• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulated PS2 Games on PSN INCLUDING GOD HAND, GRIM GRIMOIRE, More...

awwyeahgurrl said:
  • Not all games are supported, shadow of memories & Hitman 2 are examples of games that just didn't work and they don't plan to try and get them to work. They also seem to be covering a huge list of games even fairly unknown games like The Seed: warzone.

I believe this, the IO Interactive developers did some crazy stuff on the playstation 2 that people didn´t think was possible.

Loudninja said:
Its not that it the fact that you can get games you might not never play or rare games for less.Look at games like Xenogears and Suikoden and what absurd prices the games were selling for.

Suikoden was expensive? I remember that being pretty cheap.

FreeMufasa

Meh. I'd still rather get the PS2 versions, at a much lower price too.

Nice for those that want all their stuff in one area, but BC is what we really want Sony!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Nuclear Muffin said:
True, but unlike with the PS1 emulation, Sony is limited by the technical limitations of the PS3. Many games simply won't work with the emulator; mind you though, I suppose that's what the Classics HD line is for (though a lot of games that are impossible to emulate and too niche to port are going to be left lost in the shuffle sadly, like Okami. Hopefully they'll be emulated by the PS4!)

That will not happen. If PS3 struggles to emulate the PS2, no way will Vita be able to.

You've already proven I think that you have no idea about what state the emulator Sony is working from is in. The guy that seems to actually have some knowledge about it posted in here and mentioned two random games, one of which was Hitman 2, just happened to not work. Hitman 2 was no graphical powerhouse, it was released in 2002, not long after the PS2's launch. God Hand, on the other hand, which came out in 2006, looks loads better than Hitman 2 and it seems is going to be emulated no problem.

You should probably stop making baseless assumptions about what their code can and cannot emulate, and how much "trouble" it's having with anything. We don't know how many games are "many," we don't know what things it can and cannot do and why it does and does not work with whatever theoretical games it doesn't work with. Hell, if anything, it is more likely to work with Okami than who knows what else since Clover developed both games and they probably have some measure of technical similarities.

Surely it also depends about the hardware of the Vita, not just from a brute-force power point of view, but for if it has any PS2 chips in it; Like the original 60gb PS3s. I would imagine that, by now, they can produce those quite cheaply and 'small'y, right?

I haven't kept up to date with the Vita, so if we have spec sheets that confirm that this isn't the case, I apologise! But otherwise this is at least, possible, is it not?

Jimrpg

fantastic titles.... sony (and steam) are the only companies supporting hardcore/core players at the moment.... what with their HD remakes and this... why did anyone ever doubt them? sure they were slow to begin with, but I think they learnt a big lesson letting microsoft steal a lot of mindshare but sony are well and truly back....

I'm definitely going to get odin sphere :)

duckroll

Man, I love seeing how in every other thread he appears in, Nuclear Muffin just rushes in to talk shit about stuff he has no idea about, then he gets totally and utterly owned by people who actually are in the know. It's sad but hilarious. And some day... that will come to an end, like all good things. :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm sure they've an emulator kicking about on Vita, but I wonder if they'd select titles so they can run on both PS3 AND Vita (thus potentially limiting the set of candidates for Classics), or if they'll release what PS3 can run on PS3 only. A bit of a dilemma maybe, but who knows, maybe the set that can run on both isn't SO different from the set that could run on PS3 only.

Kaltagesta said:
Surely it also depends about the hardware of the Vita, not just from a brute-force power point of view, but for if it has any PS2 chips in it; Like the original 60gb PS3s. I would imagine that, by now, they can produce those quite cheaply and 'small'y, right?

I haven't kept up to date with the Vita, so if we have spec sheets that confirm that this isn't the case, I apologise! But otherwise this is at least, possible, is it not?

Well, there are certain things that are key to this. Can Vita do anything about the framebuffer? Have Sony been clever and chose chips that are a very good middleground between PS3 and PS2? I know that if I were Sony, I would have chosen chips that could emulate PS2.

Ram is not an issue. There might be brilliant ways around the problems. Argh. Waiting game.

Awesome. Didn't finish God Hand earlier this year(or maybe that was last year), I got distracted. If it plays smoothly I'll probably just replay it on PS3 instead.

Maximo is fantastic, probably my favorite PS2 Action Platformer (more than any Jak/Ratchet/or Sly game). Its a game you have to get used too though, as you have to pay for saves and if you die you loose your powerups and have to start over from the last checkpoint (or reset your game, keep your powerups and one-life each level, which is what I liked to do.).

