• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulated PS2 Games on PSN INCLUDING GOD HAND, GRIM GRIMOIRE, More...

duckroll

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Because you're getting a file and nothing else? If someone cracks it you can buy the disk and rip it and now you have the disk and you're "new" file. You get nothing from buying a digital over a physical disk. If you wanted to play xenogears or suikoden or something all these years you would only do it if it was a sealed new copy? I don't see the logic in it at all.

The logic is, I will be 100% sure that a new copy of the game works as intended and does now have semen stains all over it. I am also 100% sure that buying a digital download will result in it working as intended, and I don't lose any shelf space.

When I buy a used copy of a game, unless I carefully source and inspect available copies in retail outlets, I can never be 100% sure that it does not have semen stains or greasy fingerprints all over the package and disc. I can't even be 100% sure that the disc even works.

Hence logically the only good comparison is to compare the price with new copies.

duckroll said:
The logic is, I will be 100% sure that a new copy of the game works as intended and does now have semen stains all over it. I am also 100% sure that buying a digital download will result in it working as intended, and I don't lose any shelf space.

When I buy a used copy of a game, unless I carefully source and inspect available copies in retail outlets, I can never be 100% sure that it does not have semen stains or greasy fingerprints all over the package and disc. I can't even be 100% sure that the disc even works.

Hence logically the only good comparison is to compare the price with new copies.

But they're not that expensive used that some you can buy multiple copies before it becoming as expensive as the PSN version. Again, if they were more expensive games I would agree wholeheartedly but some of these are like $2-$3 dump bin games.

Gattsu25 said:
I want to make sure that I don't get a scratched disc from the links you listed. Help me out, here.

Try a store locator like I said before?

Edit: Prices are also cheap on amazon, look for ones that are claimed to be in good shape.

awwyeahgurrl said:
They played on BC PS3's. The game was on the hard drive, after the game was finished they tested again with a PS2 disk to see if there were any differences between it and the PS3 version. I think it's more than safe to assume that it will be locked to DD releases only.
That kind of blows. I was almost hopeful about being able to use my old games again.

TEJ

i'll take a 10-15 dollar digital download over a 2-3 dollar disk that's most likely scratched to hell and back. or dusty. or full of fingerprints. or worse than that.

sublimit

Banned
I don't care much tbh because i'm pretty sure that all the good PS2 games will never come to the PAL store which is such a joke compared to the NA one.Just compare the NA ps1 library with the shitty European one.
And no i don't like to have to pay 30$ to import a 20$ psn card.

MoxManiac

I'll probably rebuy god hand because it's MOTHERFUCKING GOD HAND but I'm not sure what I think about this; I still have my huge drawer full of PS2 games so if there aren't enhancements i'm not sure it'll be worth it to me, but we'll see.

duckroll

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
But they're not that expensive used that some you can buy multiple copies before it becoming as expensive as the PSN version. Again, if they were more expensive games I would agree wholeheartedly but some of these are like $2-$3 dump bin games.

Okay so now you're suggesting that it's a better idea to waste time and money buying several copies of used versions of said games which might or might not be caked with dried semen, greasy fingerprints, and/or sticky goo of unidentifiable origin - a process which could take days and many sleepless nights wondering if you have possibly contracted some terminal disease from contact with such copies which you have since burnt in a fire, until I find a working copy. Rather than to just pay a mere 15 bucks to own a niche PS2 game that I have never bought before, enabling me to play the game immediately and without hassle or mental trauma, and with proceeds going to the original publisher as well?

Seriously? This is getting more and more illogical!

duckroll said:
Rather than to just pay a mere 15 bucks to own a niche PS2 game that I have never bought before, enabling me to play the game immediately and without hassle or mental trauma, and with proceeds going to the original publisher as well?
I didn't even think about that, but it's a great point.

androvsky

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And I said if someone cracks it? You can't play a single downloadable PS2 game on your PS3 right now either so...
That's a really, really big if, and then, even if the emulator is cracked, you'll only be able to play it on a hacked PS3 that you either won't want to take online, or won't be able to. A complete mess.

