• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: All Guns Blazing

Willy105 said:
What do you suppose this generation would have been like without Nintendo's hijinks?
Same as it never was. Or another PS2 - Gamecube - Xbox era. No wait, I mean the best gen evah as there would be no motion control, no kinect, Fox only, final destination...no wait no Fox either...

Orayn said:
All I can remember is people gushing over the fact that the GBA was now rechargeable and could be played in less than perfect lighting conditions. Also, they absolutely nailed the form factor.
Did they? I found the SP too cramped for my liking so went with an original (yes I put wth the unseeable screen, which made going to Game Boy Player then DS lite an incredible experiance)

Those saying they wish the Wii never existed are dead to me.

Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Donkey Kong Country: Returns, NSMB:Wii, Little King's Story, and...gah, the list could just go on and on. Like 3 out of my top 5 games this generation were on Wii. Get out of town.

MisterHero

The 3DS, in other words, might not just be good for Nintendo - it could be good for a whole swathe of the traditional games industry, which presently fears being crushed between the twin giants of low-risk, low-revenue iOS, and high-risk, prohibitively expensive AAA console development. It's no wonder, then, that Nintendo doesn't lack for allies when it seeks to bolster the position of the 3DS - and it simply makes it all the more fascinating that this is no longer a battle to make a console successful, but rather a battle to secure a future for an entire business model.
But Iwata and some fans have been saying this the whole time! They just don't want to believe it when it comes from the horse's mouth. :p

Instead they get "Harumph, they just want to keep selling $40/50 games." Of course they do, but greed isn't the only motivator. :p

Sadist said:
Step right up folks: account suicide in progress!

see, this oversteps the line from nintendo fan to "nintendo fanboy." People are allowed to have opinions and sometimes they're the opposite of yours. I know, it's a scary world out there.

JasoNsider said:

Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Donkey Kong Country: Returns, NSMB:Wii, Little King's Story, and...gah, the list could just go on and on. Like 3 out of my top 5 games this generation were on Wii. Get out of town.

Where's Xenoblade?

Why do people really think the 3DS is going to fail? So what it had a slow start, so did the DS. Also so what if it doesn't have a lot of games now, so did the DS. Personally, outside of Zelda and Golden Sun I basically given up on all their franchises because of the Wii iterations, but that doesn't mean the good games are not coming.

This may force them to make a SSB game for the 3DS. Also whenever pokemon comes out you know it is going to sell. I am no longer a fan of Nintendo, but the handheld business is the only business I will never doubt them in.

JasoNsider said:

There's just no stopping the hate parade this week. I'm actually somewhat surprised there is this much bile being spewed recently, but I wasn't here for the DS and Wii launches, or for 599 us dollars so maybe I'm naive.

This probably will not end unless Nintendo crushes faces this holiday with the 3DS.

cj_iwakura

I don't think the 3DS is going to fail, but it sure won't have success handed to it on a silver platter. They have some brutal competition in the PSV, and its game lineup is already obliterating the 3DS'.

waicol

Banned
Smision said:
see, this oversteps the line from nintendo fan to "nintendo fanboy." People are allowed to have opinions and sometimes they're the opposite of yours. I know, it's a scary world out there.
Then, bad thing that sony and ms did'nt caught the weird bacterial infection of making good games.

You know... opinions.

Smision said:
in a word: better
Really? Some of the best games I've played this generation have been on Nintendo's platforms (be it Wii or DS). Nintendo offers an alternative to the FPS, grey and brown action-adventure games riddling the PS3 and 360. There's room for both.

If you're referring to Sony and MS and their desperate race to motion controls after the success of the Wii, I don't think either the Move or Kinect have really altered the output of either of those companies on the "core gamer" front, contrary to popular belief.

We haven't even gotten to the conference that talks about "the monster". In fact, it could be primarily for Monster Hunter and that's it.

ShockingAlberto had it right - Nintendo did something kind of amazing; essentially just played an enormous hand in Japan. By all accounts that list of releases on 3DS is incredible, including what seems to be an amazing release of Monster Hunter. This is poised for success.

It's just sad that one must read every post on GAF and try to see the possible underlying "agendas". We're here for great games. The 3DS seems to be bringing it and Nintendo knows they've got to hit hard - that deserves applaud from people looking for great entertainment.

Momo

Banned
waicol said:
Then, bad thing that sony and ms did'nt caught the weird bacterial infection of making good games.

You know... opinions.
Just because someone baits you doesn't mean you have to bite back by making stuff up.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cj_iwakura said:
They have some brutal competition in the PSV, and its game lineup is already obliterating the 3DS'.

I have seen this opinion bandied about a lot lately, and I honestly do not get it. Am I missing some huge Vita games that have recently been announced?

mclem

Starwolf_UK said:
Same as it never was. Or another PS2 - Gamecube - Xbox era. No wait, I mean the best gen evah as there would be no motion control, no kinect, Fox only, final destination...no wait no Fox either...

Final Destination? That'd be that film series where
with crushing inevitability, everyone dies in the end
?

That seems strangely apposite.

waicol said:

You know... opinions.

see, you can say something as dumb as that and I still wouldn't call for you to be banned. Free exchange of ideas and all that.

Sadist

Smision said:
Nope, not really.

