• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: All Guns Blazing

Sadist

Divvy said:
What is this in reference to? Has there been a slew of newly announced games (aside from MH3) that I haven't heard about?
He's referring to the Japanese release list, which includes (for this year) Kid Icarus, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, New Love Plus, Monster Hunter Tri G, Rocket Slime and Inazuma Elven Go.

Sadist said:
He's referring to the Japanese release list, which includes (for this year) Kid Icarus, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, New Love Plus, Monster Hunter Tri G, Rocket Slime and Inazuma Elven Go.

And also DQX announcement whose importance cannot be understated

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Divvy said:
What is this in reference to? Has there been a slew of newly announced games (aside from MH3) that I haven't heard about?

I assume he was more speaking about Japan, which will have a mainline Mario game, Mario Kart, Inazuma Eleven, Monster Hunter, and I think I'm missing something else, all coming by the end of the year. That is really an insane lineup.

Orayn

Fallout-NL said:
Hehe, 5 years along and the best you can do is telling me to wait for one Zelda title.
You grossly underestimate Zelda titles.
Momo said:
They pretty much suck for those of us who need precision
If you count the IR pointer as "motion controls," then they beat the everloving hell out of analog sticks when it comes to precision.

Infinite

Sadist said:
Monhan Tri-G is coming out in Japan this year?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JasoNsider said:
And also DQX announcement whose importance cannot be understated

DQX might have a positive impact on Wii U, but what impact will it have on 3DS?

cj_iwakura said:
Nintendo's situation reminds me of Sega's, only it's entirely their own fault. Poetic justice.
(I think Sega's was partially bad management and mostly the brutal competition.)
How was Sega dropping out of the hardware business and going 3rd party not their own fault? They constantly greenlit games that weren't going to sell, Threw millions of dollars behind risky games and financially made incredibly stupid decisions. If Sega at that time had a slightly more conservative Nintendo-like strategy they likely wouldn't have fallen out(or at least as quickly).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Sadist said:

Oh, yeah I guess so. Would be nice if monster hunter came out this year in NA. Which won't happen lol.

schuelma said:

This is starting to really de-rail. We were looking at the big picture and original statement. "Nintendo has done something kind of amazing here." The big picture: you need a Nintendo console to play the biggest games.

The 3DS release list is quite amazing, though. The Japanese are going to be especially lucky to receive the surprise Monster Hunter 3DS this year.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
schuelma said:
It seems DQ will include street pass features, which will make any walk in Japan a chance to earn things for the game.

Deku

Banned
schuelma said:
Probably the connectivity aspect to use the 3DS as a tagging machine.

Also put me in the camp that thinks the redesign/add-on would mean they're seriously positioning the 3DS as a 2nd controller to the WiiU and has less to do with Nintendo's response to the Vita. Which is months late and no longer has a price advantage when it was at price parity with the 3DS

test_account

XP-39C²
Orayn said:
No Wii means no Super Mario Galaxy and no Monster Hunter Tri.
That's not a world I want to live in.
Monster Hunter Tri was first planned for the PS3, so i think that this game would have been out regardless. Super Mario Galaxy however would most likely not been made without a new Nintendo console (unless Nintendo kept on supporting the Gamecube, then maybe we would have seen Super Mario Galaxy on the Gamecube instead).

Infinite

schuelma said:

Its a Dragon Quest game, brah. It's definitely gonna increase the sales of any console its own and sell a ton.

Lord_Byron28 said:
How was Sega dropping out of the hardware business and going 3rd party not their own fault? They constantly greenlit games that weren't going to sell, Threw millions of dollars behind risky games and financially made incredibly stupid decisions. If Sega at that time had a slightly more conservative Nintendo-like strategy they likely wouldn't have fallen out(or at least as quickly).
I never understood this belief either. Nintendo is in a vastly different position than Sega was upon its drop out of the hardware business. When your opinion begins to coincide with what investors "think would work," there's trouble. I'm referring, of course, to the recent article (can't remember where) stating that Nintendo should drop out and develop for iOS - chasing that flavor of the week, as always.

Raziel

hopefully the ds brand completely dies with the 3ds and in a last ditch desperation move nintendo launches the "Gameboy 4"

i cant be the only one wants the gameboy back?

Divvy said:
Well the known holiday lineup is composed of DQ Slime, Inazuma eleven, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, Love Plus, and MH Tri G. So that's pretty impressive in and of itself. Then there is still Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil Revelations, Kingdom Hearts, and Metal Gear Solid coming out next year. Who knows what else there will be at the 3DS conference but based on what's been rumored and said about it there should be quite a few interesting smaller titles anounced as well.

