• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Pranay

thuway said:
The more and more I play the game- the more I come to hate it for it's flaws.

- A. The pacing really needs fine tuning for the next game. It's awesome that the player gets these giant breaks in-between set pieces, however, sometimes its a little TOO much.

For example, just about anytime I see a door, I hear Nate exclaim: "Shit its locked, gotta find another way around." The player than spends 10 minutes finding the nearest hand hold on the wall to make his way around said obstacle. Its alright one or two times, but happens way too often.

- B. During set pieces its just a bad idea to take a break from the action and ask the player to platform or send five or six random groups of enemies at you. If I am on an adrenaline rush the last thing I want to do is start platforming.

- C.
The entire desert sequence
needs to be fine tuned. Its cool to play the first time around, but man does it get boring on repeated attempts.

It seems your over anazying in your second playthrough

and i disagree with "C".

That Particular part doesnt have a replay for value buts its a unique experience when you play it at first time.

Such parts cant have replay values honestly :|

Fezan said:
OK after Finishing chapter 10 i can definitely say this game is a lot better than U2.
it has better pacing better AI.also the details are amazing.I dont know how to put it but the world in U3 feels more alive.
if you want a linear cinematic experience this is as good a game can get..yes there are a few problems here and there some time with animation and some low res texture but you have to be constantly keep on looking for them instead of playing game.It is one of the most polished game upuntil now.

Are later chapter that bad to ruin the experience? Its like people are just given the task to find problem in a perfect game and everybody seems to be doing so
It gets better

Fezan said:
Are later chapter that bad to ruin the experience? Its like people are just given the task to find problem in a perfect game and everybody seems to be doing so

No. I think what's happened with Uncharted 3 is that because the whole experience is so good, it's a lot easier to pick out little dislikes. Be it in the pacing, shooting, lack of motion blur, difficulty spikes, removal of cheats, whatever.

That's not to say this is a perfect game. It isn't. It gets some stuff wrong. But the whole experience is so good overall, I feel like those little blemishes stand out much more strongly. And that's why you see all these "disappointing" posts.

If you're loving the game right now, I guarantee you will adore the whole experience.

It's personally my favourite Uncharted.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fezan said:
OK after Finishing chapter 10 i can definitely say this game is a lot better than U2.
it has better pacing better AI.also the details are amazing.I dont know how to put it but the world in U3 feels more alive.
if you want a linear cinematic experience this is as good a game can get..yes there are a few problems here and there some time with animation and some low res texture but you have to be constantly keep on looking for them instead of playing game.It is one of the most polished game upuntil now.

Hell no. It gets even better.

Goldrusher

Pranay_ said:
It seems your over anazying in your second playthrough
Sounds like thuway wants the game to be more of a shooter, when virtually everybody else wanted - and got - more puzzles and platforming.
Having said that, many of the game's shootouts are huge and the second half of the game is pretty much non-stop shooting.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JaseC said:
Arne said earlier that he talked to some fellow Naughty Dogs and they seemed surprised that motion blur apparently isn't present, so it appears its removal was inadvertent. If so, I suspect the effect will return via a patch.
That is incredibly bizarre. It's obvious that the effect is completely absent, so I'm surprised that they are confused by that. Would be amazing if they added the effect back in somehow.

If it's really missing by accident then, well, that is one of the strangest "bugs" I've seen in recent times. How do you miss something like that?

Solo

Probably by rushing the game to meet an arbitrary date announced far too early. Skyrim will likely suffer in similar ways.

Fezan

get2sammyb said:
That's not to say this is a perfect game. It isn't. It gets some stuff wrong. But the whole experience is so good overall, I feel like those little blemishes stand out much more strongly. And that's why you see all these "disappointing" posts.

If you're loving the game right now, I guarantee you will adore the whole experience.

It's personally my favourite Uncharted.
Cant wait for my today's paper to end then :)
And i know its not a perfect game but the problems are so little and so far and few.in the end whole experience matters and this is among the few games that is putting smile on my face whether its gfx or on liner dialogue or small details

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
dark10x said:
That is incredibly bizarre. It's obvious that the effect is completely absent, so I'm surprised that they are confused by that. Would be amazing if they added the effect back in somehow.

If it's really missing by accident then, well, that is one of the strangest "bugs" I've seen in recent times. How do you miss something like that?
something weird happened because even launch trailer had motion blur

dark10x

daxter01 said:
Makes me want to shelve the game for a bit in hopes that this will be fixed. Was deciding between this or Sonic Generations for today's gaming session anyways. As excited as I am for Uncharted, I can wait a bit longer.

