• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2012 (Feb 06 - Feb 12)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I expect Capcom to release a Portable Version of Dragon Dogma or Lost Planet for Vita, but i cant see MH being on two handhelds. Even though they could make some big money if they were able to pull it off and cater to both console userbases for every other year.

you know, i'll go one further - i expect to see some form of "proper" Monster Hunter on iOS (the current one doesn't count) at some point.

MH really is heading to as many platforms as it possibly can at least in -some- form - i'm sure we'll see it on Wii U as well in some form (MH4 HD?) or maybe even that version of MH i want that runs on the Dragon Dogma engine that doesn't exist anywhere outside my mind :/

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nice to see a Vita game hit the number two spot! Hardware sales are ugly, but with the exception of PS2 (sales explsion!) everyone experienced a drop.

luca1980

Banned
Vita needs a Final Fantasy title, STAT!

Pump out a quick FFV remake with new 2D art... like the previous PSP remakes. It's next in line, isn't it???

Edit: Or maybe a 2D remake of FFIII?

By the time se is capable of releasing a ff title on vita the system will be dead if se follows its usual developing time lol

I'm honestly confused by the defensiveness of PSVita supporters. When the 3DS was struggling many people felt comfortable calling it "doomed" or "bomba" but it's obviously bounced back very nicely. Perhaps Vita will do the same, perhaps it won't but in the meantime it seems fair that it gets the same skepticism 3DS got.

The difference being that the people saying "doomed" and "Bomba" were being foolish and unrealistic because the 3DS always had software that'd sell 1 million or more scheduled for the holiday season. Vita, as I've been saying before it's launch, that regardless of how well or bad the 3DS did it was going to do poorly because it doesn't have any killer apps. I'm tempted in saying it doesn't have anything that will sell 500K currently anounced.

The difference being that the people saying "doomed" and "Bomba" were being foolish and unrealistic because the 3DS always had software that'd sell 1 million or more scheduled for the holiday season. Vita, as I've been saying before it's launch, that regardless of how well or bad the 3DS did it was going to do poorly because it doesn't have any killer apps. I'm tempted in saying it doesn't have anything that will sell 500K currently anounced.

Agreed. This was always going to be the problem for the Vita. Nintendo has the mascots and Sony doesn't, atleast not for handhelds.

muu

I don't recall Jin as the actual source of this though. It was all over 2ch, posted anonymously by someone who claimed to be a game magazine editor. This entire chunk came from the same guy, since on 2ch you can see the posting ID of a post, to tell if different posts are from the same person. Lots of blog sites reported on it at the same time though.

I remember asking the same thing when I first saw this. Jin is definitely the source of this rumor, which does run counter to the usual "filter out pro-sony posts from ghard and pretend to be a fair news source" stance. The copy-paste jobs you saw on 2ch were all copies of this exact text (usually minus the source link), and doing a date check his comes up first (7/22/11).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
you know, i'll go one further - i expect to see some form of "proper" Monster Hunter on iOS (the current one doesn't count) at some point.

MH really is heading to as many platforms as it possibly can at least in -some- form - i'm sure we'll see it on Wii U as well in some form (MH4 HD?) or maybe even that version of MH i want that runs on the Dragon Dogma engine that doesn't exist anywhere outside my mind :/

A real MH isnt possible on iOS though - i dont see why Capcom would need to do it.
Other than that, i dont see Capcom pushing MH on too many plattforms - they will have their key places where to put it, just like SE had last generations with Dragon Quest.

The next console MH could be exclusive again to WiiU if Nintendo is willing again to keep it form PS3. They also could be workin on a new multiplattform MMO title for more plattforms, which probably depends on how much money they make with there monthly fees on that.

muu

what? Despite what some of us said about Vita currently lacking true killer apps for the Japanese market, many people contended that the Vita had the strongest launch lineup ever.

I expect Capcom to release a Portable Version of Dragon Dogma or Lost Planet for Vita, but i cant see MH being on two handhelds. Even though they could make some big money if they were able to pull it off and cater to both console userbases for every other year.

I can totally see this on 3DS.

jgmo870

Banned
A real MH isnt possible on iOS though - i dont see why Capcom would need to do it.
Other than that, i dont see Capcom pushing MH on too many plattforms - they will have their key places where to put it, just like SE had last generations with Dragon Quest.

