• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulated PS2 Games on PSN INCLUDING GOD HAND, GRIM GRIMOIRE, More...

is it too early to be a little sad that we won't get Odin Sphere HD? (also just read the other day that they shot those plans down in early 2010, as well as Muramasa on PS3/360)

duckroll

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Whatever man, I don't know why the couple times I've been in a thread with you you've acted like a complete asshole to me but it's really getting old.

I'm acting like a complete asshole? Seriously? What exactly have I done that has slighted you so? Tell me, and if I'm in the wrong I will apologize.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Imagine this:
KOFXI, KOF98UM and 02UM on PSN!

OH MY FRIGGIN' GOD!!!

Withnail said:
It's both time consuming and expensive. That's why you will only see it for the big ticket games (RE, GOW etc) that will provide a return on investment. Nobody with sound business judgement is going to sink time and money into porting niche games like Ring of Red.

Thanks for the reply. If it seems that Sony is taking the easy way out with the PS2 classics, then 10 should be the default price while the remasters are 15.

Satchel

Banned
Holy fuck Maximo!

I've been playing it again on my ps2 but still they acknowledge it's existence!

Sequel please.

Shai-Tan

Banned
i think they need to be more selective about what kind of titles they are funding with the pub fund. games that have potential to be great. right now they spend far too much on games that are unique, yet significantly lacking in design and execution

Fersis said:
Imagine this:
KOFXI, KOF98UM and 02UM on PSN!

OH MY FRIGGIN' GOD!!!
And if they added the Darkstalkers collection, oh god. I just hope these versions don't have the input lag that the software emulation reliant BC PS3's have.

AColdDay

Massa said:
You sound like you had a really bad experience buying used games but I don't want to hear about it.

(I feel the same, btw).
To be fair, any copy of God Hand is pretty likely to have semen stains on it, due to love or anger from its previous owner.

Dali

I'm not a big fan of re-buying games, but for some reason this comes across as awesome news. I guess Sony waited just long enough so that people forgot ps2 bc used to be a free, included feature.

duckroll said:
I'm acting like a complete asshole? Seriously? What exactly have I done that has slighted you so? Tell me, and if I'm in the wrong I will apologize.

i chalk it up to wittiness and sarcasm not coming across well at all over the internet. happens to me a lot too. but now if im not being serious i usually add something to my post that makes it really obvious that im joking around, and im not in a serious mood at all. to each his own though. no worries guys.

OT: i REALLY hope this isn't one of those rumors that was too awesome to be dropped so casually. we'd end up getting a "those reports were false" kind of deal and they'll clarify it as being something completely unexciting. ie: "we are paying for these classic to be printed for another run, and pricing them at $10. they aren't coming to PSN." or something long those lines.

best case scenario, for me personally, would be that these are going to be more HD re-releases but are just coming individually instead of in a set. i'd slay for some vanillaware in HD.

Javaman

Dali said:
I'm not a big fan of re-buying games, but for some reason this comes across as awesome news. I guess Sony waited just long enough so that people forgot ps2 bc used to be a free, included feature.

I feel like a red-headed step child. More please!

Dali said:

I see this as a good opportunity for people that missed out on these games to be able to have an easier (and possibly cheaper) option for finding these games again. If you own them, then it'd be to get to play on (probably) VITA that would make the double dip worth it.

snap0212

So they'll do nothing to these games and just release them as they are? I don't think I'll buy any of them then as they'll obviously be overpriced (compared to what I'd pay for them if Sony didn't ditch BC). I'm okay with paying more or again for remakes of old games, I really am, but if they're not priced at $10 or lower there's no reason for anyone to buy them – considering they're doing nothing to add value. They should at least add Trophy support if they don't want to work on the graphics.

SamBishop

Banned
Noshino said:
SPILL THE BEANS

WHAT DO YOU KNOW

I WANT NAMES

HAHAHAHAHA, ignoring the fact that I'd probably end up screwing myself over job-wise, there's the whole issue of not really knowing what games Sony is going to be kicking up going forward. There's a difference between knowing the games that are ready to go and the release schedule for those games, so I'm going to play it safe.

But hey, at least now I can stop subtly hinting that PS2 games are coming. Here they are!

mbmonk

SumGamer said:
Another US only campaign. Yet they wonder why is there so much pirates in Asia. Sigh.

It's not like they have to ship the games on a boat or something. Geez.

Could you create a us psn account and buy them that way?

Withnail

PaulLFC said:
I hope this makes its way to the UK too, although sadly I doubt it.

