• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

d0c_zaius

happy U3 launch everyone!

It was really cool seeing the people that showed up for the midnight launch in LA, and props to that guy that asked us to tell Amy to make a new Legacy of Kain!

I was demoing the game in the store, and one guy asked me what game it was o_0. Then he asked me if the tv made the graphics look that good heh.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jett said:
It annoys me that ND keeps insisting that there's motion blur in the game. Maybe they have a special UC3 build in their office with that implemented. :p Reminds me of arne being confused about people complaining that you can't sign in a second account for splitscreen multiplayer in the subway beta, when according to him they can do that in the build they have at ND.

I'm beginning to think the effect was intended to be in the game, but was erroneously removed from the v1.00 build.

BTW, you can't sign in a second account in the retail game either. :p

Time to add Uncharted 3 to the long list of PS3 games that don't allow dual account logins. :p

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Creamium said:
Played up to chapter 9 and I must say I'm pretty impressed. Love how they fleshed out Nate & Sully's relationship. In general the game's full of great character moments and team banter. This, along with the larger presence of traversal, exploration and puzzles are the elements I'm liking most so far.

One thing I don't like is how weird the aiming seems to be in this game. I tried messing with the sensitivity, but so far it seems I can't aim for shit here. Don't know if anyone else has issues with this. I'm surprised since the other games, especially U2, had aiming smooth as butter. Here? Oh boy.
yep aiming is fucked up

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
These are the best graphics I've ever seen. Im actually more impressed by them than PC game mods for crysis and stuff considering the hardware. Its mindblowing. I spend so much time just moving the camera around and taking every detail in lol.

arne

Wario64 said:
arne? lol

wasn't me, but we were looking into this today. the studio is a bit empty, but a few high profile folks i talked to (names withheld to protect the guilty innocent) thought motion blur was in the game and sounded surprised that it may not be.

JaseC said:
I'm beginning to think the effect was intended to be in the game, but was erroneously removed from the v1.00 build.

Time to add Uncharted 3 to the long list of PS3 games that don't allow dual account logins. :p

It is clearly in the SP footage sent out just before release, so it would be very strange if it wasn't in the game....

daxter01

arne said:
wasn't me, but we were looking into this today. the studio is a bit empty, but a few high profile folks i talked to (names withheld to protect the guilty innocent) thought motion blur was in the game and sounded surprised that it may not be.
there is no motion blur ,and can you ask why aiming is worse than past games thanks

Zeal

Banned
Grabbed the Uncharted 1&2 pack from Walmart, and also picked up 3.

Having never played any in the series, this is a lot of gaming to go through.

...If I can manage to put down Dark Souls and Batman: AC.

Hey Arne, I payed 60 bucks for this game at launch and after 3 hours im confidant that I am more than getting more than my money's worth. You guys outdid yourselves.

Fantastic product.

Kudos.

jett

D-Member
daxter01 said:
there is no motion blur ,and can you ask why aiming is worse than past games thanks

It's really not that different from Uncharted 2. Multiplayer controls different from both SP campaigns though.

Micerider

Zeal said:

Well, if that can instill any relief in your heart, the whole Uncharted Series would certainly take you less time to fold than Dark Souls (on hard, I would put it around the 30 hours mark for first playthrough).

But what intensity.

arne

jett said:
It's really not that different from Uncharted 2. Multiplayer controls different from both SP campaigns though.

this. and we looked into that thread on our forums talking about how aiming went in a square, and checked against Uncharted 2 - it was the same.