I think it's childish to compare something like motion controls to a bacteria. Yeah scary, I'm allergic to stupid analogies.

jman2050

schuelma said:
I have seen this opinion bandied about a lot lately, and I honestly do not get it. Am I missing some huge Vita games that have recently been announced?

In the future there are some pretty interesting titles coming out, though none of them with more than moderate selling power.

For launch I'm expecting some notable games at the start followed by at least several months of post-launch drought. You know, like every other video game system ever made.

Loonz

schuelma said:

Yeah, I agree. Vita lacks of any game that can touch the sales potencial of the 3DS's lineup for the holidays. It's simply unbeatable. Nintendo has aligned releases of many of the big franchises for the portable, all of them almost at the same time, whereas Vita has... Uncharted. It's a perfect storm for Nintendo.

I like the Vita, but as of now, there is no contest. Let's see if new and powerful software is announced in the next days to even things out.

Really though, this whole move is outside of Nintendo's typical strategy in that they are, in a way, admitting that they were misguided in their 3DS design, at least for third party support.

Normally, Nintendo would close their eyes, stick to their guns and just force others to adhere to their decisions. This is Nintendo doing what they said they would do going forward - foster better relationships with third parties and go out of their way to do it. If the developer of a major Japanese franchise asks you do something about your controls to better suit their game, you do it. Capcom knows what works, they're not going to change the formula to "fit" the 3DS in its current state.

This add-on allows Nintendo to help third parties put great games out on their platform that might not have the same design philosophy as Nintendo.

jeremy1456

Anyone who thinks the 3DS is a sinking ship right now is completely delusional.

I think all the recent negativity is spawning from Vita fans who, after Tri G was announced, are very concerned about the future of their platform and are lashing out because of this

Sadist said:
Nope, not really.

I think it's childish to compare something like motion controls to a bacteria. Yeah scary, I'm allergic to stupid analogies.

well, grow some thicker skin then. it'll help in life.

JasoNsider said:
ShockingAlberto had it right - Nintendo did something kind of amazing; essentially just played an enormous hand in Japan. By all accounts that list of releases on 3DS is incredible, including what seems to be an amazing release of Monster Hunter. This is poised for success.
Where has this been talked about, where are the rumors? How would we know what kind of hand they played?

Orayn

Fallout-NL said:
Calm down. He's right.

All those motion controls are equally terrible.
I disagree, they can be, and have been, used quite effectively. Just wait for Skyward Sword...

michaeltraps said:
Really though, this whole move is outside of Nintendo's typical strategy in that they are, in a way, admitting that they were misguided in their 3DS design, at least for third party support.

Normally, Nintendo would close their eyes, stick to their guns and just force others to adhere to their decisions. This is Nintendo doing what they said they would do going forward - foster better relationships with third parties and go out of their way to do it. If the developer of a major Japanese franchise asks you do something about your controls to better suit their game, you do it. Capcom knows what works, they're not going to change the formula to "fit" the 3DS in its current state.

This add-on allows Nintendo to help third parties put great games out on their platform that might not have the same design philosophy as Nintendo.

With the disclaimer that the monster is being used sparingly and given away like candy:

You are on the money in my opinion. Nintendo is doing what they promised. That is, anything it takes to get the best games. They aren't sitting idle and are actively going out, spending money, even making peripherals to help. People are going to mock them for a bit, but one look at that release list and the games themselves is enough to turn heads....And it could get only bigger after the 13th.

I hope for success of Vita too, but this is pretty much unprecedented levels of tenacity. Even MS' entry into the industry is not going to match what we're witnessing right now.

linsivvi

theBishop said:
Nothing against pc because it does have some incredibly creative indie developers. But I think Sony and ms have some crucial relationships that edge out pc. Thatgamecompany, twisted pixel, queasy games, and q games to name a few.

There are dozens of new indie games coming out on PC everyday. Just go to a free Flash game site or check out paid indie game sites like BigFish and Pop Cap. The fact that there's no barrier of entry and no certification requirement on the PC means by nature PC will always have the most amount of indie and quirky games.

If you want to argue the hit to miss ratio, then yeah, the consoles definitely have a higher percentage of good games. Yet the volume of indie PC games is so large it will still end up having a significantly larger number of good indie games.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Nintendo is certainly taking a more aggressive approach to the 3DS. This is good; they couldn't afford to be complacent.

What it will amount to, no one knows for sure. What can be said that Nintendo is determined to not take these setbacks lying down.

3DS vs. Vita is going to be a hell of a roller coaster ride! I can't wait to see what happens! ^^

Sennorin

Banned
Orayn said:
I disagree, they can be, and have been, used quite effectively. Just wait for Skyward Sword...

Ugh, I´m scared at the prospect of all the future topics "Skyward Sword would have been so much better without waggle", even if it´s totally deliberate and doesn´t make sense, because of how well done the motioncontrols will probably have been done. :(

UncleSporky said:
Where has this been talked about, where are the rumors? How would we know what kind of hand they played?

No, that was his comment directly after DQX and MH3tri3DS: Electric Boogaloo were announced. All doom and gloom on here while he called it better than most. And fairly said "the monster" thing looks ugly, too.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
JasoNsider said:

What is this in reference to? Has there been a slew of newly announced games (aside from MH3) that I haven't heard about?

Top Bottom