The next console MH could be exclusive again to WiiU if Nintendo is willing again to keep it form PS3. They also could be workin on a new multiplattform MMO title for more plattforms, which probably depends on how much money they make with there monthly fees on that.

There's a huuuuge difference between MH and DQ, though. MH is now relegated to getting yearly entries of the big sellers. DQ has some remakes of the numbered titles but they never matched DQ9's sales. So let's say Capcom is foolish enough to only make big MH titles for the 3DS. With the route they're going, they'll oversaturate the market quickly.

Capcom could always put games on multiple platforms, and I'm sure they will, but they won't even touch home consoles anymore. They made that point clear when they announced MH4 for the 3DS. The only way I can see Capcom continue to milk the series for all its worth is to spread the series across the two portables. It's not like Capcom's history has shown much loyalty towards any one platform anyways.

disco

Capcom are doing really well out of the 3DS. I wish them luck and hope they don't just drop the platform despite having some great software. You can really tell they didn't want to miss out on the platform like they did with the DS. Iwata must have totally sat them down and told them who's boss.

By the time se is capable of releasing a ff title on vita the system will be dead if se follows its usual developing time lol

Regardless of when an FF title releases.

I think the FF brand itself simply isn't that important anymore...the strength of the brand when PSP launched compared to the strength of the brand now is worlds apart (its far lower now).

No FF title on Vita is going to come to "save" it...the time FF could "save" a system is long gone...

Vita needs a Monster Hunter, new colours, DQ title & maybe just one of those evergreen titles.

randomkid

What's the error on Media Create estimates anyways? 3200 just seems like such a miniscule week to week difference in raw terms.

Maedhros

If I remember correctly, only Mario Kart 7 was announced really early. Both MH3G and SM3DL were announced on a later date (SM3DL was teased at some event and they revealed on E3). MH was shown at E3 too. Before that... nothing. Just promises of other games not-so-big games.

Give Vita some fucking time before dismissing it as dead, because the 3DS was just as dead before E3 (with better sales, as Japan loves Nintendo portables).

The good thing is Japanese developers announce handheld games pretty close to release date (except that one company with stupid game titles). So Vita can still do well even on TGS if Sony manages to announce something for Fall 2012.

Agreed. This was always going to be the problem for the Vita. Nintendo has the mascots and Sony doesn't, atleast not for handhelds.

I agree, unfortunately Sony has nothing that even comes close to Mario and Zelda. They might've had something with Crash, then after PSX they ran him into the ground. Next mascot (Sackboy?) will take at least 10 years.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If I remember correctly, only Mario Kart 7 was announced really early. Both MH3G and SM3DL were announced on a later date (SM3DL was teased at some event and they revealed on E3). MH was shown at E3 too. Before that... nothing. Just promises of other games not-so-big games.

Give Vita some fucking time before dismissing it as dead, because the 3DS was just as dead before E3 (with better sales, as Japan loves Nintendo portables).

Actually a Mario game on the system was known pretty early on, we just didn't know it's name etc

MH3G was announced just before TGS.
And 3DS had RE: Revelations, KH3D: Dream Drop Distance, announced.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

Beyond those announcements, we had media for many big hitters the moment the system was formally unveiled. Not just empty promises.

luca1980

Banned
Regardless of when an FF title releases.

I think the FF brand itself simply isn't that important anymore...the strength of the brand when PSP launched compared to the strength of the brand now is worlds apart (its far lower now).

No FF title on Vita is going to come to "save" it...the time FF could "save" a system is long gone...

Vita needs a Monster Hunter, new colours, DQ title & maybe just one of those evergreen titles.

Vita needs next kiseki titles and a port of trails 2 so xseed can release it on vita in English.
Wishfull thinking aside capcom will announce a mh on vita which will use vita hi end graphics and controls I am sure. Yet it will take its time but it won't be that different than psp coming which was just after a while.
I think it will be ps4 the major problem for Sony. Vita at least seems to be a pretty solid hw and Japanese third party support will come

what? Despite what some of us said about Vita currently lacking true killer apps for the Japanese market, many people contended that the Vita had the strongest launch lineup ever.