Sigh... Can't make a Nintendo topic without all the damn negativity/trolling. I still don't see the 3DS becoming a failure with the games that are coming out. Who doesn't want a new Super Mario 3D , Mario Kart, Monster Hunter game? Not to mention the fact that they have KI, Kingdom Hearts, and RE:R coming out pretty soon as well. Oh yeah, and then there is the inevitable Pokemon game that will come out soon, since Nintendo wants the 3DS to succeed, which of course will push a million+ units easily.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Lord_Byron28 said:
Well the known holiday lineup is composed of DQ Slime, Inazuma eleven, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, Love Plus, and MH Tri G. So that's pretty impressive in and of itself. Then there is still Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil Revelations, Kingdom Hearts, and Metal Gear Solid coming out next year. Who knows what else there will be at the 3DS conference but based on what's been rumored and said about it there should be quite a few interesting smaller titles anounced as well.
Has a new online PES been confirmed?

Infinite

raziel said:
hopefully the ds brand completely dies with the 3ds and in a last ditch desperation move nintendo launches the "Gameboy 4"

idk man, I just want to play good games on whatever console they are on whether it be a 3DS or Gameboy Extend or somthing.

raziel said:

What for? The DS brand could probably do more than what a Gameboy 4 could do in terms of gameplay.

Sennorin

Banned
I´d love to see a "GameBoy 4"-announcement just to get another nostalgia-flash like when Nike announced the BTTF-shoes two days ago :>

Orayn said:
You grossly underestimate Zelda titles.

I love Zelda games.

But it's pretty sad when I can wait for a system to come all the fucking way down in price, pick up 2 Mario Galaxy titles on the cheap (+ the one Zelda title), and not miss very much at all.

discocaine said:
No one ever seems to recognise how bad 'more power' is. It ups development costs, it streamlines the industry into more FPS'. Do you remember all those quirky awesome games on the DS? They were there because they were cheap.

Absolute rubbish.

jeremy1456

StickSoldier said:
Sigh... Can't make a Nintendo topic without all the damn negativity/trolling. I still don't see the 3DS becoming a failure with the games that are coming out. Who doesn't want a new Super Mario 3D , Mario Kart, Monster Hunter game? Not to mention the fact that they have KI, Kingdom Hearts, and RE:R coming out pretty soon as well. Oh yeah, and then there is the inevitable Pokemon game that will come out soon, since Nintendo wants the 3DS to succeed, which of course will push a million+ units easily.

No one in their right mind thinks its going to be a failure but many have made an emotional investment in the Vita and are therefore lashing out.e

Sennorin said:
I´d love to see a "GameBoy 4"-announcement just to get another nostalgia-flash like when Nike announced the BTTF-shoes two days ago :>

Yeah I guess that'd be cool, but these ain't shoes that we're talking about lol... That'd probably fucking alienate ALL of the 3DS's user base.

jeremy1456 said:
No one in their right mind thinks its going to be a failure but many have made an emotional investment in the Vita and are therefore lashing out.e

Who knows, just seems like a lot of people here like to troll or really do think it's going to fail. I'll wait till these games release before rushing to judgement.

Sennorin

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Yeah I guess that'd be cool, but these ain't shoes that we're talking about lol... That'd probably fucking alienate ALL of the 3DS's user base.

Just imagine Reggie on a darkened stage, then some crazy music starts, gets crazier and crazier, suddenly stops, and on a screen, a glowing brand appears, while Reggie says "It´s GameBoy 4".
And then they´re showing how it´s Nintendo´s answer to smartphones, basically being a smartphone as everyone knows them, but with sleek positioned analog pad, dpad and buttons. And since it would really be a smartphone, it wouldn´t compete with the 3DS, which is *just* a toy.

omg, I´m drooling...

A positive Nintendo article? That can't be true, because everyone is out to get Nintendo since the 1800s.

It's good but expected that Nintendo is bringing more software to the 3DS this fall, even though I'm not interested in a lot of them.

Tuck

Utako said:
If Nintendo cared about the 3DS's future, they would have funded MML3's completion.

Those guns are firing smoke straight up the asses of shareholders.

I don't think that game would have been as big as you think it would have been.

Sennorin said:
Just imagine Reggie on a darkened stage, then some crazy music starts, gets crazier and crazier, suddenly stops, and on a screen, a glowing brand appears, while Reggie says "It´s GameBoy 4".
And then they´re showing how it´s Nintendo´s answer to smartphones, basically being a smartphone as everyone knows them, but with sleek positioned analog pad, dpad and buttons. And since it would really be a smartphone, it wouldn´t compete with the 3DS, which is *just* a toy.

omg, I´m drooling...

