druckt das Gerücht nicht
einfach ab, sondern verfiziert bei derartigen Angelegenheiten immer die
Richtigkeit bei SCED. Anbei die Info von SCEE.

Viele Grüße
Stefan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

below this price.

REV 09

i personally don't think that a 499usd price point is unreasonable, but i won't pay it. I'm not really a supporter of Blu Ray, i think it's too early for a new media format, and imo...any price over $399 can be basically blamed on Blu Ray...and i'm not paying extra for it. $399 or bust, my 360 has been worth that price. If it's higher that 399 then i may get a REVO this year and wait a few years for Sony's next gen console.

But honestly, none of this discussion really matters until after E3. For me, it's all about the games, and we'll see just that in May 06.

REV 09 said:
i personally don't think that a 499usd price point is unreasonable, but i won't pay it. I'm not really a supporter of Blu Ray, i think it's too early for a new media format, and imo...any price over $399 can be basically blamed on Blu Ray...and i'm not paying extra for it. $399 or bust, my 360 has been worth that price. If it's higher that 399 then i may get a REVO this year and wait a few years for Sony's next gen console.

But honestly, none of this discussion really matters until after E3. For me, it's all about the games, and we'll see just that in May 06.

word. I'm still waiting for a price drop before I pick up the 360, my #1 choice for this generation. since my friend owns one though and I can play it over there [I've even bought games for it, go go 360 software] I've been toying with the idea of getting the ps3 instead, then together we'd have both bases covered. there's no way though I'm paying over $400 for it... looks like no next gen for me until xmas.

Top Bottom