Really hope they fix it.

dark10x said:

My thoughts exactly. I would be shocked if they added it back in with a patch.

Kagari said:
You sure do!

By the way, the puzzles in this game are a lot more challenging than the others for sure.
I would argue (not strongly, I adore the game) that they border on unintuitive in certain parts. Chapter 8-10 spoiler:

for the LIFE of me I could not figure out that I had to stand ON the symbol to get Nate to pull out the scope and focus on the North Star. honestly was wandering around for like 5 minutes. also, in the crypt when Chloe says "i can feel a draft here", I ran around for 5 minutes looking for a button prompt.

maybe I'm just not very good at this. :-/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got my copy!

sVwGG.jpg

(It doesn't officially release here in Europe until tomorrow, but the place I ordered it from shipped it yesterday, so I got it today.)

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
dark10x said:
Makes me want to shelve the game for a bit in hopes that this will be fixed. Was deciding between this or Sonic Generations for today's gaming session anyways. As excited as I am for Uncharted, I can wait a bit longer.

Really hope they fix it.
lack of motion blur is really annoying but i think this is the best looking console game i ve played

dark10x

daxter01 said:
You're right. Just checked it and, sure enough, it's there.

I wish there were some way to get a clear answer on this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dark10x said:

Really hope they fix it.

hmm. Makes me feel better for holding off while I finish Dark Souls. Also the release date in the UK is mid-week which isn't usual, so I won't pick it up until maybe Friday.

If this was an accidental thing, it could be patched pretty quickly.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
My 80 gig phat is out of HD space and on life support (blow dried it back to life twice now) fear not, my spankin new 320 gig UC3 bundle arrives tomorrow! I love it when a plan comes together.

dark10x said:

Really hope they fix it.

It's really not worth shelving the game over. Honestly, maybe I'm not acute to these things, but if it wasn't for this thread I genuinely wouldn't know.

The game looks unbelievable.

meppi said:
Also the subtle reactions and looks people give each other when other things are going on is something I really love.
Some of the most interesting dialog and jokes are the ones that take place outside of the cutscenes while traversing the environments.

And it can't be said enough the work and care that went into the music which its outstanding.

Even if there is an absence of some effects featured in Uncharted 2 (motion blur the most noticeable by people so far), for me its more than compensated by the fact that set pieces are a lot more complex, it seems there's more physic simulations going on. Foot steps in the sand are very convincing. Sand storms on the other hand are nothing impressive.

Gvaz said:
Is there less gunfights in this game? Cause I wish this series was more adventury/platformy.

You'll be very pleased then. Much better balance in this game. Less shooting, more puzzles, same amount of adventure.

get2sammyb said:
You'll be very pleased then. Much better balance in this game. Less shooting, more puzzles, same amount of adventure.

This concerns me.

Hand to hand combat is fine, if it's executed as well as it is in Arkham City, which many people have recently played. But if it's lacking, it's going to bother me. Focus on what your game does best.

BruiserBear said:
This concerns me.

Hand to hand combat is fine, if it's executed as well as it is in Arkham City, which many people have recently played. But if it's lacking, it's going to bother me. Focus on what your game does best.
Ouch no, tamper those expectations man. Holy shit! Arkham City good?I expect the next Virtua Fighter to have Gears of War shoot outs and Mario Galaxy like platforming. Joking aside, hand to hand does get repetitive not to the extend of annoyance, except for 1 enemy type wich everyone will notice. But it does merge well with the movie atmosphere the games tries to pull of.

Refreshment.01 said:
Ouch no, tamper those expectations man. Holy shit! Arkham City good?I expect the next Virtua Fighter to have Gears of War shoot outs and Mario Galaxy like platforming. Joking aside, hand to hand does get repetitive not to the extend of annoyance, except for 1 enemy type wich everyone will notice. But it does merge well with the movie atmosphere the games tries to pull of.

I'm not saying I expect it to be as good as Arkham, but I'm saying that if Naughty Dog thinks it's wise to make the hand to hand combat a greater focus of the game, they'd better make sure it matches people's expectations for such gameplay these days. The bar has been raised by the Arkham games.

In other words, if you're hand to hand isn't great, please don't push it on people more.

Varth

BruiserBear said:
This concerns me.

Don't worry, it does. The "balance difference" between U2 and U3 has been largely overrated. It's still Uncharted. It's just different in terms of "rythm".

