• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: All Guns Blazing

DjangoReinhardt said:
Mario Kart 7.

At least it took 'em 20 years to get there instead of the 7 years it took for the Call of Duty franchise to get there.

Actually 5 years if you want to count console ports.

Raziel

KevinCow said:
You make no sense.

The second screen isn't the greatest thing ever, but it takes nothing away. It's just another option that developers have.

Some games make extensive use of the second touch screen, and do it well. If these games aren't your thing, then okay, that's fine. You don't have to play these games. But it's nice for developers to have the option there for people who do enjoy these games. Or maybe you might actually try some of them before passing judgment and find that they aren't as bad as you assume.

Some games make small but convenient use of the second screen, such as showing maps and HUD elements to free up screen real estate on the main screen or let you see stuff without pausing, and this is nice but not absolutely game changing. I don't see how this kind of use would cause issues. When I play games like these, I don't even really notice the second screen.

And yeah, games use the touch screen and second screen poorly, often in forced, crappy, gimmicky ways. But that's not exactly exclusive to the DS. There are crappy games on every system.

It's like being against your car having cupholders because you don't usually drink anything while driving. So instead of just buying a car and not using the cupholders like a reasonable person, you refuse to buy any car that has cupholders.

As far as the Gameboy being simple, I'm pretty sure that wasn't due to some inherent quality of the Gameboy brand, but more because the last Gameboy launched over a decade ago.
i dont see how i dont make sense. i want 1 screen; the ds has two. that is amazingly simple and straightforward to comprehend. i dont want to use a stylus, many games use one. also simple.

your car/cupholder analogy is what makes no sense. a more apt analogy is not wanting a wii because i dont like motion controls. saying certain games use motion controls well does not reconcile my issue of not wanting to use motion controls. saying you sometimes dont even notice the motion controls doesnt reconcile my issue of not wanting to use motion controls.

you say that if these games with dual screen use arent my thing, that its ok; that its fine; that i dont have to play them. im fully aware of that and that is exactly what i have chose to do: not play them. or more specifically, not buy a ds. again not seeing the part that doesnt make sense.

and i never said the gameboy brand was inherently simple. i said i appreciated its simplicity, and openly welcomed more modern conventions like 4 face buttons and analog sticks if it were to be updated today.

Would it be so hard for folks that don't like Nintendo's hardware and software to just go "Yeah, it's not for me, but have fun with it if it's your thing." instead of "Nintendo? They don't deserve their success because I don't like their products."

That's just straight up "Haters gonna hate" territory.

I said this the other day, but I'm not particular a fan of Chevrolet or Toyota, but I don't want them to go out of business. Competition is good for their industry, just like it is for videogames.

AbsoluteZero said:
The industry needs Nintendo to keep things fresh and interesting.
250px-Malibu_Stacy.JPG

Fantastical

Death Prophet
raziel said:
1 screen.

call it personal preference, but i just want one screen. the dual screens have always had a forced, gimmicky quality i was never able to reconcile, and is the main reason i think ive never bought or even wanted any ds. i also dont like playing with a stylus.

also i appreciate the simplicity of the gameboy. to date, the gameboys are the only handhelds ive ever played outside of the house. having said that, i would welcome 4 face buttons, a couple of analog sticks, and [begrudgingly] touchscreen capability, in a modern update of it.
I'm in complete disagreement with you (love the touch screen and the dual screen design), but at the very least it pretty much ensures that Nintendo will go with a clamshell design which, in my opinion, is far superior than the unprotected screen design of the PSP and Vita. Sure, Nintendo could do it anyways, but it pretty much forces them to do that on the DS/3DS which I love.

I'm terrified to take my PSP anywhere.

KevinCow

Banned
raziel said:
i dont see how i dont make sense. i want 1 screen; the ds has two. that is amazingly simple and straightforward to comprehend. i dont want to use a stylus, many games use one. also simple.

"I want one screen and don't want to use the stylus, and will therefore not buy a DS or 3DS."

But lots of games on the system basically don't use the second screen or stylus, you could just play those and ignore the games that do use such features.