PS2 games are coming to EU store, as are the new PS3 games mentioned in the OP, but the "Only On PSN" thing is just a SCEA marketing scheme and won't be in Europe. SCEE might do something similar, who knows.

Kyoufu

AbsoluteZero said:
I've never seen gamers so excited to buy the same games over and over again.

I've never seen "gamers" who never owned a PS2.

I guess you wouldn't understand our excitement to re-play these PS2 games. :)

I see the dunderheads at Sony have deigned this worthy of only the US. Sony seems to be the company of one step forward, two steps back. Even when they appear to do something right they manage to stuff it up somehow.

DMeisterJ

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:

Playing PS2 games you never got the chance to play, or games that you only played once but really want to replay is different than just buying a game over and over. There are a bunch of PS2 games I like and would not replay, and a bunch that I would, or never played at all.

Corto

Sam Bishop you're such a tease.
quick surround him and start beating the shit out of him! He'll break... We'll take the info out of him.

Kenshin001 said:
I see the dunderheads at Sony have deigned this worthy of only the US. Sony seems to be the company of one step forward, two steps back. Even when they appear to do something right they manage to stuff it up somehow.

The promotion is US only, but SCEE has already said that most of the games will still be released in the Europe.

Kyoufu said:
I've never seen "gamers" who never owned a PS2.

I guess you wouldn't understand our excitement to re-play these PS2 games. :)

You're acting like I claimed I was a "gamer" or something.

Ouch, it seems I've touched a nerve.

AbsoluteZero said:

I'd post the MalibuStaceyNowWithFreeHat.jpg, but the only thing the PS2 releases are coming with is a new price.

Rest of it sounds cool beans though!

Noshino

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's fine if people prefer it there's nothing wrong with that and there never will be, it still doesn't go against the other guys post talking about them removing compatibility and you can find the games for cheaper than they're DD if we use the price point you made up. I'm done.

We have already mentioned quite a few times why we think that there are more advantages than disadvantages when it comes to this. You keep arguing otherwise.

duckroll said:
Hmmm, that's an interesting point. I didn't think about the DC games. I still don't think Sony will go for such a low price point though. I guess we'll find out really soon!

BG&E is already 9.99 if im not mistaken.

snap0212 said:
So they'll do nothing to these games and just release them as they are? I don't think I'll buy any of them then as they'll obviously be overpriced (compared to what I'd pay for them if Sony didn't ditch BC). I'm okay with paying more or again for remakes of old games, I really am, but if they're not priced at $10 or lower there's no reason for anyone to buy them – considering they're doing nothing to add value. They should at least add Trophy support if they don't want to work on the graphics.

DD alone adds value.
I don't have to worry about looking for a cheap new copy, scratches, losing it, etc.

Also, what's up with people arguing about the price, the duck already went over this

SamBishop said:
HAHAHAHAHA, ignoring the fact that I'd probably end up screwing myself over job-wise, there's the whole issue of not really knowing what games Sony is going to be kicking up going forward. There's a difference between knowing the games that are ready to go and the release schedule for those games, so I'm going to play it safe.

But hey, at least now I can stop subtly hinting that PS2 games are coming. Here they are!

mmm....

You are pulling an amar on us aren't you, someone decrypt his comment!

Risette

A Good Citizen
AbsoluteZero said:
What about people excited to buy them for the first time because they're so expensive to buy new?

I feel like Sony is just kind of casually pulling the top off of Pandora's Box.

I'll probably pick up Odin Sphere, I never did get the chance to play it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Sweet! Never played GrimGrimore and OdinSphere before so I'll pick those up. Kinda interested in God Hand too to see what all the fuss is about.

M3d10n

lobdale said:
Whoa dudes chill out. I am literally just asking who says it is impossible. Is it just "you guys" or did someone from Sony tell us it was impossible? I wonder how much financial sense it makes for them to pay someone to port these super-niche titles to run on the PS3. They have to be running in some kind of PS2 emulator running on the PS3, I just do not see reason they would port some of the biggest commercial bombs in PS2 history to the PS3 unless they just felt like throwing money away for AwesomeCred.
Sony has been working on a range of tools and libraries to make it easy to re-compile PS2 games so they run on the PS3. This is far more sane and rational than trying to emulate the PS2 GPU.

Some level of emulation might actually be involved, but large parts of the games are automatically re-written to run natively. This is similar to 360 emulation of "problem case" games, which involved actually re-compiling the game as native 360 games using a special SDK.

Top Bottom