• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulated PS2 Games on PSN INCLUDING GOD HAND, GRIM GRIMOIRE, More...

DiscoJer said:
I wonder if this means they will someday start selling PSP games for the PS3? They've got the emulator and use it for Minis. So why not full fledged titles?

Seems like the next logical step really. They've got a PSP emulator up and running on Vita, so I guess it's just a matter of getting it running on PS3 with retail games.

SumGamer

Another US only campaign. Yet they wonder why is there so much pirates in Asia. Sigh.

It's not like they have to ship the games on a boat or something. Geez.

DiscoJer said:
I wonder if this means they will someday start selling PSP games for the PS3? They've got the emulator and use it for Minis. So why not full fledged titles?

So it doesn't cannibalize sales? Why would they do it?

Noshino

gofreak said:
Oh really? I thought it was totally uniform. If there's some disparity there they could do the same for Vita/PS3, but I'm not sure they'd want that disjointness to be too commonplace (i.e. I'd imagine they'd want most of the classics catalog playable on both). So they'd probably be a bit tight about allowing exceptions.

(At least, I kind of hope it'd work that way...I like the idea of one catalog that'll run anywhere, more or less).

iirc, werent there some PS2 games that wouldn't even work on BC PS3s?

Omikaru

SumGamer said:
Another US only campaign. Yet they wonder why is there so much pirates in Asia. Sigh.

It's not like they have to ship the games on a boat or something. Geez.
Licensing. It's not as simple as putting it up on the store; games have to pass legal clearance before they can be sold.

For a lot of modern games, this isn't an issue as they don't have any strange licensing agreements to get around, but for classic games (which weren't released with digital downloads in mind) there's lots of different license holders in different regions.

For example: A song used in a game, for example, may have a different license owner in different countries, and as such a new agreement may have to be eked out for each country.

There's also the issue of re-rating the games with the ESRB, PEGI, CERO and all the other ratings boards around the world, especially if they've changed their ratings categories since the game was originally released. If only it were as simple as getting a distribution agreement with the publisher and releasing it onto the store.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So it doesn't cannibalize sales? Why would they do it?
PSP will be a legacy platform once Vita is out, so it's not a stretch to think they'd finally support it on all their flagship platforms.

androvsky

DiscoJer said:

Hackers finally got the minis emulator to attempt to run PSP games, but it's apparently missing some key functions and runs almost nothing (a few games get to the title screen). While I have no doubt that the PS3 can run PSP games just fine, it'll probably take some work, and Sony's probably concentrating on getting the Vita's PSP emulator as perfect as possible.

There's also the problem of licensing. There are games that are on PSP that probably can't be on the PS3 (like the MS pseudo-exclusives in Japan that are on 360 and PSP), or could be but require paperwork. Hopefully they'd just offer publishers a chance to allow it by just submitting some forms, and letting it work like it does for minis that aren't allowed to be played on the PS3 for whatever reason.

I have to say, I'm a little sad that everyone is so excited about the PS2 ISO dumps as opposed to actual cool new PSN titles (Eufloria, PJ Sidescroller and whatnot). I mean, you'd be able to play all of these, and probably for cheaper is Sony hadn't ripped back compat out of the PS3.

Kudos for a picking a few interesting titles at least, I guess. But I'm not about to applaud for removing the ability to play PS2 games and then trying to sell them back to me, especially as just straight dumps.

SumGamer

Omikaru said:
Licensing. It's not as simple as putting it up on the store; games have to pass legal clearance before they can be sold.

For a lot of modern games, this isn't an issue as they don't have any strange licensing agreements to get around, but for classic games (which weren't released with digital downloads in mind) there's lots of different license holders in different regions.

For example: A song used in a game, for example, may have a different license owner in different countries, and as such a new agreement may have to be eked out for each country. There's also the issue of re-rating the games with the ESRB, PEGI, CERO and all the other ratings boards around the world. If only it were as simple as getting a distribution agreement with the publisher and releasing it onto the store.

I totally understand that, I just never see any attempt to do it over here. Even PS Plus is shit. PS Home is really shitty compares to US version. Overall the impression on these companies(not just Sony) and their campaign always the same.

This is why I really like Steam, they have power to offer everything globally with ease. Too bad I dont like to game on PC that much.

TheFightingFish said:
I have to say, I'm a little sad that everyone is so excited about the PS2 ISO dumps as opposed to actual cool new PSN titles (Eufloria, PJ Sidescroller and whatnot). I mean, you'd be able to play all of these, and probably for cheaper is Sony hadn't ripped back compat out of the PS3.

Kudos for a picking a few interesting titles at least, I guess. But I'm not about to applaud for removing the ability to play PS2 games and then trying to sell them back to me, especially as just straight dumps.