"NO SHUT UP THOSE FEATURES SUCK AND I HATE THEM ADSPOHGPAIBRSGPSDGFPAUOSGN"

UraMallas

discocaine said:
Thank you! Rational common sense for once. No one ever seems to recognise how bad 'more power' is. It ups development costs, it streamlines the industry into more FPS'. Do you remember all those quirky awesome games on the DS? They were there because they were cheap.
They were there because of the enormous install base. You can make cheap quirky games anywhere from phones to HD consoles. One need look no further than XBLA or PSN for mid-sized company/mid-sized budget success.

It's easy to poke fun at such an unloveable slab of plastic, but while Twitter sought to come up with disparaging names for the peripheral ("Frankenstick" is a personal favourite), it's quite possible that there were some pretty worried faces at Sony's headquarters in Tokyo. Monster Hunter, after all, is the series which breathed new life into the beleaguered PSP in Japan.

indeed. just had to post this

LOL

Raziel

KevinCow said:
"I want one screen and don't want to use the stylus, and will therefore not buy a DS or 3DS."

But lots of games on the system basically don't use the second screen or stylus, you could just play those and ignore the games that do use such features.

"NO SHUT UP THOSE FEATURES SUCK AND I HATE THEM ADSPOHGPAIBRSGPSDGFPAUOSGN"
buying a ds and fact checking every single game as such - "does it use both screens? does it use the stylus? because i hate both of those things" - makes zero sense. eventually someone reasonable would have to inquire "Why the fuck did you buy a Nintendo Dual Screen if you dont like the idea of dual screens?"

similar to buying a wii if i dont like motion controls - why would i buy a console with motion controls if i hate motion controls?

"I DONT KNOW SOME GAMES DONT USE THEM BUY IT ANYWAY SDNSKBGSIGFIUSBGUSGSLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

qq more

raziel said:
buying a ds and fact checking every single game as such - "does it use both screens? does it use the stylus? because i hate both of those things" - makes zero sense. eventually someone reasonable would have to inquire "Why the fuck did you buy a Nintendo Duals Screen if you dont like the idea of dual screens"

similar to buying a wii if i dont like motion controls - why would i buy a console with motion controls if i hate motion controls?

"I DONT KNOW SOME GAMES DONT USE THEM BUY IT ANYWAY SDNSKBGSIGFIUSBGUSGSLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"
Not all games require dual screens and motion controls in their respective systems, dude.

EDIT: Nevermind, misread.

BLagiver

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
The industry needs Nintendo to keep things fresh and interesting.

They could do this by becoming a software and peripheral only company and everyone would win because the hardware and online would be top notch. Nintendo is not a hardware tech company so they need to leave that stuff to the big boys and I don't call Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby every gen fresh at all. I call it predictable and boring after 25 years

I will say Nintendo is firing big guns when they give us the online we want. XBL/PSN/Steam level of goodness.

freddy

Banned
BLagiver said:
They could do this by becoming a software and peripheral only company and everyone would win because the hardware and online would be top notch. Nintendo is not a hardware tech company so they need to leave that stuff to the big boys and I don't call Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby every gen fresh at all. I call it predictable and boring after 25 years

I will say Nintendo is firing big guns when they give us the online we want. XBL/PSN/Steam level of goodness.
Well that didn't take long.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
BLagiver said:

BLagiver

theBishop

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Would it be so hard for folks that don't like Nintendo's hardware and software to just go "Yeah, it's not for me, but have fun with it if it's your thing." instead of "Nintendo? They don't deserve their success because I don't like their products."

Doesn't it go further than that? I mean, even if you're 100% fine with the hardware in Wii, Nintendo isn't even close to pushing that to it's furthest extent. There's no reason Wii couldn't have a competent online system. If Nintendo was a hungrier company, Wii would be at least as impressive as Xbox1. Xbox1 had a great online system, and some really impressive games (Half Life 2, Doom3). Instead, we get friend codes, and Nintendo's most technically advanced studio (Retro) just put out a 2d game after 3 years of inactivity.

I'm not saying you shouldn't like Nintendo, or their games. But don't act like it's a mystery why there's some people are disappointed with their recent efforts.

I do like how "Nintendo is going to go third party" has slowly evolved in to "I really wish Nintendo would go third party."

It is refreshingly honest.