That's fine but you can't say there aren't gamestops by you. Most of these you can search if they are local by you. All of them have copies by me but I don't know you're area so obviously I can never comment on that. There are much harder games to find at much more expensive prices. If these were some rare games like PS1 going for $40+ then I'd totally agree not problem but it's simply not the case.
I make a point of looking over the PS2 section of every game store I go into, including Gamestop, and there's a few that catch my eye even if I already own them. I hardly ever see Odin Sphere (even the Greatest Hits version), and I've only seen GrimGrimoire twice in the last year (and not in Gamestop). Gamestop's PS2 selection has been pretty worthless for a long time, and that's counting five or six locations spanning multiple cities near me.

Gamestop is phasing out their PS2 sections anyway, and I doubt this will encourage them to keep it.

yurinka

wow, awesome PS2 games! great news! :)

Love God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere, but don't know anything about Ring of Red.

Kerrinck

Cruzader said:
Yes bc thats spending $$ on PSN. But not sure when the. Actual promo kicks in. Wait till tomorrow atleast.
Problem is that the Code Veronica discount ends tomorrow. Oh well, will take the plunge today, hopefully the promo is already in effect so I can get the 10$ credit.

Dragon

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

I guess I don't see a problem. People like options, that's why the split SKU for the 360 has been so successful. I don't see why this is any different. You have the option to buy a game or even rebuy a game. I've rebought a bunch of PS1 games I still own including Xenogears, the FF's and Alundra. That's my choice. Your choice is to go out and find them in the garbage bin.

People put importance on various things, putting PS2 games on the store is only a good thing as long as the price is reasonable and the selection is there.

Kerrinck said:
Problem is that the Code Veronica discount ends tomorrow. Oh well, will take the plunge today, hopefully the promo is already in effect so I can get the discount.

Says October, you should be fine.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kerrinck said:
Problem is that the Code Veronica discount ends tomorrow. Oh well, will take the plunge today, hopefully the promo is already in effect so I can get the 10$ credit.

CVX ends next week. It's RE4's discount that will end this week.

androvsky

duckroll said:

This is nothing. You should see the people saying they won't buy the localized Black Rock Shooter limited edition with the awesome WRS figure because it doesn't come with a UMD, only a PSN download code.

duckroll said:
Okay so now you're suggesting that it's a better idea to waste time and money buying several copies of used versions of said games which might or might not be caked with dried semen, greasy fingerprints, and/or sticky goo of unidentifiable origin - a process which could take days and many sleepless nights wondering if you have possibly contracted some terminal disease from contact with such copies which you have since burnt in a fire, until I find a working copy. Rather than to just pay a mere 15 bucks to own a niche PS2 game that I have never bought before, enabling me to play the game immediately and without hassle or mental trauma, and with proceeds going to the original publisher as well?

Are you fucking serious? I said you should buy 7-10 copies of all of them? I'm done man you're not even trying to make an argument. Yes, every single one is terrible and every person ever goes out of their way to jizz all over the games and cases before trading them in, how could I be so ignorant. We don't even know if it will be $15 it could be more, we have no idea. It's fine if people prefer it there's nothing wrong with that and there never will be, it still doesn't go against the other guys post talking about them removing compatibility and you can find the games for cheaper than they're DD if we use the price point you made up. I'm done.

TheBranca18 said:
I guess I don't see a problem. People like options, that's why the split SKU for the 360 has been so successful. I don't see why this is any different. You have the option to buy a game or even rebuy a game. I've rebought a bunch of PS1 games I still own including Xenogears, the FF's and Alundra. That's my choice. Your choice is to go out and find them in the garbage bin.

People put importance on various things, putting PS2 games on the store is only a good thing as long as the price is reasonable and the selection is there.

Says October, you should be fine.

Of course it's good, why the fuck would it be bad? It doesn't change the guys point that its not good that they removed PS2 compatibility and now he can't buy the physical disk for a cheaper price then duckroll's suggest price on PSN.

Massa

duckroll said:

You sound like you had a really bad experience buying used games but I don't want to hear about it.