Lol no. Yes it may have appealed to some people and had a better launch lineup than some systems but in no way was any of the software going to sell much. Also, I believe the people saying Vita is the best launch lineup ever are talking about the western launch not the japanese one.

Never said the games were bad just that there was nothing anounced so far is likely going to sell more than 500K in the Vita lineup.

Mario Kart 7 was unveiled when the 3DS was unveiled along with Kingdom Hearts, Nintendogs, Professor Layton, Resident Evil, Animal Crossing, Street Fighter 4, and The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Super Mario 3D Land was anounced a month after the system launched in Japan. All of these high profile titles were already known to be coming to the system prior to it's launch date. There were always big games coming to the system from it's anouncement and more game anouncements followed(and cancellations came in as well). 2D Mario and Pokemon are also guaranteed to hit the system. Monster Hunter was anounced at TGS in September.

I never said the Vita was dead. I just said it has no software anounced that will sell better than 500K which doesn't give it a bright outlook. I was saying the big difference between saying the 3DS is doomed and the Vita is doomed is that 3DS always had million selling software coming for it while the Vita doesn't.

The good thing is Japanese developers announce handheld games pretty close to release date (except that one company with stupid game titles). So Vita can still do well even on TGS if Sony manages to announce something for Fall 2012.

I agree, unfortunately Sony has nothing that even comes close to Mario and Zelda. They might've had something with Crash, then after PSX they ran him into the ground. Next mascot (Sackboy?) will take at least 10 years.

Super Smash Brothers, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, I mean wow.

Mr Swine

Banned

Problem is that you really can't give Vita time to recover. Look at what happened with the GameCube, even with the big hitters it couldn't do anything against the PS2. That is what is happening with Vita

Zenaku

.... #headinhands

Can someone make this stop?

Here is what the article was basically saying in that regard :

Hi i'm a games reporter - recently a source working at a publisher that i can't name said "we canceled one of our Vita games and moved it to 3ds". You know, when you think about it Japans big publishers must be looking at 4m sales of 3DS and the 500k of vita and will be seeing how attractive the 3DS is! #Vitadoomed

Basically : <whispers> INDUSTRY SOURCES! </whispers> followed by personal speculation != any credibility at all.

Now, I'm not saying the Nikkei artice is correct, but as I've seen you post the same thing twice, I thought I'd go ahead and correct you:

The quote in the Nikkei article didn't say "a publisher cancelled one game", it said "a large publisher has cancelled all Vita games in development, and has switched to 3DS development".

Again, I'm not claiming the article to be true; I'm just correcting you on how the quote says "all" Vita games were cancelled, not just one (I don't believe it claims they were all moved to 3DS either, some may have been cancelled completely).

More on topic, does anyone know how New LovePlus is doing? Initially I was rated high on the eShop (2nd I believe) but has dropped to around 10th, still at 5 stars. There are blogs reporting plenty of bugs in the game too, after having transferred save data, or when just using the 3DS sideways (like the DS was held in the prequels). I suppose I'll find out how often the bugs occur after my copy arrives tomorrow, but I can't help but think the bugs may affect the sales after the first few days.

Also, on the Monster Hunter front:

While the MH series is fully capable of having 3 series simultaneously (main series, Portable series, and Frontier) it doesn't deny that a MH game on Vita would split the userbase, as only one of the 3 series could be played on buses/trains or during school lunch breaks up until now (the Portable series). Having 2 series on portables could force those MH fans to choose between one or the other, and give rise to situations where groups of friends can't all play together because they don't have the same system.

Personally, I'm of the belief that the main series move to the 3DS was less Nintendo paying Capcom money, and more Capcom wanting to place their higher budget MH series in an area where it would earn better sales and a better profit margin (portables).

Maedhros

Problem is that you really can't give Vita time to recover. Look at what happened with the GameCube, even with the big hitters it couldn't do anything against the PS2. That is what is happening with Vita

Yeah, but it would be good to see people discussing solutions instead of just stating "Vita is dead". Since I registered on this forum, it's a constant. Every thread has someone posting this.

jgmo870

Banned
Also, on the Monster Hunter front:

While the MH series is fully capable of having 3 series simultaneously (main series, Portable series, and Frontier) it doesn't deny that a MH game on Vita would split the userbase, as only one of the 3 series could be played on buses/trains or during school lunch breaks up until now (the Portable series). Having 2 series on portables could force those MH fans to choose between one or the other, and give rise to situations where groups of friends can't all play together because they don't have the same system.

