• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

thuway

The more and more I play the game- the more I come to hate it for it's flaws.

- A. The pacing really needs fine tuning for the next game. It's awesome that the player gets these giant breaks in-between set pieces, however, sometimes its a little TOO much.

For example, just about anytime I see a door, I hear Nate exclaim: "Shit its locked, gotta find another way around." The player than spends 10 minutes finding the nearest hand hold on the wall to make his way around said obstacle. Its alright one or two times, but happens way too often.

- B. During set pieces its just a bad idea to take a break from the action and ask the player to platform or send five or six random groups of enemies at you. If I am on an adrenaline rush the last thing I want to do is start platforming.

- C.
The entire desert sequence
needs to be fine tuned. Its cool to play the first time around, but man does it get boring on repeated attempts.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
thuway said:

- A. The pacing really needs fine tuning for the next game. It's awesome that the player gets these giant breaks in-between set pieces, however, sometimes its a little TOO much.

For example, just about anytime I see a door, I hear Nate exclaim: "Shit its locked, gotta find another way around." The player than spends 10 minutes finding the nearest hand hold on the wall to make his way around said obstacle. Its alright one or two times, but happens way too often.

- B. During set pieces its just a bad idea to take a break from the action and ask the player to platform or send five or six random groups of enemies at you. If I am on an adrenaline rush the last thing I want to do is start platforming.

- C.
needs to be fine tuned. Its cool to play the first time around, but man does it get boring on repeated attempts.
Interesting. For me it's quite the contruary. The more I play it, the more I like it.

As for C.... I have no problems with that. The whole sequence is 5 minutes tops - and it's really well done.

demolitio

Enjoying it so far but still need to see some fixes before I commit to buying any DLC for MP.

SP is a blast as expected though.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
TheExorzist said:
Interesting. For me it's quite the contruary. The more I play it, the more I like it.

As for C.... I have no problems with that. The whole sequence is 5 minutes tops - and it's really well done.
me too :D
any update on missing motion blur?

meppi

KAOz said:
Anyone with the game in EU know if the onlinepass works yet?
Doesn't work over here yet.
Probably tomorrow since that seems to be the official release date.
Otherwise, my best best would be Friday.

Jaroof

Loving this game so far..
The intro was kinda slow, though.
It was interesting, and looks amazing, but.. I can see it getting stale on repeat runthroughs.
I got up to Chapter 8, and it's pretty damn great.
Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Oh yeah.
Holy shit.
The graphics are AMAZING!!!

KAOz

Short bus special
meppi said:
Doesn't work over here yet.
Probably tomorrow since that seems to be the official release date.
Otherwise, my best best would be Friday.

That's a shame. Was looking forward to some online coop with a friend. Wellwell.

I've made it this long without seeing anything about this game other than the E3 demo and a few other details here and there. WHY AM I IN THIS THREAD?

Anyway, I'm so excited to see part three of this incredible series. I still remember taking advantage of a glitch in Gamestop's system that allowed me to pick up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune a week before it actually launched. I've been a fan ever since.

thuway

Alright I've been bitching earlier, but I think I've nailed down my disappointments. I've touched on pacing earlier, but this one just hit me like a ton of bricks.

- PLATFORMING. In Uncharted 2 you aren't so bothered by the platforming because there is such little of it, however, in this game, you are constantly trying to find alternative routes and escaping danger. I am constantly fighting both the camera, Nate's silly jumping, and the silly hit detection with geometry. Anyone else feel this?

thuway said:

- C.
It's fair criticism thuway. However your views for Uncharted 3 extends to the rest of the series, or at least Uncharted 2, also? This is reflected along all the series, i wasn't expecting a change this time but i do notice an improvement with the pacing.

kazinova

Kagari said:
I like the pacing so far.
Being able to play a section as young Drake really surprised me :eek:
I impulsively reveal spoiler tagged stuff, I only have myself to blame. That would have been a nice surprise...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
kazinova said:
I impulsively reveal spoiler tagged stuff, I only have myself to blame. That would have been a nice surprise...

You sure do!

By the way, the puzzles in this game are a lot more challenging than the others for sure.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Excited to play, but I am seriously bummed about the missing motion blur effects. That added a LOT to the visuals in Uncharted 2 and removing it is a HUGE blow. The fact that it WAS previously present is every more damning. What the hell, ND?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dark10x said:
Excited to play, but I am seriously bummed about the missing motion blur effects. That added a LOT to the visuals in Uncharted 2 and removing it is a HUGE blow. The fact that it WAS previously present is every more damning. What the hell, ND?