Haha, yeah that'd be some wild shit.. I guess if it's a smart phone, I'd be down. It'd have to have a VC though, and a good keyboard for texting! Oh yeah, I want a lot of Nintendo ringtones.

Raziel

StickSoldier said:
What for? The DS brand could probably do more than what a Gameboy 4 could do in terms of gameplay.
1 screen.

call it personal preference, but i just want one screen. the dual screens have always had a forced, gimmicky quality i was never able to reconcile, and is the main reason i think ive never bought or even wanted any ds. i also dont like playing with a stylus.

also i appreciate the simplicity of the gameboy. to date, the gameboys are the only handhelds ive ever played outside of the house. having said that, i would welcome 4 face buttons, a couple of analog sticks, and [begrudgingly] touchscreen capability, in a modern update of it.

Willy105 said:
What do you suppose this generation would have been like without Nintendo's hijinks?
Better? I mean sure we've had some gems like Xenoblade and Another Code:R and 999 etc etc but overall? It'd mean Sony and MS wouldn't have fallen over themselves to embrace the casual waggle culture, for me that would have been a much better generation as a gamer

pvpness

raziel said:
1 screen.

call it personal preference, but i just want one screen. the dual screens have always had a forced, gimmicky quality i was never able to reconcile, and is the main reason i think ive never bought or even wanted any ds. i also dont like playing with a stylus.

also i appreciate the simplicity of the gameboy. to date, the gameboys are the only handhelds ive ever played outside of the house. having said that, i would welcome 4 face buttons, a couple of analog sticks, and [begrudgingly] touchscreen capability, in a modern update of it.
Sony's got you covered on that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
BlazingDarkness said:
Better? I mean sure we've had some gems like Xenoblade and Another Code:R and 999 etc etc but overall? It'd mean Sony and MS wouldn't have fallen over themselves to embrace the casual waggle culture, for me that would have been a much better generation as a gamer
So you'd rather miss the numerous gems indicated by your "etc etc" just so that a few Kinect/Move games wouldn't exist even though nobody forces you to play them and the other output of Sony and MS wasn't really affected by them (hey look, once again we're waiting for more Uncharted and more Gears of War, as usual)? Weird.
raziel said:
1 screen.

This makes little sense to me, what you ask for is essentially a 3DS, just with the touch screen on top of the main screen (and an extra analog but whatever, details, and you barely wanted to add those inputs yourself). Playing 3DS you can largely ignore its second "screen" aspect and simply use it as what it mainly is, another input method. Like having a touchpad on your laptop. It doesn't stop you from enjoying anything else, your keyboard or controller, it just adds another layer for the cases where it's necessary or neat to have. And you don't have to use your stylus unless it's a precision touch game in which case you wouldn't want to not use it. I mean, what's so bad about having a second screen in say, Super Street Fighter? You look at the main screen, use the buttons you love to use, and also have a few touch shortcuts that you can press without having to put your finger over the action, and without the stylus. Plenty other games work comparably to this if you really want to avoid all the ones that use the screen in a more prominent manner. You've missed out on tons of gems over the last handheld generation for rather insignificant reasons, man.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i'm expecting nintendo to start making big changes to their business model.

actually, i'm expecting it for the whole game industry in the next 5-10 years.

This is a Nintendo thread. I am going to make a comment now. It is either negative or positive, but is most definitely ground that has been tread over a million times to the point of everyone around me wanting to throw up. That was also a run-on sentence. Here is a wall of pointless armchair analysis text or list of failures that helps me pad my argument out.

*long walls of text with fake sales data thrown in*

(For the record, I ignored the OP and just came in to throw my 2 cents in about Nintendo's state in the industry as of now.)

mclem

BlazingDarkness said:

Out of interest, how many of the companies that went bust this gen did so from putting lots and lots of money into an HD flop?

Do note that 'flop' does not necessarily mean 'poor game'.

michaeltraps said:
If you're referring to Sony and MS and their desperate race to motion controls after the success of the Wii, I don't think either the Move or Kinect have really altered the output of either of those companies on the "core gamer" front, contrary to popular belief.
I'd generally agree, but... Poor Rare. :(

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
While I don't think Nintendo is doomed, they are certainly at an interesting point in history.

First thing Nintendo should do is try and turn this wave of criticism away from them; not that I think the articles are right (99% of them is console warrior bullshit), but it is the whole sensation of negativism that is forming, very much like the one formed during the early PS3 days (PS3 has no games, Lair will save the PS3, PSP sells because of UMD movies, etc), and that certainly did hurt Sony and it's consoles.