Personally, I'm of the belief that the main series move to the 3DS was less Nintendo paying Capcom money, and more Capcom wanting to place their higher budget MH series in an area where it would earn better sales and a better profit margin (portables).

Capcom doesn't care about that whatsoever. They've split userbases before and they'll do it again. And since the 3DS's MH games won't be getting close to MHP3rd's numbers any time soon if at all, they're probably not going to second guess making exclusives for each handheld. Also, I can see a good handful of reasons for why they moved it to the 3DS:

1. It's cheaper than making a console game.
2. The series is more popular on handhelds.
3. They already have the assets to make a game for the 3DS but they don't have them for a Vita version.
4. Nintendo is pitching in for advertisement and stuff like that.

You just proved my point. All of the above are Nintendo franchises.

Oh, I know. I fully agree with you. It's one of the reasons I've said for some time that the Vita is in trouble world wide, not just in Japan. When the PSP and DS were released the smart phone as a gaming device was a thought for the future so it was easier to justify purchasing both PSP and DS for many gamers. Now that the iPhone and Android have taken off, IMO it's there isn't a large body of people who are willing to purchase three portable devices for games so the 3DS and Vita are vying for the same customer. Nintendo has the huge upper-hand due to its 1st party franchises.

massoluk

Banned
Mario Kart 7 was unveiled when the 3DS was unveiled along with Kingdom Hearts, Nintendogs, Professor Layton, Resident Evil, Animal Crossing, Street Fighter 4, and The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Super Mario 3D Land was anounced a month after the system launched in Japan. All of these high profile titles were already known to be coming to the system prior to it's launch date. There were always big games coming to the system from it's anouncement and more game anouncements followed(and cancellations came in as well). 2D Mario and Pokemon are also guaranteed to hit the system. Monster Hunter was anounced at TGS in September.

I never said the Vita was dead. I just said it has no software anounced that will sell better than 500K which doesn't give it a bright outlook. I was saying the big difference between saying the 3DS is doomed and the Vita is doomed is that 3DS always had million selling software coming for it while the Vita doesn't.

You forgot Hudson Soft and THQ's Saint Row.

I agree that Sony is tight-lipped on the game front, at least past E3 (and that is only for the west, I have no idea if anything is coming out until June in Japan).

I hope they will announce something at GDC, and then at E3.

Bullza2o

Good to see modest sales for GD, but I was expecting a big increase in Vita hardware sales. I hope Vita does well because I just bought one, dangit. Hopefully E3 Sony will show some big hitters.

Huff

Banned
I've seen this a couple times and don't really understand it. Why would releasing a game on two competing portable systems (MH) hurt sales, but releasing a game on competing consoles simultaneously help sales for the publisher? Isn't it the same thing? One game on more systems will bring more sales?

donny2112

Right now, the Vita has certain things in the hardware would might also make this sort of split feasible in theory: open world games and shooters which require two analog sticks to work properly.

Circle Pad Pro could also allow multi-platform versions of those. DS didn't have a way to match PSP's graphics via an adaptor, but it has a way to match two sticks. Therefore, even that isn't near as much an advantage for Vita over 3DS as graphics were for PSP over DS.

The "PS2 dying leaving PSP as an option" development reason was viable, yes, but with next console generation possibly not being that much over this generation (compared to historically) and/or much more scalable, it may not make as much a deal there, either. That would be something for a few years from now, though, so still not a source of immediate hope for Vita.

You can sort of look at last handheld generation as two generations. DS from 2004 through 2008 with a swansong of DQIX in 2009, and then PSP for 2008-2011 with a swansong of MHP3rd in really late 2010/2011. 3DS would've then started for 2011-something, and then maybe Vita 201x-something, if it goes like last generation. Don't see the elements to make such a split generation happen this time around, but if it did, the "PS360 dying leaving PSV as an option" could be part of a reason.

PSV bomba sales make me happy, just like 3DS bomba sales made me happy.