(I feel the same, btw).

Gattsu25

Banned
androvsky said:
This is nothing. You should see the people saying they won't buy the localized Black Rock Shooter limited edition with the awesome WRS figure because it doesn't come with a UMD, only a PSN download code.
Some people don't have PSN accounts attached to their PSP. Shocking.

duckroll

androvsky said:

Well, to be honest I think NISA should just sell the WRS figma on its own, and forget about the game. I don't think it's very good at all! I would buy the figma though! :D

androvsky

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
and every person ever goes out of their way to jizz all over the games and cases before trading them in
Well, we are talking about two Vanillaware games and God Hand. You've seen the threads on gaf.

duckroll

androvsky said:
Well, we are talking about two Vanillaware games and God Hand. You've seen the threads on gaf.

He calls them dump bin games, so I don't think he really knows what they even are!

Kerrinck

ULTROS! said:
CVX ends next week. It's RE4's discount that will end this week.
Really! Glad to know, CAG page said it would end on the 4th. Will wait until the store update to be sure then.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Hey SE, since you're wasting time remaking shitty FF X instead of the gloriously superior FF XII, how about putting up FF XII as a PS2PSN download at least?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
One God Hand for me please.

duckroll

Combichristoffersen said:
Hey SE, since you're wasting time remaking shitty FF X instead of the gloriously superior FF XII, how about putting up FF XII as a PS2PSN download at least?

Sure. For only $29.99! Gotta love the Square Enix tax!

duckroll said:
He calls them dump bin games, so I don't think he really knows what they even are!

Nah, I've never played any of them. Good call, I hate all the games obviously. Thanks for the insults though, that's classy.

International version please.

duckroll said:
Well, currently...

PS1 = $4.99 to $9.99
PS2 = $14.99 to $19.99 (assumed)
PS3 = $29.99 to $59.99

In future we can expect new PS4 games to cost the same as new PS3 games now - $59.99. That still allows them to price PS3 re-releases for $29.99 or even $24.99. There's still a long way to go between ~30 bucks pricing hits ~60 bucks pricing.

So maybe you're worried about the PS7 or PS8? Lol.

PS3 games are $19.99 to $59.99, I know because Ass Creed 2 is U$19.99

I think PS2 prices will be U$9.99 to U$19.99, Dreamcast games are U$9.99 I think.

I'll probably end up getting God Hand, always wanted to play that game, but never had a chance to.

duckroll said:
Nope. But Vita? Probably. Unless Sony is fucking dumb.

There is absolutely no doubt about that (Sony being dumb that is).

IrishNinja

this, but Zodiac International version, please!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Jeff_Rigby was right! The PS3 browser now runs PS2 games!!

duckroll

AranhaHunter said:
PS3 games are $19.99 to $59.99, I know because Ass Creed 2 is U$19.99

I think PS2 prices will be U$9.99 to U$19.99, Dreamcast games are U$9.99 I think.

I'll probably end up getting God Hand, always wanted to play that game, but never had a chance to.

Hmmm, that's an interesting point. I didn't think about the DC games. I still don't think Sony will go for such a low price point though. I guess we'll find out really soon!

BKK

It's also possible that factory workers may have ejaculated on your "sealed" new copy too :p The only way to be safe is to buy digital.

TEJ

duckroll said:
Hmmm, that's an interesting point. I didn't think about the DC games. I still don't think Sony will go for such a low price point though. I guess we'll find out really soon!

I will pay those prices to be able to play God Hand, Dragon Quest 8, and shin megami tensei nocturne on my ps3.

joshwaan

Wow this is fantastic news :)

I hope they are playable on Vita that be so cool.

Also been looking at the 80GB ps2 list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ompatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

Would it be safe to say that all titles marked with yes and not other comments would be likely candits for future releases?

I been reading the comments about hitman 2 " Throughout gameplay, the title performs at a significantly slower than normal performance speed "

This matching up with what awwyeahgurrl was saying, also thanks for providing extra info about the emulation mate :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm guessing $9.99 for PS2 releases. That would be amazing.

Top Bottom