Replicant

Being in Australia sucks balls (and not even the fun kind). The game is not officially out until Thursday so I can't buy it locally yet. And even though I ordered one from US as well, it'll take approximately Thurs/Fri before it arrives here. *sigh*

Replicant said:
Being in Australia sucks balls (and not even the fun kind). The game is not officially out until Thursday so I can't buy it locally yet. And even though I ordered one from US as well, it'll take approximately Thurs/Fri before it arrives here. *sigh*

We'll just have to hope for a broken street date :/

daxter01

arne said:
this. and we looked into that thread on our forums talking about how aiming went in a square, and checked against Uncharted 2 - it was the same.
I dont know man I ve finished U1 and U2 about 8 or 9 times each and aiming feels different maybe I m crazy :D

Zeal said:

How I envy you guys that are going through it for the first time....

You're in for helluva ride!!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JaseC said:

Yeah I don't see motion blur either.

Just completed the game btw and felt it was fantastic, motion blur or not. Those saying they weren't as impressed as with U2 had me worried but U3 visuals eventually floored me just like the U2 did back in the days. No "been there, seen that" feeling at all. The lighting especially is amazing, as well as the god ray effects.

As for the "too many set pieces" I personally felt they were perfectly integrated with the action and a big improvement over those of UC2. I went through chapters 13, 14, and 15 without breathing basically and chapter 20 was miles better than a similar one in U2. I was genuinely excited during those sequences. Dare I say I felt as amazed as Harrison Ford was in those Japanese U3 promotional videos. :D

If there is one thing they should definitely improve on is the animations. The animations per se are amazing of course, but the way Drake moves around feels so floaty and there are quite a few hard transitions that totally break the smoothness they are going after. Hard to put into words but I don't like for example how jumping trajectory feels "rigid". I have been playing infamous FoB just before U3 and the difference is staggering. Cole interacts with the environment in a much better, smoother, realistic way than Drake.

This is further exposed during the CQ combat, where animations badly transition between one another. Compare it to its obvious inspiration (Batman AA/AC): it's night and day in terms of smoothness. That said I liked the new CQ combat system quite a bit on a "gameplay" level. It merges with shooting quite well and improves the tactical depth of the whole thing quite a lot, along with the new throw-back- grenade mechanic. This last bit really adds a total new layer of tactical thinking to the firefights. Quite a few times I was intentionally avoiding to kill grenade throwing enemies as the provided grenades to throw back at the armored guys.

What else? Hmm... a few cheap deaths here and there, but other than that nothing serious to complain about besides the lack of Move support (which I firmly believe would have done wonders to the combat based on my experience with the similarly structured combat/camera system of inFamous FoB). Oh, and the puzzles were quite good this time around.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The attention to detail and animations in this game is incredible. Small little things that people won't even notice is what brings a huge smile on my face. Loving the game so far.

baekshi

Banned
daxter01 said:
I dont know man I ve finished U1 and U2 about 8 or 9 times each and aiming feels different maybe I m crazy :D
i think it's because of the difficulty. u1 and u2 had more aim assist even on hard or crushing but in u3, there is less of that. im pretty sure this is it.

also arne, i can't find clown masks in online mp, the subway stuff, and plenty of the stuff including negative boosters but they can be found in lan. if it is that we have level to unlock, then i dont understand why there isn't even a selection :\

please explain on this. this isn't the first time i posted here.

thanks

Goldrusher

baekshi said:
also arne, i can't find clown masks in online mp, the subway stuff, and plenty of the stuff including negative boosters but they can be found in lan. if it is that we have level to unlock, then i dont understand why there isn't even a selection :\

thanks
At least you have online.
In Europe the game has been on sale since Friday and we still don't have multiplayer.

Provider

So... After around 10 hours I finished the game on Normal. I'll start it on Hard and with Latinamerican Spanish VO (just for the lols) tomorrow.

arne

baekshi said:

you posted in the comments on our PS.blog post or Naughty Dog post didn't you?

LAN is completely separate from online MP since you can't have the same progression.
A lot of the stuff you see right now on LAN, you need to unlock at later levels for online MP. LAN is not your online profile, nor your online character progression.

Goldrusher

Replicant said:
Question: does difficulty trophies stack down
Of course.