Its an excellent message to Nintendo and Sony: "Fuck you, we want to pay reasonable prices"

Nintendo got the message, now it's Sonys turn.

And hopefully the message sticks around. If we see a $350 Wii U and a $600 PS4, I guess its obvious the message failed.

Kazerei

Banned
Yeah, but it would be good to see people discussing solutions instead of just stating "Vita is dead". Since I registered on this forum, it's a constant. Every thread has someone posting this.

I think there's been a pretty healthy discussion. What the Vita needs is system-selling software, and MonHan probably isn't going to help it this time around. That's what I got from this thread.

Truth101

Banned
They're not that good. Yeah, they allow these type of games to work... but will people buy it?

Also, I doubt the 3DS can handle big open world games... Vita has Gravity Daze right now, and the world is huge in that.

Do you have any reason you think that, or is it just cause.

Gaborn

Its an excellent message to Nintendo and Sony: "Fuck you, we want to pay reasonable prices"

And hopefully the message sticks around. If we see a $350 Wii U and a $600 PS4, I guess its obvious the message failed.

I'm not sure these two price points are comparable. I think Nintendo would have a MUCH easier time justifying a $350 Wii U than Sony would a $600 PS4.

You can sort of look at last handheld generation as two generations. DS from 2004 through 2008 with a swansong of DQIX in 2009, and then PSP for 2008-2011 with a swansong of MHP3rd in really late 2010/2011. 3DS would've then started for 2011-something, and then maybe Vita 201x-something, if it goes like last generation. Don't see the elements to make such a split generation happen this time around, but if it did, the "PS360 dying leaving PSV as an option" could be part of a reason.
Actually id say pokemon b/w was its swan song.

Sony didn't get that message with ps3 or psp. Also pricing wasn't an issue with sony. 250 is a good price for the system. The problem is them designing hardware that is too highend which creates the high price and not having the software to back it up. Nintendo did have a pricing issue because it was dramatically higher than it needed to be. Granted id argue with the right software nintendo still would've done fine with that pricepoint.

antonz

Numbers for the Vita are trending downward at an unhealthy pace. With Nikkei reporting developers are already abandoning ship and going back to the 3DS Sony needs a huge turn around.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Does anyone recall how dismal Japanese PS3 sales were in the early goings? I can recall a month or two when even the 360 beat it.

It wasn't so much the lack of interest, but rather the high price that kept people away. Perhaps Vita sales will grow once the system price comes down to a level that Japanese consumers are possibly waiting for.

They're not that good. Yeah, they allow these type of games to work... but will people buy it?

Also, I doubt the 3DS can handle big open world games... Vita has Gravity Daze right now, and the world is huge in that.

Lol, really?
Ps2 had three big GTA titles. 3ds can do ps2 ports. Do the math...

antonz

I can't imagine developers jumping ship before a system has had the chance to release worldwide.

Nikkei isnt in the business of false news and it didnt take long at all for 3DS projects to get put on hold etc when initial sales sucked compared to expectations. Japan developers tend to look at Japan first and formost when it comes time for them to invest in a title.

Does anyone recall how dismal Japanese PS3 sales were in the early goings? I can recall a month or two when even the 360 beat it.

It wasn't so much the lack of interest, but rather the high price that kept people away. Perhaps Vita sales will grow once the system price comes down to a level that Japanese consumers are possibly waiting for.

Except that was the PS3. A home console which was competing with an American console and the Nintendo Wii. This is a Sony handheld that is competing with the 3DS which is off to a very large lead and a smart phone market. Can't compare the two situations.

There is a huge difference between the PS3's situation and the PSV's situation. The PS3 had support lined up for it (Final Fantasy XIII, Gran Turismo, and others), it had a really high initial price (like the PSV I guess) leaving room for pricedrops, and really there was no other viable HD alternative on the market in Japan. The separation between where the Wii and PS3 were is much larger than the gap between 3DS and PSV. The 3DS also already has the userbase and games to add incentive for developers.

Ezduo

Banned

PSP had two GTA's didn't it? Isn't the 3DS at least as powerful as a PSP?

With Nikkei reporting developers are already abandoning ship and going back to the 3DS Sony needs a huge turn around.
Do you have a link to a full translation of the article or anything?

Top Bottom