Dunno about you, but I have a BC PS3. Didn't take it away from me. If you didn't own a BC PS3, they didn't take anything away from you either. You simply never had the functionality to begin with, and therefore its quite cheeky to moan.

Taking the decision to not include BC in Slim models was partly how they got the price down. That price cut got a lot more people buying PS3s.

If you have a large PS2 collection and do not want to buy digital PS2 games, I assume you have a PS2 to play your games on. Its not the end of the world. My brother has his PS2 and PS3 right next to each other.

duckroll

TheFightingFish said:
I mean, you'd be able to play all of these, and probably for cheaper is Sony hadn't ripped back compat out of the PS3.

Okay, let's assume they're 15 bucks each. Where can we easily find new copies of God Hand, Grim Grimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere or Ring of Red for less than 15 bucks? Serious question.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm assuming:

PS2 PSN Rereleases: niche, less popular titles
PS2 Remasters: more popular/known titles (RE, FF, Tekken, SH)

Hope they bring Haunting Ground though.

Any chance to play God Hand again is welcome. This game will put hairs on your chest son and turn you in to a goddamn ballsy stud of a hero. I mean it will single handedly kick you through puberty. It'll give you cigars and whiskey, kick you in the face and then call you "champ".

Well at least they're doing something to make themselves stand out. Their full PS3 retail game releases have been pathetic compared to Games on Demand.

Gattsu25

Banned
Limanima said:
Wow. I must be totally ignorant as game are concerned. Never heard of any of those games. Are they good?
God Hand is a really difficult to master brawler with a very immature sense of humor.
Maximo is a fairly difficult platformer/action game that acts as a loose re-imagining of the Ghouls/Ghosts n Goblins franchise
Ring of Red is a revisionist history post-WW2 strategy game were battles take place on/around giant lumbering battle mechs.
Odin Sphere (IIRC) is a side scrolling beat-em-up with a really ornate art style.

not sure about the other one.

I really enjoyed Maximo and Ring of Red. Maximo can be very difficult and there is a sequel that is one of the best platformers of last gen. Ring of Red can be very slow and features a overly focused story but I really enjoyed the game. God Hand wasn't my style but is beloved by a very vocal but small niche. Odin Sphere I just don't remember too much about. I don't think I heard of the other game.

edit: added some random gameplay video to each of the mentioned games. I tried to find footage of the game being played without people talking on top of it.

awwyeahgurrl said:
They played on BC PS3's. The game was on the hard drive, after the game was finished they tested again with a PS2 disk to see if there were any differences between it and the PS3 version. I think it's more than safe to assume that it will be locked to DD releases only.

Would that mean PS2 digital downloads will only be available for those with BC systems or testers just happened to use those systems regardless of the emulation method?

Noshino

duckroll said:
Okay, let's assume they're 15 bucks each. Where can we easily find new copies of God Hand, Grim Grimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere or Ring of Red for less than 15 bucks? Serious question.

Not just new ones, but ones that never deteriorate.

Galvanise_ said:
Dunno about you, but I have a BC PS3. Didn't take it away from me. If you didn't own a BC PS3, they didn't take anything away from you either. You simply never had the functionality to begin with, and therefore its quite cheeky to moan.

Taking the decision to not include BC in Slim models was partly how they got the price down. That price cut got a lot more people buying PS3s.

Cheeky is not the word that I would use, maybe I'm just cynical. If you can tell me how removing the software (not hardware I get how that would save money) BC emulation from the PS3 saved money I'd love to know.

duckroll said:

I'm not a collector, so maybe I don't understand, but all of these games (except Godhand which is at $20) are well under $15 used from reputable dealers on Amazon. And we are talking about digital downloads here, so why the heck would a used copy on DVD be any different from a new digital copy? It's not like you get a manual and a box to put on your shelf if you buy it from PSN.

duckroll said:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/grim-grimoire-used/65680
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/ring-of-red/11014
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/maximo-ghosts-to-glory-used/19790
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/god-hand/60247
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/odin-sphere-used/65343

All of them are under $15

duckroll said:
Let's just start with new copies to begin with! :)

Why does it have to be new? That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheFightingFish said:
Cheeky is not the word that I would use, maybe I'm just cynical. If you can tell me how removing the software (not hardware I get how that would save money) BC emulation from the PS3 saved money I'd love to know.

It was never fully software emulation. There was always at least a GS chip in there. Only the EE stuff was software emulated before.