Oh, BTW: can someone who picked up a UK *retail* (no promo) copy confirm if it's multilanguage or not?

iNvid02

my mp garb codes aren't working, ffuuu.

anyone else from EU with special edition - are the bonus codes live? the pass worked fine

no biggy because its story first as always but still

MrPliskin

Banned
dark10x said:
Excited to play, but I am seriously bummed about the missing motion blur effects. That added a LOT to the visuals in Uncharted 2 and removing it is a HUGE blow. The fact that it WAS previously present is every more damning. What the hell, ND?

Was it in the Subway MP build?

dark10x said:

I remember reading about them finding something absolutely game breaking a day before going gold, perhaps the Motion Blur was too much during specific scenes and causing the game to crash?

BruiserBear said:
I'm not saying I expect it to be as good as Arkham, but I'm saying that if Naughty Dog thinks it's wise to make the hand to hand combat a greater focus of the game, they'd better make sure it matches people's expectations for such gameplay these days. The bar has been raised by the Arkham games.

In other words, if you're hand to hand isn't great, please don't push it on people more.
Well you got my opinion in the preview post, repetitive but merges well with the game presentation. However, even mentioning Arkahm City its a bit unfair since combat in that game relies more than anything in hand to hand (Batman doesn't use fire arms remember) Uncharted its the opposite case.

Anyway, looking forward to hear your impressions regarding this element once you go hands on with the game BruiserBear.

Jakoavain

RoadHazard said:
Got my copy!

sVwGG.jpg

(It doesn't officially release here in Europe until tomorrow, but the place I ordered it from shipped it yesterday, so I got it today.)

My copy got shipped last week, so I'm hoping it's waiting me at home. Getting off work soon, so I'll be super excited on the way home.

RDreamer

Is it just me or is aiming weird in this one. I feel like I can't aim worth a crap. And I already felt the aiming in Uc2 was worse than 1. I could headshot people all day in 1, almost never could in 2, and now I'm having trouble even getting body shots...

Anteater

RDreamer said:
Is it just me or is aiming weird in this one. I feel like I can't aim worth a crap. And I already felt the aiming in Uc2 was worse than 1. I could headshot people all day in 1, almost never could in 2, and now I'm having trouble even getting body shots...

Yea it definitely feels weird and "clunky", not sure if that's the right word, I'm still doing fine but not as smooth as previous games, not sure what it is though, at first I thought the diagonals weren't going where I want it to but it doesn't seem that way when I adjust my aiming a bit.

RedRedSuit said:
Yeah, it's pretty mind-boggling. Maybe the story... but overall, or in terms of gameplay, or graphics... wow.

I prefer UC1 because of the setting. The environments and set pieces were connected and didn't feel disjointed, like in UC2. I hated the globetrotting in UC2. I easily felt disconnected from the world.

UC1 also had a better atmosphere that was accompanied by the music (which felt very haunting at times) . It was just peaceful and tranquil at times.

I just loved Drake, Elena, and Sullivan being isolated in the jungle without tons of new characters thrown out at you.

I'd kill for ND to redo the graphics and melee to UC3 levels for UC1.

BruiserBear said:
This concerns me.

See I think by having a heavier emphasis on puzzles and a lesser emphasis on shooting it is playing to its strengths. Brawling is not as good as Arkham City, but then that game is pretty much the best in the business when it comes to fist-fights.

So i had to start the game over because the introductory scene, along with the music and acting blew me the fuck away and I couldnt take it. SO FUCKING GOOD.

DEM DRAKE EYES.

dark10x

MrPliskin said:
Was it in the Subway MP build?

I remember reading about them finding something absolutely game breaking a day before going gold, perhaps the Motion Blur was too much during specific scenes and causing the game to crash?
I never tried the Subway build, just the original beta.

Secondly, I can't imagine that being the case. Perhaps they mistakenly disabled it when it went gold, though? Even if it were problematic in one area or another, they could simply have disabled it for those moments. Resistance 3 and Battlefield 3 PC both disable motion blur during a couple specific scenes, for instance.

Stopped at Chapter 10 last night, mostly due to taking my time through the game and not having much time to play.

Puzzles do seem to be harder this time around and the controls during some platforming levels feel a bit looser than before.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy about the game overall.

Anteater said:
Yea it definitely feels weird and "clunky", not sure if that's the right word, I'm still doing fine but not as smooth as previous games, not sure what it is though, at first I thought the diagonals weren't going where I want it to but it doesn't seem that way when I adjust my aiming a bit.

Are you guys playing on "Hard"?

Top Bottom