Replicant said:
are there trophies for playing on Normal and Hard prior Crushing?
There are 5 difficulties. Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard & Crushing.
There are trophies for Easy, Normal, Hard & Crushing.

Crushing difficulty has to be unlocked by completing the game on any other difficulty.

baekshi

Banned
arne said:
you posted in the comments on our PS.blog post or Naughty Dog post didn't you?

LAN is completely separate from online MP since you can't have the same progression.
A lot of the stuff you see right now on LAN, you need to unlock at later levels for online MP. LAN is not your online profile, nor your online character progression.
ya i see that, all of the unlock stuff go up to level 60. is there more to that? since we can't even see those in selection, how do we know how to unlock them? i am level 55 btw

i posted here before actually, probably 10 pages past now.. :lol

SlickVic

Heh, Amazon sent me the preorder code for the MP stuff even though I cancelled my order there last week (had a gift card to use up for Gamestop). How nice of them.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Replicant said:
Question: does difficulty trophies stack down and are there trophies for playing on Normal and Hard prior Crushing?

Yes. I'd suggest going Normal for your first, quick "enjoy the spectacle" run (Easy and Normal trophies get) and then Crushing (Hard and Crushing trophies get).

Jakoavain

I wonder if it's Drake Day for me today. I received a shipping notice last week, so considering the mail and it's speed it should arrive today.

baekshi

Banned
SlickVic said:
Heh, Amazon sent me the preorder code for the MP stuff even though I cancelled my order there last week (had a gift card to use up for Gamestop). How nice of them.
they sent me one too , i canceled their pre-order as well last week.
D2PsQ.png

i have been very fortune this week :p i probably have all this unlocked though.

Autofokus

Autofokus said:
Anyone else got his CE Guide from Piggyback? Can't find the promised Download Code (MP Emblem or something).
Sorry for quoting myself, but I hope somebody can help me. I don't know whom I should contact about this. :/

TTP said:
If there is one thing they should definitely improve on is the animations. The animations per se are amazing of course, but the way Drake moves around feels so floaty and there are quite a few hard transitions that totally break the smoothness they are going after. Hard to put into words but I don't like for example how jumping trajectory feels "rigid". I have been playing infamous FoB just before U3 and the difference is staggering. Cole interacts with the environment in a much better, smoother, realistic way than Drake.

... SNIP ...

besides the lack of Move support (which I firmly believe would have done wonders to the combat based on my experience with the similarly structured combat/camera system of inFamous FoB). Oh, and the puzzles were quite good this time around.

I have yet to pick Uncharted 3 up (which I certainly will, hopefully tonight), but I am playing Infamous 2: Festival of Blood right now and agree that the moving around is pretty fantastic in that game, and that the Move controls set a new benchmark that makes me firmly believe the way Sucker Punch pulled this off should become a default alternative configuration for ALL games, definitely including Uncharted 3.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Haha, I love it when
Sully asks Nate to lift him when they're sneaking in...BUT if you take too long, he'll ask Cutter to do it.
I laughed when it happened.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
What the hell! Amazon delayed my release date shipment. First time this ever happened to me now i don't know when i will get this freaking game. FU amazon.

This will be mine when I get home from work tonight - I have the next three days off, I'm going for an old school gaming session. Been on a media blackout so I really don't know what to expect.

WebScud

d0c_zaius said:
I was demoing the game in the store, and one guy asked me what game it was o_0. Then he asked me if the tv made the graphics look that good heh.

Hah! That's amazing.

baekshi said:
they sent me one too , i canceled their pre-order as well last week.
D2PsQ.png

i have been very fortune this week :p i probably have all this unlocked though.

Same here. I canceled my pre-orders after buying the AMC standard copy, then winning the collector's.

Hixx

God bless Lovefilm, should be here tomorrow; no need to trade FIFA in to feed my habit.... yet.

Do Sony do the 7 day trial thing EA do for online stuff, or will I just be completely locked out as its a rental?

Top Bottom