CrisKre

Mario kart is an incredible addictive formula that is relaunched every generation with intelligent variations. People complain about mostly content driven experiences being rehashed for no real reason.

A good argument would have been Mario party. But these days... Not so much.

Also, Nintendo strikes a balance between conservative and innovative. It's what's kept them afloat crushing the competition as a company (ie. Revenue). Some people get it and love it. Some people don't. If it doesn't cut with your tastes don't be mad, your choice to miss on the innovative side of them. No need to birch and moan about it.

BLagiver said:

You mean the online that you want? Online features have never been a selling point for me personally.

BLagiver said:
and I don't call Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby every gen fresh at all. I call it predictable and boring after 25 years

vlMqW.jpg

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Fallout-NL said:
I love Zelda games.

But it's pretty sad when I can wait for a system to come all the fucking way down in price, pick up 2 Mario Galaxy titles on the cheap (+ the one Zelda title), and not miss very much at all.

Ah, but that is where you're wrong my friend! Not to turn this into a list thread, but you would in fact be missing out on some of the most fun games this generation has to offer:

Little King's Story
Excite Truck
NSMBWii
DKCR
Mercury Meltdown
Red Steel 2
Brawl
Zach & Wiki
MH Tri
No More Heroes
Punch-Out!!
Endless Ocean
Mario Strikers Charged
+ the Galaxies and Zeldas

Those are just my personal favorites. Every individual game on that list has brought me hours of enjoyment. Brawl alone has provided literally hundreds of hours of good times with friends. You may not enjoy all of those games, but to dismiss the Wii's library as some throwaway garbage heap is a great injustice.

theBishop said:
Nintendo's most technically advanced studio (Retro) just put out a 2d game after 3 years of inactivity.

Right, but that 2D game is arguably the best platformer since Yoshi's Island back in 1995.

And "3 years of inactivity" is a bit of a untruth. I'm sure DKCR was in development for at least 2 years and there was likely a year of prototyping and engine development before that.

Truth101

Banned
theBishop said:
Doesn't it go further than that? I mean, even if you're 100% fine with the hardware in Wii, Nintendo isn't even close to pushing that to it's furthest extent. There's no reason Wii couldn't have a competent online system. If Nintendo was a hungrier company, Wii would be at least as impressive as Xbox1. Xbox1 had a great online system, and some really impressive games (Half Life 2, Doom3). Instead, we get friend codes, and Nintendo's most technically advanced studio (Retro) just put out a 2d game after 3 years of inactivity.

I'm not saying you shouldn't like Nintendo, or their games. But don't act like it's a mystery why there's some people are disappointed with their recent efforts.

So, you're saying Nintendo doesn't put out impressive games? you're saying DKCR isn't impressive because it's a side-scrolling platformer?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Pseudo_Sam said:
Ah, but that is where you're wrong my friend! Not to turn this into a list thread, but you would in fact be missing out on some of the most fun games this generation has to offer:

Little King's Story
Excite Truck
NSMBWii
DKCR
Mercury Meltdown
Red Steel 2
Brawl
Zach & Wiki
MH Tri
No More Heroes
Punch-Out!!
Endless Ocean
Mario Strikers Charged
+ the Galaxies and Zeldas

Those are just my personal favorites. Every individual game on that list has brought me hours of enjoyment. Brawl alone has provided literally hundreds of hours of good times with friends. You may not enjoy all of those games, but to dismiss the Wii's library as some throwaway garbage heap is a great injustice.
A Wii list without the best jRPG in 10 years??? Shame on you.

Derrick01

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Do you know that these people who are calling out Nintendo play COD? If not then you're just posting some random picture that has nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
theBishop said:
Nintendo's most technically advanced studio (Retro) just put out a 2d game after 3 years of inactivity.

Seriously? Are you really suggesting that the production of a high-quality, incredibly polished 2d game is a sign of laziness?

I guess I missed the announcement where all 3d games are inherently superior to 2d games.

AbsoluteZero said:
Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Seriously. For all the hate Nintendo gets for releasing new Mario Kart games and such, CoD and Madden are the worst at having new releases. Still hard to believe that a new CoD game has been released every year now since 2006.