If Sony had full software emu working before, they'd never have removed it. They'd have been selling you these PS2 games on PSN for years now. They've presumably only now got a hardware-independent solution ready for primetime for enough games to form a catalog.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
ULTROS! said:
I'm assuming:

PS2 PSN Rereleases: niche, less popular titles
PS2 Remasters: more popular/known titles (RE, FF, Tekken, SH)

Hope they bring Haunting Ground though.

This is a good strategy.
Also, once the game are emulated, once Sony has gotten a software emulator to a good enough quality level, and they have source code and assets for the HD remasters (optimized to run on a "normal" GPU architecture and not just on the awesome but quirky PlayStation 2's GS), it gets easier to keep these titles alive in a digital world and bring them to more and more platforms in the future.

androvsky

TheFightingFish said:

"Software" emulation on the PS3 still had the graphics chip from the PS2. The software was only emulating the CPU. This news is the first instance of a pure software PS2 emulator hitting the PS3 (in a usable form, anyway).

TheFightingFish said:

There was never a 100% software based emulation method in older PS3's.

US BC models had the CPU and the GPU hardware inside the PS3's.
EU BC models had the GPU hardware inside the PS3's.

Either way, Sony had to take out hardware to make the PS3 slim cheaper.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Gattsu25 said:
God Hand is a really difficult to master brawler with a very immature sense of humor.
Maximo is a fairly difficult platformer/action game that acts as a loose re-imagining of the Ghouls/Ghosts n Goblins franchise
Ring of Red is a revisionist history post-WW2 strategy game were battles take place on/around giant lumbering battle mechs.
Odin Sphere (IIRC) is a side scrolling beat-em-up with a really ornate art style.

not sure about the other one.

I really enjoyed Maximo and Ring of Red. Maximo can be very difficult and there is a sequel that is one of the best platformers of last gen. Ring of Red can be very slow and features a overly focused story but I really enjoyed the game. God Hand wasn't my style but is beloved by a very vocal but small niche. Odin Sphere I just don't remember too much about. I don't think I heard of the other game.

GrimGrimoire is a RTS game developed by the ones who made Odin Sphere I believe, aka the art style is vastly similar.

duckroll

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why does it have to be new? That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Why doesn't it make sense that people don't want to buy used games? :p

Also, 2 out of the 5 games are not even available used in the links you posted.

SamBishop

Banned
I think you guys are going to be surprised at the scale of this stuff. It's bigger than the PS one offerings, all told.

Noshino

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Because DVDs suffer from deterioration/scratches, so whenever possible I would look for new copies to not suffer through any of that reading problems bullshit.

Its one of the reasons as to why I don't mind double dipping at all.

SamBishop said:
I think you guys are going to be surprised at the scale of this stuff. It's bigger than the PS one offerings, all told.

SPILL THE BEANS

WHAT DO YOU KNOW

I WANT NAMES

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And it's stupid and commented on it in my post. Why does it have to be new? That makes 0 sense.
Because used games can be entirely sketchy? I don't want some cigarette smelling case with a scratched up disc and a booger on the manual with a sticker on the front leaving residue I'll have to clean off with Goo Gone.

Withnail

TheFightingFish said:

I'm not a collector, so maybe I don't understand, but all of these games (except Godhand which is at $20) are well under $15 used from reputable dealers on Amazon. And we are talking about digital downloads here, so why the heck would a used copy on DVD be any different from a new digital copy? It's not like you get a manual and a box to put on your shelf if you buy it from PSN.

Well it probably made the PS3 firmware easier to test. But the real benefits to Sony will have been increased sales of PS3 software and PS2 hardware.

edit: and as noted all BC PS3s had some PS2 hardware.

(disclaimer, I don't know crap about emulation) So, how difficult/time consuming is it exactly to remaster PS2 games like they did with GoW, MGS, SotC etc.? I can live without trophies, but I at least want razor sharp graphics.

duckroll said:
Why doesn't it make sense that people don't want to buy used games? :p

Also, 2 out of the 5 games are not even available used in the links you posted.

Because you're getting a file and nothing else? If someone cracks it you can buy the disk and rip it and now you have the disk and you're "new" file. You get nothing from buying a digital over a physical disk. If you wanted to play xenogears or suikoden or something all these years you would only do it if it was a sealed new copy? I don't see the logic in it at all.

Rickenslacker said:
Because used games can be entirely sketchy? I don't want some cigarette smelling case with a scratched up disc and a booger on the manual with a sticker on the front leaving residue I'll have to clean off with Goo Gone.

So don't buy this copy? You're seriously suggesting all of them are in that condition? And if the case smells why not just put it in a new generic case? You're just getting a file.

ULTROS!

SamBishop said:

Digital Devil Saga?

SUIKODEN V?????? GAAAAAHHHH

androvsky

SamBishop said:

Dood. I'd freak out and ask about NISA's PS2 games, but I own them all already.

