• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

The Chef

My god this game looks incredible. There animations are so well done it looks like real footage - and thats just for people walking around on the street. Totally amazing.

Gvaz

Banned
The reason I asked if UC3 had more exploration and less shooting is because for UC1 I went "drake is indiana jones? Yay! Wait why is there a shootout for 15 minutes every 5 minutes of exploration, ugughhgsdfklsdjfadf"

grendelrt

jett said:
Yeah I have no interest in submitting myself to this

3d_000.bmp.jpg

2d_000.bmp.jpg

So I was reading through the thread for 3D impressions. Has this been cleaned up at all since beta?? Any reviews out touch upon the differences?

jett

D-Member
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I prefer UC1 because of the setting. The environments and set pieces were connected and didn't feel disjointed, like in UC2. I hated the globetrotting in UC2. I easily felt disconnected from the world.

UC1 also had a better atmosphere that was accompanied by the music (which felt very haunting at times) . It was just peaceful and tranquil at times.

I just loved Drake, Elena, and Sullivan being isolated in the jungle without tons of new characters thrown out at you.

I'd kill for ND to redo the graphics and melee to UC3 levels for UC1.

This such a wrong thing to say. Uncharted 1 & 2 have the same chapter structure, and I'll tell you why. In Uncharted 1, you reach the El Dorado island in chapter 4 and you stay there for the rest of the game. In UC2, you reach Nepal in chapter 5 and you stay there for the rest of the game.

Anteater said:

Because I noticed the same thing. Its not the same as UC2 on hard there seems to be no auto aim whatsoever but not only that even with the senstivity all the way up it just feels too slow. Like the easing band of acceleration to deceleration when your moving the reticule is off.

koene

Allright, finished it. Is it just me or is U3 way harder than previous installments? Normal feels like playing on hard sometimes.

Anyways, I think Chapter
17 to 20
are the best parts of the game.
Setting my first steps in the dessert was just jawdropping.
I can't believe how beautiful the visuals are. That follewed by
the crazy horse riding sequence
. Just wow!

koene said:
Allright, finished it. Is it just me or is U3 way harder than previous installments? Normal feels like playing on hard sometimes.

Even with the difficulty of the aiming I thought it was cake on hard which I cant say about UC2. I think I have died only a couple of times and that was mostly due to trying to throw a grenade back.

RDreamer

BruceLeeRoy said:
Are you guys playing on "Hard"?

Yeah, but I played Uc2 my first time through on hard also. Got through both Uc1 and 2 on crushing like two times each, too. As I said, the shooting has definitely gone downhill. I was kind of afraid of it going further downhill for this game, but yeah... I think it has. Not only is the aiming pretty wonky for some reason, the combat arenas are now pretty annoying. Too many enemies run at you (and then lumber around awkwardly behind you sometimes...). And you can't really seem to tell which ones are going to do it. In 1 and 2 you could easily tell "Oh that guy's a shotgun gun, I can't let him out of my site because he's going to try and flank me somewhere. I'll get him when he comes around that corner."

RDreamer

BruceLeeRoy said:
If your playing on HARD turn the aiming sensitivity up to maxed or almost maxed. It will help out a lot.

It is all the way up. That helped a bit when I turned it, but it still feels wonky... Like maybe there's more of a dead zone than before? I can't really put my finger on it, but it is really frustrating how great I could do in 1, then less so in 2, and now way less so in 3.

Toki767

Got up to Chapter 14 on Crushing last night.

I hate the huge firefight that breaks out in the ballroom. Easily one of the most annoying battles in the game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game is incredible... I am amazed at every turn.

The animation is unmatched. Omg.

Guevara

Finished the game last night quick question: am I crazy or am I not seeing the "cheats" like unlimited ammo, one shot kills, low gravity, etc for the campaign?

Replaying U2 with one shot kills and a pistole was incredibly fun.

Guevara said:
Finished the game last night quick question: am I crazy or am I not seeing the "cheats" like unlimited ammo, one shot kills, low gravity, etc for the campaign?

Replaying U2 with one shot kills and a pistole was incredibly fun.

Yeah, this was talked about a few pages ago. Arne said that ND removed them because they were causing a lot of bugs in the game, so no choice.

gdt

Oh my lord, this is insane. Dat graphics.

New combat is pretty good, and yeah, when you have a few enemies around, it can resemble Batman a bit.

