• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: All Guns Blazing

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
For a change, a positive Nintendo editorial, from Gamesindustry.

it's the first time in years that Nintendo has faced the prospect of a genuine market failure, forcing a somewhat humiliating U-turn on pricing mere months after the device hit the market. At the new, lower price point, the 3DS has sold steadily - but many still openly question whether there is a real future for the platform.

What makes this fascinating is that Nintendo is clearly unwilling to accept defeat lying down.
Nintendo has focused its sights on the 3DS, determined to support the platform with an immense push in terms of aggressive pricing and promotion, extensive internal software development, and the calling in of favours from third-party publishers around the globe.
For all that the 3DS is still frequently met with claims that "there are no games", this is likely to be Nintendo's fastest and most aggressive schedule of first-party software in many, many years.

What's even more interesting, though, is the work the company is putting into third-party relationships. If even half of the rumours are true, TGS will see almost every major Japanese software publisher lining up to announce major games for the 3DS platform
It's easy to poke fun at such an unloveable slab of plastic, but while Twitter sought to come up with disparaging names for the peripheral ("Frankenstick" is a personal favourite), it's quite possible that there were some pretty worried faces at Sony's headquarters in Tokyo. Monster Hunter, after all, is the series which breathed new life into the beleaguered PSP in Japan.
it wants kids to graduate from Pokemon (one title which does remain curiously absent from the 3DS' release schedule for the moment) to Monster Hunter without ever leaving Nintendo platforms behind.

If it can achieve that - and bear in mind here that it's probably got quite a few months of lead time on any potential Vita version, as well as a price point that's significantly lower than Sony's upcoming hardware - then the 3DS' market position will start to look a lot more solid.
it's also worth bearing in mind that many publishers have a strong vested interest in seeing the 3DS succeed. For publishers and developers faced with an uncertain future at the mercy of the extremely low price points and unfamiliar business models represented by the rapidly growing iOS model of handheld gaming, the 3DS is a potential lifeline - while for those companies whose focus on RPGs and other niche titles that are too expensive to develop on HD consoles, the 3DS (like the DS before it) represents the potential to reach a broad, modern audience without spending more money that it cost to develop on the PS2.

The 3DS, in other words, might not just be good for Nintendo - it could be good for a whole swathe of the traditional games industry, which presently fears being crushed between the twin giants of low-risk, low-revenue iOS, and high-risk, prohibitively expensive AAA console development. It's no wonder, then, that Nintendo doesn't lack for allies when it seeks to bolster the position of the 3DS - and it simply makes it all the more fascinating that this is no longer a battle to make a console successful, but rather a battle to secure a future for an entire business model.
Kuddos to gamesindustry for covering the recent news, rumors and leaks with a different angle.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think the 3DS in Japan is going to do extremely well. The price and upcoming software pretty much guarantees it. Not quite as positive about the rest of the world. The add on monstrosity obscured some genuinely big news with Tri G.

markot

Banned
Guns blazing, AT ITS OWN HEAD! Amirite!

Also Graduate from pokemon to monster hunter?!

More like be held back a year, demoted and thrown out of your house >_>!

Nintendo also needs to push its 3dstore better, this week nothing was released on the 3dstore in Australia. NOTHING!

Also >.< the Nintendo video is a waste of bandwidth, stupid idea. Do a deal with Youtube for a 3ds channel app >_>;

Also as well, promote 3ds retail games better on the actual console. Why cant I see ingame 3d vids of star fox? Of all the games at retail? What about demos?! Nintendo, I love ya, but sometimes you seem so stuck in your own ways....

DGRE

Banned
DbTDv.jpg

Oh, wait...

theBishop

Banned
Interesting that they mention 3rd party relations. Part of the 01.net rumor claimed that 3DS dev kits are hard to come by:

Third-party support is key to the 3DS’s potentiel success. Only they can enrich the software line-up, suffering so far from a relatively low volume of fresh titles, which makes Nintendo’s ongoing policy towards developers all the less coherent. The submission and approval process is described as very costly, time-consuming and often arbitrary in nature. Worse even, dev kits are still extremely scarce. Although no longer produced by Intelligent Systems – Nintendo’s hardware R&D arm – but outsourced to Tokyo Electric and Marubeni, dev kits are still produced at a ridiculously slow pace (300 units per month), and sold for a hefty price. As a consequence, even six months after the release, the waiting lists are getting more crowded, and many studios are still waiting for a chance to develop on the 3DS. This erratic situation is described by our source as a good example of serious management mishaps inside the Big N, that act as an impediment to developer relations and hardware adoption by consumers.

disco

Thank you! Rational common sense for once. No one ever seems to recognise how bad 'more power' is. It ups development costs, it streamlines the industry into more FPS'. Do you remember all those quirky awesome games on the DS? They were there because they were cheap.

theBishop

Banned
discocaine said:
Thank you! Rational common sense for once. No one ever seems to recognise how bad 'more power' is. It ups development costs, it streamlines the industry into more FPS'. Do you remember all those quirky awesome games on the DS? They were there because they were cheap.

You can develop "cheap" games on expensive hardware. Have you seen Limbo? Everyday Shooter?

Let's be real here, the most exciting "quirky" games coming out right now are on PSN and XBLA.

