• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS VS Vita battery life test

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireCloud

In case there are those who haven't seen it. twentytwo22 did a battery test on his new Vita and posted the results in the Playstation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. He did his test playing UMvC3...

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Mobile Data (3G) ON (but is probably over-riden by...
Wifi ON (connected to home network) -- this means I was getting notifications/etc the whole time, all on
Bluetooth OFF
Brightness MAX (note: Brightness in OS MAX, caps in-game at about 80% [battery saving measure -- even 80% brightness is really bright...])
Near Auto-Updating ON
Headphones, volume at 50%

Time was spent: Play UMvC3 from Game Card (including about 30 minutes of Online play)
Occasionally flipping to Web Browser for quick look-ups, as well as Trophies app to check trophies (game kept running in the background, obviously)

Full to Death: 4:29
Warning notice came on at 4:11

Also, dofry did another test while playing video...

Movie Battery Test:

Wifi Model Vita
Wifi OFF/ON (connected to home network) -- 4 hours OFF when at work, but at home it was ON.
Bluetooth ON
Brightness MAX
Near Auto-Updating: I didn't even check because I use WiFi model of Vita.
Headphones, volume at 100%

Time was spent: Played a constant loop of Man from Nowhere. (Ripped the movie and compressed it to 320x240. Found out better software too late. Bitrate was 828kbps if anyone is interested.)

Full to Death: 7:41

Thanks for the template twentytwo22. Should give you some estimate even though not fully taxing for the system.

Busaiku

Does Monster Hunter 3G really drain that much battery?
I always get at least 3 hours with max brightness, max sound, max 3D, and WiFi on for every game.

Arklite

OK then I will change my stance.

Since 3D drains the system more and the 3DS has a smaller battery I say that getting over 2 and a half hours is very impressive when compared to the VITA which has a bigger battery, a power saving screen, and cost almost twice as much.

The power of framing

I also want to state that not all smartphones are battery draining monsters.
I get 5 days out of my motorola defy in normal use and almost a week in "holiday"-mode(no internet and less phoning)

Why stop there? I can carry a car battery on my backpack!

Seriously, I have used those kind of batteries and are far from ideal.

Hey, I know, and I don't plan on owning one, but for people who really want and usually play for more than 4 hours a day without been able to recharge it's a good deal.

7 hours and 41 minutes playing video at max brightness sounds really good. I think some people who enjoy watching series will love that. It also seems like Sony really optimized battery life for non-gaming applications, which is awesome.

I wonder how long can you use it at medium brightness with 3G + browser/twitter with sound and bluetooth turned off?

wsippel

Banned
Wait the Vita screen is capped at 80% britghtness?!
In games, yes. Power consumption on OLED displays also heavily depends on the brightness of the scene itself, so displaying mostly dark green and gray like in this test is pretty much a best case scenario for the system. Displaying pure white on the other hand consumes less power on an IPS screen (same brightness, of course).

how is not fair comparing both systems with their most interesting features on? 3D for 3DS and a high profile game like Uncharted for Vita?

You can turn 3D off on 3DS, sure, and you won't be playing Uncharted forever, the are loads of games that will use less cpu power, on both systems. So what seems obvious that if you want to use both systems fully, 3D and 'PS3' looking games, Vita wins. Nintendo did not do their homework as good as sony this time.

And as a consumer and gamer, I don't care about WHY this and WHY that, I just want to know how long I can play a game at various settings, information I hope will eventually come my way.
I don't care about how the 3d does this for battery life and the resolution does that...how long can I play each system? I don't need excuses. Ok, Vita lasts longer but both are abysmal (and I expect will get worse as my system ages). Thank you. I am informed.

And the excuses are the worst kind - The kind that the producers of the products were well aware of. If 3d halves battery life, I'm sure Nintendo is aware. If the Vita's power is a power hog, then Sony is well aware of that as well. Both of these companies could have confronted the issue with a better battery rather than asking their customers to change settings and, worse, turn off functionality.

HOLD ON HOLD ON

How come no one is addressing that by default the Vita has a power saving measure, capping brightness in game at 80% while the video had the 3DS brightness at MAX and didn't mention using the power saving feature (which is off by default)?!

Majine

Banned
Wait, didn't the original PSP also have around that range in batterylife? Seems they improved on it alot (I assume that is a PSP-3000).

Durante

What I dislike with this kind of "max brightness" tests (also when performed for eg. tablets or laptops) is that they are inherently disadvantageous to the device with the brighter screen. Ideally, you should measure with as close to equal light output as possible.

Also, the Uncharted scene was pretty dark, which is a factor for OLED. Still, it's performing pretty well, and the battery life reports in the launch thread have also been largely positive.

You think? isnt the 3DS working twice as hard with 3D on?
It's working twice as hard as 1/10th as hard as Vita (considering the rough amount of processing expended to run the games).

And the excuses are the worst kind - The kind that the producers of the products were well aware of. If 3d halves battery life, I'm sure Nintendo is aware. If the Vita's power is a power hog, then Sony is well aware of that as well. Both of these companies could have confronted the issue with a better battery rather than asking their customers to change settings and, worse, turn off functionality.
The Vita is not a power hog. By all accounts, it is just about as efficient at doing what it does as it can get at this point in time.

vita has cutting edge graphics, cutting edge screen with much higher resolution.

3ds is underpowered with two really low res screens, all in all its is more comparable to psp than vita.

yet it cant keep up with the psp and even the vita completely outperforms it.

I did not even know it was this bad. 2,5 hours is absolutely pathetic.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
HOLD ON HOLD ON

How come no one is addressing that by default the Vita has a power saving measure, capping brightness in game at 80% while the video had the 3DS brightness at MAX and didn't mention using the power saving feature (which is off by default)?!