Derrick01 said:
Do you know that these people who are calling out Nintendo play COD? If not then you're just posting some random picture that has nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

I don't know about this person in particular, but a large number of the folks that I get into the "Nintendo just releases the same shit over and over again" argument with are the dudebro gamers that show up at Activision's doorstep every year for their helping of Call of Duty.

If I've offended anyone by doing so, I humbly apolgize.

theBishop

Banned
Truth101 said:
So, you're saying Nintendo doesn't put out impressive games? you're saying DKCR isn't impressive because it's a side-scrolling platformer?

Yes. I'm specifically talking about technology here. Just because Wii doesn't have HD-ready hardware inside doesn't mean it can do good-looking, high-production games. Look how amazing Morrowind or KOTOR were. Wii should be capable of that.

Even games that are legitimately impressive like Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess are still missing basic modern features like voice acting. Maybe you don't want voice acting for Link, and I can appreciate that. But then Nintendo should be putting out some new franchises that do allow them to show off their modern development talents.

ivysaur12

Banned
PigSpeakers said:
This is a Nintendo thread. I am going to make a comment now. It is either negative or positive, but is most definitely ground that has been tread over a million times to the point of everyone around me wanting to throw up. That was also a run-on sentence. Here is a wall of pointless armchair analysis text or list of failures that helps me pad my argument out.

*long walls of text with fake sales data thrown in*

(For the record, I ignored the OP and just came in to throw my 2 cents in about Nintendo's state in the industry as of now.)

Perfection.

theBishop said:
Even games that are legitimately impressive like Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess are still missing basic modern features like voice acting. Maybe you don't want voice acting for Link, and I can appreciate that. But then Nintendo should be putting out some new franchises that do allow them to show off their modern development talents.

But voice acting doesn't show off the talents of the developers, just the talents of the voice actors, who are often hired from another company anyway.

Berksy

Guise!
I think good old Ninty just faking fail so that their stock share prices get down. Then they will buy their own shares for cheap and sell them like hotcakes when 3ds starts to print money :(

Am I doin it rite?

(I don't know if I could put it right in english but I love complo theories <3 )

BLagiver

Banned
Derrick01 said:

I don't think he does because I call COD milked and give it hell on forums and irc just like the others and I only own COD WaW.

CrisKre

Lol. No voice acting is a creative choice, not a technical issue. Have you played star fox 64 in 1996? It has more to do with a shared vison and franchice management policy.

theBishop

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
But voice acting doesn't show off the talents of the developers, just the talents of the voice actors, who are often hired from another company anyway.

I thoroughly disagree. Do you seriously not credit LucasArts for the amazing voices and writing in Day of the Tentacle (1993)? Valve for Portal 2? Naughty Dog for Uncharted?

Truth101

Banned
theBishop said:
Yes. I'm specifically talking about technology here. Just because Wii doesn't have HD-ready hardware inside doesn't mean it can do good-looking, high-production games. Look how amazing Morrowind or KOTOR were. Wii should be capable of that.

So, because Nintendo has a different design philosophy when it comes to making AAA titles compared to western developers those games can't be considered impressive games?

Don't mistake what you want in a game to be a deciding factor in if it is an impressive title or not.

theBishop

Banned
CrisKre said:
Lol. No voice acting is a creative choice, not a technical issue. Have you played star fox 64 in 1996? It has more to do with a shared vison and franchice management policy.

Yeah, today it isn't because CD-quality audio is just taken for granted. In 1993, it was absolutely a technical breakthrough. Compare The fact that Nintendo has never fully made this jump says a lot.

Compare the acting in 7th Guest to anything on SNES and say it's not a technical issue.

qq more

theBishop said:
Even games that are legitimately impressive like Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess are still missing basic modern features like voice acting.
Just because it's a modern feature doesn't mean it needs to be implemented.

theBishop said:
I thoroughly disagree. Do you seriously not credit LucasArts for the amazing voices and writing in Day of the Tentacle (1993)? Valve for Portal 2? Naughty Dog for Uncharted?

What exactly are you arguing about? I still don't quite understand what point you're trying to make. You're saying because a game doesn't have voice acting, for instance, it can't be an impressive game? Or because it's 2D, it can't be an impressive game?

Top Bottom