The answer to that criticism is of course, games; and games that will shut the critics. I think they are doing a decent job with the 3DS in Japan (getting the full MHTriG edition while their competitor is only getting an upgraded port of a MH3P, Inazuma Eleven, Mario and Mario Kart; and securing Dragon Quest on the near future on their consoles and handhelds), and once their games start rolling here, I think the machine will be very healthy.

On the Wii U side, they have shown literally nothing, except the controller (which is the most "convenient" controller I've ever seen, and I will love every second using it, because the idea of playing big console games on a handheld at night while the wife watches TV or sleeps, is really awesome; also having a map on the hand and doing other stuff while playing, should be really great, and it has so many uses, it's awesome) and that it'll have enhanced ports of current gen console titles, which is... neat. One thing they've done is securing DQX, which is an excellent move.

But the thing they need next E3 is to have a game on Wii U, that's not Mario, Zelda or Metroid, that will leave the members of the press with their mouths open. Everyone expects a new Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Metroid and such, and everyone expects those games to be "similar, but with a Nintendo twist" to what's already on the market.

What Nintendo needs is to wow the audience, like they did with Mario 64 on the N64; Metroid Prime on the GCN, or awesome trailers like Zelda Tp or Metroid other M. They can do this at the moment, because everyone has relatively low expectations (Nintendo expectations are never low).

They also need is to gain some momentum with the 3DS. The thing they have in advantage is that their competitors are really confused at the moment, they know they need a new console sooner rather than later (because they'll want to release those with a good momentum and not having to build everything again), but the problem is that there is no real need for a new Xbox or PS4, because there are no significant advancements on the road they are following; a new console from them almost certainly means a powerful PC with some branding in it and the controllers will stay mainly the same on the PS4 (DS4 with back touchscreen, I call it now), and the new Xbox will probably focus more on Kinect (you know it's true).

So in the end I don't see all the Doom and Gloom, but I would certainly hope Nintendo does everything in their power to stop the negativity.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
PigSpeakers said:
This is a Nintendo thread. I am going to make a comment now. It is either negative or positive, but is most definitely ground that has been tread over a million times to the point of everyone around me wanting to throw up. That was also a run-on sentence. Here is a wall of pointless armchair analysis text or list of failures that helps me pad my argument out.

(For the record, I ignored the OP and just came in to throw my 2 cents in about Nintendo's state in the industry as of now.)
.gif of disbelief and ridicule

PigSpeakers said:

Comment about how it is always the juniors.

mclem

manueldelalas said:
But the thing they need next E3 is to have a game on Wii U, that's not Mario, Zelda or Metroid, that will leave the members of the press with their mouths open. Everyone expects a new Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Metroid and such, and everyone expects those games to be "similar, but with a Nintendo twist" to what's already on the market.

What I'd like to see for Wii U is something they had for the first major appearance of the Wii at E3 - the constant dripfeed of awesome news. It wasn't just the press conference, we got little extra bits as the show went on; the Wii completely owned the news cycle for pretty much all of E3. If they can achieve that, it could well sway the critics.

I've got an audio track somewhere of the audience during the Smash Bros Brawl reveal with Pit, Meta Knight and Wario... and then Snake. It was pretty deafening.

KevinCow

Banned
raziel said:
1 screen.

You make no sense.

The second screen isn't the greatest thing ever, but it takes nothing away. It's just another option that developers have.

Some games make extensive use of the second touch screen, and do it well. If these games aren't your thing, then okay, that's fine. You don't have to play these games. But it's nice for developers to have the option there for people who do enjoy these games. Or maybe you might actually try some of them before passing judgment and find that they aren't as bad as you assume.

Some games make small but convenient use of the second screen, such as showing maps and HUD elements to free up screen real estate on the main screen or let you see stuff without pausing, and this is nice but not absolutely game changing. I don't see how this kind of use would cause issues. When I play games like these, I don't even really notice the second screen.

And yeah, games use the touch screen and second screen poorly, often in forced, crappy, gimmicky ways. But that's not exactly exclusive to the DS. There are crappy games on every system.

It's like being against your car having cupholders because you don't usually drink anything while driving. So instead of just buying a car and not using the cupholders like a reasonable person, you refuse to buy any car that has cupholders.

As far as the Gameboy being simple, I'm pretty sure that wasn't due to some inherent quality of the Gameboy brand, but more because the last Gameboy launched over a decade ago.

Top Bottom