Because this is not a thread about facts or logic or anything.

Busaiku

HOLD ON HOLD ON

I forgot 3DS even had that feature.

What you are stating does not even make sense. Its not a fair comparison because the PS VITA does not do 3D. That's like me saying lets have a test between a 720P tv vs 1080p and saying that's fair. Seriously.

A better test would be no 3D at all for a fair comparison.

With a battery test with all features on all the systems turned up to full is still a good test but its not an accurate representation between the VITA and 3DS. Full Wifi, Full sound, and full Brightness would be a comparable test to see who wins in battery life with those SAME exact features.

Yeah, you want to take the selling point of the 3DS from the test? What kind of spin is this? What a joke.

FireCloud

HOLD ON HOLD ON

It's all relative isn't it? If 80% is what the brightness is capped at in games on the Vita. Then that is the MAX setting.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm personally more interested in best case scenarios, ie: what I'll usually use during travel.

I rarely crank all settings to max unless the device is plugged in, or the socket is nearby.

However, I still think people should give Sony credit for delivering on their "Comparable to PSP" battery promise. It's actually better than the PSP in some situations.

ASIS

Are people still debating which one has a better battery life? Really? They are both shit. Smh, how did we get from 15 Hours to 3 is beyond me.

Why isn't battery tech improving? :(

vita has cutting edge graphics, cutting edge screen with much higher resolution.

3ds is underpowered with two really low res screens, all in all its is more comparable to psp than vita.

yet it cant keep up with the psp and even the vita completely outperforms it.

I did not even know it was this bad. 2,5 hours is absolutely pathetic.

like i said. this comparison is only useful to fanboys.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
3D on/off is mostly relieving stress on the processor, and not sending a SMALL amount of extra power to the parallax barrier. It would be more akin to underclocking the Vita than any other suggestion
Actually, this is incorrect.
The parallax barrier blocks light, when 3D is enabled (the slider is not in the off position) the screen brightness is increased to compensate (it's also pretty noticeable), which has a sizable effect on battery life.

Wow.... I've been very, very happy with the DS Lite battery so far. 3DS dissapoints in a major way. I guess most people play it at home the vast majority of the time anyway though.

rosjos44

Yeah, you want to take the selling point of the 3DS from the test? What kind of spin is this? What a joke.

Put 3D on the VITA and I bet it would not even last more than an hour and a half. Take away? No I'm talking about using the same features each system has for a stand off in battery life. Why is the PSVITA getting 80% brightness / power mode on when the 3DS isn't and has a brighter screen? You think that is fair?

cgcg

I wonder what it would be with 3D off on the 3DS. I know that's what the console is all about but comparing the two using two different display features is a bit dumb in my eyes.

Might as well have Vita sit at the OS screen. It's probably using similar amount of processing power as the 3DS with a game at that point.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It's all relative isn't it? If 80% is what the brightness is capped at in games on the Vita. Then that is the MAX setting.
Just like Durante said, in this kind of tests the device with the brightest screen is at an unfair disadvantage.

Lets say that Nintendo releases tomorrow a firmware that locks the screen at level 1 brightness. We can now say that the 3DS battery is much improved because now lasts longer is on max settings? :)

patsu

Nyko will show some accessories for the Vita at CES, and I'm sure they'll design something better. But considering the Vita's current size, I don't how they can make something that will provide a comfortable end user experience.

Well, they can also design a carrying case with pluggable battery, like my iPhone one. There should be lot's of possibilities.

Actually, this is incorrect.
The parallax barrier blocks light, when 3D is enabled (the slider is not in the off position) the screen brightness is increased to compensate (it's also pretty noticeable), which has a sizable effect on battery life.

Past the max brightness with 3D off? I never noticed. Thanks.

Either way, I don't think it will allow for a 33% increase in life. Do you

Corto

Nice but could be better ! Should be able to clip to the Vita (left and right sides, or bottom is probably best)

Honestly, I'm not sure that pic is a final design of the battery. But the back touch pad is indeed very limiting for an external solution. I agree that the bottom of the Vita would be preferable.

I'm dealing with the idea getting this.
How much thicker does it make the 3DS?
it comes with it's own cradle, right? can you use the normal AC adapter to charge?

Makes it about 30% more thicker, but because its tapering you won't notice it much, kinda like the old iPad. The texture is rubbery with groves for your fingers, much better than default crampy/slippery grip of 3DS. You can charge it using 3DS adapter directly.

of course the 3DS should be tested with 3D on. i believe most people play it that way, so if we're doing realistic use scenarios, it should be on. brightness and volume should be set at equal perceived levels.

if one system lets you crank it louder or brighter, putting them both on full is going to horribly skew things. this could be seriously hindering the battery life of either system in this comparison.

OLED screens use less power in darker scenes than brighter scenes too, so you should pick a game of average brightness.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Compared to the Ipad or the iPhone both are very bad. I don't get why hardware companies don't give that much of a shit when it comes to battery runtime....

yet the batteries on a ipad is much larger and the iphone is much more efficient.
Apple bought out this company sometime ago that was SUPER PROS @ batteries, hence why they have good life time on their products

HOLD ON HOLD ON

lol STOP THE PRESS!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What about tests while in the mile high club and bumpin some music while you and the airline assistants are in the cabin knockin boots?

iceatcs

So people are going to ignore Vita w/ power saver vs 3DS w/o power saver. Okay...

Won't be too much different because all the test systems are running on the game all the time, and power saver highly likely not been used yet.

But yeah it should have switch on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom