• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Meat: 3DS eShop has a 2GB limit for DD. [Misquoted, not true]

I'm arguing that the limit is too high, not too low! Try reading my posts. I posted that because Luigiv thinks that the size of future 3DS eshop games will never increase based on the size of current games.

Ah yes, I'm bringing in my NCW theory here (Nintendo Can't Win)

40mb? Too low!

2GB! TOO DAMN HIGH!

What the hell happened to your tag?!

---
2GB is quite a lot, but I would like a limit that would grow along the game carts, so every game could potentially be DD as well; that is, I like Vita pretty more.

But I guess retailers and also people who can't download higher sized files, won't like it (because the focus will go that way, some niche retail games may not even get published and go only DD)
I wouldn't assume the current 2GB limit for digital games precludes 4GB+ retail games from getting eShop releases. It's exactly the same on XBL; 2GB limit on XBLA and no limit for GOD.

I think the way Nintendo's going to navigate retail with eShop DD is to treat retail rereleases on it somewhat like a budget program. So only games that meet certain thresholds (sales numbers, shelf life, etc) and they'll probably be budget priced too (say $9.99-$19.99).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You're right, there's definitely no inconvenience whatsoever involved with having to buy several memory cards and manage data between them and your PC every time you want to play a game because Nintendo allows lazy developers to bloat their games as much as they want. Cleaning out the fridge is fun!

There's still economic pressure to make a game as small as possible. It's in devs best interests to get it down as much as they can.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
So a class 6 SD ultra 16 gig, is that good?

Research the read and write speeds first. Although a card may be listed as Class 10, sometimes the actual speeds aren't up to spec.

I bought a class 10 8 gig Transcend card the other day and the read/write speeds aren't much better than the default card that came with the 3ds. So do your homework.

RIP 2GB limit

@SuperMeatBoy said:
Misquoted in an interview. I don't know what the eShop size limit is. Some editorial liberties were taken with what I said.
@SuperMeatBoy said:
Original Quote on size restrictions: "...or if they do they are reasonable restrictions (40MB is horrible....2GB is reasonable)."

BY2K

Membero Americo
Jesus goddamn Christ, can "journalist" pleeeeeaaaase stop misquoting and badly interpret what everbody is saying!? Feels like it happened a lot lately.

Do your job right, for God's sake!

Eusis

So it was just him comparing WiiWare and XBLA there, only for the interviewer to be stupid and misinterpret that. Figures. Though it WOULD be smart to keep the potential limit all the way up to 32 GB and only restrict based on what they feel is appropriate at the time, like Microsoft did before finally cracking and allowing 2 GB games.

Jesus goddamn Christ, can "journalist" pleeeeeaaaase stop misquoting and badly interpret what everbody is saying!? Feels like it happened a lot lately.

Do your job right, for God's sake!

Good way to get hits though. Would half this thread read this article if it said exactly what he said?

Since one block is 128KB, this means MSF is 206.976 KB, so 202MB and something else.

So, the Wii was 40MB.
The DSi was 16MB.
The 3DS is over 200MB minimum.
That's still a fairly large jump.
I do wonder if the 3DS has a limit at all, honestly.
Wish a dev would speak up on this matter.

beril

There's a 40MB limit on Wiiware games? That seems really small.

When the Xbox 360 was released the size limit for XBLA was 50MB, then it was raised to 150, and I believe it was 250MB in 2008 and then a while later the size limit was removed completely. When the service was introduced, Wiiware wasn't really behind the curve at all, but for obvious reasons they could never raise the limit in the same manner

While I haven't played through the whole game, I find it quite hard to believe that Super Meat Boy couldn't be optimized down to 40 MB.

MegaByte

Research the read and write speeds first. Although a card may be listed as Class 10, sometimes the actual speeds aren't up to spec.

I bought a class 10 8 gig Transcend card the other day and the read/write speeds aren't much better than the default card that came with the 3ds. So do your homework.
I got a Class 10 UHS-I 32GB SanDisk card (rated 95MB/s), but it doesn't really help on the 3DS. It works great on PC, so I guess the 3DS is the bottleneck.

Those are usually just timed exclusives, since plenty of DD games launch on PC and PSN several months after XBLA.

Team Meat have been very explicit about having a contractual limitation with Microsoft that prevents them from ever releasing on PSN, regardless of what they "usually" are. In fact, they've also gone on record a few times as saying that the deal with Sony was just timing -- they submitted to both, Sony didn't get back to them, Microsoft did with a deal that they thought was worth jumping on immediately.

Basically, I don't know where you got this, but I'm confident it is not true.

His point still stands though, considering that they knew they were limited to 40 MB on Wiiware there's really no excuse for their inability to build the game to that specification.

Sure there is: delivering the game they wanted, with the soundtrack they wanted, without any compromises necessitated by Nintendo's incompetent platform management of WiiWare.

Given that Super Meat Boy was a massive commercial and critical success and Team Meat are now millionaires as a result, I don't think they're really missing the twenty-seven sales they lost on the WiiWare version.

GameE

It is still NintEvery fault. They posted a story without checking the magazine for themself & posted the information incorrectly.

What you said doesnt make any sense. The quote in the OP is the exact quote from the magazine word for word. They didnt misquote, Nintendo Gamer did. ;) The magazine is just causing problems like always lately.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I got a Class 10 UHS-I 32GB SanDisk card (rated 95MB/s), but it doesn't really help on the 3DS. It works great on PC, so I guess the 3DS is the bottleneck.
Indeed. SD UHS speeds are achievable on UHS-compliant hosts, and the 3DS is not one.

Pociask

Given that Super Meat Boy was a massive commercial and critical success and Team Meat are now millionaires as a result, I don't think they're really missing the twenty-seven sales they lost on the WiiWare version.

Man, burrrn. It hurts because it's true.

Except not really, a high quality game with a lot of hype behind it like Super Meat Boy would have easily sold an extra 50-100k copies if it had come out on Wiiware.

Much like your ludicrous position about the size limits, this is a stance completely unmoored from any sense of objective reality. We have plenty of information about all this stuff. We know that there are no fewer than four other actively supported gaming platforms today with no download size limits and that there are zero games on these services that arbitrarily bulk up to some size that's a meaningful inconvenience to customers for no reason. We know (from past Nintendo consoles, even!) that finished games shoved into arbitrary size limits wind up with significant and unavoidable downgrades. We even know (again, from multiple sources) that WiiWare sales are significantly poorer than any other DD-game platform, that they've been tanking for several years now with no reversal in sight, and that they aren't generally worth the effort to pursue given the hoops that are necessary to do so.

These are all things which are established so well as to be within the realm of known facts. Nobody tackling any of these topics with consideration and objectivity is reaching anything but the conclusions I describe, specifically because the evidence is so well-supported. At some point you really just have to stop, take a step back, and calibrate your opinions to things that actually happen in the world.

We also know that games like Mega Man 9 and 10, Sonic 4 et al. have sold better on Wiiware than on XBLA. I know that you're completely ignorant as to what types of games exist on Wiiware and you think that being limited to 40 MB means that the service can only handle Atari 2600 games, but your perception is far from reality.

Top Bottom