Guevara

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Yeah, this was talked about a few pages ago. Arne said that ND removed them because they were causing a lot of bugs in the game, so no choice.
Ugh. That sucks so much. Major downgrade of replay value.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
RDreamer said:
Yeah, but I played Uc2 my first time through on hard also. Got through both Uc1 and 2 on crushing like two times each, too. As I said, the shooting has definitely gone downhill. I was kind of afraid of it going further downhill for this game, but yeah... I think it has. Not only is the aiming pretty wonky for some reason, the combat arenas are now pretty annoying. Too many enemies run at you (and then lumber around awkwardly behind you sometimes...). And you can't really seem to tell which ones are going to do it. In 1 and 2 you could easily tell "Oh that guy's a shotgun gun, I can't let him out of my site because he's going to try and flank me somewhere. I'll get him when he comes around that corner."
Yeah, I preferred the gunplay in UC2 much better myself. I dunno why they had to add recoil to every gun there is in the game. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Hmm, it's starting to sound like they pushed themselves just a bit too hard this time around. The final game appears to be very polished, but there is definitely evidence that they were rushing to the finish line.

RDreamer

Inanna said:
Yeah, I preferred the gunplay in UC2 much better myself. I dunno why they had to add recoil to every gun there is in the game. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think the aiming was alright in 2, but the headshot hitbox was really weird. You had to aim above their head or something. I really didn't like it.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
When are the European servers going online? I want to redeem my code. :(

RDreamer said:
I think the aiming was alright in 2, but the headshot hatbox was really weird. You had to aim above their head or something. I really didn't like it.
In UC2? I never had that problem.

RDreamer

Inanna said:
When are the European servers going online? I want to redeem my code. :(

In UC2? I never had that problem.

I did. As I said before, I could headshot like no tomorrow in 1. Going through Crushing I really rarely did body shots unless I had a one hit kill pistol. In 2 though? Nope.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fuck. Kmart didn't get any copies of Uncharted 3 in and the only reason I could afford it after losing my job was because of that $20 coupon. 

Wessiej

Feel kinda dissapointed about this game. AI and the shooting feel borderline retarded and worse than in UC2. The game is at his best when you are not playing.

"I see great things in our future, kid... great things"

*cuts to a shot of Sully and Nate lying bleeding and unconscious in an alley (then a swerve)

Haha, love this game

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Called it... LoI

Along with the retail release of the game we’re announcing day-one DLC will be available as well. Three classic skin packs featuring a grand total of 25 character skins from UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune and UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves will hit PSN as downloadable items for your UNCHARTED 3 multiplayer experience. Members of the Fortune Hunters’ Club will be getting these three classic skin packs for free and a second dose of DLC is just around the corner—very close, in fact – so if you haven’t become a member of the club yet now is an ideal time to do so.

dark10x said:
Hmm, it's starting to sound like they pushed themselves just a bit too hard this time around. The final game appears to be very polished, but there is definitely evidence that they were rushing to the finish line.

Definitely. I just hope this motion blur talk and the control complaints we're seeing aren't also part of that rushing.

The control complaints in particular have me worried. I'm very sensitive to gameplay *feel*, and if it's off I'm going to notice. It would be so disappointing to have something so rudimentary mess up such an amazing experience.

Still 6 more hours til I'm playing this. :/

Bollocks

RoadHazard said:
Got my copy!

sVwGG.jpg

(It doesn't officially release here in Europe until tomorrow, but the place I ordered it from shipped it yesterday, so I got it today.)
I swear to god, this 4 language cover is the worst idea ever, mine's 4 languages as well but different.
As one can see the PSN bubble is maxed out with text on the front and on the back the text goes over the screenshots/artwork because they have to write the same text 4 f******* times, just make it English ffs as if anyone would care, the title is already in English

Guevara

RDreamer said:
The stealth stuff is definitely much better.
When it works. I couldn't make it through any stealth section without raising alarm, though I got close a few times. In fact I'm not sure it's even possible?

"He's here!"
fuck.

can't wait to pick this up, play the story once and take it back for Zelda: SS

I love me some uncharted but I never play it more then once.

MW3 and BF3 will consume me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
dark10x said:

Agree. There is evidence of cut content as well.

Am I crazy? When I force the game to upscale to 1080p, it looks a lot better than the native 720p.

I swear I have gone back and forth, and its not even close. Anyone else? If I am wrong let me know that my eyes are deceiving me.

Top Bottom