Triton55

If there's one good thing about the 3DS struggling, it's that Nintendo hopefully learns they can't get away with a Wii U launch that lacks flagship 1st party games and a competitive price.

Azure J

AbsoluteZero said:
The industry needs Nintendo to keep things fresh and interesting.

This much is true. Sony & Microsoft don't deliver half the omgwtflol (good or bad) that Nintendo does without them around.

SneakyStephan said:
More like Wii-U-Turn hur hur hur hur.

We've found our new "spin 360 degrees and walk away" joke ladies and gentlemen. :lol

Utako

Banned
If Nintendo cared about the 3DS's future, they would have funded MML3's completion.

Those guns are firing smoke straight up the asses of shareholders.

Sennorin

Banned
marc^o^ said:
For a change, a positive Nintendo editorial,

Meh, to be honest, doesn´t really matter anymore if positive or negative. too. many. nintendo. threads.

Anyways, I don´t like the "graduate from Pokemon to Monster Hunter". If Nintendo really thought like that, they´d better do their best to improve Pokemon so players don´t feel the need to "graduate".

Akkad

Banned
AzureJericho said:
This much is true. Sony & Microsoft don't deliver half the omgwtflol (good or bad) that Nintendo does without them around.

lol, some Nintendo fan really are delusional.

Utako said:
If Nintendo cared about the 3DS's future, they would have funded MML3's completion.

Those guns are firing smoke straight up the asses of shareholders.
I think they'd be better off concentrating on games that would actually sell.

Utako

Banned
Wrestlemania said:
I think they'd be better off concentrating on games that would actually sell.
Except the promise of MML3 sold 3DSs. It seems evident that this isn't a quality of the entire library!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Don't care about Nintendo, but the thread title reminded me about how awesome Judas Priest's 'All Guns Blazing' is. Off to YouTube.

Cipherr

Utako said:

Monster Hunter will actually move units and hardware.

Smision said:
it's a nintendo thread

Dont disappoint us by not being a regular, its expected of you now.

Utako said:
Except the promise of MML3 sold 3DSs. It seems evident that this isn't a quality of the entire library!

Not even close to the level of MH. I understand you wanted the game, but lets not get ridiculous.

Utako said:
Haha, you think they sold a remotely significant amount of hardware to people who wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for MML3? Absurd. No doubt there were a few people who might have, but I doubt that game would have an any major impact if it were ever released, beyond perhaps satisfying a small fanbase who are seemingly incredibly passionate about the series.

Deku

Banned
This really reminds me of Nintendo;'s work with the GBA SP.

Remember the no backlight mess, then the original SP's increadibly weird sidelighting?

SP was also announced right around N-Gage's launch and widely seen as a response to N-Gage.

markot

Banned
Mega man a system seller?

Not even in his 16 bit glory days. (Yes, Megaman x was >>>>>>>>> the 8bit ones)

I think the real negative news stuff will come when we start knowing more about WiiU
I think Nintendo will still do just fine with the 3DS even with a 3DS lite

Nekofrog

Banned
I really, truly, honestly do not see it this way.

The 3DS is a sinking ship and Nintendo knows it. They won't admit it, but they know it. They are furiously trying to throw water out of their sinking canoe with a bucket, while a rescue ship drifts by slowly. Looking up, they scream "NO REALLY WE'RE FINE" and continue heaving buckets of water out.

If nothing else, the image of Iwata and Miyamoto in the situation above makes me laugh from the goofiness of it.

The 3DS is fixable, but I don't think it's worth it. Nintendo's head is no longer in the game after years of being on top.

Orayn

Combichristoffersen said:
Don't care about Nintendo, but the thread title reminded me about how awesome Judas Priest's 'All Guns Blazing' is. Off to YouTube.
ALL!
GUNS!
ALL GUNS BLAZING!
Deku said:
This really reminds me of Nintendo;'s work with the GBA SP.

Remember the no backlight mess, then the original SP's increadibly weird sidelighting?

SP was also announced right around N-Gage's launch and widely seen as a response to N-Gage.
All I can remember is people gushing over the fact that the GBA was now rechargeable and could be played in less than perfect lighting conditions. Also, they absolutely nailed the form factor.

cj_iwakura

Nintendo's situation reminds me of Sega's, only it's entirely their own fault. Poetic justice.
(I think Sega's was partially bad management and mostly the brutal competition.)

Combichristoffersen said:

I do care about Nintendo, but I agree with the Priest.

Man, I think I'm about to pop in Painkiller now.

theBishop

Banned
jman2050 said:

Nothing against pc because it does have some incredibly creative indie developers. But I think Sony and ms have some crucial relationships that edge out pc. Thatgamecompany, twisted pixel, queasy games, and q games to name a few.

Regardless, it feeds into my point that you can easily do low budget indie games on the most powerful hardware. It's actually easier because you barely have to optimize anything. Nobody cares if Limbo is using system resources efficiently.

Well, I guess we'll see on the 13th, won't we? If they come out on stage and just present a new Yoshi or something, then that's probably a misfire. Unless they genetically engineered a real Yoshi. Now that's a blazing gun.

Pachterballs said:
They kinda just need to go third party/multiplatform imo and make some iOS games too.
They'll make more money selling fewer copies of their game on their own hardware than they ever would selling their game on iOS, not to mention the money they make from third party licensing fees.

Top Bottom