• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, the Escape Plan live chat has changed my mind on picking this up. The developers seem really passionate about the game, and I love that they are reaching out to the community.

I remember watching a trailer a few months ago and being interested, but I know I wasn't in the mindset of "I need this game." I now feel the opposite.

StuBurns

Banned
embargo for what reviews?
All the launch games more or less. I know some stuff I want, but things like Escape Plan could be utter shit for all I know.

Also, when's Sound Shapes coming? At E3 he said launch window, but I've heard nothing recently.

UberTag

Golden Abyss has a handful of reviews out.
Perhaps there is no embargo and media outlets are all boycotting/dismissing giving Vita coverage due to being brainwashed by Apple.

Digishine

Banned
$42 ?

12RJ1.png

idcNyfw3FEFKw.jpeg

Damn !

It's time to finalize my launch purchase plans, so I'm trying to decide on one more game on top of what I'm already getting (HSG and Gravity Rush whenever that's out.) Are there any sites that have detailed impressions of Dynasty Warriors Next? I'm having difficulty finding any. I want it, but I also want to make sure that it's not just DW7 downgraded to fit on a Vita cartridge with touch elements. As a Warriors fan I have a high tolerance for rehash, but not that high. If I end up not getting that I'll probably just go with Shinobido or possibly Blazblue.

I did the same thing a few hours ago. Already had the 3g/Wifi model ordered, but I needed to decide on some games and accessories. Ordered FIFA and Hot Shots from Amazon and the official cradle and travel pouch from there since I had gift cards to pay for it all. Going to pick up a couple of games from Best Buy on launch day with gift cards, just not sure which ones yet. Thinking UMvC3 and maybe Wipeout. I want Uncharted, but I still have to finish U3 on PS3 and I want to wait until the price drops from $50.

UberTag

$26?

Bitch plea-wait what?
Most of the Vita launch titles were marked down to $25.99 if ordered at BestBuy.ca during E3 last year.
Still not as good of a deal as getting Uncharted for $0 (Best Buy's Reward Zone offer for FEB purchasers) but still pretty sweet.

Lothars

I'd like to know how good the netcode is for BlazBlue and UMvC3, before I get any of those games.
I was reading they are both pretty good but it was a post in another thread, Honestly if they netcode on both are equal to Super Street Fighter 4 on the 3DS, I will be more than happy to play online with them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Why is nobody picking Rayman? Is the game that bad/short?

Game is awesome. Not really short, either. In terms of content/replayability, it stacks up to the best full-priced platformers of this gen. I'm going to buy it eventually, but I played a ton of the PS3 version so I'm in no rush.

btkadams

i have it for ps3. i'll probably get it for vita when the price drops down the road. i don't want to buy the game for a second time at full price. it's a great game though. i highly recommend it if you don't already own it.

Price drop on console versions came really quick. I expect the same with Vita version so I don't want to bite at $40.

It's not short.

Game is awesome. Not really short, either. In terms of content/replayability, it stacks up to the best full-priced platformers of this gen. I'm going to buy it eventually, but I played a ton of the PS3 version so I'm in no rush.

i have it for ps3. i'll probably get it for vita when the price drops down the road. i don't want to buy the game for a second time at full price. it's a great game though. i highly recommend it if you don't already own it.

I'm going to buying it day 1. Don't have the PS3 version. I didn't pre-order any game because AT&T or Sony hasn't told us what the free "3G activation" game is.

Thanks for the answer guys. I don't have HD version, and I never played Rayman before, but I really love 2D art, and I figured it would be nice to get something gf can play as well.

Takuan

Lacks compelling character/art design, "old-school" gameplay. Do people even buy platformers that don't have Mario on the cover these days? By most accounts, the Rayman titles are quite excellent platformers, and even though I'm sure I could enjoy it, I can't bring myself to give enough of a fuck to do so. To be fair, I haven't cared about platformers in a long time, but most games lacking a style that appeals to me wind up getting passed over, sometimes regardless of critical reception.

Wazzim

Banned
it was ordered in june when bestbuy.ca was doing deals on e3 game preorders. i'm really glad i took advantage because it's basically 50% off lol.

damn it, Canadians. First cool bears walking through your cities then you steal our game studios and now these cheap deals, good job at making me jelly :p

Carl

Information from Escape Plan live chat

General

-Over 80 levels
-$14.99- no other confirmed currencies
-The initial levels are more about learning, but the games gets very satisfying on the difficulty level later on
-Escape Plan will be out on Feb 22nd in the US, and shortly thereafter worldwide
-We have a few things that will encourage players to go back and play the levels again. First, we rate how well you complete a room and we have trophies you can earn related to playing levels efficiently. We also have lots of little hidden collectables that you need to really be paying close attention to find. We put a few of them in really sneaky places.
-Each level is a single self contained room. We had all sorts of other ideas, but the one that worked the best was to allow players to see everything they needed to solve a level in a single room. It reduced confusion and kept the game from getting too complicated.
-Challenge mode - You guessed it...we challenge you to get through the game in under a certain number of deaths. We have additional challenges as well.
-We have had a great experience developing this for Sony and so all of us would love to continue forward with the world of Escape Plan as an even bigger franchise
- Something happens after they die a bit too much
-No timer here really...the idea is that you take all the time you need for most puzzles.
-Demo still "undetermined"

Story

--Escape Plan describes Lil and Laarg's experience getting out of their current situation.....trapped in a bizarre and odd factory, where they are doomed to be recycled into minions
--Actually, yes there are cutscenes! They are very stylized and are more storybook style than full motion renders, but we feel that the stylized 2d look was more appropriate.
-Yes this is a story driven game as well...each room links to the previous and next.
--I won't reveal the whole story, but I will say that they are not criminals. They are stuck here against their will. We leave a lot to the imagination, but they are def the good guys in this story.