IrishNinja

lobdale said:
Hell, if anything, it is more likely to work with Okami than who knows what else since Clover developed both games and they probably have some measure of technical similarities.

i like this idea, but it dashes what meager hopes i had for a Clover HD Collection of Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2, Godhand & Okami. in my mind, they weren't even really HD but just widescreen, trophies and unlockables like Okamiden and VJ: Red Hot Rumble!

it was also gonna cost twenty dollars.

V_Ben

Banned
gofreak said:
I'm sure they've an emulator kicking about on Vita, but I wonder if they'd select titles so they can run on both PS3 AND Vita (thus potentially limiting the set of candidates for Classics), or if they'll release what PS3 can run on PS3 only. A bit of a dilemma maybe, but who knows, maybe the set that can run on both isn't SO different from the set that could run on PS3 only.

We do currently have PS1 games that don't work on PSP I think, so we'll probably see some PS2 games work on Vita, and some that won't.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
V_Ben said:
We do currently have PS1 games that don't work on PSP I think, so we'll probably see some PS2 games work on Vita, and some that won't.

Oh really? I thought it was totally uniform. If there's some disparity there they could do the same for Vita/PS3, but I'm not sure they'd want that disjointness to be too commonplace (i.e. I'd imagine they'd want most of the classics catalog playable on both). So they'd probably be a bit tight about allowing exceptions.

(At least, I kind of hope it'd work that way...I like the idea of one catalog that'll run anywhere, more or less).

V_Ben

Banned
gofreak said:
Oh really? I thought it was totally uniform. If there's some disparity there they could do the same for Vita/PS3, but I'm not sure they'd want that disjointness to be too commonplace (i.e. I'd imagine they'd want most of the classics catalog playable on both). So they'd probably be a bit tight about allowing exceptions.

(At least, I kind of hope it'd work that way...I like the idea of one catalog that'll run anywhere, more or less).

Aye, I think there are one or two PS1 games on the store that don't work on PSP for some reason or another. I can't actually remember which ones, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with dual analogue controls.

gofreak said:

Games that required dual analogs didn't work on psp. Ape escape was one.

androvsky

gofreak said:

It's rare, and mainly in the Japanese store, but I think there's at least one or two PS1 games on the U.S. store that don't work on PSPs (Ape Escape, Puzzle Fighter, iirc?).

Kalamoj

awwyeahgurrl said:
About time they announced this. So sony have been working on this for a while now, they just finished with their QA testing in Liverpool 2 weeks ago. Here's basically what I know:

• No remastering, just smoothing/screen size options like PS1 emulation.
  • Not all games are supported, shadow of memories & Hitman 2 are examples of games that just didn't work and they don't plan to try and get them to work. They also seem to be covering a huge list of games even fairly unknown games like The Seed: warzone.
  • No button remapping options, like PS1 emulation, for now.
  • No trophies or anything along those lines.

Apart from that everything should be what people are expecting. There doesn't seem to be any bells and whistles on it, it's straight up PS2 emulation.
There goes my interest. So we got PS2 games, which can run on PS3 and that's it. Is it too hard to make a consistent game library Sony?

duckroll

Kalamoj said:
There goes my interest. So we got PS2 games, which can run on PS3 and that's it. Is it too hard to make a consistent game library Sony?

It's consistent with their Classics line.

TGMIII

I'll try and get a more robust lineup of games that were tested in the offices just so everyone can get a feel for what to expect. I know MGS2, DQ8, crimson tears, Castlevania (not sure which one) were all games that popped up.

My friend told me one of the other testers asked him if he knew what castlevania was and it "looked too anime for him"

Cruzader

Banned
Does this have to do with that vague trailer we saw the other day that had alot of PS icon characters? If so hOly fuck what a megaton.

Kalamoj said:

To a lot of people, this is all they wanted. Personally I'll buy the HD Classics for trophies. This library not having trophies won't stop me revisiting some fantastic games.

Does PS1 games and PSP games not having trophies bother you? Putting trophies into such old games is a lot of work.

awwyeahgurrl said:
I'll try and get a more robust lineup of games that were tested in the offices just so everyone can get a feel for what to expect. I know MGS2, DQ8, crimson tears, Castlevania (not sure which one) were all games that popped up.

My friend told me one of the other testers asked him if he knew what castlevania was and it "looked too anime for him"

See if you can find out what games looked right and ran smoothly as well if you can!

Thanks!

TGMIII

Nuclear Muffin said:
See if you can find out what games looked right and ran smoothly as well if you can!

Thanks!

Every game was play tested from start to finish, right up until the credits end. At least from the games my friend tested he told me every game ran as if it was on a PS2 (they tested the game again on an actual PS2 disk so he would have had a good feel for framerates) but he had pretty slow games to test like SRPG's.

awwyeahgurrl said:
Every game was play tested from start to finish, right up until the credits end. At least from the games my friend tested he told me every game ran as if it was on a PS2 (they tested the game again on an actual PS2 disk so he would have had a good feel for framerates) but he had pretty slow games to test.

Wow, I'm surprised that they could get MGS2 up and running so smoothly!

Seems kinda silly with the HD version coming out, but I suppose it would be good to see the original PS2 version (both Sons of Liberty and Substance) get re-released, if just for historical value.

I guess I stand completely owned corrected here then.

hamchan said:
DQ8 omg omg, perfect since I lost my copy ages ago.

They haven't re-released a single DQ game on any DD service yet. I don't think we'll be seeing DQ8 for a good while unfortunately (at least not until we've gotten DQ 7 on PSN!)

TGMIII

Nuclear Muffin said:

Seems kinda silly with the HD version coming out, but I suppose it would be good to see the original PS2 version (both Sons of Liberty and Substance) get re-released, if just for historical value.

I guess I stand completely owned corrected here then.

He didn't test MGS2 himself, he just saw it being played in the office and it DEFINITELY wasn't the HD remake being played. I'm not sure they plan on releasing this as it wouldn't make sense with the HD remake coming out but who knows.

Cruzader

Banned
Kerrinck said:
If I subscribe to psn plus right now, will it count towards the 60$ spent promotion?
Yes bc thats spending $$ on PSN. But not sure when the. Actual promo kicks in. Wait till tomorrow atleast.

Omikaru

Nuclear Muffin said:

They may have just been testing them to see what works, or to see how well the emulator works when some of the more demanding games are tried.

It also seems like this is a Sony-led thing. So rather than publishers giving Sony games to test on the emulator, they're probably just testing everything and reporting to publishers on what works and what doesn't.

Edit: There's also the possibility that they'll enable disc-based backwards compatibility too, so they'll need a robust list of working games for that too.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
Man, I love seeing how in every other thread he appears in, Nuclear Muffin just rushes in to talk shit about stuff he has no idea about, then he gets totally and utterly owned by people who actually are in the know. It's sad but hilarious. And some day... that will come to an end, like all good things. :(
He also needs to use periods more often.

He's surprised all the time!

androvsky

Can't wait to see what winds up on the Japanese store. :)

Also wonder what impact this will have on the Import Store and whatever titles Vic Ireland's trying to get on there...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
awwyeahgurrl said:
He didn't test MGS2 himself, he just saw it being played in the office and it DEFINITELY wasn't the HD remake being played.
So how does this work exactly? Will the emulator be locked out to DD releases or will it work with actual PS2 disks? I got a partial BC model going on and I'd pretty much like to know should it die.

Omikaru said:
They may have just been testing them to see what works, or to see how well the emulator works.

It also seems like this is a Sony-led thing. So rather than publishers giving Sony games to test on the emulator, so they're probably just testing everything and reporting to publishers on what works and what doesn't.

Yeah true. That's what they did with the original PS2 BC compatibility list (and it was pretty detailed too!)

If that's the case, then they're probably not doing game by game emulation but rather system wide emulation (ALA PS1 emulation on PS3/PSP)

Jinfash said:
He also needs to use periods more often.

He's surprised all the time!

Wow! Someone else noticed!
Yeah, I get surprised quite easily!

TGMIII

InfiniteNine said:
So how does this work exactly? Will the emulator be locked out to DD releases or will it work with actual PS2 disks? I got a partial BC model going on and I'd pretty much like to know should it die.

They played on BC PS3's. The game was on the hard drive, after the game was finished they tested again with a PS2 disk to see if there were any differences between it and the PS3 version. I think it's more than safe to assume that it will be locked to DD releases only.

DiscoJer

I wonder if this means they will someday start selling PSP games for the PS3? They've got the emulator and use it for Minis. So why not full fledged titles?

Top Bottom