Err, still, gotta ask... Sakura Wars? I really would buy that again.

edit:
I want some import shit.
Yeah, same here, big time.

SamBishop said:
I want some import shit.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So don't buy this copy? You're seriously suggesting all of them are in that condition? And if the case smells why not just put it in a new generic case? You're just getting a file.
I'm suggesting that a lot of them are in a condition where I'd value the raw digital download on my PS3 to be better than owning that kind of physical copy.

Gattsu25

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And it's stupid and commented on it in my post. Why does it have to be new? That makes 0 sense.
I've had a less than stellar experience with older used console games. Getting 20 hours into a game before the disc shits out on you and refuses to load is never fun.

Noshino said:
Because DVDs suffer from deterioration/scratches, so whenever possible I would look for new copies to not suffer through any of that reading problems bullshit.

Its one of the reasons as to why I don't mind double dipping at all.

SPILL THE BEANS

WHAT DO YOU KNOW

I WANT NAMES

What deterioration are you talking about? If you mean the physical disks rotting then that also happens to new games so that can't be a reason and why not just buy one that isn't beat up? Unless it's scratched to shit you won't have problems with it being read...

Gattsu25 said:
I've had a less than stellar experience with older used console games. Getting 20 hours into a game before the disc shits out on you and refuses to load is never fun.

And that can happen with new games or games you've owned for a while. Have you seriously never played an old game because of this and if you wanted to play say the PS1 era rpgs you would only pay 3 times the price and buy new? Some of these are $2 or $3. If the PSN is $15 you can have buy 5-7 copies for as much or cheaper than the PSN version.

Withnail

General Shank-a-snatch said:
(disclaimer, I don't know crap about emulation) So, how difficult/time consuming is it exactly to remaster PS2 games like they did with GoW, MGS, SotC etc.? I can live without trophies, but I at least want razor sharp graphics.

It's both time consuming and expensive. That's why you will only see it for the big ticket games (RE, GOW etc) that will provide a return on investment. Nobody with sound business judgement is going to sink time and money into porting niche games like Ring of Red.

androvsky

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Because you're getting a file and nothing else? If someone cracks it you can buy the disk and rip it and now you have the disk and you're "new" file. You get nothing from buying a digital over a physical disk. If you wanted to play xenogears or suikoden or something all these years you would only do it if it was a sealed new copy? I don't see the logic in it at all.
Can't play a ripped copy on a PS3 slim, even a hacked one.

A lot of these games are really hard to find. If you find them at all, you may not have a choice, and if you get it online, you just have to hope it's in good condition. Sometimes people don't like throwing good money at a beat up product.

2San

Limanima said:
Wow. I must be totally ignorant as game are concerned. Never heard of any of those games. Are they good?
Only played Odin Sphere out of those. It's a completely average experience. Even the praised art style becomes meh after you see it in motion. It really is game that represents style over substance. The gameplay is boring and repetitive. Storywise it does it's thing, but isn't anything special either. Can't seem to recall the soundtrack, so I'm assuming that's forgettable as well.

androvsky said:
Can't play a ripped copy on a PS3 slim, even a hacked one.

A lot of these games are really hard to find. If you find them at all, you may not have a choice, and if you get it online, you just have to hope it's in good condition. Sometimes people don't like throwing good money at a beat up product.

And I said if someone cracks it? You can't play a single downloadable PS2 game on your PS3 right now either so...

That's fine but you can't say there aren't gamestops by you. Most of these you can search if they are local by you. All of them have copies by me but I don't know you're area so obviously I can never comment on that. There are much harder games to find at much more expensive prices. If these were some rare games like PS1 going for $40+ then I'd totally agree not problem but it's simply not the case.

Gattsu25

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What deterioration are you talking about? If you mean the physical disks rotting then that also happens to new games so that can't be a reason and why not just buy one that isn't beat up? Unless it's scratched to shit you won't have problems with it being read...
I want to make sure that I don't get a scratched disc from the links you listed. Help me out, here.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And that can happen with new games or games you've owned for a while. Have you seriously never played an old game because of this and if you wanted to play say the PS1 era rpgs you would only pay 3 times the price and buy new? Some of these are $2 or $3. If the PSN is $15 you can have buy 5-7 copies for as much or cheaper than the PSN version.
New games unplayable? Has never happened to me among hundreds of new games that I've purchased over the years.
My games becoming mangled? It has never happened to me with any of the game that I have owned (unless I have lent a game to someone, not a damned one of my games has even as much as a fingerprint on them). The only exceptions are when my OG XBox ate my copies of Timesplitters3 and Phantom Dust.

Top Bottom