Arne said earlier that he talked to some fellow Naughty Dogs and they seemed surprised that motion blur apparently isn't present, so it appears its removal was inadvertent. If so, I suspect the effect will return via a patch.

demolitio

Kagari said:
I like the pacing so far.
Being able to play a section as young Drake really surprised me :eek:
Agreed. That was a huge surprise for me and I enjoyed it quite a bit even if it was slow, solely because it gave me a better understanding of Drake and Sully's relationship. It sounds like they really listened to fan feedback about wanting more Sully.

KAOz said:
Anyone with the game in EU know if the onlinepass works yet?

I've had the game since Friday, they told me the online pass wouldn't work until tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday, GMT+1), since the EU official launch date is 2/11.

Massa

JaseC said:
Arne said earlier that he talked to some fellow Naughty Dogs and they seemed surprised that the effect apparently isn't present, so it appears its removal was inadvertent. If so, I suspect motion blur will return via a patch.

Maybe they just toned it down a lot, like Killzone 3.

Hyuga

Banned
Playing it the second time now :)
Best game ever! Love it!!

2yvjwv8.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Massa said:
Maybe they just toned it down a lot, like Killzone 3.

Quite a few GAFers have said there's none whatsoever and that it was present in the Summer beta earlier in the year.

Kagari said:
You sure do!

By the way, the puzzles in this game are a lot more challenging than the others for sure.
Absolutely, they are a bit more challenging and interesting this time around. This makes player feel more involved so it isn't perceived as if the puzzle element is dragging the game pacing, like in the case of the previous ones. Very happy that ND addressed this issue.

A minuscule detail that did a lot for the "immersion" factor (lol) is that context animation when Drake gets close to a surface and touches it. It makes the character seem aware of the environment and inside of it, instead of giving the impression it just superimposed there.

CozMick

Banned
Man, I can't wait for this game, having BF3 to tide me over is cool and all but daaaaaaaaaaaaamn, what a long day it's gonna be.

Roelatie

@T(*&)#&

My gamedealer doesnt get the game until tomorrow! @#$*)^@.

I am waiting for it because i preordered it and already paid for it!

The wait is killing me!

Samus4145

Our review is up.

Some slight issues with A.I. at times and I found myself stuck in a floor once when the camera got stuck in a wall, but other than those minor issues, it surely is a masterpiece. The first play through took a little over 7 hours on normal.

Feel free to send me a message for some Co-op or competitive multiplayer. I can't get enough.

vehn

Have > Amazon pre-order bonus code (Carpet Bomb Kickback, Clip Size Mod for Para 9, and Clip Size Mod for G-MAL)

Want > TF2 Metal

PM me!

meppi

Refreshment.01 said:
A minuscule detail that did a lot for the "immersion" factor (lol) is that context animation when Drake gets close to a surface and touches it. It makes the character seem aware of the environment and inside of it, instead of giving the impression it just superimposed there.

Oh indeed. Those small thing that lots of people will miss are the ones that really put the cherry on the cake. Well if you catch them yourself the first time though actually.
I probably missed a lot as well at this point.
Also the subtle reactions and looks people give each other when other things are going on is something I really love.

Not wanting to spoil anything like that though, just want to mention the hand-holding and reaction afterwards for instance. ;)

also marco solo lol

Lily

The PSN pass that is included isnt unlocking for me, im from the UK and the game isnt supposed to be out until tomorrow, will it unlock tomorrow or is my code useless?

thuway said:
- C.

I adore that scene. I'm not sure how they could have done it differently, other than just lock it down as a cut-scene.

EDIT: Also in full agreement with other posters -- I adored the slower build-up.

Fezan

OK after Finishing chapter 10 i can definitely say this game is a lot better than U2.
it has better pacing better AI.also the details are amazing.I dont know how to put it but the world in U3 feels more alive.
if you want a linear cinematic experience this is as good a game can get..yes there are a few problems here and there some time with animation and some low res texture but you have to be constantly keep on looking for them instead of playing game.It is one of the most polished game upuntil now.

Are later chapter that bad to ruin the experience? Its like people are just given the task to find problem in a perfect game and everybody seems to be doing so

Top Bottom