Influences

-We were originally influenced by games such as Lost Vikings and classic Adventure Games on the PC. In terms of films and entertainment, a lot of people have claimed this is like Limbo or Tim Burton, but really we were more influenced by the short-fim "Rejected". We loved the dark sense of humor, and we responded well to the ideas of unique puzzles, multiple characters and an irreverent sense of humor that helped to tie everything together.
-The biggest inspiration in designing Escape Plan as it is today is easily said to be the Vita. The Vita offered us a unique control scheme that no other device offered. It is really a perfect match. Also...second biggest inspiration...farts.

DLC

-We hope to continue with lots more Escape Plan content, but nothing has been announced at this time. We really love these characters and the world that they live in, and so we'd be very happy to show more of their journey together
-IF we do any further content for Escape Plan, we will probably have a similar model to Fat Princess, where some content is a free push of sweet new stuff for the fans and some new features that are paid content

UGC

-We don't have a level editor that ships with the game, if that's what you mean. It's something to consider down the road, but we wanted to focus first on making the game's mechanics as slick as possible. UGC is def in our minds though. It seems like a good fit for this style game.

Controls

-It is a touch only game. We do use the sticks to control the camera, but we do not use the d-pad or buttons for direct control of the characters.
-We do use Gyro controls for tilting and steering while Lil is inflated, these are some of our most challenging and fun levels

Characters

-Laarg is a happy and jolly, no matter what happens. You will always hear a "WHEEEEEE" when falling, or giggle when entering a giant furnace....although there are grim circumstances at times, Laarg always looks on the bright side. Lil is a bit impatient and LOVES coffee....these characters both work together well, and their skills complement one another. Lil can dash quickly out of situations and activate buttons and levers, while Laarg can butt-smash and wall-smash to get them out of various situations too.
--Lil and Laarg were originally stick figures....but as we progressed, there wasn't a really satisfying splat or humor when they died and so they evolved into the characters you see today
-I think Sprockets from SNL definitely was swimming around in my head with a lot of other ideas that helped define these characters
-Lil and Laarg do, in fact, have unique abilities that give them specific paths thru the levels. I wouldn't say that they make the levels harder, exactly, but rather make their play experiences unique.

Working on PSV

-Hey we have Mike Nicolella here as well, one of our key programmers on the title - he says "YES!" It has been a pleasure to work on tools that are mature and a very straight-forward experience. It is also a beast, in terms of being a really powerful device

Trophies

-We have 13 trophies for Escape Plan that over all sorts of crazy things we ask you to do. Some are easy and 1 in particular will really put your Vita skills to the test.

Music

-The music has a very recognizable feel, yet still very vintage - the music is such a huge part of Escape Plan, we really wanted it to add to the experience that was very different than just background Musak, we wanted to deliver something that would help each level really pop and punctuate the action. Ren and Stimpy were a huge inspiration in our audio discussions...and you'll hear some of that with the familiar orchestral tracks and jazzy tunes that we've thrown in there

Best thing about Escape Plan

--The best part of Escape Plan is just the overall experience....pick it up, put your headphones on and enjoy this world; the art, the levels, the interaction with the device and the unique movements and deaths of Lil and Laarg all come together in such a different way, it is a refreshing experience as a whole

Describe Escape Plan in 5 words

-Lil, Laarg, Rubber Sheep, farts

phpaRldU0_thumb_EasyDoesIt_LilLaarg.jpg

php9A6kdT_thumb_Esc_GamesCom2011_04.jpg

php7F234c_thumb_Esc_GamesCom2011_07a_SELECTED.jpg

phpNRFY8E_thumb_Esc_GamesCom2011_07b.jpg

phpe5kEYw_thumb_Esc_GamesCom2011_03.jpg

phpSuGgvQ_thumb_Esc_GamesCom2011_02_SELECTED.jpg

phpq1Jjpu_thumb_Esc_GamesCom2011_01.jpg

php9jmQNE_thumb_TapThat.jpg

phpSnAyy1_thumb_Esc_GamesCom2011_06.jpg

Check out the whole thing here http://us.playstation.com/livechat/escapeplan.html

Deegs

Can't wait for Ashley's (GameStop's) call to tell me that my WiFi Vita is in. Grabbing a 16GB memory card alobg with Uncharted, Wipeout and Escape Plan. Really hoping I don't have to wait til May for Gravity Rush, that is one of the main reasons I want the system.

im sure this has been asked, but the 3g vita, i know it uses ATT but it's non contract right? like i never have to use the 3g if I want, and I still get the free PSN game?

CSSer

amazon.ca is shipping early?

Damn, mine hasn't shipped yet. I bundled my wifi vita and memory card together, so maybe that's why.

I'm choosing it for my launch title, over uncharted.

Never played the console versions.

Great so see fellow 2D art/platformer fans! Was getting worried, since everyone is talking about picking Wipeout or Uncharted. I'm not a big racing game fan, or Uncharted for that matter. Rayman will also cost me only 25EUR, plus I guess it will be appealing for my girlfriend as well (might also try showing her Lumines).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom